Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Top 25 One Hit Wonders 1990's

Guest web_norah

Guest web_norah

Glide compiled a list of the 25 best one-hit-wonders from the 1990's. They included Top 40 and college radio staples, the only requirement being the song had to be "part of pop culture iconography."

1. "Nothing Compares 2 U" - Sinead O'Connor (1990)

2. "Black Velvet" - Alannah Myles (1990)

3. "What's Up?" - 4-Non Blondes (1993)

4. "No Rain" - Blind Melon (1992)

5. "Laid" - James (1993)

6. "I Touch Myself" - The Divinyls (1991)

7. "Song 2" - Blur (1997)

8. "No Myth" - Michael Penn (1990)

9. "Cannonball" - The Breeders (1993)

10. "Torn" - Natalie Imbruglia (1998)

11. "Girl Like You" - Edwin Collins (1995)

12. "I'm Too Sexy" - Right Said Fred (1992)

13. "Tubthumper" - Chumbawumba (1997)

14. "I Know" - Dionne Farris (1993)

15. "MMMBop" - Hanson (1997)

16. "Seether" - Veruca Salt (1994)

17. "Fade into You" - Mazzy Starr (1993)

18. "Natural One" - Folk Implosion (1995)

19. "Bitch" - Meredith Brooks (1997)

20. "Bad Reputation" - Freedy Johnston (1994)

21. "Closing Time" - Semisonic (1998)

22. "I'd Walk (500 Miles)" - Proclaimers (1993)

23. "Flagpole Sitta" - Harvey Danger (1998)

24. "Connection" - Elastica (1994)

25. "Right Here, Right Now" - Jesus Jones (1991)

Guest michael^heaven

---Since when is Sinead O'Connor a one-hit wonder??icon_scratch.gif

Guest Devilicious

my thoughts exactly ???

Guest web_norah

my thoughts exactly ???

name another great hit by Sinead O'Connor then

Guest LeVeL

She is considered a 1 hit wonder in the States but in Europe she remained consistant years after that hit.

You know who I am shocked to not see in that list is the guy who sang that MAMBO #5 track . Wasn't that released at the end of the 90's?

Guest web_norah

She is considered a 1 hit wonder in the States but in Europe she remained consistant years after that hit.

You know who I am shocked to not see in that list is the guy who sang that MAMBO #5 track . Wasn't that released at the end of the 90's?

i think that's more like a latin / pop song, isnt it?

Guest LeVeL

The wasn't latin at all...the song was actually a POP song if anything it probably had a Mambo beat to it but it had all the makings of a POP song. I mean even MTV was playing it, and any station station at the time that was playing pop music was playing that track.

Guest Devilicious

my thoughts exactly ???

name another great hit by Sinead O'Connor then

I don't have to. She's enjoyed cummulative success without chart-topping singles. A one hit wonder has brief hightened popularity due to one song only then falls off the musical map.

Guest web_norah

sorry but i have to agree with Level, she enjoyed great success in Europe maybe, but her career took a nosedive big time and no other song of hers made any impact after "Nothing Compares To You".

Guest LeVeL

I don't have to. She's enjoyed cummulative success without chart-topping singles. A one hit wonder has brief hightened popularity due to one song only then falls off the musical map.

She obviously made money but she is still a 1 hit wonder...so your point izzzzzzzzzzz

Guest The_Man

I'd def put Mambo #5 in there as well as "Unbelievable". I can't remember who did it but it came out in 1991. And if Blur is in there, why isn't Sir Mix A Lot? To my knowledge, "Baby Got Back" is his only top 40 song.

Guest durrtylexx
22. "I'd Walk (500 Miles)" - Proclaimers (1993)

this song made me crazy.. god i hated it and still do..

no macarena?

Guest michael^heaven

sorry but i have to agree with Level, she enjoyed great success in Europe maybe, but her career took a nosedive big time and no other song of hers made any impact after "Nothing Compares To You".

---Both of her songs Mandinka & Troy reached the UK Top 20 in 1988 upon the release of her album Lion and the Cobra. The album I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got reached #1 in seventeen countries & also earned Sinead four Grammy nominations. In addition, the song Nothing Compares To You went straight to #1 worldwide upon its release as a single off the same album. Granted, she has not achieved the same success with her later albums but her overall music career far surpassed the one-time accomplishment of a one-hit wonder. ;)

Guest LeVeL

---Both of her songs Mandinka & Troy reached the UK Top 20 in 1988 upon the release of her album Lion and the Cobra. The album I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got reached #1 in seventeen countries & also earned Sinead four Grammy nominations. In addition, the song Nothing Compares To You went straight to #1 worldwide upon its release as a single off the same album. Granted, she has not achieved the same success with her later albums but her overall music career far surpassed the one-time accomplishment of a one-hit wonder. ;)

Yeah exactly what I said in my prior post but in a shortened version..lol

"Unbelievable". I can't remember who did it but it came out in 1991.

EMF was the group . And i remember this off the top of my head. I have way too much useless 80's and 90's songs in my head.

Sir Mix Alot was not a one hit wonder -

he also had " Swass"

My Posse's on Broadway Lyrics

Put 'Em on the Glass Lyrics

Buttermilk Bisquits Lyrics

Guest JMT

i would have to take minor exception to Semisonic and Blind Melon. both had hits after their initial success, and airplay on MTV, but to the casual music fan they get overlooked. i think there are also a few on there who may have been one hit wonders, but they are using the term "hit" kinda loosely. for example, while "fade" is a great song and mazzy starr's only song of note, i dont think it was ever that big. still a decent list though. and i cant name a single skinhead o'connor track besides that one.

Guest The_Man

"Unbelievable". I can't remember who did it but it came out in 1991.

EMF was the group . And i remember this off the top of my head. I have way too much useless 80's and 90's songs in my head.

Sir Mix Alot was not a one hit wonder -

he also had " Swass"

My Posse's on Broadway Lyrics

Put 'Em on the Glass Lyrics

Buttermilk Bisquits Lyrics

Yup, EMF is it. I knew that for such a long time and couldn't remember yesterday. Just too lazy to look it up. :P

I mentioned Sir Mix A Lot as a one hit wonder because I don't think Blur should be in there. It doesn't surprise me that he had other songs that did not affect the mainstream as much. I mean, they have a greatest hits compilation for Christ's sake!!