Clubplanet Nightlife Community

LOVE YOUR PET? Check this out...

Guest Diabolique

Guest Diabolique

I watched this last night on Dateline NBC: PET NATION (6 parts)

It was about pets and their owners. It was chock full of statistics, like 68% of pet pwners talk baby talk to their pets, they dress them and throw parties for them. There was this one couple, the wife made her dogs' clothes, blew his hair out what looked like everyday. The husband took him for rides on his motercycle. When the dog was doggie-napped (as they called it) they put up 1,000 flyers, and then offered $1000 and no questions asked. Within an hour someone responded. They arranged for a cop to follow him because he suspected someone might keep the dog and rob him. When the informant arrived with two girls in tow, and the dog, she thought she was going to be arrested. The couple just wanted their dog back.

Then they threw their dog a $30,000 party, a fund raiser for animal shelters. the owner AND their dogs showed up in tuxes, and frou frou dresses, it was hilarious! There were people who want to do botox and cosmetic precedures on their dog, and they even have $45,000 diamonds for dogs' ears, called, rich bitch or something like that...

They had all kinds of beds for these dogs, some costing thousands of dollars, and there's some luxury cat hotel in Los Angeles. Not near as much love for the cats. no self respecting cat would ever let their owners dress them. They showed a woman who had her desceased taxidermied, but she had kids, and I thoght it was in bad taste to teach them that not letting go is O.K.. If you can't deal with he fact that pets lives span only 10 -15 years, you should consider not having pets. One of my friends is like that, and they just don't bother. Then it showed a woman who had her cats' DNA used to make a clone.

intersting stats:

-there are 365 million pets in the US

-pet owners visit the vet more than their general practitioner.

-60+% of pet owner kiss their pets

-?%, but many would risk their lives for their pet, & often treat them as family (but of course! ).

I must point out though, that the word 'psychtherapy' came up frequently during the show. All of the extreme pet owners looked like they lost a few marbles, esp that taxidermy woman...

Guest Diabolique

my problem with pet owners are the losers who own dogs yet live in an apt.....

I do think that is kind of mean, if the dog is at least mid-sized. They need room to play. I want a dog, but am waiting a few years, until I have a back yard. It's only fair to the dog, IMO.Now having a little dog, for an aprtment, I think that is reasonable. I really liked the doggie day care. That's a great idea for commuters who can't return home to walk the dog, and the dog can make friends, and have space to play all day, instead of being stuck in doors at home with nothing to do..

Guest swirlundergrounder

I do agree somewhat to what Saleen is saying. I used to live in a 2 bedroom apt about 2 years ago about 800 sq ft with a huge 275 sq foot deck. I have a small dog (a Rat Terrier cousin of the Jack Russell). The guy next to me had a 1 bedroom apt with a small deck and he had 2 full sized Great Danes!! The girl across from us has huge Dalmation in her one bedroom. The dogs were always barking cuz they were bored all day. Plus the guy with the 2 great danes used to leave them on his small deck while he was at work during the day and it used to piss me off in the morning bcuz all they did was bark at people down below on the street and Great Danes have that low pitched bark with a sound that carries far...People used to call the cops all the time to complain but nothing was ever done...

I felt bad for those dogs..I have townhouse now and my dog has plenty more room to run around in....

When I get a house hopefully in the next 2 years, I'm going to go to the Miami Dade Animal Shelter were I got my Rat Terrier and adopt one of those big dogs on their death row in the back....

Guest swirlundergrounder

I watched this last night on Dateline NBC: PET NATION (6 parts)

intersting stats:

-pet owners visit the vet more than their general practitioner.

True. I brought my animals (3 cats(2 now since Mister died), 1 dog) to the vet more times in the last year than I've been to the doctor in the last 10 years...

Guest Devilicious

This is why I had to give up my baby Zoe, a sweet as pie chocolate lab. :'( :'( :'(

Guest Electric Eel

Depends on the type of dog, I have an English Bulldog, I take her out for a 10 min walk and shes exhausted when she comes home. Not all dogs need room to run around but when she does i'm happy to be living in the Grove where there are 2 dog parks we can go to.

I do agree with you about bigger dogs, some neighbors of mine have big dogs and I think its crazy to keep them in an apt like mine.

Guest Diabolique

Just relaxing on a hot summer day

x1pc_jqddVOWRmtdaGDzJ5xXJYUk4BZAV6NYA8uR07CtrbqVA6WLQuEria-lXq-FG6xIepcOqVufYm29-DPAZcPnZQf6THA2JqX

I think I'm in love :-* TiltMiami, you're is adorable too, but I looove basset hounds' big droopy eyes.

I would love if you would all post your pets pix..I'm doin' it! ;D

Guest Devilicious

IMG_0138.jpg

sorry if it's big, but he's just the cutest puppy in the whole world.

He weighs 110 lbs now though!

Bruno I love your dog!