Clubplanet Nightlife Community

My First FF complaint

Guest LdySphynx

Guest LdySphynx

Ok everything has been running smooth until yesterday..........my webpages freeze up for a few seconds and then come back to normal!!!

I thought it was a virus I did a virus scan(came up clean) I did a Disk Cleanup, Defragmented my Hard Drive, Ran my Microsoft Spyware Scan......and last I unistalled FF and reinstalled it again and it still does it!!!

I go online with IE and I browse without any problems, so I was just wondering if this was happening to anyone else?

Did you "Clear Disk Cache" on the FF browser preferences?

Maybe even set it up a little more than 50mb. Also, I set to only accept cookies for the session...

BTW, Microsoft Anti Spyware is #3 on my list. There's 2 better out there.

Guest macboy

Is it for all webpaes or just some of them? Netscape was like that and I think it affected many Mozilla-based browsers. Defnitely not a virus. First version of Safari (Mozilla) also suffered from that.

Guest LdySphynx

Is it for all webpaes or just some of them? Netscape was like that and I think it affected many Mozilla-based browsers. Defnitely not a virus. First version of Safari (Mozilla) also suffered from that.

Yep it's on all of them!!!

Guest LdySphynx

Did you "Clear Disk Cache" on the FF browser preferences?

Maybe even set it up a little more than 50mb. Also, I set to only accept cookies for the session...

BTW, Microsoft Anti Spyware is #3 on my list. There's 2 better out there.

Yep did all that I actually have it to 80 and I have to also only accept cookies for the current session.

So what other spyware do you recommend??

In this order....

1. Spybot 1.3 - Search for it, don't remember the website. Download all updates and run.

2. Ad-Aware Personal from Lavasoft.com - Run a deep scan. Also needs to be updated manually.

3. If worst comes to worst and you still can't find the source, download HiJackThis and run it. It tells you all current running processes and let's you delete them. Very Dangerous though so be careful.

Happy Hunting! ;D

Guest durrtylexx

In this order....

1. Spybot 1.3 - Search for it, don't remember the website. Download all updates and run.

2. Ad-Aware Personal from Lavasoft.com - Run a deep scan. Also needs to be updated manually.

3. If worst comes to worst and you still can't find the source, download HiJackThis and run it. It tells you all current running processes and let's you delete them. Very Dangerous though so be careful.

Happy Hunting! ;D

no

1) ad-ware

2) spybot

3) microsoft

no

1) ad-ware

2) spybot

3) microsoft

I support 500 users and do this at least 3 times a day everyday. Although your way might work, I have found it to work better the other way around. Oh and the Microsoft one, dump it. It said my PC was clean when it wasn't.

Guest LdySphynx

In this order....

Happy Hunting! ;D

Had Spybot(did not like it) have AdAware(it's ok), IMO for me the Microsoft one has worked best for me!!!

My running processes are fine already went thru that, I just think there has got to be something wrong with an application on FF, cause I run Internet Explorer without any problem whatsoever!!!

Guest pod

Some sites will deliberately break FF functionality. Maybe some bogus Java crapplet or something changed one of the base libraries that FF uses. I've never had problems with FF since installing, and that is on my Frankensteinian home PC, my slick new work PC, and various others.

all wrong, so very wrong...

1. copy all your important shit over to a lap top or burn it to a cd...

2. then reformat your pc

3. install FF

4. repatch all of windows updates

5. download ms spyware beta

and you are forever good to go..

***NEVER USE IE AGAIN..

your problem is not FF related...

I checked out the FF boards no mention of this error...

bandaids don't work, you need a total reformat of your pc, once a year is good advice...

Oh and use XP Pro, the home edition is crap.. Pro is so much better..

Guest LdySphynx

2. then reformat your pc

3. install FF

***NEVER USE IE AGAIN..

bandaids don't work, you need a total reformat of your pc, once a year is good advice...

I reformatted my PC 2 months ago!!!!

well and there is not much I can do with my XP!!!

Just did the latest windows update a few days ago!!!

And I have ms spyware beta, which is the one I ran when I did the scan.

So anymore advice :-\??

2. then reformat your pc

3. install FF

***NEVER USE IE AGAIN..

The expert.... ::)

Have a pc running for 3 years, have yet to reformat it.

But it is true...the best way is Format C. :)

Guest macboy

Wow, this is so sad what you guys go through. I just wish some of you (pod not included :P ) would give the Mac a try. You wouldn't be troubled by all this crap.

Wow, this is so sad what you guys go through. I just wish some of you (pod not included :P ) would give the Mac a try. You wouldn't be troubled by all this crap.

why buy a mac now???

give me one good reason to buy a mac right now??? makes no sense when in a year they will be new machines.

Guest trancepriest

Weren't you going to buy a mac mini like 6 months back? I would buy another G5... just not from Apple... on ebay perhaps. A dual 2.7 G5 is still kick ass no matter what new comes out. And buying it off ebay or refurbished... would save alot.

Guest macboy

why buy a mac now???

give me one good reason to buy a mac right now??? makes no sense when in a year they will be new machines.

The Macs you buy today will not be obsolete even after the switch to Pentium. All programs will be written for both PPC and Intel for a short while. In any event, it depends on how long you keep a computer. My average is 6-9 months. Even though Apple hardware holds its residual value longer than a PC, I like dumping my computer on Ebay and upgrading regularly at minimal cost. If you hold onto your computer for two years, which I think is the most anyone should hold onto one, you'll still be able to use it with no problems. Getting rid of Macs on ebay is also easier than PCs. There are still people using OS9 and buying computers that can only boot into OS9, not X. There will always be value in your Mac.

I speak from experience. Mac user since 1986. :)

Guest LdySphynx

True...I am about to make the Fedora Leap...

Fedora Core 3...Nuff said. :P

Wait Why don't you go for Fedora 4 ;)!!!

Guest LdySphynx

LOL... I know so many windows users that do that. That's insane... system stability is what I aim for.. having to reformat your system even for maintenance purposes is a crazy step in maintaining your PC... but on Windows.. I say format it... just don't put windows on top of it again. :) In the windows world mentioning formating your HD as a maintenance step is normal... in the Unix world thats unheard of. Voodoo computer maintenance. My Linux server as been up for along time on PC hardware... I don't even know how to format on Linux... I definitely wouldn't expect having to... Windows sucks man... go Unix.

Go with one of the Linux distros with Windows emulator if you have to.

Ok DAMMIT, enough about LINUX(I LOVE :-*), UNIX(I LOVE :-*), WINDOWS, or MAC(BLAH :P)!!!!

It's about my FF not working and IE is!!!!

so my conclusion is if Internet Explorer is working without a HITCH, then it has to be something with FireFox!!!!

I have DONE ALL OF THE ABOVE MENTIONED people, so whats the problem DAMMIT..............I WANT MY FF back!!!!

Guest LdySphynx

Why don't you just format you HD? ;D

:P

U know you love Windows girl.. its your personal OS. Didn't you state earlier that you used Linux at the office and Windows at home? It should be the other way around.

I know, but the reason we use Linux in the office is cause thats what our HQs in Europe uses for Security issues!!!

But because of that I know what Linux is all about and know its potential and LOVE IT!!!

But yes Windows is my guilty Pleasure :-[!!!