Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Surf Parks: Its finally happening...

Guest jbit

Guest jbit

My buddy and I signed up for memberships over a year ago. There already booked so your shit out of luck if you didn't get in early enough.

http://www.surfparks.com/

Dear Prospective Surfpark Members,

We are thrilled to announce that after over 5 years of effort to make the world's first real surfing wave pool, we have secured over $9 million to complete the construction and operation of the Ron Jon Surfpark, at Festival Bay Mall on International Drive in Orlando.

We have raised $9.25 million to date (enough to complete the park) and are authorized to raise a maximum of $10 million (additional funds would "kick it up a notch" with bigger pools and more plush ammenities). So, any accredited investors out there who are interested in picking up a piece of the $750,000 remaining pie should drop us a line at: info@surfparks.com. We'll forward you all of the appropriate documents. (Our attorneys advise that this is not an offer to sell securities.)

Completing this financing is our largest milestone so far, and we can now safely say that you'll be riding perfect pool surf in the not-so-distant future. We expect construction to start this summer, with the full park complete next spring.

Guest JMT

doesnt this defeat the principle behind surfing?

The principal behind surfing is catching waves. ???

but AT the beach, the marine environment, the patience, the geography, etc. i could understand why someone in oklahoma might like this, but it sounds like the disney-ization of surfing or something... ah, nevermind.

Guest jbit

Thats a valid opinion. I look at it as this....

I have limited time to surf, so if there is a way that i can get a "sure thing" surf trip...im there. I dont care if its behind an oil tanker, in a chlorine pool, or in one of the great lakes....I'll take it.

Guest jbit

I see chapter 11 before you know it...

dumb idea to think this has legs...

Its a surf park not a night club.....stick to what you know.

Guest jbit

I see chapter 11 before you know it...

dumb idea to think this has legs...

Its a surf park not a night club.....stick to what you know.

it's a novelity act....

if i were a surfer, I'd save my 2 grand and go to costa rica for a few weeks...

Been to Costa 6 times and I'll take my 2 grand to Orlando....no smelly cab drivers, no pick pockets, no waiting in customs at Miami Intl, and no passport.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

The idea of getting waves in a park isn't a novelty. I would love to just go and get some waves when i feel like it and not have to go through some Jeff Corwin experience to get them.

Guest michael^heaven

---I don't know. Membership is a bit steep! Even at the lowest $749 option. I suppose for those that live inland, it might be worth the cost as compared to hiking to the beach. However, for us that live next to the ocean & hate going to Orlando anyway...no thanks!! 8)

Guest michael^heaven

what can be so bad? ::)

---I suppose Orlando wouldn't be so rank if I hadn't spent a good deal of my youth living there. It used to be choice. Very little traffic, only a 45min drive to the beach, & an overall laid-back town. Now, the traffic is insane, it will take you a solid 1.5 hours to reach the coast...or to get to O-town, & the music scene is now, virtually non-existant.

what can be so bad? ::)

---I suppose Orlando wouldn't be so rank if I hadn't spent a good deal of my youth living there. It used to be choice. Very little traffic, only a 45min drive to the beach, & an overall laid-back town. Now, the traffic is insane, it will take you a solid 1.5 hours to reach the coast...or to get to O-town, & the music scene is now, virtually non-existant.

which part did u live in

Guest michael^heaven

which part did u live in

---Well, I'll have to attach a bit of history on that one. Lived in Meadow Woods(now getto fabulous) off of OBT when I was finishing junior high. Then moved off of 436 (can't recall the apartment name). Next off of Curry Ford & Goldenrod(can't remember the subdivision)...all in the late '80's.

---After returning from California (in the early '90's), moved back to Cocoa Beach, then back to Orlando. First out by UCF, off Alafaya. Then d-town Orlando, off of Ferncreek.

which part did u live in

---Well, I'll have to attach a bit of history on that one. Lived in Meadow Woods(now getto fabulous) off of OBT when I was finishing junior high. Then moved off of 436 (can't recall the apartment name). Next off of Curry Ford & Goldenrod(can't remember the subdivision)...all in the late '80's.

---After returning from California (in the early '90's), moved back to Cocoa Beach, then back to Orlando. First out by UCF, off Alafaya. Then d-town Orlando, off of Ferncreek.

oh okay thats cool...im in winter park 3 blocks east of north 436...a few ppl on cj are from orlando or lived here b4 as well...b4 i lived in miami i was living in clearwater beach n b4 that northern va/dc area were i grew up/hs, ect...

Guest michael^heaven
northern va/dc area were i grew up/hs, ect...

---An old friend of mine from Gainesville(previous Simons days) was originally from Reston, VA.

northern va/dc area were i grew up/hs, ect...

---An old friend of mine from Gainesville(previous Simons days) was originally from Reston, VA.

i grew up all my life in Fairfax county which is where Reston is at next to the city of Fairfax...used to go to Reston town center back in junior high...was like the cool spots back than nothing really there other than an outside ice arena, some restaurants, shops, and a movie theater...used to live like 10mins to reston. Friend of mine lives there actually.

Real Estate in Fairfax county/Loudon county which is next "door" is just purely insane...small 2/2 townhouse in reston no garage...goes for 300k+ right now...most 2/2-3/2 sf homes r in the upper 400-600+

Guest KONEIL

I think this is a great idea!!... This is actually a more contained version of what mother nature hands us which utilmately means those who have never been able to attempt surfing.. due to fear of Sharks... fear of deep dark water... undertoes, etc... just as an example

So many people love to surf and as a surfer I like to pass it on by teaching people who want to learn... or want to try... This would be something perfect for beginners and in landlock states which I do believe surf parks (or wave pools.. not sure) have been built in areas like soo for this idea?, places where good sets are a dime a dozen, a great place to have a membership for off seasons for trainning, conditioning ...beginning to intermediate level surfers... But hell its a place to surf... For those who want to surf... Especially since surfing is a huge multi million dollar industry... this is making surfing even more available... especially in this touristy area...

Costa Rica... Tahiti all those places are for expirenced surfers... & those Die Hard surfers want the real thing, try and chase the biggest wave, on and on and on... and well they usually have the option for the real deal at their finger tips... Surf Park is a good area for the up and coming...

Guest jbit

I think this is a great idea!!... This is actually a more contained version of what mother nature hands us which utilmately means those who have never been able to attempt surfing.. due to fear of Sharks... fear of deep dark water... undertoes, etc... just as an example

All valid points Kera, good thinking. It'll be interesting and I can't f**king wait to get barreled in some chlorine water.

A few years ago, my buddies and i rented out Typhoon Lagoon after they closed for business. Its a pretty gutless wave but it was funny seeing the reaction on peoples faces when we pulled up in Orlando with surfboards on top of our car.

Guest KONEIL

That is funny! I would be willing to try out the Typh Lagoon with my board... I can imagine how fun that is!!!

and Chlorine Barrels I never thought of it that way... but I hope you tell me all about it!

Guest jbit

That is funny! I would be willing to try out the Typh Lagoon with my board... I can imagine how fun that is!!!

and Chlorine Barrels I never thought of it that way... but I hope you tell me all about it!

This is a bit different and nothing new, but since were on the topic of chlorine fun....they just opened one up around the corner from my buddies huose in San Diego. There's a full liquor bar right next to the thing :P

http://www.surfline.com/video/vids/2005/jun/jsps/waveworld_dl_wm.cfm

Guest KONEIL

Dude No shit.... My adrenaline is pumping... I got the fever for sure now... this is great... This is deffinately proof this shit is fun and gonna suceed!

We got to trade insider secrets! 8)