Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Scientists find planet with 3 suns

story.3.sun.jpg

Astronomers have detected a planet outside our solar system with not one, but three suns, a finding that challenges astronomers' theories of planetary formation.

The planet, a gas giant slightly larger than Jupiter, orbits the main star of a triple-star system known as HD 188753 in the constellation Cygnus.

The stellar trio and its planet are about 149 light-years from Earth and about as close to each other as our sun is to Saturn, U.S. scientists reported on Thursday in the current edition of the journal Nature.

A light-year is about 6 trillion miles (10 trillion km), the distance light travels in a year.

If you stood on the planet's surface, you would see three suns in sky, although its orbit centers around the main yellow star among the trio. The larger of the other two suns would be orange and the smaller would be red, astronomers at California Institute of Technology said in a statement.

The new finding could upset existing theories that planets usually form out of gas and dust circling a single star, and could lead scientists to look in new places for planets.

"The implication is that there are more planets out there than we thought," the commentary said.

Caltech astronomer Maciej Konacki, who wrote the research article, refers to the new type of planets as "Tatooine planets," because of the similarity to Luke Skywalker's view of his home planet by the same name, with its multiple suns, in the original "Star Wars" film.

The fact that a planet can even exist in a multiple-star system is amazing in itself, according to Konacki. Binary and multiple stars are quite common in the solar neighborhood, and in fact outnumber single stars by some 20 percent.

But so far, most extrasolar planets -- those discovered outside our planetary system -- have been detected by watching for a characteristic wobble in the stars their orbit, reflecting the gravitation pull the planets exert on their suns.

This method is less effective for binary and multiple star systems, and existing theories said planets were unlikely to form in this kind of environment.

Konacki found a new way to identify planets by measuring velocities of all bodies in a binary or multiple star system.

Guest michael^heaven

---Would be very interesting to discover what other planets exist within that same solar system. Furthermore, what life is currently inhabiting those planets.

Guest pod

And chances are they're arguing about house and trance.

We'll get to the next inhabited solar system over and we'll find a

Space franchise, a Starbucks, and a McDonalds.

Guest michael^heaven

And chances are they're arguing about house and trance.

We'll get to the next inhabited solar system over and we'll find a

Space franchise, a Starbucks, and a McDonalds.

---Just as long as their not showing those damn Sylvan Learning Center commercials on tv. >:(

Guest cutchemist

---Would be very interesting to discover what other planets exist within that same solar system. Furthermore, what life is currently inhabiting those planets.

being so many light years away (speed of light->2.9m/s2 * 1 year)....

....we would be llllllllllong gone....many generations after us would find the answer to that question

..mabye

Guest swirlundergrounder

....we would be llllllllllong gone....many generations after us would find the answer to that question

..mabye

Your equation is meaningless unless we find a way to travel faster than the speed of light...

Guest cutchemist

..mabye

Your equation is meaningless unless we find a way to travel faster than the speed of light...

meaningless? it is the definiton of a light year.... ::)

wtf... :-\

Guest cutchemist

The science of warp drive is relatively new, and is still in its infancy, however, there have been considerable progress in this field made all ready. First there is the pioneer of the young Science Migual Alcubierre, who introduced a "warp drive" metric into the Einstein gravitational field (Class. Quantum Grav. 11 (1994), L73-L77, gr-qc/0009013). The Alcubierre paper, made space warp around an imaginary spaceship, [glow=red,2,300]which to an outside observer would appear to move faster than light.[/glow] This paper, worked by making space contract in front of a spaceship, while expanding space behind it, dubbed a "top-hat" model. However, the paper had one peculiar flaw, in order for this warp to occur negative energy densities are required (which is forbidden by relativity). For this reason, the Alcubierre model cast doubts for many scientists.

Since that initial paper other papers have been written on the subject in order to prove, or disprove the claims of the Alcubierre paper. For this I now discuss a paper presented by Chris Van Den Broeck, this paper tries to introduce a realistic description of the warp drive system (Class.Quant.Grav. 16 (1999) 3973-3979, gr-qc/9905084). This paper, is presented in a manner more in the form of producing the Alcubierre space, as opposed to a near description of it. It showed that indeed such a space is indeed possible to produce, however, the paper has one downside. While it mains it is possible, it is very unlike that such a description would be valid for an object as large as an astronaught.

There have been also been other proposals for warp drives, which resemble what is known as a wormhole. Generically speaking, a worm hole is a massive rotating black hole, which fails to produce a singularity. This fault allows the black hole to act as a short cut to another point in the universe, however, I feel this moves away from the concept of "warp drive."

- i don't open my mouth unless i know wtf i'm talking about...

-i've been in the bathroom most of this morning...had a little too much fun last night...exuse the attitude

Guest LdySphynx

The science of warp drive is relatively new, and is still in its infancy, however, there have been considerable progress in this field made all ready. First there is the pioneer of the young Science Migual Alcubierre, who introduced a "warp drive" metric into the Einstein gravitational field (Class. Quantum Grav. 11 (1994), L73-L77, gr-qc/0009013). The Alcubierre paper, made space warp around an imaginary spaceship, [glow=red,2,300]which to an outside observer would appear to move faster than light.[/glow] This paper, worked by making space contract in front of a spaceship, while expanding space behind it, dubbed a "top-hat" model. However, the paper had one peculiar flaw, in order for this warp to occur negative energy densities are required (which is forbidden by relativity). For this reason, the Alcubierre model cast doubts for many scientists.

Since that initial paper other papers have been written on the subject in order to prove, or disprove the claims of the Alcubierre paper. For this I now discuss a paper presented by Chris Van Den Broeck, this paper tries to introduce a realistic description of the warp drive system (Class.Quant.Grav. 16 (1999) 3973-3979, gr-qc/9905084). This paper, is presented in a manner more in the form of producing the Alcubierre space, as opposed to a near description of it. It showed that indeed such a space is indeed possible to produce, however, the paper has one downside. While it mains it is possible, it is very unlike that such a description would be valid for an object as large as an astronaught.

There have been also been other proposals for warp drives, which resemble what is known as a wormhole. Generically speaking, a worm hole is a massive rotating black hole, which fails to produce a singularity. This fault allows the black hole to act as a short cut to another point in the universe, however, I feel this moves away from the concept of "warp drive."

-i've been in the bathroom most of this morning...had a little too much fun last night...exuse the attitude

You tell em mama, I dunno about you guys but I smell.......................OWNAGE!!!! ::):P

Guest swirlundergrounder

..mabye

I know it's the definetion of a light year. But we have no means at the moment to apply it for the purpose of travelling to even the closet star located 4.1 years away from us..

Unless of course you have a 'high level architectural diagram' of such a vessel...LOL

Guest swirlundergrounder

I know what a freaking worm hole is . Do you know how much energy it would take to produce a singualrity to make a stable wormhole? I'm pretty sure that you do know how much energy that would take. Are we capable of producing this amount energy? Maybe not yet but don't you think that by the time that we do figure it out that we would have destroyed ourselves in the process of trying to harness this much energy?

Guest LdySphynx

..mabye

I know it's the definetion of a light year. But we have no means at the moment to apply it for the purpose of travelling to even the closet star located 4.1 years away from us..

Unless of course you have a 'high level architectural diaphram' of such a vessel...LOL

Now why you gotta always make things sexual, what does a "diaphram" have to do with light years?? :P

Guest swirlundergrounder

..mabye

Unless of course you have a 'high level architectural diaphram' of such a vessel...LOL

Now why you gotta always make things sexual, what does a "diaphram" have to do with light years?? :P

Quit changing my original words around and go grab your dildo and 'release yourself'.....LOL

it's diagram....Megan knows what I mean anyways....

Guest LdySphynx

..mabye

Quit changing my original words around and go grab your dildo and 'release yourself'.....LOL

I knew you would LOVE it :-*.

Guest jbit

Astronomers have detected a planet outside our solar system with not one, but three suns

does anyone really need to be told that there isn't a planet orbiting 3 suns in our solar system ? ???

Guest cutchemist

..mabye

ive always liked u terry but ur fighting a loosing battle hear dear, first you say the definition of a light year is pointless and then you back-peddle? come on daddy, u can do better than that ;D ;)

Guest Slide On The Ice

Oh...my...God...my mind is completely boggled by that. Would you marry me? Please? Pretty please? With sugar coated quantum atomic strawberries on top?

..mabye

come on daddy, u can do better than that ;D ;)

:o

Guest swirlundergrounder

..mabye

ive always liked u terry but ur fighting a loosing battle hear dear, first you say the definition of a light year is pointless and then you back-peddle? come on daddy, u can do better than that ;D ;)

I said that it was pointless in the context that we have no way to apply it for means of getting us anywhere...

BTW I never liked you.... :P