Clubplanet Nightlife Community

More TAI info...

CrzyC1414779017

From Miami Herald...

Posted on Fri, Jul. 22, 2005

The ins and outs of club promoters

BY LESLEY ABRAVANEL

lank@aol.com

Cocktail chatter at the bar at Sugo last Saturday night was all about the departure of Ingrid Casares from TAI Entertainment, which won't become TA Entertainment, but will remain TAI. Strangely enough, spotted at the Sugo bar was Gary James, a promoter hailing back to the halcyon days of South Beach, who told us he was back in town and smiled when we asked what was up his sleeves. Because we were cattle calling across the bar and lost ourselves in our drinks, we never got to finish that conversation, but Gary, if you're reading this, please let us know what's up. So back to the topic that has thankfully taken some heat off the whole tired TomKat talk that has plagued our bars and restaurants for the past few months.

After we reported on The Herald's People page what Casares was up to, we received a call from Nicola Siervo, who told us that, yes, Ingrid is an investor in Quattro, the Lincoln Road restaurant he is opening this winter. Besides that, he told us all about the lounge he's opening with Karim Masri and Linley Edwards on 23rd Street. The lounge, tentatively titled Mokai, will open sometime after New Year's in the space formerly known as Mama Vieja, located next to the space formerly known as Nerve and sometimes known as Angel Ultra Lounge. According to Siervo, they're already in the design stage of the project and ''It's going to be a Mynt-style lounge, with dancing on tables, over 250 people and very selective at the door.'' Did you expect those three to open a lounge as accessible as those in the Seminole Hard Rock? C'mon! Anyway, they're also going to serve a small menu, Siervo tells us, with mini-burgers and disco fries (covered in mozzarella and gravy, a N.Y. diner fave!), among other things, until 5 a.m. We can't wait. That is, if we can get in!

But back to TAI. We spoke to Tommy Pooch, who elaborated on the biggest breakup news since Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt. He says that the catalyst was Nocturnal. ''I don't like going over the bridge and Ingrid's a childhood friend of Dade [sokoloff, owner of Nocturnal].'' So apparently Alan Roth and Pooch didn't want to do Nocturnal and Ingrid did. Pooch also adds that Ingrid ''wasn't happy with us telling her what to do.'' Typical breakup. In the meantime, Pooch assures us that TAI has some fabby things up their sleeves, and we didn't expect anything else.

The Funk Jazz Lounge, a neo-soul-flavored event catering to black professionals has set up shop at Jimmy'z last week and will be there every Thursday night hereafter. So what is the Funk Jazz Lounge? According to its founder Demas, ''We're different from just hip-hop or a regular club night out. We're hip but not hip-hop, progressive but not boring.'' The antithesis of boring, the MTV Video Music Awards is starting to creep into our cozy worlds already. We've already been notified of one of the biggest parties to hit our shores: NYC and Southampton's Cain nightclub is throwing a huge bash Aug. 27 at a private waterfront manse. Performances by ''major'' acts will entertain the crowd all day and the whole vibe will be nothing short of Playboy Mansion. We're told that Jet Blue is flying Cain's owner, Jamie Mulholland, and his crew down to MIA to throw this party, which Mulholland promises will be ''a legendary party that will not soon be forgotten.'' For those unfamiliar with Cain, E! named it one of the world's hippest hotspots, and we hear that Mulholland's in negotiations to open a branch in Miami in the near future. First let's make it through the VMAs, OK?

We barely made it through the opening of GG's, the new bistro in the space formerly known as our beloved 190. A mob scene to say the least, it was hard to tell exactly what GG's was like because hundreds of people packed the empty space that morphed into a sweltering sweat box forcing everyone onto the streets -- until the cops and tow trucks came and forced us into the comfort of our air-conditioned cars. When things cool down, maybe we'll return. In between beads of perspiration, however, we did run into the ever-dapper Laurent Bourgade, formerly of Grass fame. He told us about his new venture, Post, a chic new restaurant and lounge at 1777 SW Third Ave. in Miami. It's not open yet, but when it does we'll let you know.

Open to all is the free screening of The Italian Job at the Circa 39 Hotel at 3900 Collins Ave. at 8:30 p.m. Thursday. It's the first in a series of al fresco cinema that will also feature Casablanca at the Wave Hotel, 350 Ocean Dr., on Aug. 4, and Endless Summer at the Aqua Hotel, 1530 Collins Ave., on Aug. 11. It's all free and open to the public, but please, turn off those )(#)(+@#_ cellphones.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lesley Abravanel's Velvet Underground column runs weekly in Weekend. Lesley will answer your questions about Miami nightlife -- whenever she wakes up. Go to Herald.com and click on Q&A.

Guest pod

"I don't like going over the bridge"...

The way things are on this godforsaken sandbar, Mr. Pooch should expect to have to go over the bridge a lot more often.

That being said, isn't it time for the city government to grandstand on nightclubs again?

Guest teabag

I think the beach is as strong as ever those investments back that assumption even more..... Miami was, is and will continue to be for the near future a tourist beach hungry driven city, the millions of people that come every year to Miami and that make most of the income the county generates is still focused on the beaches and its surrounding areas, with that in mind the success of downtown is a great success story that helps the city as a whole including crime perception, but it will never take the place of the beach in status or destination no matter what... the beach is a beautiful natural target for the people that come and stay on it and spend their money on the chic restaurant, on the boutique hotel and the nightclub experience is a combination that is hard to compete with, downtown clubs are a choice and a very good one, lucky us to have so many choices, but the beach is still on a league of its own, by sustaining so many new and old investments year in and year out...... people talk about space getting packed on the weekend ... that's great it better be packed is a megaclub!!! some say downtown is the future of clubbing for its liquor laws and zoning, I do not completely disagree..... I think is the future of the musically only driven Local market, yet the great niche of the spending market in Miami Beach is largely composed of the all the other niches and groups of the local market plus the tourist influx.... hotels cater their customers largely and mostly to beach events and tourists stay for the most time within those confines of washington and ocean drive. Just like there are people that never leave the beach and haven't really lived in Miami, the tourists are the main reason all those investments are made and keep flocking those coins year after year .......... just my opinion.

Guest teabag

I agree that is a stupid comment ..... but that happens when you dont get paid somewhere anymore....

Guest klubveteran

hip hip hoooray for Pucci's pizza ;D

and if you know who Gary James is who is mentioned up top you are old Skool!. that guy is a dinosaur of the south beach glory days.

Guest klubveteran

Even more bad ink for TAI...

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix.htm

lol, they have a picture there, saying it's pooch, but it's jeffrey chodorow. Page Six usually is not that clueless.

yo i like page six as much as the next guy. but im not registered to it. so when you post the link all we get is the passoword log in screen.

copy and paste it

:D

Guest coach

The way things are on this godforsaken sandbar, Mr. Pooch should expect to have to go over the bridge a lot more often

But he realizes that now is not YET the time. There may come a day when he can throw his high-end parties over there, but not today. Sure, Nocturnal is a nice venue, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to park their $70K+ car over there. Or walking through the refuse in the $1000+ suit.

Guest Devilicious

lol, why would she use lizzie grubman??? Every time I see an SUV backing up near a club, I get scared....

btw, thank god for www.bugmenot.com so I can read all these stories... sucks for those IE users.. ha ha

I knew something like this had to exist! Thank you SO much for that link

CLUB QUEEN'S POOLSIDE FUROR

July 23, 2005 -- MIAMI nightlife queen Ingrid Cesares' messy split with her party-promoting partners, Tommy Pooch and Alan Roth, exploded into a public screaming match during the opening of fashion week in South Beach.

Cesares, who gained fame as Madonna's gal pal in the early '90s, was incensed that her partners were telling people that she had mismanaged funds while working with Pooch and Roth at TAI Entertainment, which stands for Tommy, Alan and Ingrid.

The triumvirate launched the hot Sunday-night beach bash at Andre Balasz's Raleigh Hotel, which regularly draws celebs like Jamie Foxx, Paris Hilton, Cindy Crawford, Derek Jeter and Owen Wilson.

So when Cesares ran into Roth during lunch at the hotel last Saturday, the former friends got into a poolside shouting match, our earwitness says.

"Ingrid said, 'Get over here! Why are you talking s - - - about me?' " says our spy. "It got pretty loud. Alan said, 'Don't talk to me like that — you're embarrassing yourself.' Ingrid said, 'You're the embarrassment.' And so on."

Pooch, one of South Beach's best-known promoters, told PAGE SIX: "She wanted to know who was saying she had her hand in the cookie jar, and she blamed Alan. She was not playing fair. Alan and I trust each other, but we don't feel the same way about Ingrid . . . She thought he was saying that stuff, but it was me, telling the truth. I'm not ashamed to say it."

Pooch added that TAI now stands for "Tommy and Alan Incorporated."

Cesares' spokeswoman, Lizzie Grubman, said her client left because she felt her partners were exploiting her celebrity contacts.

"After months of being bullied and used for her relationships, Ingrid had enough and decided to move on," Grubman said. "She was not fired.

"Ingrid is known for bringing events to the table. Tommy and Alan are great guys. But anyone who hires Ingrid knows you hire her to bring in events, not as a businesswoman . . . I think that Ingrid Cesares speaks for herself. She is a brand and will remain a brand in Miami. I think the whole situation is terribly unfortunate."

Guest web_norah

either Roth or Pooch or Casares' PR is definitely spreading the word about this riff, it is all over the gossip sections

Guest coach

either Roth or Pooch or Casares' PR is definitely spreading the word about this riff, it is all over the gossip sections

Or all three!!! They are certainly getting a lot of ink from it!