Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Denny Tsettos Unofficial Review Thread

Bling

Saleen, sorry couldn't make it to this one since had to take the night off clubbing. Heard denny rocked it and that the night was great.

Definately agree with you on the club business being much much harder then what people expect. I've had experience back home throwing events with my brother in law since I was 16 and I've seen how difficult it can get. Over there only one event will have success on a given night because of the amount of people that head out, while there will be at least 3 or 4 other options of where to go. And with that unless you are on top of the game, have a reputation of success, and can deal with people trying to sabotage your night (stealing djs day of event when only a handful of good djs available, hiring dirty cops to block road to your club, pay a bad crowd to show up at your door, or start fights) you will not be successful. Over here how the clubs compete is a bit different, but the key to successful parties in the long run is really in the hands of the people hosting the parties and how much work they put into finding their niche market and keeping it.

My favorite parties in Miami all have dedicated promoters behind them and that is why I see them lasting rather then being here for the short moment their party will be hot. Unfortunately with all the oppurtunities available here in Miami there are only a handful of promoters that I personally can count on for throwing a great night. Michael Capponi is one of those since I know when I go to a party with his name on it I can expect a beautiful crowd, packed event, and good house djs playing the most popular house music out right now. Grutman's parties are associated with some of Capponi's so the same can be said for his parties and it's just a great partnership as Grutman has been bringing a similar crowd full of celebs partying at the clubs since his tantra days. Biz is another promoter I respect a lot as you see him just put so much effort into keeping his parties fresh, fun, and running smooth. At any party he throws you will see him running around the place like crazy making sure everything is running smoothly. The Tai Events have also been some of my favorite as they've always been the perfect events when im in the mood to lounge and see beautiful people, now with all the drama I'm not sure what to make of their events as have not checked them out yet but I'm sure all 3 will do well. Finally there is is Kristin or kristine from Amika's sundance party who has made sunday another night of serious partying by bringing in a good mixture in the crowd, great music, and always surprising us with top of the line guest djs.

I didn't mention any promoters from space even though I think they all do a good job, because the success of that place in my opinion is due to LP. No other club owner runs their club better in my opinion and it's a club that will be here for quite a while.

Again sorry couldn't make it to support your night, could tell you were busting your ass to make this night happen and glad to hear it did go well. Again definately agree with u on how tough a business it is and thats why only the best and hardworking promoters last longer then a couple of months on top of the game. It's hard to do which is why I like to give props and respect to the guys like biz, grutman, and capponi who you see putting a lot of work into making their events memorable. Hope to see you throwing more events saleen.

thanks for the kind words..

I would like to thank the Space staff, Dan vidal, Nickjunkie, Eddy G funk his brother Big T the Ass Machine and his herum of Militant Blondes, all my friends who came out and supported, the lighting guy Chris, who Denny just loves, mr cedric for providing a great opening set, NJguido.com for promotions, GAT for the kind words, New times for my gal Dierdra, Spanish Miami Herald, Granite and Phunk for the tunage, Mr Oscar G, cooljunkie.com , Mr Rudnick, the K Man, Angel, Rolly aka the black guy in the booth, Ardis and Bruno for their support, Bside, Mr Dade S, Steffy and Chantel, the jew, the hogster, double dui, the enforcer, mr gordon gecko, saynotodrama, the various djs who showed up to hear Denny,a get well soon to Big E, my 2 friends laura and steffy who did not show up! and last but not least to those NYC guys who felt their toes got stepped on "fuck you"....

Guest b00tyman07

Thanks to everyone that came out, I left at 7am and the main room was still going strong, not too sure what time he played til he's on a plane right now. Not gonna review my own party.

I will post some advice for all of yous. I've done a party with OG in Lauderdale which is much easier than doing anything in Miami, but hear me now, DO NOT GET INTO THE CLUB BUSINESS! You would have to be an idiot to get into this racket. People think you would be at the cool venues with all the celebs and getting laid alot etc.. The amout of things you have to worry about and take care of it's mind bending. This one booking probably generated over a 100 emails between all parties.

You may think you call a club get a contract and just show up and play. Not so simple. I probably haven't sleep well in weeks. If you want to be a pro dj, then get an education to fall back on. Don't sleep m-f and waste your life! Working with Space was as smooth as it gets, they have thier shit in gear and Amika was perfect to (thanks Ardis), but it's the little things that add up that you nor the club can control.

Examples: Flight issues, weather issues, is a hurricane comming? Newspapers calling you, guestlist, mis quotes, another club has morillo across the street, politics, politics politics! The power went out yesterday, I was freaking out! Opening dj sets, scouting out the club, what do they play, at what time do they play it, what are the over played tracks? OMG, every dj talks shit about one another, marketing guys talking smack, I'm talking smack, everyone is talking smack. Then agents trying to steal your contacts, djs trying to follow you down here from the tri state area, people iming me and emailing me and calling me trying to get info out of me!... It's like the wild wild west..

I've always heard a resturant is the toughest business to run, but clubs have to be on par with them. Without a vast network of industry people on my aim list and phone directory to call to get advice on and to ask questions I would have been sunk. Sure in time I could do well in this business but it's a busines whereas one day you are on top, the next you are out of a job.

My stint in the club business won't be long, I have a full time career, this is just a side business, but I thought I would enjoy doing this and maybe buildling up a business, but it's not worth it, even more of my hair would fall out if i stayed in this business. Denny and I have a few more annoucments comming soon, stay tuned and remember what I said, if you are working in the club biz or plan to in any fashion, GO TO COLLEGE FIRST OR WHILE YOU ARE DOING IT! I would be lost without my BS in ECON degree and even then I wasn't prepared to handle contracts ,negotiations, logistics, finances, accouting etc. (and I use to run a company) You guys think i'm "saleen" but I'm a m-f tie wearing district manager for broward county for a company and I hold a degree and use to work on Wall Street. The club biz will eat you alive!

Space makes it look easy, almost GM or Walmart like but it's pure talent and hard work. All you people who post about "why don't they book so and so" and "it's all about the music" you people are fools, pure fools.

All you djs who say "I can rock that room bla bla bla" reality is, you can't! Go hear og spin, then come back and tell me you could do that..

a bit discouraging to someone hoping to work within the industry...

but who doesn't love a challege?

I always though I was the official "black guy in the booth" 8)

But then again, I'm officially "creole" unless the cops are involved then i'm black again ;D

Great Job Saleen & Space Staff...

This was only my third time back in there in about a year...

Unless it's Denny or O.G. Classics night... I can't feel it anymore..

I def. thing the new look will help. but now the audio system has to be re-adjusted for a lower ceiling...

Denny Rocked as expected!!!

I'm sure he'll be a quartely resident soon somewhere in MIA, if not I'll take him to South Am and He'll never come back...

Yo Nick, I got Vertigo lined up for him in Costa Rica.... let me know how the other things go ;)

Guest rollyp66

I always though I was the official "black guy in the booth" 8)

But then again, I'm officially "creole" unless the cops are involved then i'm black again ;D

You forgot I was there too lol

Guest pod

He held it down 'till 8:30 or so, which is a good run by any standard. Most people fire-drill at sunrise for the topside, but I was glad to see a signifcant crowd in the main room.

He held it down 'till 8:30 or so, which is a good run by any standard. Most people fire-drill at sunrise for the topside, but I was glad to see a signifcant crowd in the main room.

there is a simple reason for that yet jocks have such a hard time with it. Denny didn't bang it out so people were not worn out and enjoyed the up and downs of the set. I even got some "he played like og and dt" comments... About 95% of all the jocks space books can not hold that room till 830 and Denny did it and does not even have a fan base here in Miami...

Guest Darwin Castillo

there is a simple reason for that yet jocks have such a hard time with it. Denny didn't bang it out so people were not worn out and enjoyed the up and downs of the set. I even got some "he played like og and dt" comments... About 95% of all the jocks space books can not hold that room till 830 and Denny did it and does not even have a fan base here in Miami...

Its funny you say this Saleen, I had many people say that he was repeatative when he was doing good! Great to be exact! Go figure, when I say Danny Tenaglia spin, the first few hours where aight as he was spreading his set long enough to enjoy the whole night as Denny did. You dont want to be tired in the first few hours. People just want rush rush rush now and forget that there is a later.

Its funny you say this Saleen, I had many people say that he was repeatative when he was doing good! Great to be exact! Go figure, when I say Danny Tenaglia spin, the first few hours where aight as he was spreading his set long enough to enjoy the whole night as Denny did. You dont want to be tired in the first few hours. People just want rush rush rush now and forget that there is a later.

I'll explain why they said that: (pay attention this is on the final exam, he he)

People did say to me and others that he was "repeatative" but this is ignorance and how the space djs, the space guest djs and the set times space sets out have trained those clubbers to expect: bang bang bang...

Imagine this, you are Denny Tsettos, 1 hour before you leave to go to Space, you get a call from me telling him he's closeing the room out. Denny has no fucking idea what time it closes! He took it to 830 because his experience and his bloodline of listening to david morales and jr vasquez at twilo kicked in and grooved that mofo out until it was time to unleash the bombs! 6amish Then around 7am when it thinned out he brought it down again. I asked him why, he said you never play to a thinned out room and bang it out, boy was he right, more people started comming back into the room at 7am!!

At 1st Denny did get "repeatative" comments but he retrained that crowd in 2 hours that this was a proper dj set. We went from "repeatative" comments to Danny T comments, which Denny is no Danny and Denny will tell you flat out he's no Danny, but they are friends and Denny looks up to Danny. ;D

Bonus question: Why does OG open the room up for himself and takes the crowd past 10am??

Answer: He doesn't bang it out early on!

Guest Darwin Castillo

I'll explain why they said that: (pay attention this is on the final exam, he he)

People did say to me and others that he was "repeatative" but this is ignorance and how the space djs, the space guest djs and the set times space sets out have trained those clubbers to expect: bang bang bang...

Imagine this, you are Denny Tsettos, 1 hour before you leave to go to Space, you get a call from me telling him he's closeing the room out. Denny has no fucking idea what time it closes! He took it to 830 because his experience and his bloodline of listening to david morales and jr vasquez at twilo kicked in and grooved that mofo out until it was time to unleash the bombs! 6amish Then around 7am when it thinned out he brought it down again. I asked him why, he said you never play to a thinned out room and bang it out, boy was he right, more people started comming back into the room at 7am!!

At 1st Denny did get "repeatative" comments but he retrained that crowd in 2 hours that this was a proper dj set. We went from "repeatative" comments to Danny T comments, which Denny is no Danny and Denny will tell you flat out he's no Danny, but they are friends and Denny looks up to Danny. ;D

Bonus question: Why does OG open the room up for himself and takes the crowd past 10am??

Answer: He doesn't bang it out early on!

And that's why we love him. I understand the whole situation and a thin crowd, sh** I saw him and there was no crowd and he did great! Saleen, you need to school these people here in Miami about what house is. Bring down some more talent. Hell, have a contect agains a Miami dj v a NYC/NJ dj and see who bangs out the house. ;)

Guest Darwin Castillo

Darwin, check out my man Richie Santana... He's one of my favorites... Ask OG about him, he uses his tracks all the time on his cds.. He's got mad talent just is the typical jock with poor managment and no exposure....

http://www.djrichiesantana.com

Thanks again! New talent is always good in my library.

This email was sent to Denny I thought i would share it with you guys.. Denny and I don't know who it is...

Sent By: mike XXXX

Senders Email: mnaji55@XXXX

Senders Company:

Message Sent:

i flew in to miami last saturday w/ my wife just to here you at SPACE and it was worth every dollar i spent thank you and is there any way for me to purchase music just like you started playing @ about 6am. i will pay anything for a cd.

For someone to get on a plane just to see you dj is gotta be the greatest compliment a dj can get... With the internet Denny gets so much mail from around the country, it's funny even in Montana and fuckville Idaho, there are house heads!!!