Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Miami = Big City , But does it live upto Big City Life ?

Guest DJ Nova

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Marina22

I am sooooo happy to have all the choices that we DO have but I know I have already said this so I'll shut up now... NOT! Miami is Miami, I agree with ya Pod it has it's own sound. So if you want Hawtin go to Detriot or wait for the conference, he was at Ultra. We have too many choices on most weeks, months I can't keep up with all the good international talent we get here. So pick who you like and enjoy the freakin' music! Happy Thanksgiving! I will be giving thanks I don't live in Jacksonville as I do most weeks of the year. I don't know if I will live in South Florida forever so for the time being I am enjoying living in a certain kind of dance music paradise...

Guest michael^heaven

---Anyone who complains about Miami's nightlife should have their head examined!! Granted, it's not London, Berlin, Paris, etc. However, it's the best thing going in the state...period.

Guest Cosmigonon

---Anyone who complains about Miami's nightlife should have their head examined!! Granted, it's not London, Berlin, Paris, etc. However, it's the best thing going in the state...period.

Exactly!!!!! OMG when are people gonna stop complaining??????

GO HAVE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Guest ramon

sign me up then .. cause im complaining.

there is such lack of diversity here its sickening and the fact that people are ok with it is even worse.

the worse thing we don't even appreciate what we have in house.

Guest DJ Nova

Thank you Ramon , plus guys ....this is a discussion.....somewhere people can stir your thoughts and imagination . No need to get all upset , we all want the same thing .....good music , good times , right ?

I think complaining is a very negative term ......how about we are assesing our scene ....perhaps we can make it better than what it is .........but things only get better when they are QUESTIONED .......if no one questions anything anybody does........think about those repercussions in whatever they may be . My whole intenion with this post is to stir all your little noggens ....I know the answer....I know what it takes down here .......I just don't have the money or the position in a club to do it . Will I work on these things.......?

I have been trying for 10 years and I'l continue to do so .

Just remember , everyone is entitled to their own opinion , and you shouldn't be cast out from anywhere for voicing it .

N_

Guest LeVeL

You know I have to agree that Miami does need diversity not just House,House,House,House and this conversation comes up time and time again.

Yeah we all know Miami is a great town for nightlife and people always say how some of these Dj's that have never come to Miami to play would fare here if they visited one of the venues here. But I would understand that point if actually clubs here would take chances instead of putting it out altogether.

For example just months ago James Zabiela visited Space and its was a successful event ,people came,people bought tables and wasted a lot of money at the bar. Though Space never brought this kid down alone to play, the risk of bringing him defintely played out well.

Another example is when Space brought Armin Van Buuren down and Shine brought Mark Farina, Crobar a couple of weeks ago brought Carl Cox and Metropolis is slowly bringing Trance acts that would never get booked here like Cosmic Gate and Blank and Jones and you have Nocturnal which brings all the Deep House Dj's down.

This town is defintely moving towards more diversity but its a slow transition. First of all there are more Electronic Music Venues in this town than there was 1 year ago. Also some of these clubs are taking their chances with certain artist and if the event is succesful then they start booking acts that play similar sounds to them.

But I am optimistic and I see change coming, not just the same guys getting booked as much. I have really toned down my complaining but at times I miss that fact of hearing something new and fresh not just the same ol' house tracks which are played week after week. But thats just me and Pod is right people go out to get wasted in this town and most of the time they dont pay attention to whats played they just dance and groove to whoever is playing.

Guest pod

there is such lack of diversity here its sickening and the fact that people are ok with it is even worse

It does tend to be a bit one sided here, but at least you're civil about it. You'd think by some of the complaints, we were living in downtown Baghdad or something.

It's really a pain in the ass to get new talent in town, yes. It's a result of the overall picture in the scene...it is very hard to make money, and those that do have it are very hesitant to part with it, i.e. take a gamble.

One of the keys to a successful event down here is that you gotta realize the audience overall is not a bunch of music-heads. You have to find another angle with them. Here on the board, you can pimp out the DJ all you want, but to José Smith over in Kendall, you gotta pimp out some other element of your party, since I doubt José realizes who the DJ is unless it is someone like PvD or Deep Dish or Erick Morillo.

Guest musicalmissionary

it's the best thing going in the state...period.

Totally not true. NYC gets exactly the same talents we get just as often (if not more) and ON TOP OF THAT they get so much more we never get outside conference. Weather aside, their "scene" is definitely better than ours, that's not even an opinion. And I'm one of the last to dog on Miami because I love it here. But a fact is a fact man. They get what we get PLUS more. There's no denying that.

Guest pod

Michael said "state" , not "country". He said Miami is the best thing in the state...which you can't argue with.

NYC has more diversity simply because it has six times the amount of people. I could fart into a mic all night while singing into a vocoder and guarantee an audience of at least 200 people up there. And make money at the bar. In New York, every little subculture has at least a few hundred people into it. Does that make it better than Miami? Umm, well it is hard to say...too many different factors.

Guest musicalmissionary

Michael said "state" , not "country". He said Miami is the best thing in the state...which you can't argue with.

NYC has more diversity simply because it has six times the amount of people. I could fart into a mic all night while singing into a vocoder and guarantee an audience of at least 200 people up there. And make money at the bar. In New York, every little subculture has at least a few hundred people into it. Does that make it better than Miami? Umm, well it is hard to say...too many different factors.

I thought he meant to say States. My bad.

I'm willing to bet that if you randomly whittled NYC's population down to match Miami's they would still have broader support for more diverse forms of music. It's just something about the city, it's more open-minded when it comes to the arts.

Oh well, I'm happy in Miami. But I wouldn't mind seeing more diversity in the dance music scene, that's for sure.

Guest Chica

All the cities are different, Im happy here because we have something a lot of people dont have and that is VARIETY, we have the people, the beaches, the clubs and the list goes on....believe me if any of you move out of here u are going to miss it ;) we have so much.......

Try living in Montana lol

Guest ramon

All the cities are different, Im happy here because we have something a lot of people dont have and that is VARIETY, we have the people, the beaches, the clubs and the list goes on....believe me if any of you move out of here u are going to miss it ;) we have so much.......

variety is definitely the spice of life .. but where's the musical variety .. thats' what im getting at.

Guest Chica

variety is definitely the spice of life .. but where's the musical variety .. thats' what im getting at.

well I think that the clubs should work on that part, right now I think they are bringing what people like or what brings more people to their places, Im not sure if what they are doing is playing it safe because trying new things can be a loss, I guess they should take the risk ;)

guests are great and bring in the crowds but for me. (music head) i think locals are where its at. the locals drive our miami nitelife scene foward. ive enjoyed our locals for the most part more than so many guests ive seen.

yeah locals only bring out the true music heads/clubbers and not the avg clubber but for me at least its the most important thing in the miami scene. we have an amazing array of local talent.

local celebrity is a perfect example of showcasing our talent to a packed house each and every fri.

also great djs like DHM and the lust crew sheldon and jason are soo underrated. talent like jimmy t are finally getting the recognition they deserve. they have blown me away time and time again ....

i wont come on here and say i understand the buisness. ive seen a bit of the inner workings of clubs and i for one wont even begin to fathom the intricacies involved.

so yes miami lives up to the hype. LOCALS ROCK IT EACH WEEK

Guest ramon

well I think that the clubs should work on that part, right now I think they are bringing what people like or what brings more people to their places, Im not sure if what they are doing is playing it safe because trying new things can be a loss, I guess they should take the risk ;)

i think people are definitely playing it safe .. hopefully a new year will bring us some new sounds and new people.

Guest colione98

guests are great and bring in the crowds but for me. (music head) i think locals are where its at. the locals drive our miami nitelife scene foward. ive enjoyed our locals for the most part more than so many guests ive seen.

local celebrity is a perfect example of showcasing our talent to a packed house each and every fri.

also great djs like DHM and the lust crew sheldon and jason are soo underrated. talent like jimmy t are finally getting the recognition they deserve. they have blown me away time and time again ....

LOCALS ROCK IT EACH WEEK

I agree whole heartedly with your comments. I definitely think that locals is where it's at.. I am not asking to constantly bring new talent from out of town.. I am simply asking to bring about talent from the untouched....

More and more djs make their way through the course of the year but it still remains that 2 many djs headline more than one night that currently exists here in miami....

Sure, maximum exposure is paramount... But here we are talking about for the betterment of the scene; not to fullfill relations amongst promoters and jocks....... :-X

It shouldn't be that these djs have residencies at 3 different venues during main or after hour on 3 different days...

That will surely will not bring about change.... nor will it help to introduce different styles, not necessarily music but styles....

So in closure, change- yes/no

more locals- big yes

various- yes-

3-4 residencies @ majors-NO!!!

Guest colione98

and comparing NY to Miami is absurd.. You can't compare a city such as NEW YORK that consists of 5 different boroughs with Miami that only has downtown, the grove, and the beach with major venues....

When you go into broward, you have Dt- Fl riverfront, the new hardrock and whatever else...

So like I said previously, this is a relatively small community compared to the other metro areas... With that means constant addition of various jocks whether local or whatever, will certainly bring about diversity in not particularly sounds but styles. After all, there is so far you can go with dance music in a club atmosphere.

Guest ramon

it's the best thing going in the state...period.

Totally not true. NYC gets exactly the same talents we get just as often (if not more) and ON TOP OF THAT they get so much more we never get outside conference. Weather aside, their "scene" is definitely better than ours, that's not even an opinion. And I'm one of the last to dog on Miami because I love it here. But a fact is a fact man. They get what we get PLUS more. There's no denying that.

yeah nyc has nothing on us at all right.

nov. 23: audion, plexus, derek plaslaiko @ rothko

nov. 25: kooky scientist + unlocked groove @ subtonic

nov. 29: damian lazarus + pier bucci @ cielo

dec. 1: carl craig @ apt

dec. 2: funkstorung @ the guggenheim early, then late - funkstorung, derek plaslaiko, ryan elliott, et al in brooklyn

dec. 7: swayzak @ canal room

dec. 8: losoul @ apt

dec. 9: james t. cotton + osborne @ apt

dec. 10: dan bell @ avalon

dec. 15: tiefschwarz @ cielo

dec. 16: tejada/deadbeat/oliver hacke/jordan dare @ tonic

Guest colione98

also.... not to be long winded ... :P

this cool junkie thing may only have a small % that actually induldge in promoting and commenting... However, this is a source for many patrons traveling from all over the world to get a chance to see what is in store for their visits...

And the constant promoting of the same jocks thread after thread after thread after post after post for events in approximate vicinities, does not help at that......

Guest Cosmigonon

I don't know folks, I guess being in Miami you grew to be spoiled. At least in Latin America, i don't think there's any major city that has such a broad music offer than Miami...

Guest ramon

I don't know folks, I guess being in Miami you grew to be spoiled. At least in Latin America, i don't think there's any major city that has such a broad music offer than Miami...

South America is where it's at I hear. :)

Oscar's at Vertigo in CR on 12.17 :)

Guest Cosmigonon

South America is where it's at I hear. :)

Oscar's at Vertigo in CR on 12.17 :)

hahaha, yeah, you get all the big name dj's and then some in Latin America, but not in the numbers we get them here...