Clubplanet Nightlife Community

How bad is the house scene and the industry?

V. Barbarino

Guest coach

The truth is most house heads actually come out to parties to dance - not to flex-not to have their fragile, shallow egos stroked because they can get beyond the velvet rope and blow their paycheck on a bottle of bubbly to impress the fashionistas and wannabes.

Hey, now! Nothing wrong with a little strokage!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest michael^heaven

house music is a business, if you can't make money at it, then it goes away...

why is this so hard to figured out?

---Obviously, you still haven't!!gu_c_tosser1.gifgu_tomato.gif

You must have went to a Dade county public school. Some basic economics for you; When multiple people complete and get "greedy" prices fall.... I know this is difficult stuff, but one day you'll wake up from your window washing job and realize this to be true..

---That's compete^.gu_lol.gif

Guest Marina22

Saleen, you should not promote a DJ in this genre (somebody that believes in the music should), you should go listen to whatever you think is big now, and you should go be the little bitch that you are in that scene of that kind of music. What the hell is "big"? WTF do you think is better than "this" music. I don't think only house but other genres within EDM are big now too it just freakin' depends on where you are geographically. ie: South America- more trance than here now and more D&B there than before.

Guest swank

My 2 centavos. The scene is alive and vibrant and nowhere near being on a respirator or other dramatic image that you want. Saturday past, we held our Residence party and though the house was not packed, every one there did their best to support - i.e., bought beverages, brought friends, etc.. I play frequently in Chicago, B-More, D.C. and in the UK and I can assure you that house music and the industry in general is doing well.

The scene here locally is challenged at times because people associate Miami more so with hiphop , crunk music or booty music and because of that ultra machismo - alpha male image /persona associated with hip-hop, many folks that would support the music tend to drift towards what they feel is "sociallly" more acceptable.

The truth is most house heads actually come out to parties to dance - not to flex-not to have their fragile, shallow egos stroked because they can get beyond the velvet rope and blow their paycheck on a bottle of bubbly to impress the fashionistas and wannabes.

Solid house parties offer good music, positive energy and , when done consistently, give respectable financial returns (read Aquabooty.) I know that I have not made it to all of Aquabooty parties but I do know that in the 3 years that I have been here in South Florida, they have been consistent. Perhaps the fact that you only do this as a business comes across to your potential patrons and they refused to be duped by your disingenuine vibes. Just a thought.

BTW....FYI.... please don't forget 'therapy....jojoflores! cuz we ain't goin anywhere and promise to be consistent here in SoFlo!!!!

check ''DELANO" Friday Dec2nd and "GRYPHON" Dec3rd.....

peace! ;)

Guest dirtyhouse777

My 2 centavos. The scene is alive and vibrant and nowhere near being on a respirator or other dramatic image that you want. Saturday past, we held our Residence party and though the house was not packed, every one there did their best to support - i.e., bought beverages, brought friends, etc.. I play frequently in Chicago, B-More, D.C. and in the UK and I can assure you that house music and the industry in general is doing well.

The scene here locally is challenged at times because people associate Miami more so with hiphop , crunk music or booty music and because of that ultra machismo - alpha male image /persona associated with hip-hop, many folks that would support the music tend to drift towards what they feel is "sociallly" more acceptable.

well said

Guest BAEZ

It is a money making business! but if you only have that mentality and that greed of making shit load of money then no shit its gonna go down hill... Cus it gets more expensive!!!

How many have you have wondered how much is a vodka/redbull in the club (used to be called envy) thats on the corner of space? (Ill be surprised if they do sell it, they probably sell cysco tho!!! lol)

And YES i love beans...

I eat beans with rice and chiken.. mmm yummy!

You must have went to a Dade county public school. Some basic economics for you; When multiple people complete and get "greedy" prices fall.... I know this is difficult stuff, but one day you'll wake up from your window washing job and realize this to be true..

Hey Saleen, at the age of 23 I have managed to make a bigger salary then most of the older business men out there. I have been independent and on my own since I was 18. I dont need your ignorant negativity on my side. Besides, you promote a House DJ. Why are you working with something you dont feel satisfied with. Are you afraid to do experience something different?

Well, if your looking to change jobs, my friends at the window washing joint want you to fill out an aplication.

It is a money making business! but if you only have that mentality and that greed of making shit load of money then no shit its gonna go down hill... Cus it gets more expensive!!!

How many have you have wondered how much is a vodka/redbull in the club (used to be called envy) thats on the corner of space? (Ill be surprised if they do sell it, they probably sell cysco tho!!! lol)

And YES i love beans...

I eat beans with rice and chiken.. mmm yummy!

Hey Saleen, at the age of 23 I have managed to make a bigger salary then most of the older business men out there. I have been independent and on my own since I was 18. I dont need your ignorant negativity on my side. Besides, you promote a House DJ. Why are you working with something you dont feel satisfied with. Are you afraid to do experience something different?

Well, if your looking to change jobs, my friends at the window washing joint want you to fill out an aplication.

First off I don't promote any thing, I do contracts for my dj and bookings.. I just promote on here to let other industry people know what we are up to, I could care less if the cjers come out or like my guy, because cj is .05% of the clubbing world and a very bad gage of how well a dj does...

Good for you on your salary, now cut it in half, because anyone who talks aobut how much they make, never makes that much...

Guest pod

That's actually true. It is why on Myspace I list my salary as $250,000+, since anyone who knows me, knows it isn't the truth.

That being said, I see the focus of things these days going more towards the "party" as opposed to just the DJ. Very few DJs can carry a party on name alone.

You have to promote other aspects of the event to get people to show up. You gotta promote the venue, the crowd, the drinks, etc...the day of saying DJ so-and-so spinning house music is done...unless DJ so-and-so happens to be Deep Dish, Morillo, RS, or Danny Tenaglia.

Most DJs can't carry a crowd in the US anymore. Not to say the DJs are bad, but the crowd itself isn't gonna go out just to hear a DJ anymore. At least a crowd that can make a night break even or profit. The music-only community isn't enough anymore. You have to appeal to a broader audience, if you are to hold an event in a decent venue. You can do music-only events in little places with rinky-dink sound systems and non-existent lighting arrays, but forget about doing a music-only event at crobar, Space, Shine, Mansion, or Nocturnal where the overhead is in the thousands and then some.

Guest Devilicious

House music is fun and i like to have fun... so as long as i have fun and everyone else does then its still alive...

Negativity only spreads to those who accept negative energy!

Evidently it's not as hard to figure out as the English language.

Guest pussErox

House music is fun and i like to have fun... so as long as i have fun and everyone else does then its still alive...

lol. he's not the only one on these boards having problems with that

Guest Devilicious

This is true. However, Saleen commits spelling and grammar errors with the most frequency.... and with the most humor. He totally sets himself up! ;)

Guest pussErox

This is true. However, Saleen commits spelling and grammar errors with the most frequency.... and with the most humor. He totally sets himself up! ;)

oh. i thought it was the other one you were talkin about...

How many have you have wondered how much is a vodka/redbull in the club (used to be called envy) thats on the corner of space?

You must have went to a Dade county public school.

what gave that away?

lol. English 101 for everybody! Punctuation is free to all!

Guest Devilicious

How many have you have wondered how much is a vodka/redbull in the club (used to be called envy) thats on the corner of space?

what gave that away?

lol. English 101 for everybody! Punctuation is free to all!

I love the irony in this statement:

Guest thenextgeneration

first off, after perusing this absurd and yet still hysterical post, we thought, "thats like saying hip-hop is dying out!"

stay strong in your belief, house music is not going anywhere, especially in europe. its still as strong as it ever was. come enjoy some good house tunes on thursdays at our cometogether that deep house | nu jazz | afro-latin sound party at boombox which is all about bringing people together for the love of music and the love of people (good vibes, good tunes, good people, what more could you ask for). or gryphon saturdays at the hard rock! than, after listening and seeing the reaction of the crowd, you can still comment on your belief that house is on its way out.

now if you wanted to say something along the lines of vinyl is on its way out, than it might be a little more of a convincing argument (not that we agree with that either, but still a more convincing argument)

enjoy the rest of your day, we look forward to seeing or meeting all of you soon.

nov06_001.jpg

always | happy | people

nextgen_logo_final_200.jpg

Guest BAEZ

I will cum clean, finally!!

I do clean windows... & I also suck cock for crack on biscayne.. I work the corner of biscayne and 54th... if you cant find me ask saleem he knows where i stand! by the way you owe me $5 dolares! :o

PS: Saleem has a small pecker... thats why hes always so negative.. :-X

Guest Cosmigonon

I will cum clean, finally!!

I do clean windows... & I also suck cock for crack on biscayne.. I work the corner of biscayne and 54th... if you cant find me ask saleem he knows where i stand! by the way you owe me $5 dolares! :o

PS: Saleem has a small pecker... thats why hes always so negative.. :-X

LMAO!! ;D

Guest Philip

"Ask the Dj" interview: Feat "Murk" - Ralph Falcon

Miami Herald feature by Mike Hammersly on Murk. Click link below to view:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...e/13299267.htm

Q: Miami's nightclub scene has its peaks and valleys. How healthy is it now?

Basically, I think we're spoiled. I remember around the time Oscar and I started working together there were about three decent clubs in town and maybe one of those clubs was DJ-driven. Now we have dozens of places with talent brought in from all corners of the Earth on a weekly basis. Also, [Winter Music] Conference week has risen to an unbelievable level. Nowhere else do you get the amount of talent in a week's time like we do here. If you ask me, the scene is healthier than ever.