Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Opium Group buys State..

V. Barbarino

Guest JMT
Does this mean Opium/Prive is finally done??? Dunno at this point..

are you suggesting they might sell the complex and it will become something quieter?

Guest djjoncowan

now that the bently opened I hear the sound inforcement will be in full effect. I hope it doesn't affect opium or nikki's to much but I am afraid it might...

now that the bently opened I hear the sound inforcement will be in full effect. I hope it doesn't affect opium or nikki's to much but I am afraid it might...

perhaps thats one of the main reasons that bbc/radio 1 might not happen during wmc.... at least according to saleen...

Guest djjoncowan

perhaps thats one of the main reasons that bbc/radio 1 might not happen during wmc.... at least according to saleen...

actually, the full reason the radio 1 event is not happening is a switch in the music/marketing director at radio 1 - the new head of marketing is just not into the edm like the previous marketing director. he has set aside funds for many projects but cut the wmc event out of the budget. that is the main and only reason

actually, the full reason the radio 1 event is not happening is a switch in the music/marketing director at radio 1 - the new head of marketing is just not into the edm like the previous marketing director. he has set aside funds for many projects but cut the wmc event out of the budget. that is the main and only reason

interesting..... thanks for clearing that up..... im sure a lot were wondering besides myself

yes but no.... Why would he cut out the wmc event and not other events?? It's simply the lack of support in the UK for EDM... Radio 1 is moving away from EDM due to it's inability to produce $$$$... Enforce or establish drug laws in Ibizia and you have an island full of empty clubs.. I tried to talk LP into taking Hati or the Dominican Republic over and creating our own Ibiza he was too busy trying dominate the world like Dr Evil...

Guest pod

The building in all of it's incarnations (Bar Room, 320, Spin, Spi, Three-Twenty, State) has always struck my fancy...perfect "mid-size" club, especially after the major technological refit that LP had done when Spin existed. Three years down the line it still holds water. I liked the industrial-ish look of Spin. State's goth look took a bit of time to grow on me, but it isn't so bad if you think about it. Only reason I never hit up State a lot was due to it going pure hip-hop this year.

DG, will the State name remain under your team's leadership?

Guest dgrutman

The building in all of it's incarnations (Bar Room, 320, Spin, Spi, Three-Twenty, State) has always struck my fancy...perfect "mid-size" club, especially after the major technological refit that LP had done when Spin existed. Three years down the line it still holds water. I liked the industrial-ish look of Spin. State's goth look took a bit of time to grow on me, but it isn't so bad if you think about it. Only reason I never hit up State a lot was due to it going pure hip-hop this year.

DG, will the State name remain under your team's leadership?

no state will not be the name.

Guest djtroko

The State space is simply the best club size, layout there is in Miami. I love the sound, the feel of the club, the mainfloor and not to mention the dj booth. I would do anything to spin in this club half empty. I agree with POD that SPINs look was better that the State (Dopoux Design) layout but it doesnt bother me. Porterhouse came to be my fav party of this years conference and I'd love it if it happens again in the same space. Hope the Opium guys do a good job.

Guest dgrutman

everything on the beach is moving that direction with the setai, w hotel, gansver, soho house and the new fountain bleu.

Guest macboy

Opium/Prive can't leave, because if they do, no new club can replace it due to new zoning regs for nightlife establishments south of 5th that were passed about a year ago. It doesn't serve the Milons' best interests to close it. That being said, good luck to Grutman and crew with the State spot. Hope you guys have success where no one else seemed to be able to in the last 5 years.

Oh and Saleen, there are like 8 Ws in NYC. Not all are that great but I'd expect the new one in SoBe to be super, sandwiched between the Setai and Hotel Gansevoort.

Opium/Prive can't leave, because if they do, no new club can replace it due to new zoning regs for nightlife establishments south of 5th that were passed about a year ago. It doesn't serve the Milons' best interests to close it. That being said, good luck to Grutman and crew with the State spot. Hope you guys have success where no one else seemed to be able to in the last 5 years.

Oh and Saleen, there are like 8 Ws in NYC. Not all are that great but I'd expect the new one in SoBe to be super, sandwiched between the Setai and Hotel Gansevoort.

The one I was at, was in midtown... not sure if that helps, has a sweet lounge in the lobby downstairs..

Guest Untouchablepurple

I tried to talk LP into taking Hati or the Dominican Republic over and creating our own Ibiza he was too busy trying dominate the world like Dr Evil...

Hahaha I though that was funny !!

Guest swank

everything on the beach is moving that direction with the setai, w hotel, gansver, soho house and the new fountain bleu.

Dave, i'm hearing Opium is doing something in broward, whats the word...???

The W in NYC is nice...

I am a 'Preferred Starwood' member and have stayed in very many of the 'W Hotels'...to the best of my knowledge they are not building in SoBe and have already broken ground on their latest property which will also be a residence, in Fort Lauderdale.

BTW Saleen...they're are 5 Hotels in NewYork and they all have lounges in their lobbies...

Guest macboy

I am a 'Preferred Starwood' member and have stayed in very many of the 'W Hotels'...to the best of my knowledge they are not building in SoBe and have already broken ground on their latest property which will also be a residence, in Fort Lauderdale.

BTW Saleen...they're are 5 Hotels in NewYork and they all have lounges in their lobbies...

Starwood bought the Holiday Inn on 22nd and Collins. The W in SoBe is a go...