Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Grammy Nominations Announced

Guest Chica

Guest Chica

NEW YORK (AP) -- Mariah Carey's comeback came full circle Thursday as she was nominated for eight Grammys, including album of the year for "The Emancipation of Mimi" and song and record of the year for her torch ballad "We Belong Together."

Carey's eight nominations tied John Legend and Kanye West. ( Watch Carey's reaction to her nominations -- 3:54)

Soul crooner Legend's nominations included best new artist, while West is up for album of the year for "Late Registration" and song of the year for "Gold Digger."

"I feel incredible," said Legend, a West protege whose debut "Get Lifted" was a million-seller. "You put a lot of expectations into what you want the record to be."

Other multiple nominees included 50 Cent, Gwen Stefani, U2 and Bruce Springsteen.

Springsteen was among the surprises -- his "Devils & Dust" was nominated for song of the year (a songwriter's award), along with Rascal Flatts' "Bless the Broken Road," Legend's "Ordinary People," Carey's "We Belong Together" and U2's "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own."

Perennial Grammy favorite U2 was nominated for five awards, including album of the year for "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb." Besides Carey and West, other nominees in the category were Stefani's kitschy solo debut, "Love. Angel. Music. Baby," which mined '80s pop, and Paul McCartney's "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard," which earned his best reviews in years.

Besides "We Belong Together" and "Gold Digger," record of the year nominees included the Gorillaz' "Feel Good Inc." featuring De La Soul, Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" and Stefani's "Hollaback Girl."

Carey's many nominations helped put an exclamation point on her amazing year. Her career had been languishing in recent years, and some insiders doubted whether the multi-octave singer could return to her multiplatinum ways after a series of debacles, including an emotional breakdown and being bought out of her Virgin Records contract.

"The Emancipation of Mimi" proved the skeptics wrong. Not only has it sold more than 4 million copies, making it the No. 2 best-selling album of the year, but it included one of the year's most popular songs with "We Belong Together."

"Hollaback Girl" was also among the year's most popular, and it helped Stefani garner five nominations. Stefani's "Love. Angel. Music. Baby" was her debut apart from No Doubt, and helped establish her as a solo superstar.

U2's "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" received an album of the year nomination.Stevie Wonder also received multiple nominations. Releasing his first album in 10 years, "A Time to Love," he was nominated for six awards, including best R&B album.

50 Cent, who had the year's best-selling album with "The Massacre," was nominated for six awards, but none in major categories.

One of the big snubs: Coldplay, who's "X&Y," one of the year's biggest albums with hits like "Fix You," was shut out of the album, song and record of the year categories. But they were nominated for rock album of the year.

The Grammys will be handed out in Los Angeles on February 8.

Guest web_norah

^^ ::)

if the Grammys suck don't watch them.

i am psyched for Mariah Carey, as i am a huge fan of her latest album.

and i am glad Coldplay got shafted, they're not Lenny Kravitz, Norah Jones, Kainey West or anything as such, they stopped being innovative music long long ago.............

Guest ShampooBabe

All those nominated sux...

I dont understand why everybody loves mariah... we belong together is a lame song, not enjoyable at all to hear.

I use to love Gorilaz, but those new songs i dont like.

U2 was good before, but i dont like any of their new songs either...

Green day sux too, especially their song a video: wake me up when september ends. They sound like a bad copy of themselves...

Hollaback girl, is so boring to hear too. I love gwen sense of fashion, but i dont like no songs in her new album...

i dont think i will watch this show.

Guest web_norah

all of you are completely full of caca, i bet a dollar that one of those "overplayed" songs hits the dancefloor while your fav trance/ house/ DJ XYZ is playing it, and you're all living for the song or the remix, etc, etc.

it's flipping music not the Nobel awards. ::)

and if Mariah is such a wack singer, why is she still current some 10 yrs later? hello? you may not like what she sings but she can at least belt a song out without sounding like a fraud (ie. Ashlee Simpson and all the teen pop tarts).

Guest michael^heaven

ill be sure not to watch.

+1

I concur..

Grammy's suck' date=' almost as bad as the MTV video awards.

[/quote']

X10!!!gu_cussing.gif

Guest slamminshaun

all of you are completely full of caca, i bet a dollar that one of those "overplayed" songs hits the dancefloor while your fav trance/ house/ DJ XYZ is playing it, and you're all living for the song or the remix, etc, etc.

it's flipping music not the Nobel awards. ::)

You better save that dollar for more winter clothing. I'm not dissing on the Grammy's because the music is overplayed, or anything like that. I simply think the show itself is boring at best.

Guest Chica

LOL

I can't stand Mariah Carey she is soooo FAKE but whatever people love her music

im very offended by your statement

lol sorry I didn't mean to....

Guest web_norah

if the Grammys are such shit -you should consider removing the Deep Dish song on your Myspace page Shaun, since it is another crap-ol' piece of music nominated for an award.... :o ::)