Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The ultimate form of motorsports

240turbo

Which is better?  

1. 1. Which is better?

This one is for the race fans. Let's hear it!!!

Personally I never considered NASCAR a form of motorsports. Motorsports are all about advanced technology and light weight. Nascar is neither. The cars are heavier than tanks(3500 lbs) and use 1960's detroit pushrod technology making 700 hp. NASCAR is driven on an oval track, meaning the drivers only turn left. BORING!!! Yuck. Formula 1 cars are made of light, exotic materials like Carbon Fiber and Kevlar. Resulting in 1600 lbs w/ driver. The engines make close to 900 hp out of extrememly high revving and high tech small displacement engines. Result= scary speed and gravity forces , try 0-60 in 1.8 secs 3.0 g's, if not more in g-forces and a restricted top speed of well over 230MPH. Yikes!!

Guest michael^heaven

---I'd say that for the fans, NASCAR is better. Just because it's more fan friendly, allowing fans to get up-close & personal with the drivers, cars, & crew areas. The television coverage also seems to be more widespread...at least here in the States. Plus, you can hear the pit crew & driver conversations during a race if you have a Nextel phone. Now, for speed & pushing the envelope of technology, hands down Formula1 takes the cake. Personally, they both bore me to tears but that's just IMO. 8)

Guest tres-b

F1 takes time to get into the story lines, understand the technology and appreciate completely. It isnt a sport that you really get the most out of without watching a few races(minimum). The cars develop as the season progresses. The tracks are legendary. The drivers are the best in the world.

Anyone who votes for Nascar doesnt have a clue.

Nascar is for dumbass wannabe race fans who are too stupid and dim to cheer for anything other than a big slow car running into the ass of another big slow car to push them out of the way.

MotoGP rocks. Those guys are absolutely incredible. I dont follow it like I do F1 but the races are great. If you like flat out on the edge racing, MotoGP is for you.

Guest mp3some

Anyone who votes for Nascar doesnt have a clue.

Nascar is for dumbass wannabe race fans who are too stupid and dim to cheer for anything other than a big slow car running into the ass of another big slow car to push them out of the way.

MotoGP rocks. Those guys are absolutely incredible. I dont follow it like I do F1 but the races are great. If you like flat out on the edge racing, MotoGP is for you.

lol :D

*claps*

first off, illegal street racing is the ultimate form of racing, but F1 the drivers don't even drive, the computer does...

The driver still shifts using a sequential gearbox with steering wheel mounted buttons. It's not an automatic. And no it's not that gimmicky tiptronic BS transmission that you see in 90% of the cars nowadays. A sequential gearbox actually shifts faster than a human being. Very few street cars actually have a sequential gearbox. The New M5, the M3 and pretty much all the Ferraris.

Guest JMT

its all about top fuel!

personally i wish american open wheel racing never would have split...

F1 is the easily the most advanced but that doesnt mean there is no appeal in NASCAR. just like how the NFL is the epitome of professional football but the NCAA is a game all its own. that oval track some call boring allows for more passing. ive seen F1 races where barely a single person gets passed. its not the technology that makes racing interesting to me, its the thrill. to paraphrase michael schumacher, "you have to be a little bit insane to want to race ovals."

Guest Fez

first off, illegal street racing is the ultimate form of racing, but F1 the drivers don't even drive, the computer does...

street racing is not fun...

it's stupid...and dangerous...

Guest mp3some

first off' date=' illegal street racing is the ultimate form of racing, but F1 the drivers don't even drive, the computer does...

[/quote']

The driver still shifts using a sequential gearbox with steering wheel mounted buttons. It's not an automatic. And no it's not that gimmicky tiptronic BS transmission that you see in 90% of the cars nowadays. A sequential gearbox actually shifts faster than a human being. Very few street cars actually have a sequential gearbox. The New M5, the M3 and pretty much all the Ferraris.

Nearly every race car that has a manual transmission uses the sequential approach rather than the "H" pattern. There are four main reasons for this preference:

The sequential shift is quicker. For example, to go from 2nd to 3rd gear on the "H" pattern, you have to push the lever up, over and up again. That takes time. On a sequential gearbox, you simply push the lever up for every gear change.

The sequential shift is consistent. You do not have to think, "Let's see, I'm in second gear so I have to go up-over-up to get to third." You simply push the lever forward -- it's the same motion for every gear.

The hand location is consistent. With the "H" pattern, the location of the shift lever changes, so you have to think about where to put your hand depending on which gear you are in. With a sequential gearbox, the shift lever is always in the same place for the next shift.

The sequential shift has no surprises. If you mis-shift with the "H" pattern in a race (for example, down-shifting to 2nd when you meant to go to 4th), it is possible to blow up the engine. That can never happen with a sequential gearbox.

The other advantage is that the sequential shift lever takes up less space in the race car cockpit. You only need space for the forward/backward motion of the lever, not left/right.

This photo shows the gear shift lever of the Motorola Champ car. The gear shift lever is to the driver's right. The car has a sequential six-speed transmission, so instead of the H-pattern seen on a normal manual transmission, the shifter moves in a straight line.

champ-cockpit2.jpg

Nearly all race transmissions use the sequential shift approach. The drum is rotated manually by a lever in the cockpit, or it is rotated by solenoids, pneumatics or hydraulics that are activated electronically. In the electronic case, the driver has a pair of paddle switches on the steering wheel to control the mechanism and never has to move his/her hands from the steering wheel.

sequential-gearbox-animation.gif

Because of the advantages of the sequential approach, this type of transmission is starting to appear on cars in the high-end tuner market. A sequential manual transmission is not to be confused with a "tiptronic" sort of automatic transmission. The tiptronic system may duplicate the shift lever motion of a sequential gearbox. However, because a tiptronic transmission is an automatic transmission at its core, it still has the torque converter and usually does not shift as quickly.

Nearly every race car that has a manual transmission uses the sequential approach rather than the "H" pattern. There are four main reasons for this preference:

The sequential shift is quicker. For example, to go from 2nd to 3rd gear on the "H" pattern, you have to push the lever up, over and up again. That takes time. On a sequential gearbox, you simply push the lever up for every gear change.

The sequential shift is consistent. You do not have to think, "Let's see, I'm in second gear so I have to go up-over-up to get to third." You simply push the lever forward -- it's the same motion for every gear.

The hand location is consistent. With the "H" pattern, the location of the shift lever changes, so you have to think about where to put your hand depending on which gear you are in. With a sequential gearbox, the shift lever is always in the same place for the next shift.

The sequential shift has no surprises. If you mis-shift with the "H" pattern in a race (for example, down-shifting to 2nd when you meant to go to 4th), it is possible to blow up the engine. That can never happen with a sequential gearbox.

The other advantage is that the sequential shift lever takes up less space in the race car cockpit. You only need space for the forward/backward motion of the lever, not left/right.

This photo shows the gear shift lever of the Motorola Champ car. The gear shift lever is to the driver's right. The car has a sequential six-speed transmission, so instead of the H-pattern seen on a normal manual transmission, the shifter moves in a straight line.

champ-cockpit2.jpg

Nearly all race transmissions use the sequential shift approach. The drum is rotated manually by a lever in the cockpit, or it is rotated by solenoids, pneumatics or hydraulics that are activated electronically. In the electronic case, the driver has a pair of paddle switches on the steering wheel to control the mechanism and never has to move his/her hands from the steering wheel.

sequential-gearbox-animation.gif

Because of the advantages of the sequential approach, this type of transmission is starting to appear on cars in the high-end tuner market. A sequential manual transmission is not to be confused with a "tiptronic" sort of automatic transmission. The tiptronic system may duplicate the shift lever motion of a sequential gearbox. However, because a tiptronic transmission is an automatic transmission at its core, it still has the torque converter and usually does not shift as quickly.

wow i did not know that...

Exactly.

My opinion: In order to truly begin to race, you must first test yourself in a controlled environment, i.e. at a track against a clock. Once you know youreself, your limits, and your weaknesses, THEN you can pit yourself against other drivers.

NASCAR's appeal is that its a more spectator friendly sport, the technology is easier to follow, the sponsors are household names etc. Its also a uniquely american sport.

Though i hate NASCAR. I prefer F1.

Exactly.

My opinion: In order to truly begin to race, you must first test yourself in a controlled environment, i.e. at a track against a clock. Once you know youreself, your limits, and your weaknesses, THEN you can pit yourself against other drivers.

NASCAR's appeal is that its a more spectator friendly sport, the technology is easier to follow, the sponsors are household names etc. Its also a uniquely american sport.

NASCAR is for tabacco chewing, confederate flag wielding, beer swilling hillbillies with bushy mustaches, cowboy hats, and pointy boots...Yeehaw!!!

first off' date=' illegal street racing is the ultimate form of racing, but F1 the drivers don't even drive, the computer does...

[/quote']

Exactly.

Yeehaw!!!

www.myspace.com/yeehaw

Guest mp3some

[/quote']

Exactly.

NASCAR is for tabacco chewing, confederate flag wielding, beer swilling hillbillies with bushy mustaches, cowboy hats, and pointy boots...Yeehaw!!!

AND Mullets! u forgot the mullets!

Racin_Mullet.jpg

nascar_mullet.jpg17059769_ccdbe75ea3_m.jpg

LOL!!!

Guest tres-b

I have never been to a sporting event that had as many beautiful women as the USGP. I can only imagine Monaco. 8)

Nascar=white trash/ meth/ Winnabago :P

F1=supermodels/ blow/ Ferrari ;)

• 4 months later...
Guest mp3some

Bizzump!!!

The San Marino GP Coming up this weekend. Racing at Imola circuit... Ferrari's home turf. Legendary course, one of the funnest races of the season for all Ferrari Fans... A sea of red on the stands... ;D

Looking fwd to it.

The season is turning out nicely... Renault up on top of the Constructor's championship and Fernando Alonso kickin ass! on the driver's championship...

Here's a little eye candy from the last race....

49827.jpg

49822.jpg

48702.jpg

Oh, and the cars too.....

58063.jpg

58137.jpg

58116.jpg

58072.jpg

killer pumas there... :P

58025.jpg

#1...

58073.jpg