Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Clinical depression on E

aliebling

I have a friend who I'm dying to introduce to ecstasy, but she's hesitant because she's mildy clinically depressed and has taken medication for it in the past (not anymore, though). She's afraid that since E messes with seratonin levels and she's already got problems with that, it has the potential to do something really bad to her. Would it be dangerous for her to roll?

------------------

"Nothing makes one more vain than being told one is a sinner."

Have they pinned down any specific reason for her clinical depression (mental, anxiety, chemical imbalance)? I know a few people who have been depressed prior to using E, but afterwards were able to work through their personal problems and inner conflicts during and after an MDMA experience. In fact, MDMA has very promising therepeutic applications. I would suggest just making her first roll a very positive experience and she will no doubt benefit from it mentally and emotionally.

I would say don't do it. Unless she's been recovered from the depressive episode for at least 1 year. The serotonin levels will be seriously depleted after the roll, and that might cause a relapse. My best friend is a therapist, ans she says "no way" to this question.

------------------

"You look Disco-Bitchin Fine!!"

I would argue that it all depends on your friend. There's no right or wrong answer here. It depends on how stable/together she is normally. (You didn't mention how long ago it was that she was clinically depressed.) You hear stories from both sides about how effective MDMA is with depression.... I don't think anything's been proven - we don't know enough about it, frankly.

Either way, I don't think that 1 hit of MDMA is going to screw anyone up too badly. (Look at all the respectable, normal people on this board. wink.gif ) The danger is getting into the scene and doing it every week... that's what I'd warn your friend about.

I'd take her out, give her 1/2 a (good) pill and see how she likes it. Good luck to you guys whatever you decide.

peace as always

------------------

--ss23

*If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit.*

Thanks for the input! I think I'll just tell her what all of you said and leave it up to her. I don't personally think it would be a problem - she's totally stable and together, and it was years ago that she was diagnosed as being depressed... she's a fun person and I know she would love it, I just want to look out for her safety!

------------------

"Nothing makes one more vain than being told one is a sinner."

I would totally argue against it. I know a good deal about medicine and brain chemistry and let me tell you I knew some girl that was a diagnosed w/ manic depression and she turned into a basket case after she rolled a few times. NOT A GOOD IDEA .. especially if this girl has been on prozac. She's ok now but only cause her seratonin levels are going back to normal.

jsc