Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Players Club sold to Phil Smith....

V. Barbarino

Guest mp3some

Who knows.....

11th st might become miami's W 27th & 28th btw 10th & 11th ave....

Space is tough, but there's room for others.

Ultimately WE win.

.- 8)

The guy is not an idiot Nick. With the right promotion' date=' anything is possible. How do you explain Metropolis packing 5000+ people on a saturday night with Nocturnal and Space Down the block.

[/quote']

50 clubs before him failed, and probably 50 more after... Noc won't be around after this wmc, so lets make that 51 and add players in so thats 52..

Guest Phazonian

;D Are you crazy? Phil Smith is one of the best club owners out there!! he actually cares about sound, lighting, and the music,, the mans reputation is unparalled... not to mention the sound company!! i firmly believe his impression will be felt on ne 11st very soon!!!!!! and believe you me i would bet anything this soundsystem will be unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest mp3some

;D Are you crazy? Phil Smith is one of the best club owners out there!! he actually cares about sound, lighting, and the music,, the mans reputation is unparalled... not to mention the sound company!! i firmly believe his impression will be felt on ne 11st very soon!!!!!! and believe you me i would bet anything this soundsystem will be unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!

looking fwd to this already.... if it does happen, that is... :P

it always comes down to the formula.....

Here's for a 2006 full of surprises -and possibilities-! *insert beer smiley*

8)

Guest fended

Thats what I hear... if it's true, Phil Smith (Twilo/Phazon) you are an idiot...

FYI - LP WAS PHIL SMITH'S DJ IN THE LATE 70'S AND EARLY 8O'S. LP LEARNED EVERYTHING HE KNOWS FROM PHIL SMITH.

LP MAY BE THE DEVIL........BUT PS IS THE DEVILS TEACHER.

INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Guest Phazonian
:o OHH boy it will be very interesting! from what i hear the team PS has assembled is amazing... from what i have been told just about the sound is mindblowing

Thats what I hear... if it's true, Phil Smith (Twilo/Phazon) you are an idiot...

FYI - LP WAS PHIL SMITH'S DJ IN THE LATE 70'S AND EARLY 8O'S. LP LEARNED EVERYTHING HE KNOWS FROM PHIL SMITH.

I wonder if LP himself would open up a club if the rolls were reversed.. I'd say he probably wouldn't... He knows what I've been preaching, the club scene is over Even if Phill did everthing perfect, space is not going to play nice, this inudstry is all about today, not what you did 20 years ago when X was legal and Giuliani was a prosecutor not a mayor and house muisc was a brand new undiscovered genre.. Now it's washed up like Farve. This market and industry is so bad, I'm still amazed at people with enough capital willing to part with their money to open up a club...

Guest coach

Can I just adopt a negative attitude for a sec and say how sick I am of all the new (and renovating) clubs touting their sound system. A good sound system don't mean shit.

This isn't targeted at anyone specifically, but it seems like every club that has opened or renovated in the last year, at least, has crowed about how awesome their sound system is.

I hate to tell you this, guys, but only like 1% of the population cares. Well, maybe in Miami, thanks to websites like Cooljunkie, 2% cares, but it still isn't much.

Certainly, you need an adequate sound system, but you know what? There have been packed clubs since the idea of club was invented, way before there were super-tech sound systems like today.

There are so many other things that make a club good, that I think in a list of the top 11, sound would probably be around 10th.

Okay, end of negativity. In any case, I, too, wish any new club all the best. It's always fun to check new stuff out. I'll be looking forward to whatever develops.

Guest Adam Singer

sounds like star wars

Guest james stratus

All I know is I would love to see a monthly Sasha and Digweed residency again. As well as Franky Bones on the decks from time to time... Phil can do this and a lot more!

Guest Phazonian

if you look at every club in miami and new york all do the same things, twilo was cutting edge,, wasnt about the wannabee models and b list celebrities, it was about the party,, the music, the vibe, ask anyone who used to frequent that place they still talk about it for gods sake,,, has any club ever measured up to it? well phil smith was the 1 who made it what it was, so i know he is about to reinvent the wheel again!

Guest mp3some

Can I just adopt a negative attitude for a sec and say how sick I am of all the new (and renovating) clubs touting their sound system. A good sound system don't mean shit.

This isn't targeted at anyone specifically, but it seems like every club that has opened or renovated in the last year, at least, has crowed about how awesome their sound system is.

I hate to tell you this, guys, but only like 1% of the population cares. Well, maybe in Miami, thanks to websites like Cooljunkie, 2% cares, but it still isn't much.

Certainly, you need an adequate sound system, but you know what? There have been packed clubs since the idea of club was invented, way before there were super-tech sound systems like today.

There are so many other things that make a club good, that I think in a list of the top 11, sound would probably be around 10th.

Okay, end of negativity. In any case, I, too, wish any new club all the best. It's always fun to check new stuff out. I'll be looking forward to whatever develops.

You are right with regards to the % that actually cares having thier ears blown out when they go out. Almost as many as the clueless bunch who doesnt care what dj spins.

One thing an above par sound system attracts is Top Talent.

Phazon sound systems were the first all around setups to become famous worldwide for the customization process invloved in installing these. From NY to Tokyo to Miami, rooms with these systems have a distinct sound (again, only perceived by a small % of clubbers) and make touring dj's want to stop by and play their records on the rig.

The fact that every time a club comes out or is renovated, they tout having the most powerful, cleanest etc, is all part of their marketing. Some of them really put some thought and $ into the issue and it is a big part of the equation when ur setting up a club.

Now, The character in question (PS) is one of the ppl responsible for this phenomenon. Before Phazon, a club had big systems, loud systems, but nothing of the caliber of these. -- Remeber one of the names LP gave to his new setup: "Spazon" LOL --

It will definitely be interesting to see what they do with the room and how they set up the system. If you ever went to Twilo, u know how that sounded, and yes, even vibrated.

What REALLY is getting old tho, is saleen's glooming cloud of negativism about the scene being dead.

Wake up dude.

The scene may be dead in Sioux Falls, SD.

There is still a LOT of $ to be made here in miami.

Just like in any other industry, there is a market, there are competitors, consumers and service/goods. A good Business Plan, enough Capital and EXPERIENCE of both the industry and the market will help you succeed. Nothing is guaranteed. Not even failure.

But I must say, saleen's perspective does add a cartoonish side to it all.

another 2 cents. :P

.- 8)

Guest Devilicious

The guy is not an idiot Nick. With the right promotion' date=' anything is possible. How do you explain Metropolis packing 5000+ people on a saturday night with Nocturnal and Space Down the block.

[/quote']

Hialeah.

Guest coach

The guy is not an idiot Nick. With the right promotion, anything is possible. How do you explain Metropolis packing 5000+ people on a saturday night with Nocturnal and Space Down the block.

Hialeah.

You are such a South Beach Snob! <3

The guy is not an idiot Nick. With the right promotion, anything is possible. How do you explain Metropolis packing 5000+ people on a saturday night with Nocturnal and Space Down the block.

Hialeah.

It's either you're trying to be funny, or you're just being ignorant. I would actually consider that if it came from somebody who went there regularly. Not somebody making arbitrary statements based on a sneek peek. Ask any promoter what an arduous task it is to fill up a large club successfully every week. It's not about putting large billboards all around town.That alone does not bring people. Out of the 5000 people that show up on a friday, less than 15% show up on saturday. Not everybody wants to go to the same club two days in a row. So that's another 4000-6000 people that you must promote to. And not all of them are weekly regulars, so that complicates things even further. So in order for you to have a steady rotation and keep a club that big full week in and out, the promoters must be in contact with roughly 20,000-40,000 people a month. If not more. As a promoter I can tell you first hand that it is not easy. So don't try to make it seem like it's a matter of going to Hialeah and inviting 5000 people. It simply does not work that way, and it's not as easy as you think. There is always the probability factor at play. Give the promoters more credit. Any credible promoter reading your post will think you're stupid. If the promoters don't bring the crowd, guess what? Nobody has a job. Point blank.

Guest saintjohn
A good sound system don't mean shit.

For club owners, a good sound system is one that keeps patrons happy and allows bartenders to hear orders. In order to do that, a system needs powerful bass to provoke a flight or fight response (why we equate loud with excitement), an undistorted midrange so casual conversation is possible off the dancefloor, and crystal clear highs so that ear fatigue is minimized (so people stay longer and drink more).

I should also add that the cost of a premium sound system doesn't make sense for the majority of clubs. While Space wouldn't be Space without its massive Dynacord system, venues like Pawn Shop thrive despite (because of?) their less-than-impressive audio.

Even in venues where the music supposedly matters, great sound systems are only one part of a club's appeal. NV, located on the same block and boasting a similar Dynacord sound system as Space, was unable to compete with its (in)famous neighbor. Maze, with its much-hyped Funktion One system, failed miserably. Don't even get me started on Nocturnal.

Guest coach

Um, John, I think your last paragraph there just proved my point! BTW, when are we doing dinner? Holler the next time you are down!

Guest Devilicious

[/quote']

Hialeah.

It's either you're trying to be funny, or you're just being ignorant. I would actually consider that if it came from somebody who went there regularly. Not somebody making arbitrary statements based on a sneek peek. Ask any promoter what an arduous task it is to fill up a large club successfully every week. It's not about putting large billboards all around town.That alone does not bring people. Out of the 5000 people that show up on a friday, less than 15% show up on saturday. Not everybody wants to go to the same club two days in a row. So that's another 4000-6000 people that you must promote to. And not all of them are weekly regulars, so that complicates things even further. So in order for you to have a steady rotation and keep a club that big full week in and out, the promoters must be in contact with roughly 20,000-40,000 people a month. If not more. As a promoter I can tell you first hand that it is not easy. So don't try to make it seem like it's a matter of going to Hialeah and inviting 5000 people. It simply does not work that way, and it's not as easy as you think. There is always the probability factor at play. Give the promoters more credit. Any credible promoter reading your post will think you're stupid. If the promoters don't bring the crowd, guess what? Nobody has a job. Point blank.

LMAO... dude it's too early in 2006 to be getting your panties in a bunch. Maybe you should have tried to have some fun last night instead of sitting in front of your pc. ::)

Guest saintjohn
Um, John, I think your last paragraph there just proved my point!

We'll just have to agree to agree, then!

I wasn't taking issue with your statement, just trying to explore the concept of a "good sound system." What's good for you or me may not be good for a club owner. Of course, what's good for the people who design and install sound systems is a different matter altogether.

We want to hear and feel the music. Club owners want to sell alcohol. Sound system installers want to sell expensive installations. It's a rare and wonderful thing when everyone gets what they want. It's like one of those three-way Venn diagrams from math class:

venn.gif

Lorraine is the talented but high-strung sound system designer, John is the aging club patron, and the mysterious and somewhat sinister Mister Pignati is the club owner. Our individual desires usually outweigh our mutual goals. And that's before we factor in the borderline personalities, dysfunctional relationships, and substance abuse.

BTW, when are we doing dinner? Holler the next time you are down!

Not this week, for sure. Maybe the following weekend?

Hialeah.

LMAO... dude it's too early in 2006 to be getting your panties in a bunch. Maybe you should have tried to have some fun last night instead of sitting in front of your pc. ::)

::)