Clubplanet Nightlife Community

pod ! ... an 18 megapixel camera ? wtf ! lol

Guest pod

article_img.jpg

The basic camera starts at some US$32,000 though just like buying a BMW, expect to shell out plenty more for accessories like lenses, battery packs and no small amount on storage.

Sure, Flash memory is pretty cheap these days, but a single photo taken at full whack on the H2D-39 will chew 78MB, or "only" 50MB with lossless compression applied. That's just ten shots on the 512MB card you got for Christmas that will hold over 200 photos at 5MP.

Guest Diabolique

if it's a SD card, I'm good. Got about 2G's worthof memory...

but damn $32K for a camera? who would need that camera, and for what?

Guest pod

CF, not SD. Even a 2 gig with the H2D-39 wouldn't be a lot.

As for who shoots this? Well fashion guys for one, who have their stuff blown up to billboards and the like. After one or two shoots with this, it pays for itself. Plus it is pretty much all gravy after that, you don't have to pay for or worry about film processing or waste your day scanning.

The bigger the file and sensor, the better it blows up. I can do 20" x 24" with my gear pretty well. I've done 100' banners before with my gear and it looks good from a distance. With this I could do 100' banners and it'll look good up close.

What you're paying for in this is the build quality and the price of the sensor. A large camera sensor is very difficult to make properly. Any sort of sensor chip or computer chip starts life being etched on a wafer of silicon 12" in diameter (or 18" I forget). Each sensor in this case has 39 million discrete little circuits on it, spread over an area of 6 cm by 4.5 cm. With that many, there's bound to be a few bad ones in the chip. Each chip is punched from the wafer and tested. The ones that have too many bad circuits get tossed. The bigger the chip, the lower the yield per wafer, which drives up the cost significantly. In this case I think they throw out half of what they make.

On the other side, the chip inside your camera phone or pocket digicam has maybe 5 million circuits on a far smaller sensor, so you can toss out a lot and still have quite a bit, and also the tolerances for consumer cameras are much higher...your average Joe out with his Sony Cybershot isn't gonna care about 100 dead pixels out of 5 million...a pro will raise holy hell about that.

You can see dead pixels by shooting your camera at it's top resolution and zooming in real close. If you see a black or white square in a field of another color, it is probably a dead pixel.

Its amaizing what some people think is new.

If the general public only knew that Mega Pixels doesn't mean much, Camera makers would go broke.

Hasselbad, Canon and the "N" word will be making 20 megapixel consumer cameras within 5 years

ok mr expert ... for us "general public" is not common at all to hear about some shit like this ...if u go to best buy you wont find a camera like this right ?

maybe if you would be so kind and let us all know something about ur large knowledge .. ::)

lol .. seriously ..

btw, i know it doesnt "mean much" how many mega pixels your digital camera have .... and you know why ? cause i read Pc Magazine and watch Dl.tv alot ::)

:P

Guest saintjohn
Hasselbad, Canon and the "N" word will be making 20 megapixel consumer cameras within 5 years

20 megapixel snapshots? Radically increasing image file size may help sell cameras, but it isn't going to help people take better pictures, or compensate for poor lenses, or prevent Aunt Mildred from printing out all of her vacation shots on the matte back side of that "premium" inkjet glossy photo paper that the Office Depot clerk encouraged her to buy.

Yeah, my father just bought a new Nikon D200 for taking pictures of the grandkids. But I'm not bitter.

Guest Diabolique

what language are you guys speaking? Certainly nothing I understand....

pixelspchreck, don't you know it? 8)

;D

Guest Cosmigonon

what language are you guys speaking? Certainly nothing I understand....

pixelspchreck, don't you know it? 8)

;D

LOL!!