Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Global Gathering reviews...

V. Barbarino

Got there at 11am and stayed till 7pm, once Roger was done, we were done.

First, it wasn't about the music, I saw so many people I haven't seen in years, so it was great because of that.

At first, I thought GG was gonna loose their ass, but by 7pm it was packed, with a great crowd, though lots and lots of freaks all dressed in black...

Good setup, the Biscayne Tent had once serious setup, sick sound, great booth etc.. Well done..

Set of the day, Dean Coleman, ripped it! loved it. Roger, ripped it!!!! Great focking set S man, crowd was bumping.

Deep Dish, played a Eddie Murphy remix not once, not twice, but three times! in two hours, they did well at times, but Dean and Roger handed them their asses. Roland ripped it big time, way way impressed with his set..

Crystal Method played 80's remixes and the dj screwd up and stopped the music by mistake, they were awful and everyone felt the same.

GG Mistakes

1. no enough trash cans

2. No seating! After 8 hours on our feet, we just wanted to chill for an hour, but there was not one seat in the place, this was seriously dumb, we would have stayed, but were too tired. You say you want people to come early, but you don't provide ANY seating. I'm not gonna sit in the grass like some hippie.

3. The sound on the downtown stage by the entrance was so focking loud it was bad.. People would walk into a 1000 decible techno show and book past to the other tents. I'm sure S and D will be great, but for the day, that stage was worthless.

Drum and bass tent was bumping. Rock was doing their thing. Saw Bside on the Ferris wheel, what were you doing up their B side, hmmmmmmmm ;D

The rides were a great touch..

Overall, for the 1st GG it was a smashing success imo, Nick, Dan Gekko etc, all you guys congrads, it was def a great production, Denny and I thank you guys..

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Adam Singer

i took a few hundred pics...+ some sick videos, will put a review together tomorrow !

really sick time - Sasha & Digweed killlllled

NIN started their set with mr self distruct , was bringing back tons of memories :)

btw - putting armin after s&d? ::) - that was a disaster...

Guest HouseJunkie

The event was good, music was great and the sound system in the House tent was really good ... no complaints.

My only complaint was the food that was available or the lack there of. There is zero nutrional value in Hotdogs, salted chicken strips and fries, one cannot dance for 12 hours without food to replenish their energy.

Awesome time, i'm glad saleen was able to convince me to go.. Great to hang with the boys again.

My fav sets were Dean Coleman and Roland!! I would have probably listened to all of roland's set but it was just so loud over there.. wow. But great job buddy!

My biggest complaint is not enough trash cans.. They easily need to triple the amount of trash cans they have out there. The concept was great.. Electric music and goth rock or whatever you call it over there.. the crowd made for awesome people watching!! :P

It was great to see all the CJers i have seen in ages and to meet some newbies. I swear i saw freaking keith richards while i was there. lol

Next year i hope they book denny later so we can stay later.. me, hog and dui left early cuz we were just beat.. (bad sign i'm getting older..boooo)

Have a great time at WMC guys!! I'll be in NYC ;D

Guest Miss_Digital

Breaks tent was the highlight of the night

best live preformance

UBERZONE was awesome dj and banging those drums, then came

STANTON WARRIORS there style is incredible, they were all over the place in there set, they played a breaks version of Feel Good inc by the Gorillaz sortly after a remix of a Ludacris song striaght into a Rage Against the Machine song

they pulled it off flawlessly, al on top of nasty breaks

Then i saw ADAM FREELAND he was great too he had an MC freestyling on stage, very good show

i got lots from my friends abillion times but always manged to find them again

after that i stumbled around the rock stage there was soooo many people it was like a sea of people by far the most packed

saw Rob Zombie, he was good caught his couple of last songs, try to wait around for NIN but, there just too much time between the two preformances so we left

good times

got there around 1130... yeah early.........

for me the best set of the day goes to Deep Dish....... I am by no means a Deep Dish fan but they were awesome. not the ZZZZZZZZZ house i remember when i saw them last.

Roger also rocked it for the hour i was there (danced more to Roger actually. but only stayed an hr before i went to see Sasha and Digweed)

The festival didnt have an Ultraesque crowd by any means but there was still id say maybe btw 25-30k .... its only the first year so im sure it will only grow.

I like the way the rock stage and dance stages were completely seperated. in a way the rockers and dance crowds rarely intermingled.

by far the rock stage was the most slammed literally all day..

acts i saw (for the most part all the acts ran on schedule)

Downtown Stage (insane sound. even with earplugs my ears were like wtfffffffffffff--gotta agree with Saleen it was overkill)

1. Stryke-i heard him coming from my car. i just knew it was him with his techno....(thanks for the cd)

2. Shawn Rudnick

3. Roland

4. Edgar V (first dj to get a decent size crowd in front of this stage as early on people were still filing in)

- he dropped one of my fav trance tracks ever in "gamemaster" ;D

Biscayne Tent

5. Deep Dish -place was freakin nuts ( i have a shitload of pics from this) great set

6. Roger Sanchez-held a crowd till Sasha and Digweed started then it emptied.. Roger had a ton of energy and was droppin some sick funky/tribal bit of electro and even some soulful acapellas =most i danced all day

(buster on the mic getting the crowd motivated)

THANKS TO DENNY for takin my pics with Roger and a few others.... def a class act....... (course i got a pic with tsettos as well ;) )

Downtown stage

Sasha and digweed----umm yeah... too hard... i like the stuff diggers plays on his kiss show more quirky stuff. they started like that and i liked it but then cuz its an outdoor festival they started to play too hard.... got bored

The fireworks were sick though during their set. got some pics of that

soooooo went to rock stage

saw some of avenged sevenfold....... GOOD SHYTE. wanted to see NIN and rob zombie but i was so far away from that stage it was pointless so went back to see Armin. No way i was gonna get trampled in that sea of "black" lol

Armin Van Buuren- havent seen him in 2 yrs. he did a good job.... lots of new stuff. nothing amazing but he had me dancing and the crowd goin nuts.......

by the time ferry got on a lot had left. prollly to see NIN. i was exahusted and ferry once again started with the vintage ferryesque tracks we all know. so i decided to leave

THE GOOD AND BAD

Overall.... I think it was very well organized. getting in was no issue. The stages were well set up.... though i dont like bicentennial park at all for these festivals.

I miss Bayfront already.. maybe i was just used to it but nothing beats that stadium stage (at least u can sit lol ).

WE NEED SEATING.... I GOT HOME AND I SAID TO MYSELF IM TOO OLD FOR THIS LOL . MY LEGS WERE IN LITERAL PAIN.

Overall Good times...... woke up with a bloody nose thanks to all the dirt and crap geting in there. ughhhhh what a mess . lol

I TOOK 97 PICS

pics to come btw now and wed

PS ( i like that little pawn shop rest area on the hill there. thanks eddy for the AXIS FLYERS.COM hat... kept the rest of my nose from peeling) 8)

Thanks again to Nick Junkie and Pod for everything 8) :) 8) :)

It was so apparent, EDM was a side show for the rock stuff, and the rock stuff is what brought people out. So imo if they want to make money, they will dump 95% of the djs, just book Roger, DD, Morillo, Tiesto and a few others, and book more bands..

Do some quick math, at 50 bucks a tix, 20k people twice in a weekend go see DMB. Why is LP and the gang wasting thier time with djs for? I bet you'll see them transisition into concert promoters without the edm or the EDM being a side show...

Guest Miss_Digital

I loved the rock aspect.. it brings in the freaks and a lot of people.. i would have loved to stay for NIN but i was just too beat.

i feel the same way it was a nice mix of people all with the same comun denominator, having a good time

i left right before they came on to tired from breathing that dust

ALLERGIES! say here we come

Guest nickjunkie

HUGE THANKS to everyone who came out, from the DJ's to our partners to our guests. To do just short of 25,000 people in our first year is better than we ever imagined we'd do, but more importantly the awesome feedback so far from clubbers, rock fans, DJ's, bands and agents has made it totally worthwhile.

This one has definitely been a learning experience for us, and we'll take into account all comments and our own observations as we move ahead with planning future Global Gatherings. Rest assured, this is only the first piece of a very large jigsaw, and we'll be making a few big announcements in the coming months.

Hope you all had a blast!

N

Guest slamminshaun

How come XM radio didn't promote this? They're promoting Ultra pretty heavy....I can only assume it boils down to $$$.

Guest Miss_Digital

HUGE THANKS to everyone who came out, from the DJ's to our partners to our guests. To do just short of 25,000 people in our first year is better than we ever imagined we'd do, but more importantly the awesome feedback so far from clubbers, rock fans, DJ's, bands and agents has made it totally worthwhile.

This one has definitely been a learning experience for us, and we'll take into account all comments and our own observations as we move ahead with planning future Global Gatherings. Rest assured, this is only the first piece of a very large jigsaw, and we'll be making a few big announcements in the coming months.

Hope you all had a blast!

N

i thougt it was pretty well organized

• no mission at will call, no lines to get in
  • the rides were awesome ferris wheel was great seeing everything from so high
  • i did NOT see alot of the bad things i've seen at ultra, people OD, people getting arrested by undercovers
  • those frozen margaritas hit the spot
  • vendor prices were very fair

Guest Diabolique

I loved the rock aspect.. it brings in the freaks and a lot of people.. i would have loved to stay for NIN but i was just too beat.

the crowd was delightful, IMO. Security was competent and professional. This festival was very user-friendly, well run, fairly well organized....the 45 minute delay at the rock tent fubard some breakbeat plans, but NIN more than made up for that!

& vistas were awesome too...

and...I met Saleen!!! not long enough to see the real version I heard about (all good I promise), but good vibes all around.

I ran into Alex, Mr & Mrs Lazar, B-side, as far as I can remember. ;D always a delight to see all of the above!

I wanted to ride the one where you lay face down in a cage...ooooh that looked so fun!

Those Brits know how to throw a party! :D

ps. sure they had a few glitches, but they handled things just fine.

Guest LiquidX

Alrights.

The front part of the park its pretty discouraging with all that construction but its all in the hopes for a better park.

I say they were in between 15-20 max in a given a time. Tickets sold as a whole I dont know.. close to 25 huh?

Downtown Stage was pretty empty with very scattered peeps until Edgar came and filled it a bit more. The Biscayne tent was mostly full the whole time I passed through there. The rock stage was by far the one packed most of the time but not Ultra packed.

What I enjoyed was the liberty of been able to walk and not stumble into a crowd.

I really really had a great time, good set up and a noticeable experienced organization runing it.

Funny that most of the complaints went in regards to gargabe cans, cause thats what I kept bitching about lol .

I will be honest to say, and this comes from a friend of miine that came exclusively to the rock concert, that mixing Rock and Electronic music dont really go in par. he's despute was that Electronic music is all happy while the rock artists were singing all depressed, dark-songs, its 2 different tones. I liked the idea but noticing that the rock people only went to stay in the rock stage most of the day, kids with their parents and real rock crowd dont match at all with the ravers or electronic music enthusiasts. This did not take away the fun, just that it dont bring that energy one would feel in alongside your own crowds if you know what I mean. The DJ's, as mentioned, were just a side show, but clearly not the main purpose of GG as observed. The rides were a very neat touch,

I really enjoyed the festival and If it keeps this way I'll come back.

A great start for whats to come this coming week :-)

Guest coach

WE <3 BACARDI!

The only thing they didn't give out was a Bacardi wheelbarrow to take home all the free stuff they were giving out. And they really hooking it up with all the Bacardi Babes!

Musical Highlights:

Ferry Corsten

S&D

Uberzone

Stryke

K-Swing

Flyleaf!!!!!!!!

The New Times stage was in a bad location.

Seating would have been nice, but it is not something I really expect at an outdoor festival.

I agree on the trash cans, but WTF happened to the cleanup crew???? Did they all quit the day before? I saw no one picking up trash.

Great job on getting enough porta-potties out there, unfortunately, TP ran out at or before 5pm.

Why were the 2 main stages the only ones with no covering? We spent more time in the Breaks tent than expected because we needed a break from the sun.

Loved all the vendors, and food was plentiful an easy to find, though more choices would have been nice. We did the chicken shish-ka-bob, which was good.

AWESOME FIREWORKS!!!!!!

The dance and performance stages needed to be WAY closer to the fence. Inside would have been better, actually.

I also noticed that there were a LOT more rock fans than EDM fans there, especially early in the day. I don't know if they advertised more to the rock demographic, or what.

Great to see all the peeps out! Saw so many friends, that was very cool. I can't believe we missed you, Miss Digital, we were at Breaks for Uberzone, too!

All in all, had a blast! hope to see it more next year. Though it would be nice if it was more than a week apart from Ultra. That gets a little tough on the wallet and the feet.

Pics up now (or very soon). I'm too lazy to do the [ img ] [ /img ] thing 175 times, so just go to

http://uncommontimes.com/pictures/v/coachjames/gg1/

and there it is all organized in a nice gallery for you.

Guest spacecadet

sasha & digweed was one of the sickest sets i ever heard. Very happy the way the festival was set up and with the dj schedule, much props to the organizers :)

sasha & digweed was one of the sickest sets i ever heard. Very happy the way the festival was set up and with the dj schedule, much props to the organizers :)

Agreed.Sasha & Digweed was handsdown the best set/show yesturday.Must say the visuals were out of this world.Enjoyed just about all the music I heard.Only complaint was that Stryke spun way too early and didnt get a chance to hear him spin.Roland did a great job.Edgar aswell,very energetic set,that ohm boys-down under track was fucking sick.Deep Dish had me dancing believe it or not :) Roger also.The crowd was loving it.AVB started cheesy and ended cheesy but what he threw down in between was great.Wanted to stay for Ferry's set but i was too tired and had to go get some rest for the after party @ Nocturnal.Good times.Hope it happens again next year. 8)

Guest dahzel

really glad to hear it was such a success. glad everyone had a good time.... really wish i could've been there. it sucks to miss not only one great festival but two :-[.

The guy from I think Angel Live, you know the crazy Brit that took over Ice in Vegas on Spike Tv, I saw him numerous times, he looks like the biggest asshole.. Never smiling or nothing. Buddy, smile!

I spoke to a lot of djs, they were super happy with how the production turned out. Food was good, decent prices, this festival has legs.. I'm excited to see what they have in store the next time.. (Red Hot Chillie Peppers please!)

Denny has never played a festival before, even though there wasn't many people there, he was super happy playing, he was smiling the whole day.

Roger and Dean killed it!