Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Rey Navarro of Ultra loses lawsuit against Global Gathering

V. Barbarino

This lawsuit has been going on for a few weeks now, surprised no one knew, I kept it quiet till now.

Ok, let’s get some facts out of the way.

Ray Nevaro works for UMF, if you go to their site, which surprisingly is not working for the list of employees, his name use to be on there, and mysteriously disappeared. But I'm the saleen and I'm much smarter, so I took a screen shot, see Exhibit A, his name was on their site.

• Rey Navarro filed suit for a temporary injunction against Global Gathering claiming he owned the name "Global Gathering"

• If he won GG would have been shut down

• The judge, after hearing the facts and reading evidence denied his initial motion for an injunction, and also told his legal team that GG had a strong case

• Following that judgement, Rey dropped the case for a temporary injunction

• Lawsuit over the name continues

Basically good old Ray acting alone (yea right) sued GG because he claimed he owns the name GG.

Isn't it funny, GG was annouced way back and they only sued a month before?

My question is, did Ray act alone? Was he paid off? Did ultra promise him compensation? Was Ray the second shooter on the grassy nowl??

Shame on you Ultra Music Fest, nothing wrong with competition, but this is pathetic.

This is all public record, you can go to the court house and see for yourself.

UMF.jpg

Guest Ariel

Ray Navarro used to work for Ultra. Then in 2003 if i can remember, he threw the party called Global Gathering to compete against Ultra. GG went on in 2002 as well but all i know is that in 2003 (when i did promotions for Ultra) both of them (GG and Ultra) were competing against each other. But I guess since GG did horrible, Ray went back to work for Ultra.

Kinda wack that he would go ahead and Sue GG when he stoled that name.

Guest LiquidX

Funny how Saleen makes a judgment and blames Ultra as a whole for the act of 1 promoter. I wont put my mouth where I shouldnt, but to come up and blame Ultra for it its just funny. I'll wait for the truth.. although, good entertainment for those like the Drama

Guest coach

Okay, check this

http://www.sunbiz.org/scripts/cordet.exe?a1=DETFIL&n1=T06000000225&n2=NAMFWD&n3=0000&n4=N&r1=&r2=&r3=&r4=GLOBALGATHERING&r5=

Followed by this

http://www.sunbiz.org/scripts/cordet.exe?a1=DETFIL&n1=P01000053390&n2=NAMFWD&n3=0000&n4=N&r1=&r2=&r3=&r4=GLOBALHTMPROMOTIONALGROUP&r5=

If those links don't work, go here

http://www.sunbiz.org/corpweb/inquiry/corinam.html

Do a search for Global Gathering. You will see it is owned by GLOBAL HTM PROMOTIONAL GROUP, INC.

You can then do a search on that name and you will find it is owned by NARVAEZ, RADAMES and was originally incorporated in 2003.

Guest nickjunkie

Trademark application has been filed but not approved. Navarro filed in Feb 2006 and Angel Music Group filed in October 2005.

The second is a corporation name which is not a trademark.

All matters relating to the lawsuit and injunction hearing are matters of public record, and can be accessed by anyone who is interested. The judge's finding, based pre-existing case law, was that AMG held the strongest claim to the trademark having created it and built it since mid 2001.

Guest r3nz0
Is this the same guy that was stalking some of our girls a while back or do I have the names confused?

You have the names confused. And, bitch, where's that lemonade I asked for an hour ago?

Don't think just because you have the bad luck of being cursed with a small penis, I'm gonna take it any easier on you.

Guest riotgear

we're quiet because you're a moron saleen.....

Rey has been using the name global gathering for HIS OWN PARTIES (having nothing to do with UMF) for the past 4 years. these events have taken place in south florida and even in Tampa. The lawsuit was not because of Ultra at all. That's the name he's been using and he has the right to contest if anyone else uses it.

so whatever you thought you knew........

Rey has been using the name global gathering for HIS OWN PARTIES (having nothing to do with UMF) for the past 4 years. these events have taken place in south florida and even in Tampa. The lawsuit was not because of Ultra at all. That's the name he's been using and he has the right to contest if anyone else uses it.

lets start over

Ray works for UMF

Ray lost his injunction case

Ray works for UMF

Will probably loose the lawsuit as well based upon what the judge said.

Ray works for UMF

His name was yanked from the site, because if GG can trace this back to UMF, then GG will go after UMF...

Guest riotgear

lets start over

Ray works for UMF

Ray lost his injunction case

Ray works for UMF

Will probably loose the lawsuit as well based upon what the judge said.

Ray works for UMF

His name was yanked from the site, because if GG can trace this back to UMF, then GG will go after UMF...

saleen, please make more sense. Rey knew about Global way before we even began with UMF for this year. There's other things that went on that need not be put on this message board. Do your research before you start calling shit out. Rey's law suit had nothing to do with Ultra at all. Believe what you wish, but please dont start false rumors.

Guest Skytraveler

I was about to say the same thing. the name GG has been around for quite some time in Florida. Amazing how someone doesn't do research before he needs to start some smack

Oh well

Good luck to all

back to the partying at hand..................................

Guest subdigital-sy

Well well well……Im back haha…..after 2 years of silence on this board. I have come back to discus some issues. But we wont go DJ bashing this time…..lol

Mr Saleen 351 I think you should do your homework before you decide to go bashing someone in public. But since you didn’t this time I will help. Rey has been doing parties for over 10 years (Amoeba, Magical Maydayz, Galactic Grove, Global Gathering, etc). Every party that he did had a different theme. At Magical Maydayz he had little elf’s and fairies dancing around the club. The whole point is that every party he did had a theme. The concept of Global Gathering was to have different areas of the venue look and feel like a different part of the world, which was a huge success every year. So you see Mr Saleen 351 this lawsuit was not about getting rid of competition. It was about someone stealing the name of a party that Rey work very hard to build.

Mr Saleen 351 your conspiracy is soOoOoOOooOoo cute! But wrong! Do you really think that Ultra needs to eliminate competition? COMPETITION??? The Global Gathering Fest was more of a rock concert then an electronic music festival. Plus they don’t have the solid reputation, booking power, and support that Ultra has. Mr Saleen 351 don’t hate because you cant be part of something as big as Ultra!

Actually that is not true it is the first applied use of a name in the country of the trademark application that is what counts. Rey started his GG in 2002, started promoting it in Florida in 2001. Same year GG UK started promoting their event and actually held it in the UK. GK as a company has been throwing events for several years in the US. So my question is if it was even a precautionary tactic....why didn't they apply for that name trademark when they came over with that GK Sauza Tequila US tour.... Either way it's their thing to sort out... but people should know more about trademark law before they speak on the matter.

Trademark application has been filed but not approved. Navarro filed in Feb 2006 and Angel Music Group filed in October 2005.

The second is a corporation name which is not a trademark.

All matters relating to the lawsuit and injunction hearing are matters of public record, and can be accessed by anyone who is interested. The judge's finding, based pre-existing case law, was that AMG held the strongest claim to the trademark having created it and built it since mid 2001.

Guest macboy

Actually that is not true it is the first applied use of a name in the country of the trademark application that is what counts.

While you are right about that, that is not always the sole deciding factor. One only need look to Donald Trump as an example. He has sued numerous companies over the years that have used the Trump name for their products, services, or as a store name, even though they were in use long before Trump became a household name. He has won many times. Familiarity with the name and who or what it was most closely associated with were often the arguments. As for GG, I've lived here in Miami for over 4 years, never heard of Rey's GG, only the UK GG.

That being said, my opinion is that this will come down to who has more money to spend on lawyers. I'm guessing that the GG UK folks have more cash to throw around. While I won't predict the outcome, if I were a betting man I'd put my money on GG UK. These things can drag out for a while. Sorry to use Trump as an example again, but take a look at all the applications for "You're Fired". Mark Burnett and Donald Trump are litigating everyone to death, to the point that LEGITIMATE applicants are abandoning their requests for that trademark. Yet, over two years after all of these applications were filed, nothing is final.

I guess we'll see GG 2007 and GG 2008 before we see this case resolved.

Also, just curious, when was the last GG-Rey festival? If it's been a while, I'd have argued abandonment in court. ;D