Clubplanet Nightlife Community

School's 'Holocaust' Experiment Upsets Parents

poysoniv

Guest HouseJunkie

Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with this exercise, one can truly appreciate or understand something that is experienced as oppose to something that was read from a book.

A field trip to the zoo to look upon a giraffe is not the same as reading about a magnificently tall animal.

Stop whinning.

Guest slamminshaun

Reminds me of Jane Elliot's "Blue Eyes/Brown Eyes" experiment she did in the classroom....for those of you who aren't old enough to know what that was, look it up....

Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with this exercise, one can truly appreciate or understand something that is experienced as oppose to something that was read from a book.

A field trip to the zoo to look upon a giraffe is not the same as reading about a magnificently tall animal.

Stop whinning.

Personally, i think it would have been enough to show them a couple videos or have a survivor come in and talk about their own experience through it. Also, how can you compare something like goin to a zoo to look at an animal which is something positive to a project like this one that is all about negativity.

Guest ShampooBabe

i think that this kind of experiment is suitable for college people, but teenagers, they are too sensitive, its a age plagued with insecurities. I think it was innapropiate, its more damaging than giving an positive lesson... It opens the door to intolerance...

Reminds me of Jane Elliot's "Blue Eyes/Brown Eyes" experiment she did in the classroom....for those of you who aren't old enough to know what that was' date=' look it up....

[/quote']

I was a Junior in HS when "Schindler's List" came out in the theatres. To start off the spring semester that year in school, one of my instructors did the Jane Elliot's "Blue Eyes/Brown Eyes" experiment with the entire Junior class. The entire faculty, including the President and Principle at my private catholic HS were in on the experiment

If you have no idea what the Jane Elliot's "Blue Eyes/Brown Eyes" experiment is read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A1132480

It was an experience that I will never forget, freinds were crying, getting very emotinal, going to the principles office yelling at him, telling himn it wasn't fair.

The experiment only lasted one day and they told us it was all a "learning experiment" at the end of the day, but it was a great way to start off an entire semester in which wer studies the Holocaust / WWII .

I honestly think that its a good idea. Although it is something that we logically would think is more suitable for college students, at a younger age it has a greater impact since they are more impressionable. Kids these days have no idea what it is like to be persecuted and ostracized (for the most part). They live in an age of entitlement, they think they deserve everything without having to sacrifice anything. They need to be taught how to empathize and respect others. Obviously they aren't being taught that at home. Those parents that are upset with the program aren't taking this as an opportunity to educate their children. Its not about being a Jew, its about being different and being judged unfairly for your differences. Parents need to man up and take responsability for their children's educations and take part at the very least to supplement where they think the schools are lacking. They are YOUR kids, not the school's.

Guest slamminshaun

They are YOUR kids, not the school's.

Correct. All the more reason to inform the parents before doing something so controversial. Since their tax dollars pay the teachers' salaries, parents should have been in the loop. Besides that, the fact that younger kids are more impressionable, as you pointed out, is all the more reason that parents should have been notified. As rude as this may sound, parents have the right to raise racist kids if they choose to with no interference from Big Brother. Values should only be taught at home and have no place in the public classroom. Public schools should stick to academics and can the theatrics.

I wil reiterate, the Jane Elliot's "Blue Eyes/Brown Eyes" experiment was one of the best learning experiences of my life. I wish every child in the US would experience it. They should. They would be much more humble and respectful.

If you have no clue what I am talking about , GOOGLE search, "Jane Elliot's "Blue Eyes/Brown Eyes" experiment "

Guest swirlundergrounder

THIS IS A HORRIBLE IDEA!!

You people that think that this is a good idea obviously don't have kids of your own!

If I found out my kid couldn't drink from a water fountain, was made to stand in the back of the class without being able to sit, or moved to the back of a line during lunch? I'd be pissed off! These things have an affect on the childs ability to learn in school.

This does no good what so ever for kids at this age!

Guest slamminshaun

THIS IS A HORRIBLE IDEA!!

You people that think that this is a good idea obviously don't have kids of your own!

If I found out my kid couldn't drink from a water fountain, was made to stand in the back of the class without being able to sit, or moved to the back of a line during lunch? I'd be pissed off! These things have an affect on the childs ability to learn in school.

This does no good what so ever for kids at this age!

You and I are agreeing way too much lately you brokeback conservative.

Guest swirlundergrounder

I honestly think that its a good idea. Although it is something that we logically would think is more suitable for college students, at a younger age it has a greater impact since they are more impressionable. Kids these days have no idea what it is like to be persecuted and ostracized (for the most part). They live in an age of entitlement, they think they deserve everything without having to sacrifice anything. They need to be taught how to empathize and respect others. Obviously they aren't being taught that at home. Those parents that are upset with the program aren't taking this as an opportunity to educate their children. Its not about being a Jew, its about being different and being judged unfairly for your differences. Parents need to man up and take responsability for their children's educations and take part at the very least to supplement where they think the schools are lacking. They are YOUR kids, not the school's.

I'm sorry but you obviously don't have a kid of your own! I'd be upset if my kid was included in this experiment WITHOUT MY CONSENT!.

Depriving my kid to be able to drink water, go to the back of the lunch line when they are hungry, or stand in the back of the class, debilitates my childs abilty to learn even if it's only for a day?

I will teach my child to respect and have empthy for others on our own time. And my child will grow up with the world view that I have.

I grew up as the only minority in an all white school with hundreds of other white kids. You know how many times everyday someone picked on me and called me names? Being ridiculed is no fun even if for one day and especially at that age, experiment or not!

Bad idea!

Guest slamminshaun

I'd be upset if my kid was included in this experiment WITHOUT MY CONSENT!.

I will teach my child to respect and have empthy for others on our own time. And my child will grow up with the world view that I have.

Right on man...Even if parents want their children to grow up with a fucked up view of the world, that is the parent's choice and the government has no right to interfere with that. Like I said before, even if you raise your kid to be a racist pig, that is your right. The government has no right whatsoever to push their "enlightened" view of the world onto your children without first seeking your consent. It is YOUR tax dollars in that school.

Could you imagine an Iranian parent finding out his son was labeled as a Jew for the day? Whatever your core values are, you can't force them on other people in the classroom.

Guest swirlundergrounder

I'd be upset if my kid was included in this experiment WITHOUT MY CONSENT!.

Right on man...

Could you imagine an Iranian parent finding out his son was labeled as a Jew for the day? Whatever your core values are' date=' you can't force them on other people in the classroom.

[/quote']LOL....Or an Egyptian kid wearing the Star Of David on the arm....