Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bad Business????????

Guest spinderella7713

Guest spinderella7713

Mind you I'm kind of new to heading parties but im running into some serious shadyness... I've started producing parties full time and it is some people bread and butter but tell me what u think of this.....there are two competing parties and i invite some guy to be a part of our team....he comes to the first meeting, gets all the information about our party and then i see him on the flyer for the competition...uhhh obviously i ask about it ..he says he was tricked into doing the party and he was only doing the one then going along with ours...so the next week i dont hear from him and he is working for them again as head promoter....then he has the balls to go to my party (while his is still going on) with 4 poeple continue to hand out flyers and leave with 20 people ...this all after i bought him and his crew a shot....

do people have morals!!!! Is it so serious that you actually spy your competition. I find it sad....and a wonderful example of why our parties are suffering...cant we just healthily compete? and i know its an idealistic idea....but maybe have 2 great parties....sorry just venting again. ::)

Guest pod

Nature of the beast. Best advice I can give you is watch your own ass cause no one else will in this business.

And if you start drafting people from the "other side", get a legally binding contract drawn up. If they don't sign it, screw 'em and find someone who will. If they break it, go after them.

Guest james stratus

Nature of the beast. Best advice I can give you is watch your own ass cause no one else will in this business.

And if you start drafting people from the "other side", get a legally binding contract drawn up. If they don't sign it, screw 'em and find someone who will. If they break it, go after them.

Ditto! Anyone on here that has done or been a part of any event as a promoter, booker, or DJ knows that a large percentage of the people in this business are cut throat and shady. It seriously boils down to eat or be eaten :(

Guest biznation00

Doesn't surprise me... I've seen a lot happen in this business & it will continue because most people who work in this business get caught up with the wrong things or the wrong peepz. & when their mouth's water for an opportunity or an ounce of success, they'll sell out their own mother!

Tread carefully, watch who you associate yourself with! Even a horrible experience like this one has a positive. You we're screwed, but you learned something so you're a better person now. They on the other hand...

Biz

Mind you I'm kind of new to heading parties but im running into some serious shadyness... I've started producing parties full time and it is some people bread and butter but tell me what u think of this.....there are two competing parties and i invite some guy to be a part of our team....he comes to the first meeting, gets all the information about our party and then i see him on the flyer for the competition...uhhh obviously i ask about it ..he says he was tricked into doing the party and he was only doing the one then going along with ours...so the next week i dont hear from him and he is working for them again as head promoter....then he has the balls to go to my party (while his is still going on) with 4 poeple continue to hand out flyers and leave with 20 people ...this all after i bought him and his crew a shot....

do people have morals!!!! Is it so serious that you actually spy your competition. I find it sad....and a wonderful example of why our parties are suffering...cant we just healthily compete? and i know its an idealistic idea....but maybe have 2 great parties....sorry just venting again. ::)

I suggest you get a job at the post office, you are not ready for the real corp world..

LP use to hire people from his competition, then fire them a month later... That's old school gladiator style..

Guest ericac

I'm surprised that YOU r surprised that there are people like this. This industry is all about every man for himself. Its unforturnate....I am one of those free spirits that feel, cant we all just get along?! Cant we all join and have 1 BIG party?

muahzz girl, I like being nuetral.

Guest pod

It's against human nature. Being competitive is basic human instinct. Through a few thousand years of civilization we've at least managed to stop clubbing each other on the head. Oh wait, now we do it with cruise missiles and shit. ;D

Nonetheless, clubland can be ruthless, and it is best to be prepared.

Guest musicalmissionary

name please...

Guest swirlundergrounder

Exactly! When employing people on any level in the scene draw up a contract to protect both parties involved. Don't make any promises that you can't keep and in return don't break any. Tell peeps if they help you out you can pay them some money now and then the rest when the party is done so that people won't turn their backs on you. But you also have to be prepared to pay people for their work and they have to understand (according to the said contract) what their responsibilities and limitations are.

There are good peeps out there and then you have your shadey ones. If someone shows any signs of shadeyness cut them loose.

Guest spinderella7713

i guess sometimes i can be a little too trusting since my word is as good as stone i expect the same from the people I work with., but BIZ your right i learned and it will only help me with my work in the future...the other one can keep doing k breaking bar ...lol.

Guest michael^heaven

---I used to promote for a certain "big name" club back in the early-to-mid '90's. Cut-throat to say the least. Battling to get paid, not being on the list at my own parties...all kinds of fun. I even had a guy that told my boss that I wasn't flyering certain areas/nights so he could snag my job. Full-on knob!!

Guest rollyp66

Unfortunately, it happens. Just remember Karma is a bitch, I'm sure it will all come full circle at some point just be true to yourself and your peers.

Guest rhythmburn

like everyone says, part of the business....

rolly brings up a good point about karma...

when you are shady, shittalking, or whatever, it will come back around...

Guest pod

If I hired someone for my club from a rival club I'd tag them like a wild animal and make damn sure they never came close to their former place of employment.

Guest spinderella7713

I choose to take the higher road...but most people who know about whats going on with the monday afterhours @ studio A know exactly whats up. sorry.

Guest coach

this thread is useless without names. come on, rat them out...

That is Bad business......

Actually, if everyone had a posted policy of ratting out the fuckers, there would be a LOT fewer of them.

Guest pod

It's good business cause the rat bastards are shaken out. See my "union" speech for a few weeks ago. If the good promoters in town blacklist the bad promoters, it is a good thing.