Clubplanet Nightlife Community

UFC: Royce Gracie coming out of retirement after 11 years

Guest JMT

Guest JMT

the only time i really followed UFC was back in his heydey. this should be interesting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

HUGHES - GRACIE SET FOR MAY 27, 2006 AT STAPLES CENTER IN LOS ANGELES, CA.

FROM WWW.UFC.COM

Las Vegas, NV – After 11 years away from the house that he built, Royce Gracie will awe the fight world when he returns to the Octagon™ to take on UFC® Champion Matt Hughes and prove, once and for all, that he is the master in the sport of mixed martial arts. Gracie, credited for launching MMA in the United States, will take on two-time World Champion Matt Hughes, considered by many to be the greatest welterweight competitor in UFC history at UFC 60: HUGHES vs. GRACIE taking place live from STAPLES Center Saturday, May 27, 2006...

royce_hughes-poster.jpg

http://www.roycegracie.tv/frames/news/gracie_ufc_2.htm

• 1 month later...
Guest JMT

matt hughes took him late in the first round, the ref stopped it when gracie could not fend off hughes' staple "ground and pound" move. :(

a couple of things i did not like was that gracie was not allowed to wear his gi (or any shirt for that matter), and he was forced to wear gloves. both rules did not exist in his day and work to his disadvantage.

in the end he was the old guy, beat up by the younger guy. i would also like to know if they drug test these guys, they are much bigger then they used to be 10 years ago.

i.cfc?method=get&s=79D81F2F-1422-0E8C-9A10C359A4D71B20.jpg&cs=1

Guest LeVeL

I watched the fight and I knew that Gracie was going to get whooped by Matt. Matt is clearly on top of his game and his weight class. Gracie cannot just take all those years off from fighting and actually think he can step in the Octogon with a guy of the caliber of Matt Hughes. He made a great attempt at it but training is not the same as fighting.

Clearly Gracie Jiu Jitsu is not the dominant MMA style at this moment. you need to be all around now in days and that is something Matt Hughes and guys like Liddell, Rich Franklin are doing.

The only challenge I see for Matt Hughes right now is George St. Pierre who is the #1 challenger right now and who we might see clash very soon. Its something everyone is looking for and I actually think Pierre can take him.

But if Matt Hughes wins that fight then he will either have to move up in weightclass or the UFC will have to bring one of the guys from Pride Fighting Championships over to challenge Matt.

Guest LeVeL

a couple of things i did not like was that gracie was not allowed to wear his gi (or any shirt for that matter), and he was forced to wear gloves. both rules did not exist in his day and work to his disadvantage.

in the end he was the old guy, beat up by the younger guy. i would also like to know if they drug test these guys, they are much bigger then they used to be 10 years ago.

UFC fighters get tested for steroids just like the Boxers do since they utilize the same commision and rules.

And the rules have been placed to not allow fighters wear, pants,shirts,shoes or Gi for some time now. And Gracie was fully aware about these rules and that he had to wear a glove for sometime now.

Nothing to give Gracie a disadvantage just that UFC is different now in days its not liek it was in the past where there were no rules or weight classes. Everything has been set up this way for the sport can be more accepted by the public to make it safer and more spealing.

By the way those Glove that are worn are more potent and are not as heavy and the regular boxing gloves used in Boxing.

Guest JMT

i know why those rules exist, but they didnt back in his day. my point was just that the cards were all stacked against him. gracie used to use his gi to help cling to the body of his opponent better, and he never used gloves so he could manuver his hands better in a hold.

this was not the same royce gracie, thats why it was a little dissapointing to me.

ok, i wasnt sure about the drug testing, but good to know that they do it.

Guest BIOBLIZZARD

That fight was a disgrace to the entire Gracie family, legend etc.

Royce wasn't physically or mentally ready for that fight at all especially being out of the octagon for over 10 year's.

UFC drug testing is a joke, year's ago Dana White didn't even want to institute a testing policy because he was afraid of how many athlete's would fail.

Never the less a few fighter's over the year's have gotten caught, while other's have used better masking agent's.............

Guest JMT
UFC drug testing is a joke, year's ago Dana White didn't even want to institute a testing policy because he was afraid of how many athlete's would fail.

Never the less a few fighter's over the year's have gotten caught, while other's have used better masking agent's.............

DF, it really made me wonder after i watched all the old footage in the promotion for this fight. seeing the competitions back-to back, the guys now are so much more ripped. it just doesnt look right.

Guest BIOBLIZZARD

DF, it really made me wonder after i watched all the old footage in the promotion for this fight. seeing the competitions back-to back, the guys now are so much more ripped. it just doesnt look right.

There was a True Life, I'm a professional fighter on A&E year's ago John, I'll try to find a link.

I forget the fighter's name but the series focused on the training,nutrition, and pharmacology that fighter's used during training for a fight.

I respect Royce for being natural his entire career, as far as I know he has never used anything, but you can clearly see the difference in conditioning between Hughes and Gracie.

That fight was over before it started.............

Guest LeVeL

Come on guys..

These athletes train,condition themselves every day, they take supplements. These guys work out day in and day out. Matt Hughes or any of the guys in UFC can be compared to the bodies you see on WWE.

Matt Hughes simply beat the crap out of Gracie no excuses, Gracie takes supplements,works out, runs ect.

Just recently Dana white and the rest of the UFC Camp were on Quite Frankly with Stephen A. Smith and they were asked if their fighters use steroids and they answered by saying that they are governed by the same rules Boxing is.

Only because someone looks cut up and only because fighters look bigger from before doesn't mean steroids are involved. Its just means better conditioning, better workout, stronger atheletes because there is more competition in UFC now then there was in the past.

Guest BIOBLIZZARD

dumbest sport ever...

I rather watch bum fights...

Gracie use to just hump guys till they gave in, that's not fighting... That's called BEING GAY!

Why people buy this shit on PPV is beyond me...

I'm kinda partial to ghetto fight's where the odd's are against everyone including the camera man.

Guest LeVeL

dumbest sport ever...

Gracie use to just hump guys till they gave in, that's not fighting... That's called BEING GAY!

Because its the closest thing to a Street Fight out there. And its way more entertaining than Boxing,K1, WWE ect.

These guys are pure gladiators that aren't paid out by the promoter before the fight to lose, just for the purpose of a rematch to make more money.

And not all the fights go to the ground for your information.

Guest JMT
dumbest sport ever...

so he humped guys with multiple degree black belts until they quit?

its ok to admit you dont understand it. personally, i still prefer boxing but this is legal fighting in its purest form. if a fight isnt settle with blows, it turns into grappling. its a natural progression.

Guest LeVeL

its ok to admit you dont understand it. personally, i still prefer boxing but this is legal fighting in its purest form. if a fight isnt settle with blows, it turns into grappling. its a natural progression.

Acourse he doesn't understand it, you dont see no Guidos in UFC...what is a guido on steroids going to do in a fight...what fist pump his ooponents to death..lol :P

I was a bouncer for a few years, please don't buy into that crap you see on tv.. Those guys are the top .000001% in their niche sports. All of that kunfu shit is over rated crapola.. I beat the hell out of plenty black belts, I was bigger and strong, and there is nothing you can do to a man that is much bigger and stronger. I have friends who are prison guards, they are so big, there is little anyone can do to stop them. In the real world, of fights in clubs and bars the kunfu shit is 100% worthless..

One of our bouncers tried to take on Rod Coleman, it took myself to use my 220 pounds to get him out of the club, he weights much much more than me, i was out gunned, but the kunfu bouncer was way way way way way way way out gunned.

Imagine, Larry Allen figting Reggie White, now that's real fighting..

ps, here is Rod Coleman (he went to ECU where I went, he played with David Garrad)

13160_512.jpg

Guest LeVeL

Saleen you dont get it...

The most important aspect in a fight is what tactic your going to make against your opponent. This is utilized everytime when there is a match in the UFC Octogon.

You can be a Boxer,Wrestler,Jiu Jitsu, Muay Tai, Kenpo, Sambo or Judo fighter but if you utilize the wrong tactic then that can make you or break you.

In the streets either your opponent is going to strike you with a punch or slam your face against the ground its up to you to either make the first move or let your opponent make the first move an hope he misses for you can recover.

This is not a club when your going to be able to push drunk guys out of the club.

Guest JMT

I was a bouncer for a few years, please don't buy into that crap you see on tv.. Those guys are the top .000001% in their niche sports. All of that kunfu shit is over rated crapola.. I beat the hell out of plenty black belts, I was bigger and strong, and there is nothing you can do to a man that is much bigger and stronger. I have friends who are prison guards, they are so big, there is little anyone can do to stop them. In the real world, of fights in clubs and bars the kunfu shit is 100% worthless..

you just explained the entire point of UFC. to see what man or style wins against another.

gracie used to beat men who were much bigger and stronger by making them submit from the pain of a hold. they didnt have weight classes back then.

the act of fighting and physically trying to move someone out of a bar arent the same thing either.

Guest JMT

larry allen would be so slow in the ring he would get choked out in 3 minutes by a skilled fighter.

size and skill are relative. but there is a reason big, blubbery guys like that arent in UFC (or any fighting sport other than sumo wrestling, for that matter), bc they get destroyed. there is no comparison.

in the world of boxing or against an unskilled opponent tyson could crush people, but when there are no gloves and anything goes, he becomes one dimensional. one-dimensional fighters get exposed in UFC. straight boxers probably stopped entering the competition about a decade ago. if tyson can win a legitimate k-1 fight, then maybe he might even have a chance.

larry allen would be so slow in the ring he would get choked out in 3 minutes by a skilled fighter.

size and skill are relative. but there is a reason big, blubbery guys like that arent in UFC (or any fighting sport other than sumo wrestling, for that matter), bc they get destroyed. there is no comparison.

in the world of boxing or against an unskilled opponent tyson could crush people, but when there are no gloves and anything goes, he becomes one dimensional. one-dimensional fighters get exposed in UFC. straight boxers probably stopped entering the competition about a decade ago. if tyson can win a legitimate k-1 fight, then maybe he might even have a chance.

guards in the NFL are not slow!!! Far from it...

He can bench press 225, 43 times all without drugs

He squatted 850 without juice

How much can he press? Here is your answer.

http://media.putfile.com/Larry-Allen-700-Bench-Press

Hit the guy all you want, he's going to hurt you bad.

tell that to the jiu-jitsu and Muay Tai guys...lol