Clubplanet Nightlife Community

ATTN SALEEN

Guest biznation00

Guest Miss_Digital

I've been saying this for awhile, that dance music will survive in the clubs if people would apply a business solution to what is essentially a business problem.

Space is a perfect example

as much as i dislike the club

i find myself having to go back and having a great time while i'm there

essentially its not a place were i can go cause i like the atmosphere, or go just to go on any regular weekend IMO

but i go for the Djs its the only place now, for years that has managed to get it right continuesly bringing DJs that i wanna see

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ramon

Then you'd bitch about "your" sub-culture being co-opted by the masses.

;D

I say it in jest, but it is true, with some people you can't win.

it already has .. i ain't complain .. im just complaining the fact it hasn't taken off in the planet that is miami.

;D

it already has .. i ain't complain .. im just complaining the fact it hasn't taken off in the planet that is miami.

It appears to be taking off quite nicely up here. ;D

Guest pod

I've said 197320734 times before that it is a unique environment here, conventional solutions don't work.

Guest ramon

I've said 197320734 times before that it is a unique environment here, conventional solutions don't work.

we are trying !!!

:'( :'( :'(

Guest Miss_Digital

;D

not really

our artist need more support

Guest AlanS

we are trying !!!

:'( :'( :'(

And doing a damn good job at it!

May and Zentz in the next month, consistant rotation of quality djs and artist through Connected.. I know its a rocky road, but you ARE making it happen. The reason you are currently relegated to working the smaller venues is simply via the nature of the beast in Miami and I'm sure you know this. Just because bangin tribal, floor fillers, and miami thump or whatever you want to call it fills the big venues now, does not mean it will always be that way. Continue to pursue your passion with a common business sense for you and everyone involved and things will only grow bigger and better.

Please, brush off the pointless techno trash talk, there is no reason for it. Sure, I know its been a while for me, but the last few times I've spent in the main room at space its been solid techno, proof that it 'works' here in a larger capacity, it just may be coming from someone like Oscar or Howells or Behrouz or Nic some other 'House' branded DJ. It all works hand in hand, and I do think it is important to consider that, especially when working in Miami, you have to work one crowd without alienating the other. A challenge, yes, but to me thats what keeps things fresh.

Guest musicalmissionary

but the last few times I've spent in the main room at space its been solid techno, proof that it 'works' here in a larger capacity, it just may be coming from someone like Oscar or Howells or Behrouz or Nic some other 'House' branded DJ. It all works hand in hand, and I do think it is important to consider that, especially when working in Miami, you have to work one crowd without alienating the other. A challenge, yes, but to me thats what keeps things fresh.

You can bet Paolo Mojo will drop some proper techno Friday night ;)

front_web.jpg

Guest Major

Let me guess, you probably do something else during the day in order to earn the bulk of your income.

It's hard to be about the music when the music isn't paying the rent at the moment.

Most DJs and promoters I know outside of the very best have to make concessions to make ends meet if they want to keep doing what they do as a full time job. Promoters have to limit their guestlists, enforce guy/girl ratios, so on and so forth. DJs have to drop in a floor-filler or two and not be on some "educational" mission and risk clearing the dancefloor.

Sometimes I feel like anyone who says "it's all about the music" is a grown up raver.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not 'hating' on any specific style of music, but pretty much just stating how I see things these days.

There's a reason hip-hop promoters and nights pull in mad crowds, and that is because most of them have a good business head on them. I'm not suggesting bling and 30" rims in conjuction with house music, but at the same time, realize why a club will shut down a night.

Calling your potential audience ignorant doesn't help either. If a promoter or DJ is insulting me, you better believe I'm going somewhere else.

I disagree with most of this post...

for starters...the reason hip-hop nights are succesful is pretty simple....It is THE most popular form of music among (the majority of) the age-group that comprises "clubbers"....Hip-hop is and has been main-stream for some time now...It is popular top-40 music and played at every main-stream club in the US...It is on MTV and radio 24 hours a day...

The pool you are drawing from when you do a hip-hop night is MUCH bigger than when you do a dance music night....I dont think it has anything to do with good business heads...as a matter of fact, I think it takes a much better business man to be able to make a succesful night out of a genre of music that is NEVER on MTV or the radio...and purely exists in a sub-culture that seeks it out..(not to mention I think its much cooler!!!)

I also think a DJ throwing "floor-fillers" is not the one who is helping things...Its the ones pushing the envelope between the floor-fillers that help....Too many DJs stick to the popular tracks..

Yes, as a pro, you must cater to your audience and read the dancefloor...but the way I see it...what is important is the records you play between the floor-fillers....

what seperates the great DJs from the rest is how far they are able to spread out their floor-fillers and how far they can push the envelope in between them...that is how a dancefloor is educated...that is how a scene is created and nurtured...A DJ's goal should be to always get away with as much as they can without loosing the audience's interest..That is how a DJ creates their OWN style and their OWN sound and identity...That way they aren't lumped in with every other cat playing the same 25 songs every night...

I think more of this...and less of what you speak of.. would be much more helpful in the long run...

(ok Im done!! Ive fallen into a CJ binge....must break free!!! ;) )

Perfect example of a Dj pushing the envelope!!

Paolo Mojo friday 12th May SOBE LIVE

Guest coach

I've been saying this for awhile, that dance music will survive in the clubs if people would apply a business solution to what is essentially a business problem.

essentially its not a place were i can go cause i like the atmosphere, or go just to go on any regular weekend IMO

but i go for the Djs its the only place now, for years that has managed to get it right continuesly bringing DJs that i wanna see

Wait. If everytime you go, you have a good time, and they bring the DJs you like, why do you dislike it?

And seriously, Dan, when is the calendar coming?

Guest Cosmigonon

If you have a good time whenever you go, then why don't you like it? ???

Guest Miss_Digital

If you have a good time whenever you go, then why don't you like it? ???

its not a place i would go to if not for the music

example comparing it to shine i would go any week end cause i actually like the way the club was set up

lots of seating, indoor and out door bars, not too dark and smoky

i like the actual club its self

another example of a place i like is the pawnshop but i never go cause the never bring any good dj

decor of pawn shop + space bookings = place i like to go

NERVE was my favorite while it was open

Guest Miss_Digital

Another thing is i dont go to clubs regulary

i much rather go to a nice bar or place to chill on the week ends

places i like:

The room, segafredos, cafeteria, Delano (although its too expensive still my fav place), the rooftop, skybar but i havent been in ages

Guest addictedtospace

Correction POD, you have said it 197320735 Times but whos counting.

-eLio

Guest coach

When it's done.

My point being that lots of people bitch about Saleen's drama (not you, Pod, but a goodly number of the other posters in this, so far, five page thread), but what else is there? Once CJ gets a nice calendar system up (for those of you who have not seen the one on www.dallasdancemusic.com, I suggest you check it out), then what is going to be on the forums.

Check the current threads. A zillion promotion threads, last week was a bunch of Bling threads, and Saleen's drama. Not much else there. There are a few people who post personal "reviews" of their nights out, sometimes with some pics. Music talk gets moved to the music forum. Random banter often gets moved to the chat forum. If you take away all the freebie (or paid) promo threads, what's left?

At least with Saleen around, there's a little something fun to read. We need more people posting this drama. If he quit posting bullshit, there would pretty much just be all the promos that we've seen a dozen times before.

Sorry to pop your bubble Saleen, I know you try to be the tough guy, but I know what you are really doing. You are keeping the scene alive in your own way. You realize that if all the CJ Miami forums becomes is just advertising, then why bother reading?

So, whether you agree with him or not, realize that he performs a significant contribution here. He provides actual CONTENT. So, people come to flame him and they might actually check out one of the advertising threads while they are busy with the blow-torch.

So, everyone get out there and post some freaking drama!

When it's done.

My point being that lots of people bitch about Saleen's drama (not you, Pod, but a goodly number of the other posters in this, so far, five page thread), but what else is there? Once CJ gets a nice calendar system up (for those of you who have not seen the one on www.dallasdancemusic.com, I suggest you check it out), then what is going to be on the forums.

Check the current threads. A zillion promotion threads, last week was a bunch of Bling threads, and Saleen's drama. Not much else there. There are a few people who post personal "reviews" of their nights out, sometimes with some pics. Music talk gets moved to the music forum. Random banter often gets moved to the chat forum. If you take away all the freebie (or paid) promo threads, what's left?

At least with Saleen around, there's a little something fun to read. We need more people posting this drama. If he quit posting bullshit, there would pretty much just be all the promos that we've seen a dozen times before.

Sorry to pop your bubble Saleen, I know you try to be the tough guy, but I know what you are really doing. You are keeping the scene alive in your own way. You realize that if all the CJ Miami forums becomes is just advertising, then why bother reading?

So, whether you agree with him or not, realize that he performs a significant contribution here. He provides actual CONTENT. So, people come to flame him and they might actually check out one of the advertising threads while they are busy with the blow-torch.

If thats the case then:

They should let my brother back on the boards. ;D

well when im not having a breakdown :P i do post reviews and more pics than anyone on this board for the most part....

my reviews and interviews is my lasting legacy to the board ;D

even if my reviews are disliked by some..

btw lots of interviews soon when i get around to it ;D

next up chuck love ;D

Guest coach

If thats the case then:

Actually, I totally agree with that. I am still unclear as to how he managed to offend someone so badly that he got banned, but he was another that stirred the pot, and made it interesting. I think the main difference is that Saleen posts drama that is designed to promote certain places/ideas/dj's whereas your bro was actually against certain institutions and individuals.

When it's done.

If thats the case then:

i wouldnt mind seeing ur brother back BUT. i bet even if he was let back he would not come back just like Phil.

Guest Cosmigonon

If thats the case then:

Actually, I totally agree with that. I am still unclear as to how he managed to offend someone so badly that he got banned, but he was another that stirred the pot, and made it interesting. I think the main difference is that Saleen posts drama that is designed to promote certain places/ideas/dj's whereas your bro was actually against certain institutions and individuals.

exactly.

If thats the case then:

True but he always backed up or talked what he believed in.As for that Saleen posts drama is to promte certain places/ideals/djs and so on,what do you call the way he called out Parantula? ???

I mean its all good,Parantula did the right thing by ingnoring him and not only that they made jokes out of what he was saying.

I know that if my brother was the one to start a thread like that it would have gotten deleted with a quickness.