Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Two Washington Wizards players arrested on South Beach

V. Barbarino

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. - (AP) -- Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas and forward Awvee Storey were arrested on charges of disobeying police, part of the crackdown on disorderly behavior among those who have flocked to Miami Beach for Memorial Day weekend.

Storey had been blocking traffic in the middle of a busy street when an officer told him to get back to the sidewalk Saturday night, according to police reports. Storey did not get out of the street, and the officer arrested him and charged him with failure to obey a command.

While police were arresting Storey, Arenas got out of a vehicle and walked toward the arresting officers. According to reports, an officer told Arenas to get back in his vehicle, but he refused, saying he wanted to stand next to his teammate. The officer took Arenas into custody and charged him with resisting without violence.

As Arenas was being arrested, according to reports, he said, ``You can't arrest me. I'm a basketball player. I play for the Washington Wizards, and I'm not going to leave my teammate.''

Both players were then taken to jail for processing.

The Wizards released a statement saying, ``We are aware of the situation and, until we have more information, we will have no comment.''

A total of 557 people were arrested between Thursday morning and Saturday night on Miami Beach, where revelers flocked for a celebration of hip-hop music and culture known as Urban Beach Week. Most arrests were for disorderly conduct and intoxication. During the same three-day period last year, there were 333 arrests.

''We're definitely over from last year,'' Miami Beach police spokesman Bobby Hernandez said. ``We're working a lot more plainclothes officers, so you're obviously going to make more arrests.''

Hernandez said people are less likely to break the law when they see officers in uniform.

A total of 600 officers from local, state and federal agencies have been patrolling Miami Beach, Hernandez said.

In 2001, a massive yet unexpected crowd caught the city by surprise. Police struggled with crowd control, and unruly behavior was prevalent. After that, the city developed a major events plan to deal with the Memorial Day parties.

Guest swank

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. - (AP) -- Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas and forward Awvee Storey were arrested on charges of disobeying police, part of the crackdown on disorderly behavior among those who have flocked to Miami Beach for Memorial Day weekend.

Storey had been blocking traffic in the middle of a busy street when an officer told him to get back to the sidewalk Saturday night, according to police reports. Storey did not get out of the street, and the officer arrested him and charged him with failure to obey a command.

While police were arresting Storey, Arenas got out of a vehicle and walked toward the arresting officers. According to reports, an officer told Arenas to get back in his vehicle, but he refused, saying he wanted to stand next to his teammate. The officer took Arenas into custody and charged him with resisting without violence.

As Arenas was being arrested, according to reports, he said, ``You can't arrest me. I'm a basketball player. I play for the Washington Wizards, and I'm not going to leave my teammate.''

The Wizards released a statement saying, ``We are aware of the situation and, until we have more information, we will have no comment.''

A total of 557 people were arrested between Thursday morning and Saturday night on Miami Beach, where revelers flocked for a celebration of hip-hop music and culture known as Urban Beach Week. Most arrests were for disorderly conduct and intoxication. During the same three-day period last year, there were 333 arrests.

''We're definitely over from last year,'' Miami Beach police spokesman Bobby Hernandez said. ``We're working a lot more plainclothes officers, so you're obviously going to make more arrests.''

Hernandez said people are less likely to break the law when they see officers in uniform.

A total of 600 officers from local, state and federal agencies have been patrolling Miami Beach, Hernandez said.

In 2001, a massive yet unexpected crowd caught the city by surprise. Police struggled with crowd control, and unruly behavior was prevalent. After that, the city developed a major events plan to deal with the Memorial Day parties.

I've seen the way some of these officers ask people to move,(while standing around with 30 other officers packing there guns and uniforms) usually not the most polite people...

I wonder how many of these ridiculous arrests were 'resisting without violence'

Anyway,the truth always comes out and the documentary or book will be out soon. ;D

I've seen the way some of these officers ask people to move,(while standing around with 30 other officers packing there guns and uniforms) usually not the most polite people...

Anyway,the truth always comes out and the documentary or book will be out soon. ;D

I blame

Whitey

The Man

The cops

The media aka Mike Wallace

And Bill Cosby..

There is no way in hell these two guys committed a crime.. I smell conspiracy!!!!! Of course cops packing guns is another rediculous notion.. I say the cops are only allowed to carry mace, or like in south park, all their guns are digitaly replaced with walkie talkies..

Guest pod

Anytime a cop sneezes in the wrong direction it is considered police brutality. Fucking liberal pantywaist bullshit.

We handicap our police with shit like this, then bitch about the crime statistics.

Guest swank

I blame

Whitey

The Man

The cops

The media aka Mike Wallace

And Bill Cosby..

There is no way in hell these two guys committed a crime.. I smell conspiracy!!!!! Of course cops packing guns is another rediculous notion.. I say the cops are only allowed to carry mace, or like in south park, all their guns are digitaly replaced with walkie talkies..

Nick first and foremost...please, if you want anyone to give your thoughts any attention...throw your shit into a 'spell check' if you can't spell...no embarrassement there...

The other thing is that it is easier to sit behind your keyboard and criticize a culture rather than pick up your cogliones and stand on the corner of 'Washington & 16th' to tell some of these 'monsters' you seem to be so scared of...what it is that you really think of them.

hell the only way to really make change in this world is to effectively get down in the trenches and confront your fears.

I never said that the ball players never committed a 'CRIME'...the newspaper article did. I mean c'mon my nigga! I bet if 'Steve Nash' held up his hand and stopped traffic there wouldn't be any handcuffs involved.

I also never said that law enforcement shouldn't carry fire arms...I said that their demeanor is a lot different when they are wearing their trusty penis extension. They also act a little different when they are 30 officers vs. when they are like 3 officers.

Please keep your 'whitey' comments for some other...I am married to a 'whitey'. You once mentioned that you have a 'black' person in your family....well that's cool and all but you didn't make that choice so I'm not impressed.

Saleen the worst thing that you could do...is not admit to yourself the true nature of your character...in fact that would be cowardly.

Are you a coward?

Guest pod

They need their trusty penis extension since the animals infesting the beach this weekend have their trusty penis extension.

In an armed society, an unarmed person has the most to be afraid of.

I was a bouncer in a club whereas it was policy that no blacks got in.. (Every bar and club in town was the same way) Only a select few were allowed in, because the non black students would over run the clubs and business would die, so if you were black, you were told you needed a membership, which under state law was correct, we just happened to use our school's ID as our memeberships, so they weren't allowed in, then some rookie would work the door and the blacks who were not students sneak in, then I had to tell them 3 times a night how scared I was of them, after I beat the piss out of them and tossed thier asses out.. Black guys fight like pussys.. (Jar heads fight like men, but that's a different topic) I confronted my "fears" 3 times a week, 3 times a night, after a gun got pulled on me at the door and 3 of my friends got stabbed, I quit and went to work as a bus boy until I graduated.. Hog that also posts on here, bounced across the street, whereas no blacks got in, it was ultra redneck... We atleast let the staff from next door in which was a Jamaican joint, whereas the blacks weren't "niggas"... They were students. I've busted my hands up beating the hell out of the hip hop element, I've done my part, it's time others step up and toss them beat downs...

I'm not scared of anyone, however I"m smart enough to know, if I"m in a Urban beach enviroment, I'm more likely to be a target of violence.. Simple stats..

As for my spelling, I type 120 wpm, I don't proof read.

Guest swank

I was a bouncer in a club whereas it was policy that no blacks got in.. (Every bar and club in town was the same way) Only a select few were allowed in, because the non black students would over run the clubs and business would die, so if you were black, you were told you needed a membership, which under state law was correct, we just happened to use our school's ID as our memeberships, so they weren't allowed in, then some rookie would work the door and the blacks who were not students sneak in, then I had to tell them 3 times a night how scared I was of them, after I beat the piss out of them and tossed thier asses out.. Black guys fight like pussys.. (Jar heads fight like men, but that's a different topic) I confronted my "fears" 3 times a week, 3 times a night, after a gun got pulled on me at the door and 3 of my friends got stabbed, I quit and went to work as a bus boy until I graduated.. Hog that also posts on here, bounced across the street, whereas no blacks got in, it was ultra redneck... We atleast let the staff from next door in which was a Jamaican joint, whereas the blacks weren't "niggas"... They were students. I've busted my hands up beating the hell out of the hip hop element, I've done my part, it's time others step up and toss them beat downs...

I'm not scared of anyone, however I"m smart enough to know, if I"m in a Urban beach enviroment, I'm more likely to be a target of violence.. Simple stats..

As for my spelling, I type 120 wpm, I don't proof read.

::) Again...

3 bouncers ganging up on the one drunk guy in your predominantly white redneck bar 3 times a week-3 times a night doesn't count. And if it was true that you were giving those kinda beatdowns....I can guarantee that you wouldn't be here typing about it today...needless to say @120wpm.

P.S. I'm hiring the guy/gal who types 60 wpm that is legible.

P.P.S. please let me know what bar it was that you worked at, I hate lines. :P

Guest swank

For those reading this thread...what I'm trying to say is that we (as a society) need to practice a little more tolerance towards the people we share this planet with. Because we do not understand one's culture or language does not make us superior or vice versa. I truly believe that the sooner this world is educated towards the differences of others and the sooner ignorance is no longer accepted as an excuse to hate...we will be in a much better place.

My $0.02 :)

Guest jsk

For those reading this thread...what I'm trying to say is that we (as a society) need to practice a little more tolerance towards the people we share this planet with. Because we do not understand one's culture or language does not make us superior or vice versa. I truly believe that the sooner this world is educated towards the differences of others and the sooner ignorance is no longer accepted as an excuse to hate...we will be in a much better place.

Okay, and how about when people come to a place already world famous for its civility and tolerance -- say, South Beach -- they don't act like intolerant thugs and get arrested at a rate 1,000% higher than a normal weekend?

No disrespect to You as I can't speak for everyone on this board, but the bottom line here is that there's a difference between an educated black man vs. a thug. That's clearly what We are debating. I've mentioned on some of the previous posts that I infact listen to hip hop...shit one of My bestfriends is black...but the difference is that he's not a "nigga or a thug".

Personally I rather listen to R&B anyday over dirty-south hip hop.

Guest swank

No disrespect to You as I can't speak for everyone on this board, but the bottom line here is that there's a difference between an educated black man vs. a thug. That's clearly what We are debating. I've mentioned on some of the previous posts that I infact listen to hip hop...shit one of My bestfriends is black...but the difference is that he's not a "nigga or a thug".

Personally I rather listen to R&B anyday over dirty-south hip hop.

those are not tears streaming down my cheeks...I'm chopping onions...LOL ;D

Diogo! this is the first time in 2 years that you have responded (word for word) exactly what I've been trying to say ever since I joined this board. And you had me believing that you didn't get it...

Thank you! Patron on me the next time we see each other!

~Paz~

Guest Mattivi

Nick first and foremost...please, if you want anyone to give your thoughts any attention...throw your shit into a 'spell check' if you can't spell...no embarrassement there...

The other thing is that it is easier to sit behind your keyboard and criticize a culture rather than pick up your cogliones and stand on the corner of 'Washington & 16th' to tell some of these 'monsters' you seem to be so scared of...what it is that you really think of them.

hell the only way to really make change in this world is to effectively get down in the trenches and confront your fears.

I never said that the ball players never committed a 'CRIME'...the newspaper article did. I mean c'mon my nigga! I bet if 'Steve Nash' held up his hand and stopped traffic there wouldn't be any handcuffs involved.

I also never said that law enforcement shouldn't carry fire arms...I said that their demeanor is a lot different when they are wearing their trusty penis extension. They also act a little different when they are 30 officers vs. when they are like 3 officers.

Please keep your 'whitey' comments for some other...I am married to a 'whitey'. You once mentioned that you have a 'black' person in your family....well that's cool and all but you didn't make that choice so I'm not impressed.

Saleen the worst thing that you could do...is not admit to yourself the true nature of your character...in fact that would be cowardly.

Are you a coward?

your points is negated on steve nash for one very good reason, steve nash wouldn't be in the middle of the street blocking traffic in the first place. now replace steve nash with paul wall or eminem and the arrest would have been made, because they might have reacted the same way arenas and his boy had. i believe it is the ego driven-flippant attitudes that these officers despise not the color of their skin.

ive also seen you make the point countless times before that people who make comments on messages boards dont have the balls to say what they feel to "thugs" in person. they are hiding behind a keyboard, yada yada. hmmm i wonder why that might be. maybe because if they did they MIGHT be victim of some form of violence. im not saying that all "thugs" cant engage in a civilzed debate, but they arent "thugs" for no reason. and im sure "keeping it real" would be applying a " propa beat down" to some A&F wearing, college educated, suburbanite whitey with a sharp tongue who doesnt agree with the culture or lifestyle, and the degradation of values precipated by it.

my last contention is why should be so tolerent of a culture that begets so much negativity? why should we as a collective society be tolerent of morons rapping about clockin dimes, pimping hoe's, and cap peeling as some viable, hip lifestyle? dont get me wrong there is some good hip hop artists out there with a positive message, ie watch chappelle's block party, but overall it is overrun by losers. and yes, until then, i do think im am better than that class of people. because they contribute nothing substantive to society or thier culture.

Guest swank

Are you a coward?

your points is negated on steve nash for one very good reason, steve nash wouldn't be in the middle of the street blocking traffic in the first place. now replace steve nash with paul wall or eminem and the arrest would have been made, because they might have reacted the same way arenas and his boy had. i believe it is the ego driven-flippant attitudes that these officers despise not the color of their skin.

ive also seen you make the point countless times before that people who make comments on messages boards dont have the balls to say what they feel to "thugs" in person. they are hiding behind a keyboard, yada yada. hmmm i wonder why that might be. maybe because if they did they MIGHT be victim of some form of violence. im not saying that all "thugs" cant engage in a civilzed debate, but they arent "thugs" for no reason. and im sure "keeping it real" would be applying a " propa beat down" to some A&F wearing, college educated, suburbanite whitey with a sharp tongue who doesnt agree with the culture or lifestyle, and the degradation of values precipated by it.

my last contention is why should be so tolerent of a culture that begets so much negativity? why should we as a collective society be tolerent of morons rapping about clockin dimes, pimping hoe's, and cap peeling as some viable, hip lifestyle? dont get me wrong there is some good hip hop artists out there with a positive message, ie watch chappelle's block party, but overall it is overrun by losers. and yes, until then, i do think im am better than that class of people. because they contribute nothing substantive to society or thier culture.

The point that I'm trying to make by telling people to get out from behind their keyboards is to start making effective change. Complaining on this board will not bring about the change that these people so badly desire. I try to do my part by staying involved with different organisations and people who want to better themselves.

I do NOT support or agree with thug mentality but at the same time understand that alot of people are being branded by the clothes they wear...the music they listen to...and the way they might wear their hair. This is what I'm trying to 'preach' if you want to call it that. Tolerance and understanding is what the whole world lacks...not just this board. In every walk of life...it exists this competition for superiority...this is what will crush us all in the end.

Guest coach

It's interesting. Generally, I do not get along well with police. You'll note the hair, and where I came from originally, this branded me as a druggie, at the very least, and I took a lot of police harassment over the years. However, I have found the Miami Beach police to be some of the nicest, least belligerant, least bigotted officers I have ever run into. Not to say that they are not any of those things ever, just that they exhibit less of that negative behavior. Now, it may be that the officers in question were not from M.B., but rather one of the other cities.

But, here's my big question, if "the man" asks you to get back on the sidewalk, why don't you GET THE FUCK BACK ON THE SIDEWALK?!??!?!? I hate to be rude, but really. I mean, the officers did not arrest him until he failed to comply with a reasonable request. Whether said request was made in a beligerant manner isn't actually relevant. He was indeed breaking the law and annoying numerous other citizens and, when asked to desist, he did not. They could have just cited him without any warning.

Guest pod

Like I said in another post, some people think if a cop looks at you funny, it is harassment or police brutality. Brutality is if the cop cracks you over the skull with a nightstick for jaywalking.

Guest coach

Like I said in another post, some people think if a cop looks at you funny, it is harassment or police brutality.

This is actually my definition. Though, I used to take a lot more harassment than just funny looks. Since I've moved here, I have never been bothered.

Guest pod

The cops here have bigger fish to fry than guys with long hair and weirdos wandering around with big Canon DSLRs. ;D

Guest jsk

Are you a coward?

The point that I'm trying to make by telling people to get out from behind their keyboards is to start making effective change. Complaining on this board will not bring about the change that these people so badly desire. I try to do my part by staying involved with different organisations and people who want to better themselves.

I do NOT support or agree with thug mentality but at the same time understand that alot of people are being branded by the clothes they wear...the music they listen to...and the way they might wear their hair. This is what I'm trying to 'preach' if you want to call it that. Tolerance and understanding is what the whole world lacks...not just this board. In every walk of life...it exists this competition for superiority...this is what will crush us all in the end.

How come all of the tolerance you seem to demand is such a one-way street? Almost 600 people got arrested -- including at least 44 for illegally carrying a firearm -- and somehow THEY'RE the victims, not the law-abiding people whose weekend was disrupted. How does that make sense to you?

Guest pod

And it's little wonder he got arrested. If I was a cop and someone said that to me, I'd bust them on principle.

"You can't arrest me I'm a basketball player". So being a basketball player automatically makes you immune to being arrested for disordely behavior...Please' date=' what do you think you are? A god? Gimme a break.

[/quote']

we all remember this fucking moron...what a class act

oh wait i must stop i will be called a hater...

fucking moron