Clubplanet Nightlife Community

A non-soccer fan's point of view...

Guest slamminshaun

Guest slamminshaun

Ok, so I grew up on American sports like football, baseball, basketball, and spin the bottle...but I'm trying to give soccer a chance. But here's the way it looks to me each time I watch a game. First, it's a low-scoring game, making it boring as all hell. Second, where did they find all these pussies to play? I mean, somebody trips on their own shoelaces and they act like they just broke both legs over it, and then they get taken off field by a stretcher. Third, it seems like the whole game revolves around red cards, yellow cards, referrees getting reviewed, players faking that their hurt, and FIFA rules. In between all of that crap I guess there's actually a sport being played, but I don't see it in between all the hoopla. What am I missing?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ddg

slamminator..did you play soccer when you were younger....the reason soccer is so popular everywhere in the world, its because its not a sport that requires lots of money to play..you c people playing soccer in the slums in south america and all over the world bc all you need is some peeps, a makeshift field and goals and any kind of ball...you dont c the poor playing tennis, golf, etc....yes, it is a low scoring game, more about skill and strategy.....and yes, sometimes players fake falls, but shit kid, if you got tackled like some of them or got elbowed straight to the face, youd be in pain too....let me slide into your ankle at full speed with cleats on and c if your in pain...its hard to explain to an american who doesnt understand it...

SS,dead on right, i'm not a fan of the sport at all, but I did play at the highest levels of traveling teams for the better part of ten years...

I see very little in terms of talent out there when compared to football, golf, baseball, basketball and hockey... The whole acting hurt thing is so gay, so lame and the ties and 1 zip games and the no shots on goal and bla bla bla...

The world may like soccer, but here in the US it will never catch on, EVER!

Now, what the fuck was the Mick doing hitting his tee shot off the corp tent to loose the Open???

Guest web_norah

slamminator..did you play soccer when you were younger....the reason soccer is so popular everywhere in the world, its because its not a sport that requires lots of money to play..you c people playing soccer in the slums in south america and all over the world bc all you need is some peeps, a makeshift field and goals and any kind of ball...you dont c the poor playing tennis, golf, etc....yes, it is a low scoring game, more about skill and strategy.....and yes, sometimes players fake falls, but shit kid, if you got tackled like some of them or got elbowed straight to the face, youd be in pain too....let me slide into your ankle at full speed with cleats on and c if your in pain...its hard to explain to an american who doesnt understand it...

awesome reply.

ignorance is bliss sometimes.

Guest swirlundergrounder

You know I played soccer on a team when I was a kid. But I found it harder to watch as an adult.

To tell you the truth, this is the first year that I watched a full match of the World Cup and I've grown to like it somewhat.

I think that my love of baseball has helped me understand and be more paitent with soccer. True Soccer is a low scoring game but there is also a lot of tension invovled in it. And I'm a sports fan that appreciates tension.

In baseball when something happens it's usually reall y a crazy event and these events are never the same. You can also say the same for soccer. That's my prespective of it..

Plus like someone said above all you need to play soccer is a ball. You can even play soccer with a basketball, volleyball or even a beach ball...Prop up some garbage cans for a goal and you're good to go..

Ok' date=' so I grew up on American sports like football, baseball, basketball, and spin the bottle...but I'm trying to give soccer a chance. But here's the way it looks to me each time I watch a game. First, it's a low-scoring game, making it boring as all hell. Second, where did they find all these pussies to play? I mean, somebody trips on their own shoelaces and they act like they just broke both legs over it, and then they get taken off field by a stretcher. Third, it seems like the whole game revolves around red cards, yellow cards, referrees getting reviewed, players faking that their hurt, and FIFA rules. In between all of that crap I guess there's actually a sport being played, but I don't see it in between all the hoopla. What am I missing?

[/quote']

Personally, I find soccer to be is pure action for 90 minutes straight. You have to understand the game and its intricacies to really appreciate it. Saleen, you were either a bench warmer or you have no dribbling skills whatsoever. If you did, you would understand what kind or rush it is to challenge somebody one on one while sprinting at full speed and following the strategy implemented by the coach. It's not only about the goals, but all the action, technique and strategy involved leading to the goal. How one team's defense deals with the other's offense. Every continent in general has a different style of play. South American soccer tends to be all about fancy footwork (I.e Brazil, Argentina) and European teams tend to be very structured and technical( Germany, Netherlands). Seeing different styles clash is what makes the World cup so exciting. As far as the scoring goes, the only reason it's a low scoring game is because each goal counts for one point and in Football (handball), each touchdown counts for 7, duh!!! Which means a soccer game which ends with a score of 4-2 is equivalent to a football game that ended 28-14. not rocket science. For those who are mathematically challenged I just multiplied the goals by 7.

I was good, real good, but played mostly defense, but I understand the game very well and it's truely borning to watch.. The players are mere amatures compared to the likes of Wade or TO... As for different styles who cares if all the styles are boring???

It's like watching paint dry. Every world cup, the soccer geeks come out of hiding to pronouce it as a great game and every world cup, the vast majority of people in the US don't even tune it. The soccer geeks want to feel special like they are part of some special minority when in reality, they all rather be watching the fish vs the jets...

Guest Cosmigonon

First' date=' it's a low-scoring game, making it boring as all hell. [/quote']

True Soccer is a low scoring game but there is also a lot of tension invovled in it. And I'm a sports fan that appreciates tension.

thank you. I've had this discussion before, like eliminating the off- side rule, it would increase the scoring, but then that would make scoring a goal less dramatic. That's why it is such an orgasm when your team scores a goal, because it is just so damn hard to do it!!! Otherwise, it would just turn into basketball, and that would be very boring.

Second, where did they find all these pussies to play? I mean, somebody trips on their own shoelaces and they act like they just broke both legs over it, and then they get taken off field by a stretcher.

The players suffering a lot over any foul? That's part of the game, every game has its idiosyncrasies. Like in baseball, when the referee makes a call, ant eh manager doesn't like it and goes up to him and starts yelling at him and stuff?? What for? Is the referre gonna get scared and reverse his call? No, but that's just the way it's always been and it will always be like that.

Third, it seems like the whole game revolves around red cards, yellow cards, referrees getting reviewed, players faking that their hurt, and FIFA rules.

Every sport has rules. If you don't understand, it just won't make any sense. To a lot of non-americans, NFL footbal doesn't make any sense, a lot of weird calls, the stop-and-go action, time-outs, flags thrown on the ground, like 651384651 referees, see where I'm getting?

In between all of that crap I guess there's actually a sport being played, but I don't see it in between all the hoopla. What am I missing?

You just have to open your mind. If the low scoring turns you off, it is probably an american thing. the rest of the world has never had a problem with that, but americans do. So I guess Saleen is right, soccer will probably never catch on in the US, which is fine. You can keep your sports, we'll keep soccer... ;)

Guest Cosmigonon

For the love of God please call it FOOTBALL, and i think we all know that American Football is a direct descendant of Rugby.

yeah, that too... :)

For the love of God please call it FOOTBALL, and i think we all know that American Football is a direct descendant of Rugby.

www.cs.utexas.edu/~pstone/why.html

+1

Guys if you don't like the sport don't watch it. Plain and simple.

And American football should be called "tackle" or "handball". The only time they use their feet is for a punt or field goal. Soccer is played with feet all the time. So which one do you really think deserves the name "football"?

Soccer is "The Real Football"

Guest r3nz0

You cannot explain soccer. Or football, whatever you wish to call it. I just call it amazing. You cannot explain its appeal. Soccer is in your blood. Soccer is part of your culture. Soccer is part of your being. It is either a part of you from the moment you leave your mother's womb or it's not. It is not a sport. It is so much more. It transcends culture differences and language barriers. Because raw emotion is universal. It stops wars. I'm not kidding, either. Look it up. As far as referees go, refs are an integral part of every sport. That's just the way it is.

The Super Bowl, the World Series, and the NBA Finals are all great. You're representing a city or even a state with many thousands of people cheering you on. But let's compare this to the World Cup. If you are one of the very, very lucky 23 players selected for your national team, you are playing for your ENTIRE country. Soccer is the reason why families save up for years to fly across the globe and watch their home country play. You have millions and millions of people counting on you to bring them universal glory. As a player, your sweat is these millions and millions of people's pride, and you leave your heart and soul out on that field every single game. There is no seven-game series here. When you smile, they smile. When you hurt, they hurt. I mean, how much bigger can it possibly get?

Guest sross

Ok' date=' so I grew up on American sports like football, baseball, basketball, and spin the bottle...but I'm trying to give soccer a chance. But here's the way it looks to me each time I watch a game. First, it's a low-scoring game, making it boring as all hell. Second, where did they find all these pussies to play? I mean, somebody trips on their own shoelaces and they act like they just broke both legs over it, and then they get taken off field by a stretcher. Third, it seems like the whole game revolves around red cards, yellow cards, referrees getting reviewed, players faking that their hurt, and FIFA rules. In between all of that crap I guess there's actually a sport being played, but I don't see it in between all the hoopla. What am I missing?

[/quote']

As has been said before, the point about football is that goal is actually worth something. Games are regularly drawn (sorry, 'tied') at 0-0 so when your team does score a goal, it actually means something, hence all the wild celebrations from players, fans and coaching staff. Basketball on the other hand...oh look another basket - 1 of 150 I'm going to see in this game ::) It just doesn't even begin to compare.

Play acting by players such as diving to win freekicks or penalties and over-officious refereeing is a problem (particularly the latter in this World Cup - you can blame FIFA) but football remains the only true global sport and the World Cup remains the biggest sporting event in the world. Enjoy it :)

Guest slamminshaun

I'm not knockin' the game, but if soccer wants more fans, I suggest the players quit acting like pussies on the field and man up. My wife says that's just part of the game...I'm sure it does hurt when someone's cleats spike you, but that's not what I'm talking about here....many of these guys put on a huge act and all they did was trip over someones feet and fall into soft grass. To me, pretending you're hurt is the equivalent of cheating, and if this is encouraged, I'd rather not watch a game where the winner basically won because he got more sympathy from the referees then the loser. You don't have to like my point-of-view, but I'm hoping the soccer fans here can better understand why non-fans don't watch.

Guest saintjohn

Another reason why most Americans don't get it:

Soccer's rule-making organization issued a directive in February saying any player who removed a shirt to celebrate a goal will get a yellow card. That also applied to a player who bared his chest by pulling the shirt over his head. FIFA contended that practice was offensive in some countries.

"We, FIFA, have to absolutely clarify the definition of the word 'remove,' which is what is now in the laws of the game," FIFA vice president David Will said.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/athens/soccer/2004-09-12-womens-draw_x.htm

802_887_Haupt.jpg

versus

phf-aact040.jpg

Guest bcnjunkie

american football is so much slower. Every two minutes the whole games comes to a halt. In American football how is the score kept ? If each touch down was one point then it would be a low scoring game also.

About the pain in soccer ..... let me run full speed and jump on you ankles and see how macho you really are ....

American football has the most safety equipment gear on their bodies..... who is the pussy ?

Guest slamminshaun

american football is so much slower. Every two minutes the whole games comes to a halt. In American football how is the score kept ? If each touch down was one point then it would be a low scoring game also.

About the pain in soccer ..... let me run full speed and jump on you ankles and see how macho you really are ....

American football has the most safety equipment gear on their bodies..... who is the pussy ?

I don't know how I can be anymore clear...perhaps the caps lock will help. I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT PLAYERS WHO GET SPIKED, OR ANKLES KICKED, ETC. AND AM NOT SAYING NOBODY GETS HURT OUT THERE. I am talking about the dozens of instances where players blatantly exaggerated their injuries to gain sympathy from the referee. There were dozens of instances where a player tripped over his own feet and grimaced as if he had just broken both of his legs and the ref actually yellow carded the other team.

Guest ramon

ive quite enjoyed the world cup. its really exciting to see the energy these people give out there. for 90 minutes you have your country's hopes and dreams on your shoulder and all you have to do is make a goal. if that's that not enough to keep you watching i don't know what is.

one last thing .. the coverage on ABC sucks .. its so much better to watch it on Univision. ;)

Guest Cosmigonon

Another reason why most Americans don't get it:

Soccer's rule-making organization issued a directive in February saying any player who removed a shirt to celebrate a goal will get a yellow card. That also applied to a player who bared his chest by pulling the shirt over his head. FIFA contended that practice was offensive in some countries.

"We, FIFA, have to absolutely clarify the definition of the word 'remove,' which is what is now in the laws of the game," FIFA vice president David Will said.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/athens/soccer/2004-09-12-womens-draw_x.htm

802_887_Haupt.jpg

versus

phf-aact040.jpg

And the reason is... ?? ???

Guest swirlundergrounder

I don't know how I can be anymore clear...perhaps the caps lock will help. I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT PLAYERS WHO GET SPIKED' date=' OR ANKLES KICKED, ETC. AND AM NOT SAYING NOBODY GETS HURT OUT THERE. I am talking about the dozens of instances where players blatantly exaggerated their injuries to gain sympathy from the referee. There were dozens of instances where a player tripped over his own feet and grimaced as if he had just broken both of his legs and the ref actually yellow carded the other team.

[/quote']That happens in all sports. Especially in Basketball when someone pretends to take a charge...