Clubplanet Nightlife Community

A non-soccer fan's point of view...

Guest slamminshaun

Ok' date=' so I grew up on American sports like football, baseball, basketball, and spin the bottle...but I'm trying to give soccer a chance. But here's the way it looks to me each time I watch a game. First, it's a low-scoring game, making it boring as all hell. Second, where did they find all these pussies to play? I mean, somebody trips on their own shoelaces and they act like they just broke both legs over it, and then they get taken off field by a stretcher. Third, it seems like the whole game revolves around red cards, yellow cards, referrees getting reviewed, players faking that their hurt, and FIFA rules. In between all of that crap I guess there's actually a sport being played, but I don't see it in between all the hoopla. What am I missing?

[/quote']

Don't bother, football/soccer has enough fans (more then any other sport), stadiums in Germany are full each game and it's only first round, millions and millions of people are watching games on tv, who cares about you US dicks and if it's not sooooo popular here in US, it's popular enough that they are broadcasting each game live and will do so in 2010 and 2014. Keep watching baseball with your American fellows, that is not boring at all?!?!

P.S Just check how many people around the world are going to watch World Cup Final this year and compare it to how many people watched Superbowl, NBA finals, Major League Series and that should tell you something.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest djcarlosf

I was good, real good, but played mostly defense

Big_Green.jpg

hahahaha...

that same image came to mind...

but dont knock the saleen, remember... hes been to the moon, has beaten mike tyson and could have been a world class dj at some point...

i know where slammin shaun is coming from... most of what you see of 'faking it' comes from the argentines, spaniards and the italians. it does slow the game down and gives it a bad name, but what can you do...

'soccer' will always be the most popular sport in the world, no matter what people think about it in the US...

Guest pod

The sport's popularity comes from it's simplicity and economy. I played ice hockey when I was a kid, and just to get on the ice to play, you're dishing out quite a lot of money. Same for NFL-style football.

Basketball and soccer are insanely popular the world over since for about ten bucks you can have a game, plus you can teach it in about 15 minutes. Sure, that's glossing over some of the finer details, but kids on the street looking for some fun aren't gonna be overly concerned about red cards and offside rules. Goal here, goal down the alley, game on.

In terms of it being media-accessible, that's also easier in other countries due to state media being more prevalent. The network doesn't lose money by going for 90 minutes sans commercials. Here in the US, that's unthinkable, a network would lose out big time if they couldn't show commercials.

Also, here in the US, the sport is generally scheduled at the school level at the same time as NFL-style football, forcing kids who would want to do it to make a decision on which sport to go with.

Guest sross

but I'm hoping the soccer fans here can better understand why non-fans don't watch.

We understand, we just don't care ;D

Its hard to get a non futbol fan to like this sport or to even understand it.

SS to explain what you want to know why players sometimes act like they have been shot and roll around like crazy is for the reason they are trying to get the other player who committed the foul to get booked with a yellow card or if possible a red and leave their team with a disadvantage of a player less on the opposing team.It works at times and at times it doesn't.If the ref thinks the player who supposively got fouled made a dive and is trying to get the foul called the player making the dive can also be awared a yellow card and if he already has a yellow card then he will be awarded another yellow leading to red card and sent off the field.More like a double Technical in basketball.

Futbol blew up when the World Cup was held here in 1994.And now it has a league thats been around for like what? 15 years now.I don't follow the MLS cause I don't care for it nor I care for other leagues that much.I only follow one team and I am fan of only one team well club team and my national team.

In Argentina or in any country in south america or in any other country not being the U.S. its not only the sport of futbol that we like,the people there live it since they are born.Its a life style,the fans make this sport go beyond just the sport itself.

heres an example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hgynLPZ5pE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WUL9faZ5dE

:)

Guest Mattivi

ive never been a huge fan of soccer. but the world cup is immensely enjoyable. i have alot of brasilian friends and watched game sunday with them. to me that team was really fun to watch, it wasnt a high scoring game, but when the team did score it was like joy bomb went off in that place, people just erupted in jubilation. hell, i felt the rush too.

and i disagree with the comments that soccer athletes are nothing compared to nfl or nba athletes. that ronaljinho from brasil is brilliant. the footwork, ballhandling, and vision of that man is so fun to watch. and anyone who has seen his commercial knows what i am talking about, pure wizardry. but if you dont like soccer, watch brasil one time and you will enjoy it.

Guest xmuzik

Dude you need to get together with a couple of soccer fans and play a couple hours of FIFA while drinking and smoking out , you'll be able to understand and enjoy the game for life after that.

Ok, so I grew up on American sports like football, baseball, basketball, and spin the bottle...but I'm trying to give soccer a chance. But here's the way it looks to me each time I watch a game. First, it's a low-scoring game, making it boring as all hell. Second, where did they find all these pussies to play? I mean, somebody trips on their own shoelaces and they act like they just broke both legs over it, and then they get taken off field by a stretcher. Third, it seems like the whole game revolves around red cards, yellow cards, referrees getting reviewed, players faking that their hurt, and FIFA rules. In between all of that crap I guess there's actually a sport being played, but I don't see it in between all the hoopla. What am I missing?

i know where slammin shaun is coming from... most of what you see of 'faking it' comes from the argentines

And you keep on...lol jueputa de mierda.

too bad he hasn't got the chance to see Colombia play or else he will really hate the sport. :)

Guest slamminshaun

SS to explain what you want to know why players sometimes act like they have been shot and roll around like crazy is for the reason they are trying to get the other player who committed the foul to get booked with a yellow card or if possible a red and leave their team with a disadvantage of a player less on the opposing team.It works at times and at times it doesn't.If the ref thinks the player who supposively got fouled made a dive and is trying to get the foul called the player making the dive can also be awared a yellow card and if he already has a yellow card then he will be awarded another yellow leading to red card and sent off the field.More like a double Technical in basketball.

Yeah, I know why they do it, I guess what I was getting at was why do people find this as acceptable play? Granted, players in all sports try to fool the referee, but to watch a bunch of grown men roll around crying like babies and pointing fingers at opposing players when an instant replay shows they tripped over their own two feet makes me question the game. It just seems to happen ALOT in soccer, and the refs don't seem to understand that 80% of the time they're faking it. It's almost as if the referees know they're faking it, but if they fake it good enough they'll go ahead and yellow card the other team for putting on a good act.

Guest teabag

low scoring...just multiply each goal times six......the fact that every country in the world embraces this sport as part of culture and consider it the "beautiful game" doesn't make you wonder if maybe you have to look within your own tastes to find out why you are the exception...... If the United States had a football team they were all cheering it would make a more united country.......it stops wars and fills other nations with pride just to be on the world cup......Imagine cheering the Miami heat in every town and city of America...would that be a cool site to see a nice thing to experience that's one of the reasons people follow it with passion is a coming together party behind your national talent on a world stage where at the beginning everyone has the same chance to compete....in many countries of the world work schedules are set around the world cup otherwise nobody would work..that's just the way the beautiful game works....Americans do not understand it because nothing you have comes even close to experiencing a national following of such a magnitude....maybe in time maybe not...it is the fastest growing sports among children surpassing football, baseball and all other sports....even if doesn't quite make it like it is outside our borders, there will be more appreciation of the game in the future whe all these children grow up.

WC_trophy_.gif

Guest pod

it is the fastest growing sports among children surpassing football, baseball and all other sports....even if doesn't quite make it like it is outside our borders, there will be more appreciation of the game in the future whe all these children grow up.

I've heard that for the past 10 or 15 years now. Those kids have grown up, and I'll be damned if the sport is any more popular now than it was then.

For the kids, it's always been something easy for them to get into cause of the whole cost and simplicity thing. Parents love it cause they can ditch little Tyler or Dakota at the local YMCA pitch and have a few hours of peace for the cost of the league fee and maybe 50 bucks in clothes and pads. They do it maybe up until the high-school years, then they either switch to another sport, start doing drugs, killing each other, or whatever degenerate kids do these days. Maybe .0001 percent go on to whatever pro options there are in the US.

Only downside is the proverbial "soccer mom". Though a friend of mine swears by picking them up.

The World Cup generates a lot of fair-weather fans here in the US. They want to seem "cosmopolitan" and "worldly", so when it's World Cup time, they figure out where their great-great-great grandparents came from, and support that team. I'm not a sports person in general, but if anything, me supporting the Colombian team would be a lot more legit than some of these fans claim to fame.

Miami excepted of course. Someone's wearing the colors, chances are they are from there.

I really don't see it picking up in the States anytime soon beyond the kid level. I personally think it's a fun sport from both the playing end and the fan end, but I'm just being realistic.

Guest Cosmigonon

Yeah' date=' I know why they do it, I guess what I was getting at was why do people find this as acceptable play? Granted, players in all sports try to fool the referee, but to watch a bunch of grown men roll around crying like babies and pointing fingers at opposing players when an instant replay shows they tripped over their own two feet makes me question the game. It just seems to happen ALOT in soccer, and the refs don't seem to understand that 80% of the time they're faking it. It's almost as if the referees know they're faking it, but if they fake it good enough they'll go ahead and yellow card the other team for putting on a good act.

[/quote']

If you take a close look, referees only concede fouls half of the times a player falls into the ground. The referee has only a fraction of a second to see wether it was a foul, or the player fell by hmiself or if he's faking it. You may see it in the instant replay, but the referee doesn't.

Most of the times the foul exists, what the player is faking is the pain, and he is free to do so; is not all the time that the referee fooled into giving the opposong player a yellow/red card.

Now, if the referee clearly sees that there was no contact, and the player is faking the foul, he will most likely give HIM a yellow card. But as I said, if the foul exists, you are free to scream all you want, the referee won't interfere in your crying, cause he has no posible way to know wether the pain you're feeling is real or not.

Guest slamminshaun

Americans do not understand it because nothing you have comes even close to experiencing a national following of such a magnitude...

Sure we do...Deal or No Deal. ;D Says alot about this country don't you think?

Guest web_norah

american football is so much slower. Every two minutes the whole games comes to a halt. In American football how is the score kept ? If each touch down was one point then it would be a low scoring game also.

About the pain in soccer ..... let me run full speed and jump on you ankles and see how macho you really are ....

American football has the most safety equipment gear on their bodies..... who is the pussy ?

i know who the pussy is!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest james stratus

Hmm... In Middle School and High School I played Baseball, Basketball, Football, Tennis, and Lacrosse. I used to watch every game and go to as many of beloved Knicks, Yankees, and Mets games as I could. At this point in my life I've grown out of watching sports because IT IS BORING!

Basketball is the only Sport with any constant action and even that is only bareable to watch only in the Playoffs. Baseball is slow.... Football is slow, and I don't have a really great attention span. Soccer (sic Football) , which I'm not a hard core fan of, gets no air play in the US.... a lot like EDM hmm. It doesn't get a lot of play on the High School and College level like the main sports do and not a whole lot of schools on any level even have it. There is something about it that if you watch it and take it for what it is that makes it exciting though. There is a lot of sjill and endurance involved and haveing your team get a goal really matters. Just a thought.

Go USA! ;D