Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Thanks Comcast

Guest saintjohn

Whatever happened to that "internet via powerline" tech we've been promised since the millennium? Doesn't FPL want to take even more of my money?

Guest saintjohn

Well, ham radio transmissions have been messing with everything else for years, so bring it on.

j/k

Guest pod

The only thing BPL has going for it is the infrastructure. There's a power outlet everywhere, basically. I haven't seen reports on potential bandwidth yet.

Guest ramon

The only thing BPL has going for it is the infrastructure. There's a power outlet everywhere, basically. I haven't seen reports on potential bandwidth yet.

infrastructure is there for someone else to use those powerlines to put other kinds of connectivity out. ffs sort it out!

Guest ramon

US carriers have reportedly lost more than five million telephone customers to cable rivals Time Warner Cable, Comcast and Cox Communications over the last year. More than 1 million customers now use VoIP services developed by Sprint Nextel in tandem with cable companies. Sprint has forecast that some $1 billion will be generated by VoIP services by 2009.

Sales of Wi-Fi enabled cellphones will be booming by 2010, according to a study by market research firm In-Stat. They predict that 132 million will be in use by 2010.

Guest Philip

ok. just saw this thread as i rarely venture into this forum. COMCAST FUCKING BLOWS. I have been fighting with them for 3 weeks now to get my connection above dial-up speed. this is the most pathetic rip-off i have ever encountered. the service guys come out and mess with "the box around the corner" and never check back with me to verify that its actually working. i'm a pretty calm and rational guy in the face of incredible adversity but this has pushed me to the limit. approx every 3 hours i have to reset the whole network. i can't tell you how many times i have called tech's out to repair and they never show. i could tell you so much more but i dont have the heart...

Guest ramon

just got my 8mbps connection installed yesterday and I'm very happy. doing over 1MB/s for downloads and a little over 90kB/s for uploads.

Guest ramon

We have 8 via DSL here at the HQ. 8 has been bog-standard on other cable systems for awhile though.

nice .. nothing beats GigE direct to the internet though. That's just wrong. You can see the servers slowing you down ;)

Guest pod

Cablevision in New Jersey, where the fam is, they've got screaming levels of performance. Small footprint though.

I remember when cable sucked because they didn't plan ahead and people jumped on and slowed the whole works down.