Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Zidane wins best player award despite red

Guest mp3some

Guest mp3some

Zidane wins best player award despite red

BERLIN (AP) - France captain Zinedine Zidane, sent off for headbutting Marco Materazzi late in Sunday's World Cup final loss to Italy, won the Golden Ball award for the tournament's best player.

The results were released Monday morning in Berlin by FIFA.

Zidane polled 2012 points in the vote by journalists covering the tournament, beating Italians Fabio Cannavaro (1977 points) and Andrea Pirlo (715 points) in the ballot.

Zidane, who put France ahead with a penalty kick in the opening minutes, was given a red card after slamming his head into Materazzi's chest during the tense second period of extra time.

It was his last act as a professional player and one that was widely criticized in France and abroad.

With the score locked 1-1 after 120 minutes the French missed Zidane's prowess in the penalty shootout, which Italy calmly won 5-3 to collect its fourth World Cup title.

Zidane, 34, a former international player of the year and 1998 World Cup champion, announced last month that he was retiring from soccer after the tournament.

He wasn't particularly outstanding in France's opening draws with Switzerland and South Korea and missed the last group match against Togo due to suspension. But Zidane produced some vintage performances in the wins over Spain, Brazil and Portugal in the knockout phase.

Voting for the 2006 Golden Ball closed at midnight Sunday. In previous tournaments, the ballot has closed at halftime in the final and the winner announced soon after the match.

Italian captain Cannavaro could be considered unlucky in the voting.

He led an Italian defense that conceded only two goals in the tournament: an own goal against the United States and Zidane's penalty.

The final was his 100th cap for Italy.

"I got my award, that's it right there," Cannavaro said, gesturing toward the World Cup trophy sitting on the table in front of him. "I'm extremely pleased with what I have."

With fellow central defender Alessandro Nesta injured, Cannavaro played every minute of Italy's seven games.

Many pundits tipped Cannavaro as the winner, including 1986 winner Diego Maradona.

"Fabio Cannavaro was the best player of this World Cup," the Argentine great said. "Yes, it was a tournament without one dominant player, but Fabio was huge."

Germany goalkeeper Oliver Kahn won the Golden Ball in 2002. Other previous winners were Brazilians Ronaldo (1998) and Romario ('94) and Italy's Salvatore Schillaci ('90).

Germany striker Miroslav Klose was the Golden Shoe winner for the tournament's leading scorer. He won with five goals. Ronaldo won the award in 2002 with eight goals.

Source: http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5772720

Well, despite everything, I think it was well deserved. The guy has a bit of an attitude problem, but we'll never know what the hell did the italian dude tell him... must have been something about his mother!!! :P lol

Félicitations a Zizou!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest swirlundergrounder

I can't believe he went out like that! Who knows what would have happened during the PKs if he was still in.

I'm glad France lost though...

He could have easily broken his neck if he hit that dude wrong...

Guest JMT

I can't believe he went out like that! Who knows what would have happened during the PKs if he was still in.

I'm glad France lost though...

He could have easily broken his neck if he hit that dude wrong...

he also could have fractured that dude's sternum. but who knows what what was said. maybe he deserved it. but, still dumb to let your emotions get the best of you in that situation.

Guest teabag

as despicable as the head butt was ...he was the most impostant player..without him France would have never made it to the finals....

Guest sross

as despicable as the head butt was ...he was the most impostant player..without him France would have never made it to the finals....

Makele and Thuram were far more important imo.

Guest musicalmissionary

Henry's acting was their strongest asset by far... he should get an Oscar.

Guest LeVeL

Zidane is the man ;D

CORRECTION: Zidane WAS the man

Why would you say such a thing...

The Guy is on to of the Soccer world right now...even with him headbutting that Italian Defender, he was still considered the best Soccer Player in this World Cup which is why he won the Golden Ball. The guy being 34 years of age and is able to outplay guys in their 20's, he has rejuvenated his career, yeah he stated he would retire after the world cup but Dollars are being thrown at this guy as we speak, you think Real Madrid wouldn't love for him to comeback to play for another year.

Rodaldhino is probably considered the Best Player in the world before the World Cup started but after all the events that have happened during thsi World Cup, at this moment Zidane is overshadowing every player out there at the age of 34 years old.

Guest sross

Zidane is the man ;D

The Guy is on to of the Soccer world right now...even with him headbutting that Italian Defender' date=' he was still considered the best Soccer Player in this World Cup which is why he won the Golden Ball. The guy being 34 years of age and is able to outplay guys in their 20's, he has rejuvenated his career, yeah he stated he would retire after the world cup but Dollars are being thrown at this guy as we speak, you think Real Madrid wouldn't love for him to comeback to play for another year.

[/quote']

Apart from a few bits of magic Zidane was pretty ordinary. I think there were a lot of players who deserved the award ahead of him but sentimentality won out. And no, I can't see Real wanting him to stay on.

Guest LeVeL

Okay...so give me an example of a player that deserved that Golden Ball more than Zidane did ?

First of all the The adidas Golden Ball is always awarded to the most outstanding player. Zidane was probably not the player with the most goals, but he was involved in or assisted in almost all the Goals France made. He is also the Captain and the winner of the Golden Ball is usually not given to the player with the best overal performance but Team Performance also weighs with the vote.

Guest musicalmissionary

Zidane is the man ;D

The Guy is on to of the Soccer world right now...even with him headbutting that Italian Defender' date=' he was still considered the best Soccer Player in this World Cup which is why he won the Golden Ball. The guy being 34 years of age and is able to outplay guys in their 20's, he has rejuvenated his career, yeah he stated he would retire after the world cup but Dollars are being thrown at this guy as we speak, you think Real Madrid wouldn't love for him to comeback to play for another year.

Rodaldhino is probably considered the Best Player in the world before the World Cup started but after all the events that have happened during thsi World Cup, at this moment Zidane is overshadowing every player out there at the age of 34 years old.

[/quote']

Sorry... he was good, great a few times, but not worthy of the tournament's top honor. His last 3 goals were 2 PK's (1 in the finals which was bullshit and one against Brazil which was legit) and a last minute goal against Spain after they had effectively sent their entire team on attack trying to equalize. And at the end of the day... when his team needed him most... where was he? Out of the game... where he put himself.

Okay...so give me an example of a player that deserved that Golden Ball more than Zidane did ?

First of all the The adidas Golden Ball is always awarded to the most outstanding player. Zidane was probably not the player with the most goals' date=' but he was involved in or assisted in almost all the Goals France made. He is also the Captain and the winner of the Golden Ball is usually not given to the player with the best overal performance but Team Performance also weighs with the vote.

[/quote']

My bad, LOL. I wanted to say this...

Cannavaro, Pirlo, Buffon are the names you are looking for Level. As of Captain, if Captain acts that they, how should other react?! Henry should have spit on someone, Bartez should have kick someone in balls etc etc. Giving Zidane Golden Ball was such a great message to kids and young players, WTF were they thinking giving him Golden Ball?!

Wow he got a red card :o ::) who gives a shit? You cannot erase what Zidane has done because of one mistake. You know why he is considered a great one? It doesn't matter if he didn't do jack in the first round but he showed up in the most important games and thats alot more important then anything else,he doesn't disappear when it is time to step up to the plate, unlike Ronaldinho (can't believe they are ppl comapring him to el Diego) Henry is another one even though he did score on Brazil,thanks to a great pass from Zidane,lets see who else? Adriano,Riquelme, and a bunch more.

David you say he scored in pks,well if they were fouls or not thats not his problem,France was awarded to them and it was up to him to make them and he did.Btw do you know how cold blooded you have to be to take a penalty the way he did in the final vs Italia? Big fucking COJONES.You must've seen it kicked that way but not in a world cup final.You are also knocking on him because he scored the 3rd gol on Spain for the reason that Spain was in a all attack mode,hey if we want we can find excuses to just about anything that has happen in this world cup or in any sport for that matter.

As for him or his emotions getting the best of him for what he did,fuck I know he could've done better but this a very emotional sport,he is playing his last game,the game is in extra-time,theres a lot in stake. And still no one is 100% sure of what the italian defender told him but im sure it had to something that had to offended him in order to attack Materrzi the way he did.If any of you guys played sports you know things can get crazy when theres emotions involved.Shit i've gotten a few red cards when playing futbol back in the days. :)And they were not for dirty fouls/dives.

Just for the record Materrazi is not no saint,actually he is a dirty ass mofo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmW83FjB1Yc&search=materazzi

talk about anti-futbol

Guest LeVeL

Cannavaro, Pirlo, Buffon are the names you are looking for Level. As of Captain, if Captain acts that they, how should other react?! Henry should have spit on someone, Bartez should have kick someone in balls etc etc. Giving Zidane Golden Ball was such a great message to kids and young players, WTF were they thinking giving him Golden Ball?!

The Golden Ball winner was decided before the World Cup Final. Who would of known that Zidane would headbutt oone of the Italians, it was totally unexpected.

But Zidane was the obvious choice to win the Golden Ball and its too late for FIFA to give it to another player.

You guys are just hating because your teams got eliminated by France. It still doesn't take away the impact Zidane had on the games he played and on his team. He was that Motor that kept France moving.

Guest sross

If you need to give the Golden Boot to a finalist then Cannavaro, Makele and Thuram are ahead of Zidane. Otherwise either of those 3, Klose (5 goals - the second World Cup in a row he has scored 5), Lahm, Podolski, Ricardo, Maxi Rodriquez, Sorin, Cambiasso, Torrado, Lehmann, Ze Roberto, Maniche spring to mind as good choices.

My bad' date=' LOL. I wanted to say this...

[/quote']

The Golden Ball winner was decided before the World Cup Final. Who would of known that Zidane would headbutt oone of the Italians, it was totally unexpected.

But Zidane was the obvious choice to win the Golden Ball and its too late for FIFA to give it to another player.

You guys are just hating because your teams got eliminated by France. It still doesn't take away the impact Zidane had on the games he played and on his team. He was that Motor that kept France moving.

I'm not hating at all, that headbutt wont erase what he did and what he accomplished and yes he was one of the best that ever played football but he didnt deserve Golden Ball this World Cup, that's all. Cannavaro was above the all and Pirlo also, Pirlo was "man of the match" in finals and semis and against Ghana.

You couldn’t have said it better all three deserve it over him.

Guest r3nz0

Leo is right. Zizou played great when it counted. He didn't play well in the first two games this Cup, but he picked up his game tremendously in the games that counted most. And that is what clutch players do. Most of the voters of the Golden Ball Award turned in their ballots by halftime of the final, so that's why Zizou was first.

If Buffon and Cannavaro had won it, it would have been perfectly fine. They were simply amazing. Cannavaro is like two players out there. Ridiculous how good he is. And Buffon is the greatest keeper in the world and he showed it. But Zidane winning it is not even close to being unfair. Not even close. Without him, France would not be there. He is their rock. He is their leader. And yeah, he fucked up at the end. And he hurt his team more than he hurt his legacy. But shit happens and none of us were in his shoes, so we don't know how we would have reacted. He did what he did.

And I can't help but laugh when people say Zidane was average throughout the Cup. Um, what? What World Cup did you watch? He is a midfielder, not a forward. He's not supposed to score 3 goals per game. His job is to construct France's midfield. France's midfield was 10 times more solid than Brazil's, than Portugal's, and than Italy's. He makes football look easy. He plays the way football is supposed to be played.

Leo is right. Zizou played great when it counted.

Yes he did, no doubt, but he also missed one game because of the cards, he didn't do shit first 2 games lets not forget that and Cannavaro was on the money from start to the end, that's the difference plus Cannavaro's team won World Cup. I can understand voters, they were voting for Zidane because it was his last World Cup, he is going to retire etc but he didnt deserve it. He was great but there were 2-3 players who were better throughout the tournament.

Guest Vitaliy

Leo is right. Zizou played great when it counted. He didn't play well in the first two games this Cup, but he picked up his game tremendously in the games that counted most. And that is what clutch players do. Most of the voters of the Golden Ball Award turned in their ballots by halftime of the final, so that's why Zizou was first.

If Buffon and Cannavaro had won it, it would have been perfectly fine. They were simply amazing. Cannavaro is like two players out there. Ridiculous how good he is. And Buffon is the greatest keeper in the world and he showed it. But Zidane winning it is not even close to being unfair. Not even close. Without him, France would not be there. He is their rock. He is their leader. And yeah, he fucked up at the end. And he hurt his team more than he hurt his legacy. But shit happens and none of us were in his shoes, so we don't know how we would have reacted. He did what he did.

And I can't help but laugh when people say Zidane was average throughout the Cup. Um, what? What World Cup did you watch? He is a midfielder, not a forward. He's not supposed to score 3 goals per game. His job is to construct France's midfield. France's midfield was 10 times more solid than Brazil's, than Portugal's, and than Italy's. He makes football look easy. He plays the way football is supposed to be played.

probably best thing you've ever posted! Zidane is far from being my favorite player, but If he doesn't make you sit in front of your TV in awe then I don't know who can. To me he's the Tim Duncan of football

Guest mp3some

Guys, dont forget that neither team, France nor Italy had anything to show on the first round. ::) I mean NOTHING!

The problem with France at the beginning of the tournament was their lack of communication... too many leaders, nobody wanted to work for anyone, so they had a rough time getting their groove on.

They barely advanced on 2nd place in their group and went on to defeat the mighty young Spanish team. That 2nd goal was crutial for them, definitely a turning point; but the third was just icing on the cake, they knew what they had from that moment on.

They went on to beat Brazil and then Portugal.

Almost every play that brought danger to the opposing teams' goals were originated or coordinated by Zidane.

Just watching the plays unfold you knew that when zidane had the ball something really fucking good was gonna happen, a pass, a shot (una finta, un centro, un disparo....) something.

The man is just an amazing veteran. He is as talented and skillful as they come.

p1.zidane.france.jpgfrancia_portugal4.jpg

francia_portugal9.jpg

09italiacampeon2.jpg09italiacampeon3.jpg

09italiacampeon6.jpg

09italiacampeon7.jpg

...But the players themselves, who have refused to divulge what was said to Zidane by Materazzi, praised the contribution of a player widely regarded as the best of his generation.

"All I want to say to 'Zizou,' and I think France should say it and the world of football...is 'thank you.' And thank you, that's it," France striker Thierry Henry said, using the affectionate nickname by which Zidane is known.

"To finish in a World Cup final takes nothing away from anything. On the contrary, we should thank him because if he hadn't returned (to the national side) we would not have been there tonight," said France defender Willy Sagnol.

from:http://www.cnn.com/2006/SPORT/football/07/10/worldcup.fallout/index.html

07.super.walkoff.afpgi.jpg