Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Zidane wins best player award despite red

Guest mp3some

That was Zidane's 14th red card in his career. He hasn't been an angel but genius is often flawed.

People forget about WC 98 and game against Saudi Arabia when he got suspended for 2 games. I'm not hating' date=' Zidane is one of the best players that ever played football but he has always been dirty player and you should be dirty nowdays in sports, politics, club business, anything, you name it, but you also need to be smart. That was wrong, stupid move from him no matter what Materazzi said to him, he let his team down, it would have been better if he had won the WC and got back at Materazzi that way. Zidane lost his nerve for a reason, just like 99% of us would too but you have to control it, its WC finals come on it wasnt just any game, it was the game that over billion people watched, World Cup Final, if France had won it he could have call that game "game of his life" maybe and he had so many big games and instead Italy is smiling, France is crying. I'm not saying France would have won if Zidane didn't get red card but now we will never know.

[/quote']

Next time Zidane should put on a helmet before headbutting him.

No next time kid, he retired loosing in finals and with letting his team down.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was Zidane's 14th red card in his career. He hasn't been an angel but genius is often flawed.

People forget about WC 98 and game against Saudi Arabia when he got suspended for 2 games. I'm not hating, Zidane is one of the best players that ever played football but he has always been dirty player and you should be dirty nowdays in sports, politics, club business, anything, you name it, but you also need to be smart. That was wrong, stupid move from him no matter what Materazzi said to him, he let his team down, it would have been better if he had won the WC and got back at Materazzi that way. Zidane lost his nerve for a reason, just like 99% of us would too but you have to control it, its WC finals come on it wasnt just any game, it was the game that over billion people watched, World Cup Final, if France had won it he could have call that game "game of his life" maybe and he had so many big games and instead Italy is smiling, France is crying. I'm not saying France would have won if Zidane didn't get red card but now we will never know.

Guess what? Do some research. The whole team is supporting him. In case you didn't know, their team motto is "We die together". I'm not even a fan of French soccer, but I do respect them for sticking behind him despite the lost. Cup or not I still think Materrazzi is a little pussy. I never knew verbal abuse was considered a strategy in soccer. WTF, just play the game and shut up.

People forget about WC 98 and game against Saudi Arabia when he got suspended for 2 games. I'm not hating' date=' Zidane is one of the best players that ever played football but he has always been dirty player and you should be dirty nowdays in sports, politics, club business, anything, you name it, but you also need to be smart. That was wrong, stupid move from him no matter what Materazzi said to him, he let his team down, it would have been better if he had won the WC and got back at Materazzi that way. Zidane lost his nerve for a reason, just like 99% of us would too but you have to control it, its WC finals come on it wasnt just any game, it was the game that over billion people watched, World Cup Final, if France had won it he could have call that game "game of his life" maybe and he had so many big games and instead Italy is smiling, France is crying. I'm not saying France would have won if Zidane didn't get red card but now we will never know.

[/quote']

Guess what? Do some research. The whole team is supporting him. In case you didn't know, their team motto is "We die together". I'm not even a fan of French soccer, but I do respect them for sticking behind him despite the lost. Cup or not I still think Materrazzi is a little pussy. I never knew verbal abuse was considered a strategy in soccer. WTF, just play the game and shut up.

You do some research, whole team forgave him but not the whole team is supporting what he did, anyway its pointless for us to argue here, it's just the matter of opinion, people think differently and that's ok. I would rather have a shot at winning a WC and getting back at opponent that way, you would rather punch him. Potato, tomato you know. Ibrahimovic waited for Mihajlovic in tunnel and puched him there.

People forget about WC 98 and game against Saudi Arabia when he got suspended for 2 games. I'm not hating, Zidane is one of the best players that ever played football but he has always been dirty player and you should be dirty nowdays in sports, politics, club business, anything, you name it, but you also need to be smart. That was wrong, stupid move from him no matter what Materazzi said to him, he let his team down, it would have been better if he had won the WC and got back at Materazzi that way. Zidane lost his nerve for a reason, just like 99% of us would too but you have to control it, its WC finals come on it wasnt just any game, it was the game that over billion people watched, World Cup Final, if France had won it he could have call that game "game of his life" maybe and he had so many big games and instead Italy is smiling, France is crying. I'm not saying France would have won if Zidane didn't get red card but now we will never know.

anyway its pointless for us to argue here, it's just the matter of opinion, people think differently and that's ok.

Agreed 8)

Guest mp3some

Materazzi backs Zidane for award

Zinedine Zidane should be allowed to keep the Golden Ball Award for the World Cup's best player, according to Marco Materazzi, the man he headbutted.

France skipper Zidane was sent off in extra-time of the final after launching himself at the Italian defender.

_41882168_zinedinezidane203.jpg

Fifa is investigating the incident and Fifa president Sepp Blatter has hinted Zidane, 34, could lose the award.

But Materazzi said: "Zidane has won that award because of what he has done on the pitch - he was the best."

The World Cup final was Zidane's last match before retirement.

He gave France the lead from the penalty spot but was not around to repeat the trick in the shoot-out having been sent off late in extra time.

Materazzi cancelled out France's opening goal with a header, and having been floored by Zidane, stepped up to convert one of Italy's five spot-kicks that secured their title.

"I have always admired Zidane," Materazzi added.

"In fact I have one of his shirts in my closet - we exchanged our shirts after a Juventus v Perugia game."

"My only real provocation was to stop him.

"Earlier, he had come close to scoring (with a header) and our goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon had made a superb save.

"After holding his shirt, I wasn't the first to speak."

The Inter Milan player also hit back at accusations he over-reacted after the incident.

"I could have expected a verbal reaction but not to be headbutted," he said.

"It's not true what (French coach Raymond) Domenech said, that I made a big drama out of it."

Zidane has apologised for his headbutt but does not regret his actions, alleging on television that Materazzi provoked him by insulting both his mother and sister.

"It was inexcusable," he said. "I apologise, but I can't regret what I did because it would mean that he was right to say all that."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/france/5176426.stm

:P

Guest LeVeL

Ibrahimovic waited for Mihajlovic in tunnel and puched him there.

I think that would of been the approach I would of taken, I would of waited for the game to end and then retaliate, that way the team is not affected .

It would of been a better retribution, hey it would of probably made Sportcenter's Most Shocking Moments in Sports as #1.

Zidane is the man, no matter what.

Guest musicalmissionary

Seriously... it doesn't matter what was said... not one single bit. If Zidane didn't have the fucking brain power to immediately recognize everything that was being said to him was bait... he's a fuckin idiot... who very possibly cost his team a World Cup title. Granted... he's an extremely talented fuckin idiot... but a fuckin idiot nonetheless.

Whatever... In an emotional game of that maginitude' date=' where everything is happening on a whim, it's hard to not hurt some jackass that is making racial slurs and disrespecting your mother. Maybe racial slurs don't bother you much, but to some people it is the worst offense known. If his mom means that much to him, I don't blame him. The guy's not an idiot, he just won't tolerate anybody disrespecting him or his family. In other words, he's not a little fucking pussy with no backbone. That headbutt was well deserved. Personally, I would have probably kicked him in the face or done something worse. I bet you Materazzi will think twice now before doing something like that. Zidane is the man regardless.

[/quote']

Whatever guys... it's one thing to be verbally abused by somebody out on the street in a normal day-to-day scenario where it's clear the motivation behind the insults is genuine hatred. It's a totally different (and stupid) thing to let those kinds of insults get to you in a situation where they are clearly meant for no other reason than to get in your head. Bottom line is he took the bait... and that's a stupid thing to do no matter how you try to spin it.

And I haven't dogged on Zidane's skills anywhere in this thread or anywhere else. So don't accuse me of having beef with him. I am a Real Madrid fan by the way so I'm totally aware of his positive contributions to the game. But I'm also a fair-minded person, I don't kiss anyone's ass for any reason. I call things like I see them and I simply felt that Zidane's level of play in this World Cup was close enough to the level of other players who were nominated who DID NOT lose their heads and hurt their teams that I felt someone else should have gotten it. If the voting was truly decided before his mental breakdown then fine, I can totally understand how he got it and respect that. But I'm not gunnu kiss the guy's ass becuase of his legacy becuase he got insulted on the pitch and lost his cool. I repeat... he's stupid for taking the bait. There's no other way to put it. I'm not calling him stupid because I have some personal issues or vendeta against him... I'm just making a simple observation. Case closed.

Seriously... it doesn't matter what was said... not one single bit. If Zidane didn't have the fucking brain power to immediately recognize everything that was being said to him was bait... he's a fuckin idiot... who very possibly cost his team a World Cup title. Granted... he's an extremely talented fuckin idiot... but a fuckin idiot nonetheless.

Whatever... In an emotional game of that maginitude' date=' where everything is happening on a whim, it's hard to not hurt some jackass that is making racial slurs and disrespecting your mother. Maybe racial slurs don't bother you much, but to some people it is the worst offense known. If his mom means that much to him, I don't blame him. The guy's not an idiot, he just won't tolerate anybody disrespecting him or his family. In other words, he's not a little fucking pussy with no backbone. That headbutt was well deserved. Personally, I would have probably kicked him in the face or done something worse. I bet you Materazzi will think twice now before doing something like that. Zidane is the man regardless.

[/quote']

Have you ever played organized sports before? Dude shit talking is a part of sports. Do you know how many times playing football and baseball the other teams talked shit to me? My football coach would always make it a point to tell us not to loose our heads. I don’t care what was said to Zidane he is a professional. He should have never resulted to violence.

Guest Mattivi

Whatever... In an emotional game of that maginitude, where everything is happening on a whim, it's hard to not hurt some jackass that is making racial slurs and disrespecting your mother. Maybe racial slurs don't bother you much, but to some people it is the worst offense known. If his mom means that much to him, I don't blame him. The guy's not an idiot, he just won't tolerate anybody disrespecting him or his family. In other words, he's not a little fucking pussy with no backbone. That headbutt was well deserved. Personally, I would have probably kicked him in the face or done something worse. I bet you Materazzi will think twice now before doing something like that. Zidane is the man regardless.

Have you ever played organized sports before? Dude shit talking is a part of sports. Do you know how many times playing football and baseball the other teams talked shit to me? My football coach would always make it a point to tell us not to loose our heads. I don’t care what was said to Zidane he is a professional. He should have never resulted to violence.

there is a difference between "talking shit" and outright disrepecting someone's family. a line has to be drawn, there is no reason to bring up someone's family in a competitive sporting event, its crass, classless and was totally unwarranted. even though i dont agree with the headbutt, i cant blame the guy either.

Guest lyrik

Whatever... In an emotional game of that maginitude, where everything is happening on a whim, it's hard to not hurt some jackass that is making racial slurs and disrespecting your mother. Maybe racial slurs don't bother you much, but to some people it is the worst offense known. If his mom means that much to him, I don't blame him. The guy's not an idiot, he just won't tolerate anybody disrespecting him or his family. In other words, he's not a little fucking pussy with no backbone. That headbutt was well deserved. Personally, I would have probably kicked him in the face or done something worse. I bet you Materazzi will think twice now before doing something like that. Zidane is the man regardless.

Have to agree here with Marcus...to be physically strong or equal to another is one thing in sports...but to be able to get into another players head is another and its ALL party of the game especially in prof. sports where the outcome means much more....I've done it...had it done to me and it will keep on going....watch the movie The Program....still one of my fav. sports movies of all time...that linebacker is just how we all were on D back in the day...its a rush - its over the top but it feels oh so good to talk shit and deliver.

there is a difference between "talking shit" and outright disrepecting someone's family. a line has to be drawn, there is no reason to bring up someone's family in a competitive sporting event, its crass, classless and was totally unwarranted. even though i dont agree with the headbutt, i cant blame the guy either.

I am not a fan of shit talking but stop being a pussy who cares what he said about his family. What ever he said he did it on porpouse to get into his head and he let him. He lost his cool plain and simple.

Guest lyrik

Thats just bullshit...no where in the rules is it stated shit talking is not allowed...I guess thats why some people play golf or cricket instead of football and soccer...and then call those sports "gentlemens sports" good for them...but if you are going to step on the field and play a mans sport be prepared to suck it up and be a man...if it were me and I got head butted I wouldn't of rolled around on the ground I would have jumped back up and rushed him.

Guest lyrik

I am not a fan of shit talking but stop being a pussy who cares what he said about his family. What ever he said he did it on porpouse to get into his head and he let him. He lost his cool plain and simple.

exactly and who won that game.....

Have to agree here with Marcus...to be physically strong or equal to another is one thing in sports...but to be able to get into another players head is another and its ALL party of the game especially in organized sports where the outcome means much more....I've done it...had it done to me and it will keep on going....watch the movie The Program....still one of my fav. sports movies of all time...that linebacker is just how we all were on D back in the day...its a rush - its over the top but it feels oh so good to talk shit and deliver.

That movie was awesome!!! I loved how they painted their faces to intimidate the other teams.

Guest lyrik

Have to agree here with Marcus...to be physically strong or equal to another is one thing in sports...but to be able to get into another players head is another and its ALL party of the game especially in organized sports where the outcome means much more....I've done it...had it done to me and it will keep on going....watch the movie The Program....still one of my fav. sports movies of all time...that linebacker is just how we all were on D back in the day...its a rush - its over the top but it feels oh so good to talk shit and deliver.

That movie was awesome!!! I loved how they painted their faces to intimidate the other teams.

Fuckin Lattimer!

What Henry said is best "You can take individual out of rough neighborhood but you can't take rough neighborhood out of individual" and he was talking about Zidane. Materazzi won WC and mental battle against Zidane. Talking shit and getting into opponents head has always been and will always be a part of footbal.

Guest musicalmissionary

even though i dont agree with the headbutt, i cant blame the guy either.

In that case... I'm not really blaming him either. If he really let Materazzi's trash talkin get to his head and his outlet was the headbutt, then by all means he did what he felt necessary. Good for him. I don't blame him for doing what he felt necessary. But I will call him a fucking idiot for not having the intelligence to realize every fucking word out of Materazzi's mouth was specifically designed to push his buttons and he's a fool for allowing the shit to get to him. A smarter person would have laughed right back in Materazzi's face at every jab and told him to try harder cuz it ain't workin and effectively pushed his buttons right back... but he didn't.

Guest Mattivi

Thats just bullshit...no where in the rules is it stated shit talking is not allowed...I guess thats why some people play golf or cricket instead of football and soccer...and then call those sports "gentlemens sports" good for them...but if you are going to step on the field and play a mans sport be prepared to suck it up and be a man...if it were me and I got head butted I wouldn't of rolled around on the ground I would have jumped back up and rushed him.

there is nothing wrong with talking shit. but why bring someones family into it? if you think that is cool, and your so level headed and you wouldnt have lost it, your awesome. but i fail to see why someone would have to take offensive shots at someones immediate family. thats not shit talking. your saying somthing very offensive about someones loved ones so expect an explosive reaction. nuff said. tho i dont condone his act, i dont disagree with it either. this is a worldclass event and some asshole is resorting to degenerate comments. that shit wouldnt fly in the streets so why should it fly on the playing field? cheers to zidane.

Guest Mattivi

In that case... I'm not really blaming him either. If he really let Materazzi's trash talkin get to his head and his outlet was the headbutt, then by all means he did what he felt necessary. Good for him. I don't blame him for doing what he felt necessary. But I will call him a fucking idiot for not having the intelligence to realize every fucking word out of Materazzi's mouth was specifically designed to push his buttons and he's a fool for allowing the shit to get to him. A smarter person would have laughed right back in Materazzi's face at every jab and told him to try harder cuz it ain't workin and effectively pushed his buttons right back... but he didn't.

thats a good point. but when your ramped up playing the biggest sporting event in the world, its easy to ride on your emotions instead of your brain. i agree he should have laughed it off, but i think it was totally classless on materazzi's part and their shouldnt be shit like that in sports. but call me old fashioned.

I agree, headbutt didn't hurt much but imagine how much it would hurt if France won WC and Zidane just laughed at Materazzi. I bet that would hurt much more and Zidane would have gotten better satisfaction that way. Those of you who support what Zidane did, ask yourself would you rather win WC or headbutt someone? I personally would take WC any given day. And again I'm not saying France would win if Zidane didn't get red card but I think they had more chance with him on the pitch.

Guest Mattivi

your absolutely right. when you really look at it, materazzi got the best of zidane, and gave his team the competiteve advantage. i wish world cup would have ended differently with zidane in the fold, but he lost his composure. i just think he should have never been provoked like that in the first place, but at the same time im not naive enough to think that kinda of shit doesnt happen all the time either. but i never seen zidane that angry, so it must have been a low blow. oh well we're beating a dead horse.

Guest lyrik

there is nothing wrong with talking shit. but why bring someones family into it? if you think that is cool, and your so level headed and you wouldnt have lost it, your awesome. but i fail to see why someone would have to take offensive shots at someones immediate family. thats not shit talking. your saying somthing very offensive about someones loved ones so expect an explosive reaction. nuff said. tho i dont condone his act, i dont disagree with it either. this is a worldclass event and some asshole is resorting to degenerate comments. that shit wouldnt fly in the streets so why should it fly on the playing field? cheers to zidane.

you know how many times my immediate family was insulted while I was playing sports...toooo many times...I my older bro and sister went to a neighboring towns highschool and when I was old enough (roughly 4 years behind them) to go to highschool my parents had moved to a town that just happened to be their biggest rival...now everyone knows how small towns and last names are remembered players would shout out how their brother and brothers friends had done aweful things to my sister...my bro was this and that and my parents must be this or that...it only felt BETTER to hit them even harder and cram it down their throat...now I see in some sports contact is not as much as it may be football...but even in baseball we found ways to get back, even or ahead mentally and physically...its a game...a game of toughness both physically and mentally...only when the rules were obviously broken in the shape of maybe an intentional bean ball or grab or kick to the nuts....or throat under the mask did you see players losing their cool on our teams. We were coached pretty well....occasionally you had the hot head that would pop off no matter what and to make matters worse the area I grew up in was heavy in gang activity so you would have rival gang members playing with each other and against each other...that was really silly part of it...gang members waiting after the games by the buses.

Thank you!!