Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Now that's what I call a great job perk...

Guest mp3some

Guest mp3some

Small businesses offer incentives for hybrids

Thu Jul 6, 2006 9:53 AM ET

By Jess Blumberg

(Inc.com) - While major corporations like Bank of America and Google have garnered headlines recently for offering cash incentives to employees who buy hybrid vehicles, a number of small businesses have already found success through similar eco-friendly programs.

Business owners say their efforts to reward fuel conservation have already resulted in better employee recruitment and retention.

"Private businesses are doing what the government should do," said Greg James, founder and CEO of Topics Entertainment, a Seattle-based publisher of educational software, which established its "Eco Car Incentive Program" in 2002. "This makes for less clogged air and happier employees because they are saving money every month."

The company offers $1,000 to any of its 50 employees who downgrade engine sizes -- and if an employee goes hybrid, the company offers $2,000.

James cited his own downgrade from a 6-cylinder SUV to his current Subaru Forrester, which helped reduce his gas consumption from 1,250 gallons a year to 750.

My Organic Market, or MOM's, based in Rockville, Md., started an incentive program about a year and a half ago, which rewards employees up to $3,000 for purchasing and driving a hybrid vehicle.

MOM's employees who have been with the company for more than two years and work a minimum of 1,000 hours per year are also entitled to a $1,000 bonus for their down payment on any car that gets an average of 45 miles per gallon or more.

After that, they are entitled to receive an additional bonus of $1,000 at the end of each of the two years following the first bonus, if still employed at MOM's and driving the fuel-efficient or hybrid car.

"We're now starting to see the effects, and a recent survey showed that employee retention and recruiting improved substantially," said Scott Nash, CEO of MOM's. "Morale is higher too because employees want to work harder for a company that cares."

Such breaks come on top of tax credits already offered by the government. Under the Energy Policy Act of 2005, individuals and businesses that buy or lease a new hybrid gas-electric car or truck, or an alternative-fuel or fuel-cell vehicle, are eligible for an income-tax credit of up to $3,400, depending on the vehicle's fuel economy and weight. Larger companies like Hyperion, a software company based in Santa Clara, Calif., and Integrated Archive Systems in Palo Alto, Calif., are simply offering their employees flat incentives of $5,000 and $10,000 for the purchase of a hybrid, respectively.

However, incentive programs like this are hard for many small businesses to afford, according to Jennifer Woofter, president of Strategic Sustainability Consulting, who consults with small businesses to make them more environmentally friendly.

"For small companies, who have challenges of giving their workers health benefits, it isn't reasonable," Woofter said. "While we may see some small businesses offering bonuses for hybrid cars, we're more likely to see alternative techniques."

These techniques, such as allowing employees to telecommute a couple of days a week, covering their public transit costs, or even buying employees a bicycle, are more cost-effective for businesses with smaller budgets.

Woofter does, however, say that programs defraying the cost of a hybrid are still among the best options if companies can afford them, since many people are resistant to the idea of giving up their car.

"We as Americans love our cars, so in that sense, it's a win for the employer, the employee and the environment," she said.

http://today.reuters.com//business/smallbusiness/article2.aspx?src=SmallBusiness_Inc_300x250_ROS_07_2006&type=smallBusinessNews&storyID=2006-07-06T135303Z_01_N05328221_RTRUKOC_0_US-INC-HYBRIDS-INC1152124210902.xml

I wish I had a similar incentive where I work.... :P

No mass transit, heavy traffic and a long ass commute are killing me. This sounds like a great idea for many in this city!

Some of the hybrids available out there now....

photo_2.jpg

large3.jpg

GSh-012_lg.jpg

GSh-046_lg.jpg

GSh-029.jpg

and many many more.... http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_sbs.shtml

8)

Guest lulamishka

The Accord and Lexus hybrids only do 26mpg? That is less than my non-hybrid car ???

I don't know how the Accord or Lexus hybrids work, but for the Toyota Prius, driving below 30mph uses only the electric battery. Your gas tank automatically kicks in over 30mph.

So, if you commute in heavy traffic, I doubt you'll be going over 30mph. Hence, I suppose, making 26mpg for the Accord & Lexus more acceptable...

Hybrids are cool in their functionality and all but... As a self professed car nut, I feel coerced to let you guys know about their downside. They run on battery packs about half the time and in a few years when it's time to replace them I don't think you want to know how much they are going to cost you. Roughly 6-10k dollars. and that's in addition to the 5k premium over the standard car you paid to obtain it in the first place. Another point of concern is that the technology is fairly new, so there is no telling how reliable they will be. Personally this could have all been prevented if Diesel was an option on all cars in North America like they are in the rest of the world. Diesels are just as good on fuel economy as hybrids are. A VW golf 2 liter TDI will yield around 45 mpg. And with new diesel technology they run fairly quiet and are pretty clean. Turbodiesels have been standard on VW Golfs in the states for as long as I can remember.

Guest pod

If we had researched battery tech as hardcore as other technological innovations, we'd have batteries the size of a laptop with the power of a tactical nuke.

That is a poorly-kept secret though. On full-electrics and hybrids, the battery will "go" after a few years. That's why I wouldn't buy one outright until they get the battery problem solved, or when BMW finally commercializes their hydrogen vehicles.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Diesel and Hybrid cars are not the answer. Hydrogen vehicles are still way to expensive to mass produce. Ethynol fueled cards are the way to go.

More than 65% of the vehicles in Brazil now run on Ethynol and they no longer are dependent on oil. They grow their won fuel.

This is probably why the sales of hybrid cars has actually decreased in the last year. Flex Fueled cars are now being introudced into the market. And there are nearly 700 gas stations in the U.S that provide Ethynol and hopefully that number will keep growing...

Unfortunately for us we have been slow in embracing alternative fuel sources. It ttok Brazil 15 years to convert their whole infrastructure to support Ethynol fuel and get to the point today of oil independence.

America is so backwards!! We should be leading the charge in cleaning up the Earth and utilizing the most advanced technologies yet we keep rolliung back the clock as if the status quo is OK..

People need to get off their asses and wake the fuck up!

With all the B.S and special interest groups involved with big oil companies, the change that will be needed in order for our country to shift away from oil as the mian source to fuel our cars, will take twice as long at the rate we are going and the lack of Vision and caring from the average American consumer who typically fears change.

By the time the change does happen at the rate we are going and the rate we are spending money in Iraq ($800 Billion Dollars to date), we would have all been paying a 'Hamilton Note' for a gallion of gas...

Guest sross

The Accord and Lexus hybrids only do 26mpg? That is less than my non-hybrid car ???

I don't know how the Accord or Lexus hybrids work, but for the Toyota Prius, driving below 30mph uses only the electric battery. Your gas tank automatically kicks in over 30mph.

So, if you commute in heavy traffic, I doubt you'll be going over 30mph. Hence, I suppose, making 26mpg for the Accord & Lexus more acceptable...

I was under the impression that the mpg figures quoted by the hybrid car manufacturers included the part of the journey that is powered by battery, hence they give an urban, highway and combined figure, but I might be wrong on this.

Diesel is a good alternative - certainly better fuel economy although the price is higher than petrol and it still pumps out some pretty noxious gasses into the atmosphere. I think the hybrid cars are a step in the right direction, albeit probably too late.

Guest mp3some

I agree with many of you here, that Hybrid vehicles are not the final solution to this very serious issue.

We must understand that it is the first step in the right path to effectively addressing the issues of Climate Change, Air Pollution, and Oil Dependency.

You must learn to crawl before you walk before you run.

I am aware of the benefits of Hydrogen cell technology, but I am realistic as to the progress of these technologies in the minds of the consumers and the big automakers...

I found this excerpt to be incredibly on point in describing the route of action we must take.

Realizing the Promise

The role that hybrid vehicles can play is clear, but their success at filling this role is not guaranteed. Two key things are necessary to ensure that that they live up to their promise:

1Hybrids with the best possible conventional and electric technology need to be made available to the public.

2Production and sales of these hybrids need to reach mass-market levels in the hundreds of thousands per year.

These keys are in the hands of automakers, governments, and consumers.

Automakers hold the first key. With most of the necessary hybrid and conventional technology in their hands, they will be responsible for building the best possible hybrid vehicles and sending them to the showrooms. Automakers that try to graft hybrid technology onto today’s conventional vehicles will end up producing expensive, low-performance vehicles better left in the research lab. The resulting lemons could tarnish the image of hybrid technology and discourage consumers. (just like GM is doing!)

Automakers that take the practical approach of putting the best available technology to work will provide consumers with “no compromise†vehicles. And they’ll garner a profit as the vehicles reach mass-market production levels. By leading the industry, these automakers will create a sound footing for future profitability and a solid image of environmental and corporate responsibility.

Automakers also hold some responsibility for helping hybrids to reach mass-market levels. They will need to support hybrid sales by aggressively educating dealers, service personnel, and consumers about their products. But unless education and advertising campaigns are backed up with the good products, they will simply be false attempts at capturing a green image.

But automakers can’t do it alone.

Government at all levels must act to help hybrids sell well during this decade if automakers are to reach the economies of scale necessary for hybrids to become profitable. A variety of tools can provide this support, such as regulations, including fleet purchase requirements, tax credits and other financial or nonfinancial incentives, and education programs. All these measures must be carefully crafted to assure that they provide support to hybrids in proportion to the energy security and environmental gains they offer. And they must acknowledge the extent to which hybrids help pave the way for hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

Consumers also have a part to play in ensuring that hybrid sales reach mass-market levels. Assuming government and industry do their parts, this should not be a challenging task. Recent market studies indicate that at least 25% to 30% of con-sumers are already interested in purchasing a hybrid instead of a conventional vehicle. When they do, they will find themselves saving money over the life of their hybrid even as they do their part to reduce oil dependence and their impact on the environment.

Much more info at: http://www.hybridcenter.org/

8)

Guest swirlundergrounder

I agree with many of you here, that Hybrid vehicles are not the final solution to this very serious issue.

We must understand that it is the first step in the right path to effectively addressing the issues of Climate Change, Air Pollution, and Oil Dependency.

I am aware of the benefits of Hydrogen cell technology, but I am realistic as to the progress of these technologies in the minds of the consumers and the big automakers...

I found this excerpt to be incredibly on point in describing the route of action we must take.

Realizing the Promise

The role that hybrid vehicles can play is clear, but their success at filling this role is not guaranteed. Two key things are necessary to ensure that that they live up to their promise:

1   Hybrids with the best possible conventional and electric technology need to be made available to the public.

2   Production and sales of these hybrids need to reach mass-market levels in the hundreds of thousands per year.

Automakers hold the first key. With most of the necessary hybrid and conventional technology in their hands, they will be responsible for building the best possible hybrid vehicles and sending them to the showrooms. Automakers that try to graft hybrid technology onto today’s conventional vehicles will end up producing expensive, low-performance vehicles better left in the research lab. The resulting lemons could tarnish the image of hybrid technology and discourage consumers. (just like GM is doing!)

Automakers that take the practical approach of putting the best available technology to work will provide consumers with “no compromise†vehicles. And they’ll garner a profit as the vehicles reach mass-market production levels. By leading the industry, these automakers will create a sound footing for future profitability and a solid image of environmental and corporate responsibility.

Automakers also hold some responsibility for helping hybrids to reach mass-market levels. They will need to support hybrid sales by aggressively educating dealers, service personnel, and consumers about their products. But unless education and advertising campaigns are backed up with the good products, they will simply be false attempts at capturing a green image.

Government at all levels must act to help hybrids sell well during this decade if automakers are to reach the economies of scale necessary for hybrids to become profitable. A variety of tools can provide this support, such as regulations, including fleet purchase requirements, tax credits and other financial or nonfinancial incentives, and education programs. All these measures must be carefully crafted to assure that they provide support to hybrids in proportion to the energy security and environmental gains they offer. And they must acknowledge the extent to which hybrids help pave the way for hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

Consumers also have a part to play in ensuring that hybrid sales reach mass-market levels. Assuming government and industry do their parts, this should not be a challenging task. Recent market studies indicate that at least 25% to 30% of con-sumers are already interested in purchasing a hybrid instead of a conventional vehicle. When they do, they will find themselves saving money over the life of their hybrid even as they do their part to reduce oil dependence and their impact on the environment.

8)

Read my remarks 2 posts above this one..Hybrids are not the answer..You still have to use gasoline to run them.

Guest mp3some

I agree with many of you here' date=' that Hybrid vehicles are not the final solution to this very serious issue.

[i']We must understand that it is the first step in the right path to effectively addressing the issues of Climate Change, Air Pollution, and Oil Dependency.

8)

Read my remarks 2 posts above this one..Hybrids are not the answer..You still have to use gasoline to run them.

I'm with you T... that's why I wrote what I wrote.

I am all for introducing new technologies that will improve the situation, but if you change Hybrid in my excerpt and place Ethanol, Hydrogen, Diesel, etc.. in it, it's the same formula for implementation.

We need to take it one step at a time. Edumacate the public and pave the way through legislation for corporate enterprises to bring these technologies to the masses in a responsibly profitable way.

:P

Guest Cosmigonon

I agree with many of you here' date=' that Hybrid vehicles are not the final solution to this very serious issue.

Realizing the Promise

1   Hybrids with the best possible conventional and electric technology need to be made available to the public.

2   Production and sales of these hybrids need to reach mass-market levels in the hundreds of thousands per year.

8)

Read my remarks 2 posts above this one..Hybrids are not the answer...

You're right: Music is the answer.

Guest sross

The trouble is that there is little incentive for car makers to produce more fuel efficient cars, hybrid or otherwise. If the government passed a law stating that all production vehicles had to achieve a minimum of say 30mpg, rising to 40mpg by 2010, we'd would start to move in the right direction. But that would mean less votes and donations for the government so it won't happen.

Guest swirlundergrounder

The trouble is that there is little incentive for car makers to produce more fuel efficient cars, hybrid or otherwise. If the government passed a law stating that all production vehicles had to achieve a minimum of say 30mpg, rising to 40mpg by 2010, we'd would start to move in the right direction. But that would mean less votes and donations for the government so it won't happen.

Yeah. Sadly it would seem that the American consumer and Auto makers have to be forced into any sort of change because our society here in the U.S is afraid to change the status quo...

So far the only 3 vehicles that offer the best mpg are the new civic hybrid, insight(hideous) and the toyota prius. The Insight comes in #1 but let's everyone know you're driving a "hybrid", where the civic will still give you an average of 50 miles to the gallon or more, depending on driving conditions, ect. Yes you are still using gasoline, but the only times you are using the gas motor is when you are reaching speed over 35mph, other than that the electric motor quicks in everytime your in "stop n go mode" and below 35mph.

Prius owners are getting 500-650 miles to the tank.

The new civic does an average of 550 miles to the tank.

Average cost to fill up the tank is $30 bucks.

Annual Fuel Cost @ $840 bucks.

I average 400-700 miles a week.

Average cost to fill up the tank is $40 bucks.

Weekly Fuel Cost is @ $200 bucks.

Which is approximately $600-$800 a month.

This is one of the alternatives im looking into, as spending $800-$1000 a month on fill ups is just not cutting it.

Guest swirlundergrounder

So far the only 3 vehicles that offer the best mpg are the new civic hybrid, insight(hideous) and the toyota prius. The Insight comes in #1 but let's everyone know you're driving a "hybrid", where the civic will still give you an average of 50 miles to the gallon or more, depending on driving conditions, ect. Yes you are still using gasoline, but the only times you are using the gas motor is when you are reaching speed over 35mph, other than that the electric motor quicks in everytime your in "stop n go mode" and below 35mph.

This is one of the alternatives im looking into, as spending $800-$1000 a month on fill ups is just not cutting it.

Unlike you Slammin Shaun likes spending a lot of money at the gas station for some reason. I actually think that Shaun has a smile on his face when he is pumping gas into his truck. I also think that he drives an extra 10 miles to fill up his truck at a gas station that is more expensive than the one by his house.

He also only go's to Arab oil gas stations...LOL

So far the only 3 vehicles that offer the best mpg are the new civic hybrid' date=' insight(hideous) and the toyota prius. The Insight comes in #1 but let's everyone know you're driving a "hybrid", where the civic will still give you an average of 50 miles to the gallon or more, depending on driving conditions, ect. Yes you are still using gasoline, but the only times you are using the gas motor is when you are reaching speed over 35mph, other than that the electric motor quicks in everytime your in "stop n go mode" and below 35mph.

[/quote']Unlike you Slammin Shaun likes spending a lot of money at the gas station for some reason. I actually think that Shaun has a smile on his face when he is pumping gas into his truck. I also think that he drives an extra 10 miles to fill up his truck at a gas station that is more expensive than the one by his house.

haha

well u know Americans as a whole always like everything BIG, big displacement, 10 liter vipers producing 400hp, u get the idea, everything has to be BIG!

"We doing everything real BIG - cuz that's how we do!"

Unlike you Slammin Shaun likes spending a lot of money at the gas station for some reason. I actually think that Shaun has a smile on his face when he is pumping gas into his truck. I also think that he drives an extra 10 miles to fill up his truck at a gas station that is more expensive than the one by his house.

haha

well u know Americans as a whole always like everything BIG, big displacement, 10 liter vipers producing 400hp, u get the idea, everything has to be BIG!

"We doing everything real BIG - cuz that's how we do!"

BIG displacement= BIG gas bills