Clubplanet Nightlife Community

tipping the bartender thread

Guest hiram

Guest james stratus

I do $1 for beer and $2 for drinks at the start and only if the bartender has a good attitude and was good with timing with the service. There is bartender at Nocturnal that I was referred to to get drinks from and he has been nothing but an ass and tried to rip me off each time I've tried him. He is literally the worst bartender I have every seen in the capacity of attitude and customer service. He even had the audacity the last time I went to him to automatically keep the change, making like it was the total cost of the drink when it wasn't! I'll give someone a chance maybe twice as I know how it is to deal with the public, but after that I'll just give you a big fuck you and I'm off to someone else.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Inán
Right, so I should tip just too look cool? "Look at me, I tip big!" How pathetic.

I don't know about you but I love telling people I tip 600% :D :D :D

Guest coach

How great that someone cares enough to ask...

One dollar on a drink that is $8 or more is NOT [i repeat] NOT enough. 15% is a bad tip. It is what cheap people leave because they know they must. Just because it is a drink or beer does not mean you are allowed to leave a smaller percentage!!!

To illustrate that, here is a little chart for your convenience. (Hopefully this displays righg.)

Drink 15% 18% 20%

$6.00 $0.90 $1.08 $1.20

$7.00 $1.05 $1.26 $1.40

$8.00 $1.20 $1.44 $1.60

$9.00 $1.35 $1.62 $1.80

$10.00 $1.50 $1.80 $2.00

$11.00 $1.65 $1.98 $2.20

$12.00 $1.80 $2.16 $2.40

$13.00 $1.95 $2.34 $2.60

$14.00 $2.10 $2.52 $2.80

$15.00 $2.25 $2.70 $3.00

$16.00 $2.40 $2.88 $3.20

$17.00 $2.55 $3.06 $3.40

$18.00 $2.70 $3.24 $3.60

Guest Inán

With an attitude like that, does it surprise you your drinks are watered down?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the drink is made before one has even paid for it... so what, should we palm them a $50 so they won't water it down? 99% of the times I've bught a drink at a club, it is watered down to fook. Hence, I don't drink at clubs.

Guest pod

99% of the times I've bught a drink at a club, it is watered down to fook. Hence, I don't drink at clubs.

Whatever fook is.

I'm wondering what clubs you go to? I've never gotten a hideously watered down drink at a reputable club in town. If anything, it starts out as "standard", and when I tip out well, they pour strong.

Guest Inán

99% of the times I've bught a drink at a club, it is watered down to fook. Hence, I don't drink at clubs.

Whatever fook is.

I'm wondering what clubs you go to? I've never gotten a hideously watered down drink at a reputable club in town. If anything, it starts out as "standard", and when I tip out well, they pour strong.

I didn't want to name names, but crobar was the worst of all. I've also gotten watered down drinks at Blue and Nikki Beach... are all those places considered not "reputable"? I almost never drink and am very much a lightweight... it's pretty pathetic when I've bought three drinks and I barely have a buzz. If that's what "standard" is, then jeezus... :o And I always tip nice -- I used to be a server after all, I know what that kind of job is like.

Someone, a woman, in the back bar at Cafeteria, gave me a big shot of PURE Patron, so major props to her. And props to Amika and Pearl for not watering down my wine, although I got an apple martini at Pearl a long time ago that was weak as hell.

Guest pod

Maybe they were being nice since you're a self-professed lightweight. :) I don't know, it's just weird when I've never really had a watered-down drink around here.

Guest Electric Eel

I've never had a watered down drink either. I'm a big tipper and I tend to go to the same bartender all the time. Due to this i've made friends with the bartenders at the places i frequent cause in the long run you end up saving ALOT of money.

Guest Inán

Maybe they were being nice since you're a self-professed lightweight. :) I don't know, it's just weird when I've never really had a watered-down drink around here.

Then they should be even nicer and shave down the price accordingly :P Seriously, I'm a fair person and I don't just form solid conclusions based on nothing -- but the amount of times I've gotten watered down drinks at clubs and even over dinner (like at Pearl) has just led me to realize that drinking at these places is an absolute waste of money. $12 for a little watered down shot of Patron is ridiculous considering the bottle costs $40 at the store. I don't mind spending money, I just don't like to feel ripped off.

Guest Inán

I've never had a watered down drink either. I'm a big tipper and I tend to go to the same bartender all the time. Due to this i've made friends with the bartenders at the places i frequent cause in the long run you end up saving ALOT of money.

Should this even be necessary though? I don't go out every weekend, I often go to different places and I can't remember who the bartenders are. I can see how it can be a help but I don't think people should have to befriend the bartender to get their money's worth ???

Guest pod

It's tradition. On paper a bartender is "the guy/girl who serves you drinks.."

But int clubland the job description takes on a whole new meaning.

Guest swirlundergrounder

My attitude stems from crap service and watered down drinks. The chicken came before the egg.

Having read this thread, all I can say is fuck the bartenders. 15% isn't enough? Fuck off. I'm not tipping bar staff for the 'privilege' of not having my drink watered down. Most bartenders are surly cunts; give me good service, with a smile, and then you might get a tip. Might. Remember, you're a bartender, not a fucking brain surgeon. Jesus.

If I was stil a bartender and I knew who you were and you came into my club/bar I use my right to refuse service to you. Straight up!

You have obviously never worked in the service industry b4 and have no idea of how much money or how little money people make.

You're right if someone treats you like shit don't tip them. But I don't know many bartenders who would just treat you like shit.

If a bartender treats you good you should always tip them, not 'might' tip them.

How much of a punk ass do you want to looki like in front of your girl (or guy) do you want to look like anyways?

Right, so I should tip just too look cool? "Look at me, I tip big!" How pathetic.

No..You tip to show that you have respect for people! It's pathetic that you don't have respect for people and the job that they do in order for you to get your drink on...

Guest Electric Eel

Should this even be necessary though? I don't go out every weekend, I often go to different places and I can't remember who the bartenders are. I can see how it can be a help but I don't think people should have to befriend the bartender to get their money's worth ???

I was just commenting on places i frequent. If you don't happen to frequent places then no, this wouldn't apply to you

Guest sross

With an attitude like that' date=' does it surprise you your drinks are watered down?

[/quote']

My attitude stems from crap service and watered down drinks. The chicken came before the egg.

Having read this thread, all I can say is fuck the bartenders. 15% isn't enough? Fuck off. I'm not tipping bar staff for the 'privilege' of not having my drink watered down. Most bartenders are surly cunts; give me good service, with a smile, and then you might get a tip. Might. Remember, you're a bartender, not a fucking brain surgeon. Jesus.

If I was stil a bartender and I knew who you were and you came into my club/bar I use my right to refuse service to you. Straight up!

You have obviously never worked in the service industry b4 and have no idea of how much money or how little money people make.

You're right if someone treats you like shit don't tip them. But I don't know many bartenders who would just treat you like shit.

If a bartender treats you good you should always tip them, not 'might' tip them.

How much of a punk ass do you want to looki like in front of your girl (or guy) do you want to look like anyways?

No..You tip to show that you have respect for people! It's pathetic that you don't have respect for people and the job that they do in order for you to get your drink on...

If they do their job well, I'll consider giving them a tip. I'm not going to give a tip in the hope that they do their job well next time I buy a drink from them - they should be doing it well regardless.

Guest swirlundergrounder

If they do their job well, I'll consider giving them a tip. I'm not going to give a tip in the hope that they do their job well next time I buy a drink from them - they should be doing it well regardless.

fair enough..

Guest pontifex

With an attitude like that' date=' does it surprise you your drinks are watered down?

[/quote']

fair enough..

You guys should watch reservoir dogs, theres a scene at the begining that sums this thread up perfectly

Guest LeVeL

TIPS

This is what bartenders and waitstaff live off of. Americans seem to be tip crazy but for good reason. Most servers are paid a very low (below minimum wage, sometimes called restaurant wage) hourly wage. The bulk of their paycheck is through tips provided by the people they serve. In many other countries, the waitstaff is paid a decent hourly wage and tips are just a bit of gravy on the top.

Their livelihood depends upon it. Yes, of course there are exceptions. We've experienced bad service. This could be for any number of reasons: inexperience, understaffing, bad management or a server just having a bad day.

A few tips of our own "To Insure Prompt Service":

**If the bar is crowded and the staff is a bit overwhelmed, step back for a few seconds and survey the situation. Check out where the bartender is headed and try to get in just a head of them. Stay away from the pack that is all waiting for a fresh drink. Get in with the folks that have full drinks in front of them.

**Don't have money in their face. Don't call out to them with something like "Hey Buddy, over here!". You will just be ignored. They know you're there.

**Always tip well on the first drink if you're planning on staying a while. They will usually remember that and keep a better eye on you. (My favorite)

**Know EXACTLY what you want before approaching the bar. It's also wise to have a back up drink plan in case the keg is kicked or they don't stock your brand/flavor of liquor.

Bottom line is, take care of your server/bartender and they will take care of you.

what do you expect, a freaking blowjob? jesus, stop being such a cheap bastard. do you have some kind of checklist that a bartender needs to fulfill before you "consider" tipping them? you're right, it's not rocket science. you ask for a beer, they give it to you. then you fucking tip them. it's not rocket science.

Guest pod

I was just gonna mention that. Most bartenders and waitstaff make below minimum wage since the company expects that they make it up in tips. Kind of unfair in my mind, but it is what is. I would dare to say that they should make at least the local minimum wage, since sometimes it's just a slow night or a bad crowd.

Guest sross

what do you expect, a freaking blowjob? jesus, stop being such a cheap bastard. do you have some kind of checklist that a bartender needs to fulfill before you "consider" tipping them? you're right, it's not rocket science. you ask for a beer, they give it to you. then you fucking tip them. it's not rocket science.

Exactly. If it were rocket science they would deserve a tip.

Guest swirlundergrounder

I was just gonna mention that. Most bartenders and waitstaff make below minimum wage since the company expects that they make it up in tips. Kind of unfair in my mind, but it is what is. I would dare to say that they should make at least the local minimum wage, since sometimes it's just a slow night or a bad crowd.

Yeah. Even though I took home $350-$450 dollars a day my hourly wage was $2.25.

It sucks on days that are slow, say a hurricane comes thorugh and you have to work. I've had a few days after a storm when no one went anywhere but I was stuck at work doing nothing but upkeep work and I was getting paid $2.25 an hour...LOL