Clubplanet Nightlife Community

tipping the bartender thread

Guest hiram

Guest swirlundergrounder

That would blow. Worse yet, the government insists on taxing tips.

We only had to report the tips that were made using a credit card. We didn't have to report any cash. About 1/3 to 1/2 of my tips were in cash. So when tax time came around I got a $3,000 income credit becasue my reported wages came in under $29K even though I brought home close to $60K...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest macboy

I was just gonna mention that. Most bartenders and waitstaff make below minimum wage since the company expects that they make it up in tips. Kind of unfair in my mind, but it is what is. I would dare to say that they should make at least the local minimum wage, since sometimes it's just a slow night or a bad crowd.

That's the way it's always been. I waited tables a long time ago, and I remember the hourly rate being about $1.50. Of course tips are what they live off of. No one disputes that. It would just be nice if it wasn't such a retaliatory profession. Personally, I think people in the service industry should show they are above all that and provide good service across the board. Yes, your favorite customers should get their perks, but the bad tippers shouldn't be ignored just because they are bad tippers.

Personally, I don't drink anywhere near the amount I consumed in my 20s, so developing a relationship with a bartender really isn't at the top of my list. I'll tip what I feel is appropriate. But if I'm only ordering 8 drinks in a given night, I think $20 is more than enough.

I have another question to the service folk. Does someone who works the bar at the Shore Club serving $11 drinks deserve more in tips than someone serving $5 drinks at the Deuce? The way I see it, they are doing the same job, only one bartender is (probably) better looking than the other. This the the problem I have with tipping by percentage.

Guest JMT
I have another question to the service folk. Does someone who works the bar at the Shore Club serving $11 drinks deserve more in tips than someone serving $5 drinks at the Deuce? The way I see it, they are doing the same job, only one bartender is (probably) better looking than the other. This the the problem I have with tipping by percentage.

thats a good point. unfortunately, it doesnt seem to work out that way.

Guest swirlundergrounder

I was just gonna mention that. Most bartenders and waitstaff make below minimum wage since the company expects that they make it up in tips. Kind of unfair in my mind, but it is what is. I would dare to say that they should make at least the local minimum wage, since sometimes it's just a slow night or a bad crowd.

That's the way it's always been. I waited tables a long time ago, and I remember the hourly rate being about $1.50. Of course tips are what they live off of. No one disputes that. It would just be nice if it wasn't such a retaliatory profession. Personally, I think people in the service industry should show they are above all that and provide good service across the board. Yes, your favorite customers should get their perks, but the bad tippers shouldn't be ignored just because they are bad tippers.

Personally, I don't drink anywhere near the amount I consumed in my 20s, so developing a relationship with a bartender really isn't at the top of my list. I'll tip what I feel is appropriate. But if I'm only ordering 8 drinks in a given night, I think $20 is more than enough.

i've heard that some bartenders at the Shore Club pull in $150,000 a year :o :o

I do $1 for beer and $2 for drinks at the start and only if the bartender has a good attitude and was good with timing with the service. There is bartender at Nocturnal that I was referred to to get drinks from and he has been nothing but an ass and tried to rip me off each time I've tried him. He is literally the worst bartender I have every seen in the capacity of attitude and customer service. He even had the audacity the last time I went to him to automatically keep the change, making like it was the total cost of the drink when it wasn't! I'll give someone a chance maybe twice as I know how it is to deal with the public, but after that I'll just give you a big fuck you and I'm off to someone else.

I know who you're talking about. That guy is a fuckhead.

Guest Satan

I do $1 for beer and $2 for drinks at the start and only if the bartender has a good attitude and was good with timing with the service. There is bartender at Nocturnal that I was referred to to get drinks from and he has been nothing but an ass and tried to rip me off each time I've tried him. He is literally the worst bartender I have every seen in the capacity of attitude and customer service. He even had the audacity the last time I went to him to automatically keep the change' date=' making like it was the total cost of the drink when it wasn't! I'll give someone a chance maybe twice as I know how it is to deal with the public, but after that I'll just give you a big fuck you and I'm off to someone else.

[/quote']

I know who you're talking about. That guy is a fuckhead.

rick, you need to let me know who that is. and if you see me order drinks from him, just kick me in the nuts.

as for the rest of this thread, you bitches better tip your bartenders like they deserve it. i have been before and helped out at many many many bars in this lifetime....befriend your bartender, learn their names and at the end tip them well it is customary in this country and deserved. and if you dont ill kill you.

oh and dan, i think i dated a chick whos last name was fook once. it was just comedy.

Guest missgroovethang

I do $1 for beer and $2 for drinks at the start and only if the bartender has a good attitude and was good with timing with the service. There is bartender at Nocturnal that I was referred to to get drinks from and he has been nothing but an ass and tried to rip me off each time I've tried him. He is literally the worst bartender I have every seen in the capacity of attitude and customer service. He even had the audacity the last time I went to him to automatically keep the change, making like it was the total cost of the drink when it wasn't! I'll give someone a chance maybe twice as I know how it is to deal with the public, but after that I'll just give you a big fuck you and I'm off to someone else.

There is a fairly new book out by the writer's of Sex and The City:

"Maybe He's Just Not Into You" (LOL)

Guest addictedtospace

Here are some tips.

1. Don't be an ASSHOLE when ordering drinks.

2. First drink, give a customary tip percentage.

3. If the drink is "More Potent" than usual, return to the bartender and give him a bigger tip for your next drink. (This is not a one trip process)

4. This is a cycle that continues. It's a matter of building a Consumer/Provider relationship.

5. Remember the prices are set by the Club not that bartender, phrase "don't shoot the messenger" applies.

6. Your are not any better than the bartender, since you probably have a job that serves some one else. So remeber that if your an Asshole, thats the treatment your geing to get.

Best Space Bartenders: Greg, Dennis, Mike Dog, Christina, Both Rays. I'm sorry if I forgot anyone else. Its fucking late.

Guest james stratus

Here are some tips.

5. Remember the prices are set by the Club not that bartender, phrase "don't shoot the messenger" applies.

There is problem I have seen lately at clubs downtown only where one of the many bartenders in a club will inflate the price of a drink by $2-$3 over the standard price. They bet on the factor that you are new to the club and their bar and the whole stick to one bartender thing since most people pretty much stay in one area of the club. I have never ever seen this before anywhere and it is really a bad practice that shines badly on a venue.

Guest michael^heaven

---I would def say that I tip bartenders better, by far, than anyone else that relys on gratuity for a living. That's just me. I have some general, personal, rules that I go by...including, but not limited to, friendliness/eagerness of the bartender, potency of the drinks, drink price, my night's budget...just to name a few.

Best bartender of all time>>>

192493705_75f281e09b.jpg

Scott@S3\/3N-Dallas 8)

Guest redman

I have always tipped my bartender really good....Because just like some people have said..If you take care of them they will take care of you..I get many drinks for free and I always get free water I spend like $40 dollars in drinks and drink like if spending $100..And In space I have like 7 big tipper cards.. ;D

Guest Devilicious

With an attitude like that, does it surprise you your drinks are watered down?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the drink is made before one has even paid for it... so what, should we palm them a $50 so they won't water it down? 99% of the times I've bught a drink at a club, it is watered down to fook. Hence, I don't drink at clubs.

How about the free shots I gave you at Shine, were those watered down too?

Another thing for me... I never expected tips from my friends. It was always enough just to see them.

Bartending is clearly not brain surgery, but I would dare guess neither is the work of anyone posting here. Many people can't handle it. It is difficult work, it's a lot of stress, and your skin gets thick very quickly.

Also, if your bartender gives you something, take it. You're not obligated to pay for it or tip them if they simply hand you a shot. But don't be a jerk and ask what's in it. Just trust them, and drink it.

And to clarify: 15% is a bad tip, but if you have gotten bad service it's perfectly acceptable to leave a bad tip. I have been known to tip 10% in restaurants where servers are rude, condescending, or just unattentive. Same goes for bars, but if they are working their ass off and just busy, you should still tip well even if you have to wait. It's not their fault everyone else wants their attention too.

Guest macboy

And to clarify: 15% is a bad tip, but if you have gotten bad service it's perfectly acceptable to leave a bad tip. I have been known to tip 10% in restaurants where servers are rude, condescending, or just unattentive. Same goes for bars, but if they are working their ass off and just busy, you should still tip well even if you have to wait. It's not their fault everyone else wants their attention too.

Restaurants are a whole different story, and it sucks that most south beach restaurants automatically add the tip. On more than one occasion I've had to call the manager over to adjust the tip for incredibly inferior service. Normally I don't want to embarrass the waiter in front of his boss, but you've got no other choice.

But, at the same time your tip goes to the bus boys and bartenders who made drinks brought to your table. You don't want to fuck them over because the waiter is an ass. So you can't cut your tip too much.

Guest pod

For sure, most restaurants I know have the tip split to the crew in back as well. A lot of clubs too. The bartenders and VIP girls are pretty much required to each leave a couple of bucks for the sweepers and barbacks. When I was a light tech and got paid in cash at a club, I usually left a few bucks for the cleanup gang as well.

Guest Devilicious

Restaurants are a whole different story, and it sucks that most south beach restaurants automatically add the tip. On more than one occasion I've had to call the manager over to adjust the tip for incredibly inferior service. Normally I don't want to embarrass the waiter in front of his boss, but you've got no other choice.

But, at the same time your tip goes to the bus boys and bartenders who made drinks brought to your table. You don't want to fuck them over because the waiter is an ass. So you can't cut your tip too much.

That is definitely important to note. Barbacks and Porters [i think that's the appropriate term] are some of the hardest working individuals in a club, and most deserving.

As for your other question, well drinks at Shore Club and Delano are made with better liquor, in a better environment, better presentation, in theory a better bartender and better drink. I know it's not always like this, but the idea is that your total experience is worth more, including the tip.

Guest Inán

Correct me if I'm wrong but the drink is made before one has even paid for it... so what, should we palm them a $50 so they won't water it down? 99% of the times I've bught a drink at a club, it is watered down to fook. Hence, I don't drink at clubs.

LOL, what? ??? I went to Shine exactly one time during its existence, to see Colette, and I didn't have any shots -- I had half a glass of red wine, and I didn't get it from you. I've never bought any drinks from you period. That's the only night I've ever even seen you in person. Please check your facts before you get snippy with me, kthnx ;D

Guest swirlundergrounder

Another thing for me... I never expected tips from my friends. It was always enough just to see them.

Bartending is clearly not brain surgery, but I would dare guess neither is the work of anyone posting here. Many people can't handle it. It is difficult work, it's a lot of stress, and your skin gets thick very quickly.

Also, if your bartender gives you something, take it. You're not obligated to pay for it or tip them if they simply hand you a shot. But don't be a jerk and ask what's in it. Just trust them, and drink it.

That attitude of your will not work in this town. Don't you get it? it's about ME ME ME!! LOL... :P

I think you gave me something a couple of times and I had asked you 'what was in it' and then I tipped the glass over to get a better look at what was inside of it and I gave a good sniff before I drank it. Funny you give something to someone and people think you are poisoning them...lol

Guest pod

kthnx? That a derivative of anthrx?

(Internet speak happens to be one of my pet peeves.)

I know what the bartenders and club service guys go through. I've never tended bar, but I've done and do enough work behind-the-scenes in the club industry to appreciate the shit these guys and girls have to go through night in and night out. I'd say about half the customers they get are "nice", with maybe ten percent of that half being "stellar". The other fifty percent out of the whole customer base ranges from 'eh' to 'christ what a dick!'. You know the type, they forget there's 20 other people at that particular section, and think they need their "90 percent booze/10 mixer" drink right now.

And bear in mind, some venues do regulate closely, either through management or the new RFID pour systems, the strength of drinks. Watered down might just be company policy in some venues. So the bartender in that case isn't at fault.

Guest Inán

kthnx? That a derivative of anthrx?

(Internet speak happens to be one of my pet peeves.)

I know what the bartenders and club service guys go through. I've never tended bar, but I've done and do enough work behind-the-scenes in the club industry to appreciate the shit these guys and girls have to go through night in and night out. I'd say about half the customers they get are "nice", with maybe ten percent of that half being "stellar". The other fifty percent out of the whole customer base ranges from 'eh' to 'christ what a dick!'. You know the type, they forget there's 20 other people at that particular section, and think they need their "90 percent booze/10 mixer" drink right now.

ha ha ::)

For the record, no one is forcing anyone to be a bartender. People pick that job on their own. If it's that awful to deal with rude people, change jobs! I had to deal with loads of unbelievably rude people when I worked in restaurants. One can have sympathy to a degree, but rather than play victim, how about getting a job where you don't have to deal with that kind of crap? That's the nature of the service industry unfortunately.

And bear in mind, some venues do regulate closely, either through management or the new RFID pour systems, the strength of drinks. Watered down might just be company policy in some venues. So the bartender in that case isn't at fault.

I totally agree. I suspect some liquors are already watered down in the bottle.

Guest pod

Watering down in the bottle is highly illegal. The alcohol control boards in a lot of places will prosecute for that. Not only is it disrespectful to the customer, it's fraud.

The way clubs purchase and serve alcohol is closely monitored. One venue here in town was nailed for purchasing from the store rather than a licensed distributor.

Not to say it doesn't happen, but it isn't as common as some people think due to the harsh penalties.

As for choosing the job of bartender, for the most part, the guys and girls I know who do it, like the job, and take the lumps since the pay is pretty good, plus you get a lot of take-home money right away, plus the good customers and the good times overall make up for the jackasses. And after awhile, most good bartenders I know get a 'following' to the point where the jackasses get screened out.

Guest Inán

Watering down in the bottle is highly illegal. The alcohol control boards in a lot of places will prosecute for that. Not only is it disrespectful to the customer, it's fraud.

The way clubs purchase and serve alcohol is closely monitored. One venue here in town was nailed for purchasing from the store rather than a licensed distributor.

Not to say it doesn't happen, but it isn't as common as some people think due to the harsh penalties.

I don't know about how common it is, but I know it has happened to me at least one time. I often watch the bartender make the drink, sometimes I see the Patron get mixed with a lot of something else, although one time I saw it poured straight from the bottle, and it was weak. I can't remember where that was, but it was definitely at one of the places I mentioned previously.

As for choosing the job of bartender, for the most part, the guys and girls I know who do it, like the job, and take the lumps since the pay is pretty good, plus you get a lot of take-home money right away, plus the good customers and the good times overall make up for the jackasses. And after awhile, most good bartenders I know get a 'following' to the point where the jackasses get screened out.

That's good then :)

Guest LeVeL

You know what will solve the problem, an Automated Bartender...

100num5.jpg

robobar.jpg

3060000000054270.JPG?0.6657781474146102

THat way all the issues are resolved and in the end the Customer is Happy and the Business is Happy cause now all the money made on the bar plus tips go to the House.