Clubplanet Nightlife Community

tipping the bartender thread

Guest hiram

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest slamminshaun

Seems to me I get the WORST bartending or table service whenever I come to Miami, and I pay twice the price. (Exceptions: Tal at Shine and Assassin at Space) It seems that there is more of an entitlement mentality that exists within the service industry in Miami.

I was just down there again last Wednesday....NONE of the bartenders, waiters, waitresses, etc., etc., would last one day on the job where I live. You expect a tip? Well, I expect less attitude. You're the professional, I'm the customer....you treat me professionally, you get compensated properly...NOT the other way around. Get a clue, or get a new job.

Guest macboy

I'll agree with shaun as far as waiters are concerned. The majority of waitstaff down here don't know the first thing about proper service. None would last in a New York restaurant. Worst of the worst is south beach. Exception is Emerils. Honestly, if every waiter could just spend one day there to see how its supposed to be done, the south beach dining experience would be all the better.

But I digress...hey what about joints where they refill the bottles with inferior liquor? Not naming names, but there is one place I will never order a vodka tonic from again, because I just know it's not grey goose.

Guest LeVeL

I have had my share of waiters that have been just awful but I have had my share of waiters that have provided great service.

I just ate at Smith and Wollensky a couple of weekends ago and the service was great, never did I had to ask for a thing, the waiter just made everythign smooth and the dining experience was spectacular.

Guest coach

I don't know, maybe they just don't like your hairstyle. We usually get good service all around, bartenders and waitstaff. Bad service is definitely the exception.

Guest lyrik

I'll agree with shaun as far as waiters are concerned. The majority of waitstaff down here don't know the first thing about proper service. None would last in a New York restaurant. Worst of the worst is south beach. Exception is Emerils. Honestly, if every waiter could just spend one day there to see how its supposed to be done, the south beach dining experience would be all the better.

The food service industry down here is hands down the absolute WORST I have ever come across...and when you go out of State you really notice the difference and the meaning of the word hospitality...as for bartenders and people as such...I've had good and bad. Friends always take care of me...the few times at Shine Tal and Jon always hooked it up...Major over WMC charged me a peasants wage for an entire afternoon and evening of drinking and I wasn't sippin' slowly on a martini or two here and there...the guys at Blue rock so I have no real complaints on that.

me and mine figured out a great idea...we bring our dog when we eat on lincoln...the waitstaff know we're locals. not exactly cause & effect...but for the most part we get great service. plus the dog is really cute, that helps too.

Guest pod

I'm not a big restaurant freak, but I've been lucky that when I do go out to eat, I usually get a good waiter/waitress. Admittedly, there's been times where I've wanted to adjust the tip on the receipt, but I'm usually in a hurry to leave so I just leave it alone.

I do $1 for beer and $2 for drinks at the start and only if the bartender has a good attitude and was good with timing with the service. There is bartender at Nocturnal that I was referred to to get drinks from and he has been nothing but an ass and tried to rip me off each time I've tried him. He is literally the worst bartender I have every seen in the capacity of attitude and customer service. He even had the audacity the last time I went to him to automatically keep the change, making like it was the total cost of the drink when it wasn't! I'll give someone a chance maybe twice as I know how it is to deal with the public, but after that I'll just give you a big fuck you and I'm off to someone else.

I know who you're talking about. That guy is a fuckhead.

rick, you need to let me know who that is. and if you see me order drinks from him, just kick me in the nuts.

as for the rest of this thread, you bitches better tip your bartenders like they deserve it. i have been before and helped out at many many many bars in this lifetime....befriend your bartender, learn their names and at the end tip them well it is customary in this country and deserved. and if you dont ill kill you.

oh and dan, i think i dated a chick whos last name was fook once. it was just comedy.

The black dude with the bald head in the bar by the bathroom in the patio. He straight up rips people off. Every time you order a Redbull vodka you get what is essentially a Redbull with a splash of vodka. And on top of that, he automatically takes his tip. I don't know if he's done that to you, but it has happened to me many times and some of my friends. Whenever I'm at NOC I only go to Broy.

While on the topic of pretentious and arrogant bartenders, I have to mention that jackass at Nikki beach, his name is Paul, he automatically takes his tip too. Never go to him. What a fucker.

Guest r3nz0

Wait, you're supposed to tip your bartenders? Fuck me. I always just gave Talmage a slap on the ass and that was enough for her.

Guest pod

Another good point. I always stick to the same bartenders at any club. Two or three at a big venue like Space, maybe 1 at a small venue. I'll diversify sometimes if I'm in a rush, but on average, 90 percent of my drink traffic comes from the same bartenders, whom after awhile, and obviously with nice tips, will pour strong for the venue, or toss ya a freebie.

Workin' the bar is a service job sure, but it's a different ball of wax than waiting tables or being a cashier.

Guest james stratus

I do $1 for beer and $2 for drinks at the start and only if the bartender has a good attitude and was good with timing with the service. There is bartender at Nocturnal that I was referred to to get drinks from and he has been nothing but an ass and tried to rip me off each time I've tried him. He is literally the worst bartender I have every seen in the capacity of attitude and customer service. He even had the audacity the last time I went to him to automatically keep the change' date=' making like it was the total cost of the drink when it wasn't! I'll give someone a chance maybe twice as I know how it is to deal with the public, but after that I'll just give you a big fuck you and I'm off to someone else.

[/quote']

I know who you're talking about. That guy is a fuckhead.

rick, you need to let me know who that is. and if you see me order drinks from him, just kick me in the nuts.

as for the rest of this thread, you bitches better tip your bartenders like they deserve it. i have been before and helped out at many many many bars in this lifetime....befriend your bartender, learn their names and at the end tip them well it is customary in this country and deserved. and if you dont ill kill you.

oh and dan, i think i dated a chick whos last name was fook once. it was just comedy.

The black dude with the bald head in the bar by the bathroom in the patio. He straight up rips people off. Every time you order a Redbull vodka you get what is essentially a Redbull with a splash of vodka. And on top of that, he automatically takes his tip. I don't know if he's done that to you, but it has happened to me many times and some of my friends. Whenever I'm at NOC I only go to Broy.

While on the topic of pretentious and arrogant bartenders, I have to mention that jackass at Nikki beach, his name is Paul, he automatically takes his tip too. Never go to him. What a fucker.

Yup, that's him! The first time out of the 2 times I went to him I opened a tab and at the end he gave me a reciept that was basically a blank peice of wet paper. I asked him what the total was because neither I or anyone else around me could read it. He just said "Sign it, I'm busy"! I was so pissed that I could barely keep my composure.

After that I would still go to that bar 9 times out of 10, but for the cute black girl who is nice and a good bartender. The only reason I went to the guy the second time was because she went off somewhere. He ended up charging me $12 instead of the $9 the girl was charging me, and kept the change out the $15 I gave him! Once again I was like WTF! It's getting hard these days to keep my record of not getting thrown out of clubs :P

Guest Devilicious

With an attitude like that, does it surprise you your drinks are watered down?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the drink is made before one has even paid for it... so what, should we palm them a $50 so they won't water it down? 99% of the times I've bught a drink at a club, it is watered down to fook. Hence, I don't drink at clubs.

How about the free shots I gave you at Shine, were those watered down too?

LOL, what? ??? I went to Shine exactly one time during its existence, to see Colette, and I didn't have any shots -- I had half a glass of red wine, and I didn't get it from you. I've never bought any drinks from you period. That's the only night I've ever even seen you in person. Please check your facts before you get snippy with me, kthnx ;D

And I worked exactly every night we were open. The specific night you were there the owner ordered a round of shots for the folks behind the booth, and that included you. You were one of the people who received a shot... whether you took it or not I have no idea... I know I took mine. The only "fact" incorrect about my previous post was my usage of the plural rather than the singular. You were nice in person, why the attitude when you get in front of a computer screen? If anyone was snippy here it was you.... being judgemental and rude prior to my post.

Guest r3nz0

Why don't both of you girls stfu and, instead, begin to lick some whipped cream and chocolate syrup off my nuts. Mmmmm.

And happy Tuesday to all! :-*

Guest Devilicious

Wait, you're supposed to tip your bartenders? Fuck me. I always just gave Talmage a slap on the ass and that was enough for her.

lmao... those were the days. I used to get so mad before I knew who it was grabbing me.

Guest james stratus

Correct me if I'm wrong but the drink is made before one has even paid for it... so what, should we palm them a $50 so they won't water it down? 99% of the times I've bught a drink at a club, it is watered down to fook. Hence, I don't drink at clubs.

LOL, what? ??? I went to Shine exactly one time during its existence, to see Colette, and I didn't have any shots -- I had half a glass of red wine, and I didn't get it from you. I've never bought any drinks from you period. That's the only night I've ever even seen you in person. Please check your facts before you get snippy with me, kthnx ;D

And I worked exactly every night we were open. The specific night you were there the owner ordered a round of shots for the folks behind the booth, and that included you. You were one of the people who received a shot... whether you took it or not I have no idea... I know I took mine. The only "fact" incorrect about my previous post was my usage of the plural rather than the singular. You were nice in person, why the attitude when you get in front of a computer screen? If anyone was snippy here it was you.... being judgemental and rude prior to my post.

I shall interveneon this and say that I don't think Tal was being snippy and that Tal might be confusing Inan for someone else or Inan possibly forgot. Either way, no board fighting ladies ;)

Guest james stratus

That son of a bitch should not be bartending. He has no people skills whatsoever' date=' and can't mix a drink for his life. They need to get rid of his ass. >:(

[/quote']

All too true! And I'll resurrect the term "Asshat" for that guy!

Guest lyrik

That son of a bitch should not be bartending. He has no people skills whatsoever, and can't mix a drink for his life. They need to get rid of his ass. >:(

All too true! And I'll resurrect the term "Asshat" for that guy!

On those rare occasions that a bartender is trying to fuck ya over and you opened a tab and catch it (the blank or incorrect amount on the receipt) and they are refusing to hear you out or help...I just tell them you know what keep the receipt....I'm not signing it and I'll dispute the charges in the morning - works every time either way...either they clear shit up....or my card gives me ALL the cash back....simple...thank God we have only had to do that twice in the last few years with bars/clubs.

Guest Inán

You seemed pretty certain I took it when you were asking me if it was watered down earlier ::) And no, I did not take it, I don't recall even getting one in my hand. I was sober, so it's pretty weird hearing about these things that supposedly happened that I have no recollection of.

And what attitude, may I ask? The fact that I am disappointed that I get weak drinks most of the time when I go out? That I find it downright aggravating to spend $12 on lime juice with a splash of Patron in it? Am I supposed to be happy about that? That's not judgmental and an 'attitude' and being rude, that's fact, and my reaction to feeling ripped off. And how is that an attack on you again? I didn't mention Shine, or you, when asked about it. So what's the problem?

Guest pod

I think what it is coming down to is that a lot of people on this thread have had satisfactory experiences at the bar, and you haven't. Just pointing it out, not passing judgement.

Guest sross

I'm not a big restaurant freak, but I've been lucky that when I do go out to eat, I usually get a good waiter/waitress. Admittedly, there's been times where I've wanted to adjust the tip on the receipt, but I'm usually in a hurry to leave so I just leave it alone.

I've found the restaurant service to be pretty good in Miami. Perhaps waiters and waitress know that their job is kind of crappy and work hard for their tip, whereas barstaff think their job is cool and therefore deserve a tip regardless?