Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DUI checkpoints for coconut grove and south miami

Guest obby

Guest obby

SOUTH MIAMI

DUI CHECKPOINT

COMING JULY 22

The South Miami Police Department will have a multiagency DUI patrol at 8 p.m. July 22.

The checkpoint will extend from Red Road to Southwest 80th Street along U.S. 1 and on Bird Road from Southwest 57th to 67th avenues. There also will be enforcement on Sunset Drive from Red Road to Southwest 67th Avenue.

With the help of eight police agency partners, it will be the city's largest DUI patrol to date.

Police also will conduct smaller patrols near U.S. 1 and Sunset Drive throughout July.

Guest LeVeL

This thread should be a sticky since this is a nightlife Board and the info benefits all of us who drink.

Guest sross

because they're not trying to see how many drunks they can catch...they're trying to discourage folks from drinking & driving.

Great, so they discourage drink drivers for one weekend only for them to get hammered and drive home unimpeded the following weekend. Genius! ::)

Surely having random check points would be far more effective?

Guest sross

If the cops came into Space, bought everyone drinks and then stopped them for drink driving, I think that would be entrapment. I guess they just want to maximise exposure so that people think they are doing something about the drink driving problem?

Guest JMT

apotheosis is right. random checkpoints would only affect the people who were actually stopped. by advertising them, they potentially affect anyone who sees the announcement. the overall goal is to prevent people from driving drunk, not hope to catch a few that do.

Guest pontifex

I wonder why there doing this in Coconut Grove. I know theres a lot of college students down there, but you'd think if they were serious about it they would set up a check point on one of the causeways and nab people coming home from the beach

Guest sross

apotheosis is right. random checkpoints would only affect the people who were actually stopped. by advertising them, they potentially affect anyone who sees the announcement. the overall goal is to prevent people from driving drunk, not hope to catch a few that do.

Yeah fair point, although wouldn't drink drivers just take an alternative route?

If there were DUI checkpoints each weekend on the main routes out of South Beach I think people would soon catch on that the police are serious.

Guest macboy

The only thing worse than a drunk driver is a driver who doesn't think he's drunk, especially if he's driving other people home. There are a lot more of those people out there. Maybe a few on this board as well? Seriously, just designate a driver. Don't put others' lives on the line just because you think you can handle it.

Guest sross

The only thing worse than a drunk driver is a driver who doesn't think he's drunk, especially if he's driving other people home. There are a lot more of those people out there. Maybe a few on this board as well? Seriously, just designate a driver. Don't put others' lives on the line just because you think you can handle it.

So-called 'buzz driving'? - have a few drinks, get a bit tipsy, wait a couple of hours and then drive home thinking that reaction times and spatial awareness hasn't been affected.

Guest james stratus

Yeah fair point, although wouldn't drink drivers just take an alternative route?

If there were DUI checkpoints each weekend on the main routes out of South Beach I think people would soon catch on that the police are serious.

It's the opposite actually. You'll find a crew of cops hanging out on Macarthur Causeway just over the bridge on the way back to the beach each Sunday morning. More than likely to catch people coming from after hours at Space and Nocturnal.

I guess they just want to maximise exposure so that people think they are doing something about the drink driving problem?

Well that wouldn't be a bad idea. Since 29 days out of the month they do nothing but eat doughnuts and pull us over for doing 3 mph over the speed limit. Meanwhile, there are people dying out there. They're never around when you need them. I swear, I fucking hate cops.

Guest durrtylexx

I wonder why there doing this in Coconut Grove. I know theres a lot of college students down there, but you'd think if they were serious about it they would set up a check point on one of the causeways and nab people coming home from the beach

i've seen dui checkpoints on 195