Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Sidekick 3 vs Treo

Ok so im in the market for a new phone and am considering the two above, especially since i think my computer fried in the black out we had/have up here.

What i'd use it for: Text, instant message, email, and least of all phone. Those of you that know me.....know how much i love talking on the phone.

I was talking to the dude at T-Mobile and he suggested the Sidekick since its got unlimited texts and shtuff like that. I'm kinda leaning toward it but dont feel like jumping on the sidekick bandwagon like every teenager is.

I also dont want to spend $600 on a stupid phone that is basically a mini laptop. I dont need word, powerpoint and excel. I use them plenty at work thankyouverymuch.

So lets hear them opinions.....Thanks!!

Guest lulamishka

My gadget-loving geek of a coworker got rid of his Treo for a Sidekick 3. If that means anything for ya...

Oh yeah and what the hell is up with all these new names? Are they new peeps? Sheesh im gone for a couple weeks and CJ's got a new population.

nah its just mess with name week. saleen started it then i did then terry lol

Guest pod

The Sidekick line is largely for kids. Treos are for people who don't know any better. The MDA rocks since it's a rebadged HTC Wizard, and the mack currently is:

nokia-e61.jpg

UMTS, W-CDMA, Quad-band GSM, Wi-Fi, and VoIP.

Guest pod

But if you look at the marketing and the design of the UI on the Sidekick, it's squarely aimed at the teenage market. The E61 I pictured above is a full-on PDA not slaved to any specific network.

Guest macboy

No doubt the sidekick is marketed towards the younger set. But I've used all versions of the sidekick, and have the Sidekick 3 right now. Value-wise, you are not going to get a better deal for unlimited text, IM, and web. It's a $20 add-on to any monthly plan. I don't IM that much, but for those that do, you can use AIM, MSN and Yahoo simultaneously. The texting, email and web are great IMO. The only thing is, your external email isn't push like blackberry, so you do have to prompt the app if you need to check emails quickly, or you can forward to a built in email account which IS push.

I do think the ringtones are a big deal to the kiddies. I never buy them. So there really isn't any extra cost for me.

Bluetooth is great, and it allows me to use the calendar and contacts apps while i'm on the phone.

I give it a thumbs up and would choose it hands down over a treo.

Guest ILLMATIC

The Sidekick line is largely for kids. Treos are for people who don't know any better. The MDA rocks since it's a rebadged HTC Wizard, and the mack currently is:

nokia-e61.jpg

I only trust Nokia! Everything else is Gar-bage!

Guest Devilicious

T-mobile MDA

I was looking at the MDA but its got extra stuff that i dont really need plus it was more monthly than the sidekick.

more monthly? That's weird. Mine is on a regular t-mobile plan, my total bill is around 70 per month [and that accommodates my ridiculous texting needs]

It does have stuff that I don't need, but I refuse to buy a new phone more often than once every two years, so I bought the current top of the line product, knowing it would treat me right for some time.

What I really like about the phone is the size. I need a keypad but must not have a cumbersome device. It's the perfect solution for me :)

No doubt the sidekick is marketed towards the younger set. But I've used all versions of the sidekick, and have the Sidekick 3 right now. Value-wise, you are not going to get a better deal for unlimited text, IM, and web. It's a $20 add-on to any monthly plan. I don't IM that much, but for those that do, you can use AIM, MSN and Yahoo simultaneously. The texting, email and web are great IMO. The only thing is, your external email isn't push like blackberry, so you do have to prompt the app if you need to check emails quickly, or you can forward to a built in email account which IS push.

I do think the ringtones are a big deal to the kiddies. I never buy them. So there really isn't any extra cost for me.

Bluetooth is great, and it allows me to use the calendar and contacts apps while i'm on the phone.

I'm with mac on this one. *lol* I really dont need the extra gizmos, sidekick has everything i need at a pretty decent deal. Its still kind of a toss up with the MDA though. Mainly cause of the design of the MDA since its a bit smaller than the Sidekick. Though i do like the plan for the Sidekick better.

Tal, the add on for the MDA is $29 vs $20 for the sidekick and i dont think its got as many unlimited features either.

That nokia looks pretty dope but i dont think i'll use it to its full capacity plus im sure its a fortune. Im not paying more than $325. I'll make a decision this weekend.

Guest ramon

nokia-e61.jpg

UMTS/W-CDMA band doesnt work in the USA.

Guest Devilicious

gotcha... I didn't bother paying for the internet service since the beach is going wifi anyway :)

plus, there are some things I dislike about my phone. Like windows.

Guest ramon

I'm with mac on this one. *lol* I really dont need the extra gizmos, sidekick has everything i need at a pretty decent deal. Its still kind of a toss up with the MDA though. Mainly cause of the design of the MDA since its a bit smaller than the Sidekick. Though i do like the plan for the Sidekick better.

Tal, the add on for the MDA is $29 vs $20 for the sidekick and i dont think its got as many unlimited features either.

That nokia looks pretty dope but i dont think i'll use it to its full capacity plus im sure its a fortune. Im not paying more than $325. I'll make a decision this weekend.

sidekick still has the best keyboard .. i think you would be pretty happy with it jackie. :)

Guest macboy

That's what I was going to say. What's so great about technology that you can't even use yet?

As for the MDA, awesome phone but yes, ten bucks more expensive on the data side. I do happen to like the sidekick keyboard better, though. One thing to note: the new keyboard is hard lacquer, whereas the old ones were rubberized. Many women noted that due to the change, they could no longer type using their nails. So if you have long nails it may be an issue. Try out the keyboard at the store, Jackie.

Guest ramon

It will soon. ;D

no from what i understand its a different band .. but who cares you get wifi (which lets you do both data/voice).. and who knows when cingular/t-mobile will launch 3G here .. they are still trying to get their EDGE shit straight. I think EVDO rev A will be the next big wireless thing take off unless Mobile WiMAX becomes a reality in the near future.

It will soon. ;D

no from what i understand its a different band .. but who cares you get wifi (which lets you do both data/voice).. and who knows when cingular/t-mobile will launch 3G here .. they are still trying to get their EDGE shit straight. I think EVDO rev A will be the next big wireless thing take off unless Mobile WiMAX becomes a reality in the near future.

Thats too much garbage for me. I'm simple. I think sidekick it is, though i hate having the same phone that a 16 year old has. UGH. Oh well, im not dishing out extra money.

Guest spinderella7713

It will soon. ;D

Thats too much garbage for me. I'm simple. I think sidekick it is, though i hate having the same phone that a 16 year old has. UGH. Oh well, im not dishing out extra money.

good choice