Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Utah teen sets new text-message record

Guest JMT

Guest JMT

OMG -- UT tn XLS @ txtng

Translation for non-texters: Ohmigod, Utah teen excels at texting

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- A Utah teen with fingers of fury is once again the speed text-messaging king of the world.

Ben Cook, 18, of Provo, returned to the top of the cell phone text-messaging heap Friday at a Denver text-off, blazing through a 160-character standardized message in 42.22 seconds.

The phrase used for purposes of professional, competition texting is: "The razor-toothed piranhas of the genera Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus are the most ferocious freshwater fish in the world. In reality they seldom attack a human."

The feat was recorded on video and scored by an official timekeeper, validating it for Guinness World Records purposes, said Sara Spaulding, spokeswoman for the event sponsor, Jump Mobile.

Text messaging, already popular with teenagers, is becoming increasingly popular in the United States, jumping from 2.9 billion a month in 2004 to about 7.3 billion a month in December 2005, according to a survey by the CTIA, the wireless industry's trade group.

Cook in 2004 snagged the world record by texting the official phrase in 57.75 seconds, a record that soon fell. Before Cook's feat Friday, the record was held by a 23-year-old woman from Singapore at 43.24 seconds, which was set on June 27, 2004.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/29/sms.king.ap/index.html

Guest DrFired

Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus

I hate my predictive text, it doesn't have ASS. I use that word quite a lot thankyouverymuch.

Neither of those are in my predictive text ???

LOL at Jackie.

I think James Zabiela could try out for this competition.

I hate my predictive text, it doesn't have ASS. I use that word quite a lot thankyouverymuch.

LOL at Jackie.

Sheesh...he hasn't sent ME any text messages. You tell him im very disappointed. Not as disappointed as i am that he didn't say goodbye.

Guest DrFired

LOL at Jackie.

Sheesh...he hasn't sent ME any text messages. You tell him im very disappointed. Not as disappointed as i am that he didn't say goodbye.

I will relay the msg.

Guest Devilicious

Predictive blows.

yep, but I like what's on my current phone... you can select it by pressing a button or just continue to type. I also like that it picks up on my slang. For example when I type "wh" it senses the word "whatcha" because I tend to use that rather than writing "what are you" But competitive texting? I have to say that's a bit much

Guest b00tyman07

bet theres a british kid that could kill the record, my ex was from wales and her texts were damn near thesis papers since they message way more than we do, annoyed the shit outta me. keep it short

i hate predicative text. esp when it turns on for no reason. and then u try to figure out how to disable it as ur stuck on US-1 cussing in spanglish at the moron that just cut u off.

ughhhhhhhhh

ok end rant. ;D