Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bang Music Festival!!! Miami, FL Nov. 11, 2006

Guest galacticgruv

In most festivals, you usually have to book a few local acts as a gesture of kindness. Whether they are good or bad, it's just something that is always done. Plus, in the case of Miami, a lot of our locals are on global booking agencies, and are often put in as a package.

I'd offer them 1 hour opening slots and free beer, I wouldn't pay any local dj a dime, they add ZERO to the festival.

What I learned going to GG was to show up late!!!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pod

What I learned at GG is that I need to stay in a plastic bubble before it. Shawn's wife said I looked like I got beat up or something.

;D

Debating the pay is for another thread, but nonetheless, the top locals in any festival get slots.

Level brings up another aspect, the one of support. Too many people will throw a hissy fit if their one specific artist isn't booked at a festival...for example, since we were booking rock acts for GG, I wanted to see Rammstein, but I knew it just wasn't gonna happen. They're a niche act outside of Europe..

Throwing a fest is a complicated piece of business.

Guest Major

Daft Punk!!!!!!!!!!!! Duran Duran!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daft Punk received rave reviews for their performance at Coachella earlier this year. The duo from Space opened up the show with 'Robot Rock' from their new album Human After All. They also played some Classics from Homework 'Da Funk' 'Around the world' and 'One more time' & 'Nightvision' from Discovery. Should be a great show!

I saw Duran Duran a few years ago in Tampa. It was a brilliant show, pure nostalga, it was great to hear 'Rio' 'Hungry Like The Wolf' lots of energy, they can still rock it. Oh, and they're from my hometown, Birmingham. Look forward to seeing them again.

Thanks for bringing these two acts to Miami.

Guest LiquidX

When we did GG this past March, and again in Vegas on Labor Day, we kept it "mostly electronic". ;D

Nevermind the stunning success of GG 2 weekends ago in the UK.

Mmmm but GG has been a UK identity for years now.. its been going on since the festival explosions right after the year of TRance as some called it.. the huge success of Gatecrasher Summer Sound Festivals and the reputable Creamfields.. any festival in the UK will look stunning compared to american festivals.. the idea is how far and succesfull the festivals here in America goo.. Bang! is really surprising me.

Guest brasiliandrunk

What I learned at GG is that I need to stay in a plastic bubble before it. Shawn's wife said I looked like I got beat up or something.

Level brings up another aspect, the one of support. Too many people will throw a hissy fit if their one specific artist isn't booked at a festival...for example, since we were booking rock acts for GG, I wanted to see Rammstein, but I knew it just wasn't gonna happen. They're a niche act outside of Europe..

Throwing a fest is a complicated piece of business.

RAMMSTEIN FUCKING RULES... :) I want to see prodigy again...

Guest james stratus

Looks more like a Space Fest than anything alse, and a poor excuse of what EDM festivals used to be. :(

Guest LiquidX

Looks more like a Space Fest than anything alse, and a poor excuse of what EDM festivals used to be. :(

Funny cause the Festival doesnt label itself strictly EDM.. its more like a version of Coachella here in Florida.. even the festivals in Europe, they've been doing that for years now.. variety. People are open minded in the music scene.. someone that likes EDM its open for others stuff as well.. best of all, you got multiple stages, you chooose, you wont be forced someone you wont want to see. ;)

Guest james stratus

Funny cause the Festival doesnt label itself strictly EDM.. its more like a version of Coachella here in Florida.. even the festivals in Europe, they've been doing that for years now.. variety. People are open minded in the music scene.. someone that likes EDM its open for others stuff as well.. best of all, you got multiple stages, you chooose, you wont be forced someone you wont want to see. ;)

Well I'm looking at it from this point of veiw:

There used to be Zenfest, Cyberfest, and a a few other major one off EDM festivals here in Florida that drew 10,000 plus people each event every summer and fall. Now there is just Ultra which has gotten rather commercial, and this Bang festival which has the entire Space residency on it's lineup and the high end House names for the most part.

Saleen keeps spouting at how these events are loosing money, and I can see why. What was Ultra's booking and produciton costs from this past years event... about $3,000,000 +? I don't know for sure at all, but that seems like a round about number. The previous events I mentioned here in Florida and let's say Park Rave Madness in NY were huge and successful without booking the top 10 or 20 DJ's that would have cost $10,000-$15,000 back then and $20,000 to $50,000+ now. They just booked good talent and that was enough.

Sure Bang is different as it is a combo festival with a little for everyone, but what I'm really getting at is that there are no more real EDM festivals that go on here. I think Bang might break even, and it will because every act on the lineup will draw a crowd, unlike what Saleen says. And that crown will be people driving in from Central, Western, North Florida, and possibly Georgia for this event since there is nothing else. I think I just expected something more from this event :-\

Guest LaundryBar

Im going to go see Daft Punk. Everything else is extra. Some of the lineup is not what Im into at all but some of it is cool and they are still adding more.

Guest james stratus

I see pre-sales starting at $45-$50, and regular tix going for $70-$75 for this. Maybe a $35 limited 500-1000 tix. They won't be making the too low ticket price mistake they made last year.

As it stands right now, Bang will loose money on this festival, they need to chop djs off this event and get a major league headliner, if they don't they will loose money again for the 2nd str8 year. BTW Nov is a really bad month for a festival..

EDM is so mid 90's lets face it, we are not 22 years old any more and I the club legend don't even listen to house any more. I know djs who don't listen to house anymore...

Guest pod

You gotta diversify in this market. Betting the farm on one genre is risky unless it's rock or hip-hop.

I still listen to dance music but I realistically know where the market is.

EDM is so mid 90's lets face it, we are not 22 years old any more and I the club legend don't even listen to house any more. I know djs who don't listen to house anymore...

You dont listen to house music but your signature is promoting a house dj... you are a fuckin hypocrite.. i dont understand the reasoning on why a person who claims to be a club legend... spends his time on a nightlife board talking shit.

We all understand that you now listen to Rock Music and spend your Sunday Afternoons on the Golf Course... We understand that House music sucks for YOU now.. You love putting words into other people's mouths... Saleen, we really dont give a fuck about what you "think" anymore.

Guest pod

What I think the club legend is getting at is that dance music as being in the general public consciousness here in the States is 1990s. The art form is still around, but it's not like the "good old days" when there was a house or trance night on any given night of the week in a decent venue here in town.

What I think the club legend is getting at is that dance music as being in the general public consciousness here in the States is 1990s. The art form is still around, but it's not like the "good old days" when there was a house or trance night on any given night of the week in a decent venue here in town.

Who gives a fuck.. there are still A LOT of people that like House music... Hip-Hop has no doubt taken shit over... thank MTV and BET for that... but damn... for him to say that nobody listens to House music anymore is just another weak ass attack to the scene by a douchebag hater.

Guest pod

Don't get me wrong, I like house music. But the sad fact is that the numbers aren't what they used to be. Like a lot of things in this country, it goes through phases. Subcultures get co-opted by the masses, and spit out when something else comes along. Dance music had it's turn, now aside from the major venues, it's a bitch and a half to do a dance-themed event.

You dont listen to house music but your signature is promoting a house dj... you are a fuckin hypocrite.. i dont understand the reasoning on why a person who claims to be a club legend... spends his time on a nightlife board talking shit.

We all understand that you now listen to Rock Music and spend your Sunday Afternoons on the Golf Course... We understand that House music sucks for YOU now.. You love putting words into other people's mouths... Saleen, we really dont give a fuck about what you "think" anymore.

House music doesn't suck for me, it's just something I did when I was younger.

Prior to my age group, there was no house muisc to speak of, now that my age group is 28-40, house music is dead to us, just like disco is dead to our parents.

Again I know house djs who don't listen to house music...

Guest Mattivi

i was in high school in the mid to late 90's so i have no idea how big the "scene" used to be. but to say its hard to find dance musik themed nites in THIS town is absurd. one can pretty much find somewhere any day of week down here. and if you dont like house music anymore why you would post on a nightlife/edm themed website? it is the equivalent of a recovered drug addict hanging out at his old crackhouse.

Guest pod

Harder than it was. There's something going on on any given day of the week, yes, but not like it used to be. And in terms of quality, well, I'll start a lot of fights if I say anything.

i was in high school in the mid to late 90's so i have no idea how big the "scene" used to be. but to say its hard to find dance musik themed nites in THIS town is absurd. one can pretty much find somewhere any day of week down here. and if you dont like house music anymore why you would post on a nightlife/edm themed website? it is the equivalent of a recovered drug addict hanging out at his old crackhouse.

Sam Malone was a recovering alcoholic and he owned a bar...