Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bang Music Festival!!! Miami, FL Nov. 11, 2006

Guest galacticgruv

Guest pod

A lot of house DJs listen to other stuff to see what is out there. You never know where you'll hear an idea for a sound or a remix.

I shoot in nightclubs but I don't look at nightlife photography much.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest james stratus

"If you build it, they will come"

If they did Ultra on a slightly smaller scale Labor Day weekend here in Miami they would still get 20,000+ people guaranteed. Yes, Florida is a slave to its geography, unlike northern states where for such an event you would get people from a 6 state radius minimum. But since nothing like Ultra goes on anywhere other than Florida, New York, Chicago, Detroit, and SoCal, people would surely drive from Georgia, Tennessee, and Louisiana, and fly in from more remote locations.

Guest james stratus

Depends. You price out gas and/or a plane ticket these days?

Sure. When PVD did that Friday at Space people drove and flew down from Orlando, Tampa, and Jax to see him. And that is just for one DJ.

Guest pod

Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it isn't like it used to be where you could guarantee having a huge out of state crowd for a specific show. You have to work all your angles these days.

Guest LiquidX

Looks more like a Space Fest than anything alse, and a poor excuse of what EDM festivals used to be. :(

Funny cause the Festival doesnt label itself strictly EDM.. its more like a version of Coachella here in Florida.. even the festivals in Europe, they've been doing that for years now.. variety. People are open minded in the music scene.. someone that likes EDM its open for others stuff as well.. best of all, you got multiple stages, you chooose, you wont be forced someone you wont want to see. ;)

Well I'm looking at it from this point of veiw:

There used to be Zenfest, Cyberfest, and a a few other major one off EDM festivals here in Florida that drew 10,000 plus people every summer and fall. Now there is just Ultra which has gotten rather commercial, and this Bang festival which has the entire Space residency on it's lineup and the high end House names for the most part.

Saleen keeps spouting at how these events are loosing money, and I can see why. What was Ultra's booking and produciton costs from this past years event... about $3,000,000 +? I don't know for sure at all, but that seems like a round about number. The previous events I mentioned here in Florida and let's say Park Rave Madness in NY were huge and successful without booking the top 10 or 20 DJ's that would have cost $10,000-$15,000 back then and $20,000 to $50,000+ now. They just booked good talent and that was enough.

Sure Bang is different as it is a combo festival with a little for everyone, but what I'm really getting at is that there are no more real EDM festivals that go on here. I think Bang might break even, and it will because every act on the lineup will draw a crowd, unlike what Saleen says. And that crown will be people driving in from Central, Western, North Florida, and possibly Georgia for this event since there is nothing else. I think I just expected something more from this event :-\

Yea I remember Zenfest and Cyberfest, but, Zenfest was not strictly EDM for what I can remember ???... and Cyberfest happened only once for what I can recall.. it was supposed to happen the following year, then 9/11 happened and it all went downhill from then. Cyberfest was been sponsored by the same group as Ultra ( COOLWORLD ), interesting thing though, Ultra was called Ultra Electronic Muisc Festival, then it just changed to Ultra Music Festival..and its fair to say that it was just last year that they incorporated some Rock Acts. So Overall, the only strictly EDM fests that I remember were Cyberfest and Candyland plus all those other raves that were held back in the late 90's ( the era that I got into them ).

People tend to forget the crowds that Tiesto brings himself... Tiesto by the bay anyone?!?! He filled up the Ampitheater. He sold out $75 bucks tix for both nights down here for Conference,

Tiesto will be a big filler for Bang! I can tell you that.. all the other names are just variety for exposure.. thats how I see it.

A lot called Bang! a failure last year and claimed it its first and last time.. if they did so bad how come they are back and bringing some strong acts with them?!?! I think they'll make a surplus... and Oh.. I saw Ultra's earnings on the top 5 concerts in in-gross in 2005.

I also think that 2001 Sept. attacks had a lot to do with it.. I think since then a lot of the mini raves and fest were been called off across the nation, together with the crackdown on raves and electronica party's.

Guest lyrik

EDM is so mid 90's lets face it, we are not 22 years old any more and I the club legend don't even listen to house any more. I know djs who don't listen to house anymore...

You dont listen to house music but your signature is promoting a house dj... you are a fuckin hypocrite.. i dont understand the reasoning on why a person who claims to be a club legend... spends his time on a nightlife board talking shit.

We all understand that you now listen to Rock Music and spend your Sunday Afternoons on the Golf Course... We understand that House music sucks for YOU now.. You love putting words into other people's mouths... Saleen, we really dont give a fuck about what you "think" anymore.

Prior to my age group, there was no house muisc to speak of, now that my age group is 28-40

You lost me on this one Nick...we're not that old.

and thats pretty damn big bracket! can we say 25-30 still?

Guest LeVeL

You lost me on this one Nick...we're not that old.

yup he lost me there too, in think he tends state his opinion but tries to use people in his age group as an example for not being into House Music. Saleen just needs to come out and just state that he doesn't like EDM anymore only the old stuff.

Because for sure people in his age group still go to clubs, they go to EDM Clubs and they dig the sound.

Guest pod

Well, the days of ravey-davey festivals are over. It is a mixed blessing. On one side, you can't realistically throw a genre-specific festival anymore on a grand scale. You gotta diversify. On the other, it's actually good since there's a form of Darwinism in effect where only people who can bring their A-game are doing so, and the overall technical quality of the festivals has gone up.

Guest ramon

Well, the days of ravey-davey festivals are over. It is a mixed blessing. On one side, you can't realistically throw a genre-specific festival anymore on a grand scale. You gotta diversify. On the other, it's actually good since there's a form of Darwinism in effect where only people who can bring their A-game are doing so, and the overall technical quality of the festivals has gone up.

I think detroit does a pretty damn good job doing a 'techno' festival.

Paxahau brings their A game and then some. I can't wait for them to do something down here.

Lets play the simple math game..

EDM peaked in the late 90's. So for arguments sake, lets call the tanking of edm in 2001.

So if you were 21 years old in 2001 which is the legal age you can club for the most part then you are how old today???

Well the youngest you could be is 26 years old or just turning 27.

Thus that's the youngest but I bet the avg age is closer to 35 years old.

The avg age of the big name djs is all you need to know the avg age of edm fans, they are ALL in their mid 30's or older.

Yea yea yea, a few exceptions, but the vast majority of them are in their mid 30's.

Thus by playing the simple math game, you can tell the AVG EDM fan is 28-40 years old!

Guest lyrik

Thus by playing the simple math game, you can tell the AVG EDM fan is 28-40 years old!

I hear ya...but do ya have to say 40! Its still more than 10 years away man....well 10 years and a month for me...but I see what you're saying now.

...but you know there a lot of younger scenes out there I'm finding...the numbers may be smaller...but they do exist in some capacity...you're right tho EDm is in a recession of sorts...doubtful it will ever notch back up to its peak...again right late 90's.

Guest pod

Paxahau brings their A game and then some. I can't wait for them to do something down here.

They're smart in not doing something down here. You know how this market is. Unless they do their homework and partner up with someone who knows the system down here, they'll get eaten alive.

everyone keeps saying that BANG was a complete failure last year? since when did u or another other business that you have opened that was a complete failure the first try... try again the second time? Obviouslly, if they are trying to make a 2nd attempt... they got something good out of the first attempt.

The same thing is happening in Tampa... there is going to be a huge ass festival up there in St Pete that will have ferry corsten, carl cox, etc.. the guy knows that if he plays his cards right.. he will make more money on that one event, then he will make having his club open for business for an entire year... and if he really makes off well this year.. next year, he will be getting bigger and better djs (such as Tiesto)... so, i would have to say.. that as much as Saleen thinks he knows everything... people dont throw huge ass events for practice... If Bang lost as much as money as Saleen says they did.. they would not be trying to do it again.

just my 2 cents.

Guest pod

They can lose money and still have enough in reserve to do it again.

Dance music isn't dead, but it's definitely not the days of glowsticks and rave till dawn anymore.

I hear ya...but do ya have to say 40! Its still more than 10 years away man....well 10 years and a month for me...but I see what you're saying now.

...but you know there a lot of younger scenes out there I'm finding...the numbers may be smaller...but they do exist in some capacity...you're right tho EDm is in a recession of sorts...doubtful it will ever notch back up to its peak...again right late 90's.

More simple Math... Limelight was popular when I was in HS. Call it 93. So if you were 21 partying at the LL, you are now 34 years old! Lets say you were 24 and partying at the LL, you are now 37 years old!

The younger crowds go to clubs because they are clubs, but they have no concept of who the dj is and that djs history.. It's a hype business with no substance..

No one can tell me Tiesto is a better jock than OG, but Tiesto wipes his ass with what og makes in a night..

Bangs owner is a rich kid, he's not playing with his own money...

Should I mention other club owners who were playing with other's money?

Dude.. i have a lot of money.. a lot of people on this board have a lot of money.. but we dont go out launching 15,000 people festivals each year for the hell of it... thats insane that you would think that. He obviouslly had to have made a few bucks to want to do it again the following year.

Wtf is the point of some guy with a little money going through the headaches of launching a festival that doesnt even has his name on the headline? That would be like me walking into a club in Miami and buying everybody in the entire club free shots... wtf would i get out of that? A lot of happy people but a dented wallet? What person in there right mind likes to wake up to that feeling?

Come on Saleen.. you keep hating every event that happens down here, but your posts dont make any sense. Like I said... we all know you are done with House music.. you love rock music.. but just because an event is about to take place down here.. there is no need to hate on it and talk about how you would do things different, etc.. nobody gives a fuck because 1/2 of your posts are fabricated bullshit that you want everyone on this board to believe.

Guest spacecadet

More simple Math... Limelight was popular when I was in HS. Call it 93. So if you were 21 partying at the LL, you are now 34 years old! Lets say you were 24 and partying at the LL, you are now 37 years old!

The younger crowds go to clubs because they are clubs, but they have no concept of who the dj is and that djs history.. It's a hype business with no substance..

No one can tell me Tiesto is a better jock than OG, but Tiesto wipes his ass with what og makes in a night..

Well when u go to space you dont see alot of 30 - 40 year old. And what does history have to do with it, either you like the music or you dont.You dont need to go to history class to like EDM. Only thing I see is that older crowd usually drop some more bucks to party

Also when space does those all ages events young and new EDM crowd

Ok, then answer me this, how many rich New Yorkers come to Miami to open up a club and it tanks in a few months? How many times do we say this pool of morons are drying up????

Ok Ok Ok, you are not convinced so here is a little list for you:

click here

Ok Ok Ok, so you are not convinced, here are just the downtown ones which needs to be updated:

List of clubs that have tried to operate in Downtown Miami since the opening of Club Space.

Cafe Nostalgia

Cielo

Club Downtown

Crobar Downtown

Eclipse

Envy

Escape

Exile

Fuel

House

Ice Palace

Living Room Downtown

Metropolis

Nocturnal

Players

Power Studios

Pure

Rio

Sanctuary

Sky Lounge

The Beach

The River

Warehouse

Total money lost by investors = Over $50,000,000.00.

Ok, then answer me this, how many rich New Yorkers come to Miami to open up a club and it tanks in a few months? How many times do we say this pool of morons are drying up????

click here

Ok Ok Ok, so you are not convinced, here are just the downtown ones which needs to be updated:

List of clubs that have tried to operate in Downtown Miami since the opening of Club Space.

Cafe Nostalgia

Cielo

Club Downtown

Crobar Downtown

Eclipse

Envy

Escape

Exile

Fuel

House

Ice Palace

Living Room Downtown

Metropolis

Nocturnal

Players

Power Studios

Pure

Rio

Sanctuary

Sky Lounge

The Beach

The River

Warehouse

Who gives a FUCK saleen.. we are talking about a music festival here.. not a club in miami.

Ill take Warehouse for example... I tried that club 3 times ... got bottles each time.. they a) played shit music... B) the fucking club was nasty and dirty as fuck c) their service was awful... ok.. now times that with every other person that likes to buy bottles at clubs.. and their bottle service is done... if the bottle people think of that of the club.. then surely the regular general admission crowd thinks the same thing.... so.. in english.. THAT CLUB FUCKING SUCKED... and they dont deserve to be on the same street that SPACE is on.

You want to blame every god damn thing on dance music.... a lot of it has to do with the way the club is ran and operated... right now, Club SPACE is the only club in Miami that keeps me coming back each week. Sure, their new vip set up sucks, but overall, i know every fucking weekend that I go there.. its going to be a blast... the service is going to be on point.. and the music is going to be some form of House music.... why should i go anywhere else?

Players??? Oh, do u mean the cheese fuck breakbeat club/restaurant? I used that place for their ATM.

Metropolis? Ummmm/.... last time I checked... there have been like 10 stabbings, and a few shootings there.. and their bottle service was complete shit when I tried goign there.. so.. yea.. let them shut down.. no big deal to me.

Guest spacecadet

click here

Cafe Nostalgia

Cielo

Club Downtown

Crobar Downtown

Eclipse

Envy

Escape

Exile

Fuel

House

Ice Palace

Living Room Downtown

Metropolis

Nocturnal

Players

Power Studios

Pure

Rio

Sanctuary

Sky Lounge

The Beach

The River

Warehouse

Who gives a FUCK saleen.. we are talking about a music festival here.. not a club in miami.

Ill take Warehouse for example... I tried that club 3 times ... got bottles each time.. they a) played shit music... B) the fucking club was nasty and dirty as fuck c) their service was awful... ok.. now times that with every other person that likes to buy bottles at clubs.. and their bottle service is done... if the bottle people think of that of the club.. then surely the regular general admission crowd thinks the same thing.... so.. in english.. THAT CLUB FUCKING SUCKED... and they dont deserve to be on the same street that SPACE is on.

You want to blame every god damn thing on dance music.... a lot of it has to do with the way the club is ran and operated... right now, Club SPACE is the only club in Miami that keeps me coming back each week. Sure, their new vip set up sucks, but overall, i know every fucking weekend that I go there.. its going to be a blast... the service is going to be on point.. and the music is going to be some form of House music.... why should i go anywhere else?

Space is also 1 night. Im sure the 6 other night theres other clubs playing EDM

I must say Icon, I won, I clearly prooved there is a long long line of idiots will to part with thier money and all you talk about is bottles..

Saleen 1

Icon 0..

Pod close this thread, I WON!

you didnt mind me buying several bottles when I saw your boy Denny spinning at Warehouse when only 8 people showed up in the entire club did ya? You claim to be a promoter/club legend Saleen? Take any promoter from SPACE to promote Denny at a place like Warehouse.. and the place would have been packed... Please.. come up with better excuses... you aint shit bro... just a washed up piece of shit that hates everything because you arent the HNIC... whatever... Your days are done.. go up to the nearest Starbucks and listen to your favorite Erick Clapton cd. You're not wanted here.