Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bang Music Festival!!! Miami, FL Nov. 11, 2006

Guest galacticgruv

Guest LiquidX

Thus by playing the simple math game, you can tell the AVG EDM fan is 28-40 years old!

I hear ya...but do ya have to say 40! Its still more than 10 years away man....well 10 years and a month for me...but I see what you're saying now.

...but you know there a lot of younger scenes out there I'm finding...the numbers may be smaller...but they do exist in some capacity...you're right tho EDm is in a recession of sorts...doubtful it will ever notch back up to its peak...again right late 90's.

More simple Math... Limelight was popular when I was in HS. Call it 93. So if you were 21 partying at the LL, you are now 34 years old! Lets say you were 24 and partying at the LL, you are now 37 years old!

The younger crowds go to clubs because they are clubs, but they have no concept of who the dj is and that djs history.. It's a hype business with no substance..

No one can tell me Tiesto is a better jock than OG, but Tiesto wipes his ass with what og makes in a night..

Dude, it was in the late 90's when DJ's really got that superstars status. It was in the late 90's when Oakenfold and friends started getting big fat checks. It was in the turn of the millenium when all this Superclubs started erupting and festivals became a big thing not only in Europe but also in the America's. It was 99 when Loveparade got the record braking 2million people showing up, it was in 99 - 00 when Ibiza was been rundown by EDM heads and clubber's alike. It was 99-00 when all that was going in on in Europe was been brought into the states and seen as a totally new thing, a massive exposure. Yes raves are over, but the survivors are still there.. and the remainings of that Peak of EDM are still there and kicking. Im part of the young 20's generation, and we've learned to grow up and follow this format. The flavor of that peak its praviling, before in the mid 90's no one knew about DJ names here in states, go to a high school today and there's at least a 50% chance someone would know Tiesto or have heard of EDM... people know about it and people will keep it alive. Walk around on WMC and you will see young people everywhere.. its not the old people that keeps it alive, but the young ones. People have more exposure to it, that means a bigger chance of survival.. its obviously not the same as the old days, but thats just because you were part its peak.. you lived the explosion of it. It was a new thing in the states, it was a change. This change wont die, if anything it would just go underground a bit, and there will just be a cycle. It happens. But it wont die. Neither do I see it heading that way.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pod

But not at that magnitude. Space is the only "megaclub" in town with a dedicated dance music night that has been running for more than a year.

Guest james stratus

Well, the days of ravey-davey festivals are over. It is a mixed blessing. On one side, you can't realistically throw a genre-specific festival anymore on a grand scale. You gotta diversify. On the other, it's actually good since there's a form of Darwinism in effect where only people who can bring their A-game are doing so, and the overall technical quality of the festivals has gone up.

The "ravey-davey festivals" still go on and do very well in California. The Chicago House Music Festival and the big Spundae street events are similar, and so is DEMF which more than anything is a pure post 2K Detroit Rave. I mean who do you think goes to Ultra and fills in that crowd but the starved ravers for all corners of Florida and the US. Same will go for Bang in a way. And those kids are the life blood of what will be the next generation of club goers. Tiesto by the bay was a good example of this.

One thing though is that those old events aren't anywhere near as big a production as Ultra is. The A-game is there, and since there has been a lull in this area of event production, it is getting time for it to come back. And I believe this will re-fuel the entire EDM scene.

Guest james stratus

Barbarino doesn't live down here, so he lumps in the Design District with Downtown.

Should say DD/Downtown.

Yeah I know. Cristofo Columbo couldn't find India so it makes sense Barbarino can't differentiate the DD from Downtown :P

Guest ramon

Paxahau brings their A game and then some. I can't wait for them to do something down here.

They're smart in not doing something down here. You know how this market is. Unless they do their homework and partner up with someone who knows the system down here, they'll get eaten alive.

I predict whatever they do here will be a success.

Yes, they are that good.

Their production is top notch and their talent roster speaks for itself.

They do parties in places like Masonic temples. You gotta think outside the box for a moment and realize that there is more to this music than clubs.

Guest Kevntampa

Any more info on this Tampa event? I havent heard anything about it, any info is appreciated.

everyone keeps saying that BANG was a complete failure last year? since when did u or another other business that you have opened that was a complete failure the first try... try again the second time? Obviouslly, if they are trying to make a 2nd attempt... they got something good out of the first attempt.

The same thing is happening in Tampa... there is going to be a huge ass festival up there in St Pete that will have ferry corsten, carl cox, etc.. the guy knows that if he plays his cards right.. he will make more money on that one event, then he will make having his club open for business for an entire year... and if he really makes off well this year.. next year, he will be getting bigger and better djs (such as Tiesto)... so, i would have to say.. that as much as Saleen thinks he knows everything... people dont throw huge ass events for practice... If Bang lost as much as money as Saleen says they did.. they would not be trying to do it again.

just my 2 cents.

Guest pod

The best of the best have come to this town and had their asses handed to them. Not to discourage anyone, but Miami is a tough town to operate a nightclub or dance oriented event in. We might be small, but there's some big fish in this pond.

Guest Marina22

Went last year and had a great time. The lines were sorta long for the drinks but not as bad as Ultra's. Besides that it wasn't too crowded or dirty overall since it was the first year. The ticket prices were cheaper but I guess they got smarter this year. As far as November, it was very nice outside plus it was Thanksgiving weekend who doesn't have off?! I would like to see some more house acts since it was orig. a house music festival but if they add some more quality acts then I won't mind the trance or whateva rock... The "Chillout" tent should not have been on top of concrete but rather on a grassy area. Besides that it was perfect ;D

Any more info on this Tampa event? I havent heard anything about it, any info is appreciated.

everyone keeps saying that BANG was a complete failure last year? since when did u or another other business that you have opened that was a complete failure the first try... try again the second time? Obviouslly, if they are trying to make a 2nd attempt... they got something good out of the first attempt.

The same thing is happening in Tampa... there is going to be a huge ass festival up there in St Pete that will have ferry corsten, carl cox, etc.. the guy knows that if he plays his cards right.. he will make more money on that one event, then he will make having his club open for business for an entire year... and if he really makes off well this year.. next year, he will be getting bigger and better djs (such as Tiesto)... so, i would have to say.. that as much as Saleen thinks he knows everything... people dont throw huge ass events for practice... If Bang lost as much as money as Saleen says they did.. they would not be trying to do it again.

just my 2 cents.

Coming very soon.. was just announced officially today :)

Guest Tru1

LiquidX

The fucking problem with our scene and one of the reasons why it is shrinking is the very underground nature that it comes from. Any time an artist gets too successful it suddenly becomes "cool" for all of the trendsetters to start hating on that artist. Look at Oakenfold, tiesto, even Morillo now. As soon as they hit it big, the trendsetters who helped get them there (many of whom reside on CJ) start hating on them.

Now look at rock, or rap, or fucking polka for that matter. Their fans support and continue to support the artists the more successful they get. Look at U2. Do you think their core fans abondoned them when they started having commercial success...no...they embraced them, and bragged about how they were fans with them since way back when.

That is why our scene will never be the dominant one in mainstream.

That is why it pisses me off when I see people on this site hate on some of the people who helped create the scene that they enjoy so much.

Just my .02...but it happens to be the truth.

Many of the people on this site that complain about things going downhill are the very reason why they are.

THINK ABOUT IT

Guest pod

It happens in any 'subculture'.

They call it 'selling out', from what I gather. :)

In the long run it is detrimental.

LiquidX

The fucking problem with our scene and one of the reasons why it is shrinking is the very underground nature that it comes from. Any time an artist gets too successful it suddenly becomes "cool" for all of the trendsetters to start hating on that artist. Look at Oakenfold, tiesto, even Morillo now. As soon as they hit it big, the trendsetters who helped get them there (many of whom reside on CJ) start hating on them.

Now look at rock, or rap, or fucking polka for that matter. Their fans support and continue to support the artists the more successful they get. Look at U2. Do you think their core fans abondoned them when they started having commercial success...no...they embraced them, and bragged about how they were fans with them since way back when.

That is why it pisses me off when I see people on this site hate on some of the people who helped create the scene that they enjoy so much.

Many of the people on this site that complain about things going downhill are the very reason why they are.

THINK ABOUT IT

+1

Its a catch 22... I know people that eat shit and breathed Armin van Buuren.. now they cant stand him because he is "too cheesy and mainstream.. and a sell out".. God forbid if the guy wants to make some cash off his talent and try to make it big in the mainstream world.

the same is with Oakenfold, Tiesto, and others... These producers put out a great song.. and it hits the mainstream, a movie, a video game, or whatever.. and once that happens.. their fans turn on them.

Another problem.. in EDM.. there are too many one hit wonders out there.... and when a DJ plays a sick track.. it makes the DJ look good. not the actual producer of the song.

To the people that say lets keep EDM underground... FUCK YOU. Everytime you support that.. is everytime another person discovers that they like Hip-Hop instead... When that happens.. clubs have to play Hip-Hop instead of EDM music.

Guest pod

You know what, I show up to events whether they are commerical or 'underground' (god I hate that word)...I go where I like to go, regardless of it's popularity level.

Guest Marina22

LiquidX

THINK ABOUT IT

I have to agree with you. I think that for a dj to be good he/she doesn't have to be "underground", but then if they make it then they're too "commercial". Maybe it's just musical tastes evolving within individuals or just plain trendiness. However, I don't think it's a black and white issue because not everyone is this fickle. We also have our true music fans who just appreciate quality no matter how big a dj can get. I think I fall in the evolved category so I won't be listening to Oakey like I did several years ago but I can still appreciate his Olso cd for example and will still break it out now and then. For the record, I am one of those loyal U2 fans foreva and maybe some other djs like Deep Dish, Lawler, and Timo Maas :D

You know what, I show up to events whether they are commerical or 'underground' (god I hate that word)...I go where I like to go, regardless of it's popularity level.

exactly. i dont care who's spinning.. as long as the party is right.. im happy.

Guest Marina22

Being fickle means you probably stay at home a lot.

Hey, I'm not fickle especially not with my music. As far as staying home, well it's not b/c they are not playing my music it's called being broke and choosing wisely, my friend.

Guest pod

Even when the chips are down financially, I've always managed to squeak in one or two days of going out. Grant it, nowadays it's what I do, but back when I didn't rely on going out to pay the bills, I would always make it a point to get out once or twice a week. I just didn't drink as much, or I cut back somewhere else. As a single guy who doesn't date, home is merely where I keep things and sleep.

The Sunset Concert Series is Tampas first outdoor ultra style music festival. It will feature 2 separate stages and over 30 world renowned Djs performing live! The date is October 8th, 2006 from 1pm to 10pm. We will be releasing more info on a daily basis so make sure you keep checking back! Come be a part of history...come be one of the 15,000!! Location: Vinoy Park in Downtown St Petersburg.

Currently booked:

Darude

Warp Brothers

Baby Anne

Monk

Carl Cox

Rabbit in the Moon

and more to be announced later

Guest ramon

Being fickle means you probably stay at home a lot.

and what's the problem with that? if you are unhappy whats out there why conform to the norm?

Guest pod

Have you seen my apartment lately? ;D

But seriously folks, if you're not happy about who's playing what and where, bitching about it on a forum isn't gonna do much. You should go out and meet the people who can effect those changes for you.