Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Plan boosts Solar System to 12 Planets.

Bling

Guest coach

Should be interesting. Personally, I think they should just either create an additional category for objects like Pluto or leave everything as is. Expanding the specific definition of a planet to actually include a body like Pluto would be problematic since it would likely add way more than 3 to the number of planets listed. Hopefully, as we move out of our own little solar system, having more specificity will become more important.

Guest obby

Scientists Decide Pluto’s No Longer A Planet

Historic new guidelines approved by astronomers in Prague

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14489259/

The International Astronomical Union votes to redefine the term "planet", demoting Pluto (pictured) to the status of a "dwarf planet", and leaving the solar system with eight planets.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Hopefully, as we move out of our own little solar system, having more specificity will become more important.

Where would we go outside of our solar system?

Guest pod

12lys.gif

The universe within 12.5 ly of Sol.

250lys.gif

250 ly out.

5000lys.gif

5000 ly out.

galaxy.gif

50,000 ly out.

satell.gif

500,000 ly out.

localgrp.gif

5,000,000 ly out.

virgocls.gif

100,000,000 ly out.

supercls.gif

1,000,000,000 ly out.

universe.gif

14,000,000,000 ly out.

There's a lot of places to go.

Guest swirlundergrounder

12lys.gif

The universe within 12.5 ly of Sol.

250lys.gif

250 ly out.

5000lys.gif

5000 ly out.

galaxy.gif

50,000 ly out.

satell.gif

500,000 ly out.

localgrp.gif

5,000,000 ly out.

virgocls.gif

100,000,000 ly out.

supercls.gif

1,000,000,000 ly out.

universe.gif

14,000,000,000 ly out.

There's a lot of places to go.

You have the wrong map..

galaxyweb.jpg

Guest slamminshaun

Modern science! Can't even decide what a planet is... ::) Didn't they use the "scientific method" when deciding Pluto was a planet? I wonder how many "peer reviewed" science journals agreed that Pluto was a planet....I wonder how many will still claim it as a planet. Hmmm....nah, peer reviewed science is never wrong.

Guest obby

How many Astronomy freaks do we have on this board? It's always been my favorite science.

Pluto has been debated since it's discovery back in 1930 whether to be titled a planet or asteroid. Thought you guys might find this info useful.

Pluto was discovered in 1930 by a fortunate accident. Calculations which later turned out to be in error had predicted a planet beyond Neptune, based on the motions of Uranus and Neptune. Not knowing of the error, Clyde W. Tombaugh at Lowell Observatory in Arizona did a very careful sky survey which turned up Pluto anyway.

After the discovery of Pluto, it was quickly determined that Pluto was too small to account for the discrepancies in the orbits of the other planets. The search for Planet X continued but nothing was found. Nor is it likely that it ever will be: the discrepancies vanish if the mass of Neptune determined from the Voyager 2 encounter with Neptune is used. There is no Planet X. But that doesn't mean there aren't other objects out there, only that there isn't a relatively large and close one like Planet X was assumed to be. In fact, we now know that there are a very large number of smaller objects in the Kuiper Belt beyond the orbit of Neptune.

Pluto is the only planet that has not been visited by a spacecraft. Even the Hubble Space Telescope can resolve only the largest features on its surface. A spacecraft called New Horizons was launched in January 2006. If all goes well it should reach Pluto in 2015.

Fortunately, Pluto has a satellite, Charon. By good fortune, Charon was discovered (in 1978) just before its orbital plane moved edge-on toward the inner solar system. It was therefore possible to observe many transits of Pluto over Charon and vice versa. By carefully calculating which portions of which body would be covered at what times, and watching brightness curves, astronomers were able to construct a rough map of light and dark areas on both bodies.

In late 2005, a team using the Hubble Space Telescope discovered two additional tiny moons orbiting Pluto. Provisionally designated S/2005 P1 and S/2005 P2, they are now known as Nix and Hydra. They are estimated to be between 60 and 200 kilometers in diameter.

Pluto's radius is not well known. JPL's value of 1137 is given with an error of +/-8, almost one percent.

Though the sum of the masses of Pluto and Charon is known pretty well (it can be determined from careful measurements of the period and radius of Charon's orbit and basic physics) the individual masses of Pluto and Charon are difficult to determine because that requires determining their mutual motions around the center of mass of the system which requires much finer measurements -- they're so small and far away that even HST has difficulty. The ratio of their masses is probably somewhere between 0.084 and 0.157; more observations are underway but we won't get really accurate data until a spacecraft is sent.

Pluto is the second most contrasty body in the Solar System (after Iapetus).

There are some who think Pluto would be better classified as a large asteroid or comet rather than as a planet. Some consider it to be one of the larger Kuiper Belt objects (also known as Trans-Neptunian Objects). There is considerable merit to the latter position, but historically Pluto has been classified as a planet and it is very likely to remain so. Further complicating the situation, one such object (2003UB313) was recently discovered that is almost certainly larger than Pluto. Should it, too, be classified as a planet?

Guest swirlundergrounder

How many Astronomy freaks do we have on this board? It's always been my favorite science.

I'm a total Astronomy freak! My favorite science also. The vastness and sheer size of the known universe has always fascinated me!

Guest coach

Modern science! Can't even decide what a planet is... ::) Didn't they use the "scientific method" when deciding Pluto was a planet?

Not really. Or at least not the same way that they do today.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Keep in mind when first discovered they did not have tools like the bad ass Hubble Space Telescope.

To bad they are just going to let it burn up in a decaying orbit since they don't want to spend the money to maintain it anymore..

Luckliy I have a book of Hubble Photo's called 'Other Worlds'.. ;D

Guest obby

Keep in mind when first discovered they did not have tools like the bad ass Hubble Space Telescope.

To bad they are just going to let it burn up in a decaying orbit since they don't want to spend the money to maintain it anymore..

Luckliy I have a book of Hubble Photo's called 'Other Worlds'.. ;D

Terry, I believe most of the funding for the Hubble is now going towards the GMT (Giant Magellan Telescope) which should be completed by 2016. Once completed it will not only be the largest telescope in the World but will also produce images 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope.

Move over beacon, now their is something meatier!!!!!

;D

Feel free to call me a nerd now.

Giant-Magellan-Telescope.JPG

Guest swirlundergrounder

It has to be bigger to compensate for 200 miles of atmosphere in it's way.

Maybe they put it in Antarctica. There's barely any atmosphere there...LOL

Besides the view of space from the southern hemisphere is where you can see towards the center of the galaxy..

Guest pod

Still, atmospheric distortion is the bane of astronomy. A space or lunar-based observatory is infinitely more sensitive than an earthbound one.

I would have dumped that money into more space-based 'scopes.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Still, atmospheric distortion is the bane of astronomy. A space or lunar-based observatory is infinitely more sensitive than an earthbound one.

I would have dumped that money into more space-based 'scopes.

I agree...