Sat - Sandy Collins + Richard 'Death in Vegas' Fearless (Patio) @ Avalon

Sun - Kerri Chandler @ Vanguard

something for everyone imo.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ramon

OK we get the point already. Miami's a bottom of the barrel city full of shitty nightclubs, shady people, and assembly line DJs.

i know right ? .. so easy to complaint .. so hard to make a difference ..

la, detroit, ibiza etc etc always ahead of us .... ::)

tsk tsk tsk ...

yeah like i've done nothing to try to make a difference in this town.

Guest pod

I don't think The Chib meant you, Ramon. I know, and many others know (and appreciate) your efforts to diversify things a bit more 'round these parts.

OK we get the point already. Miami's a bottom of the barrel city full of shitty nightclubs, shady people, and assembly line DJs.

tsk tsk tsk ...

not a single person here have said YOU have not tried to make a difference when you book your events Ramon ... we have all aknowledge that, even when local djs give you thanks on their cd booklets ...

but it kinda gets annoying after a while when everybody says "biiza is so much better, la is so much better ... " where does that leave us ?

why dont we compromise and say, we are very lucky to have had the chance to see world class dj acts here

and! to be the home of international superstars like Oscar G and Robbie Rivera etc etc etc ;)

Guest pod

True enough. I don't sweat it that some DJs I wanna hear don't make it down to this city. Grant it, it's in my job description to go out, but at the same time, I enjoy more than just the music, so going out for me is easier I guess.

And I'll say it again, it's the "grass is always greener" syndrome in full effect. I've been to LA, and conversed with clubbers and DJs out there. They're jealous of us.

Guest durrtylexx

without complaining nothing will change.

a little more diversity would be nice.

being satisfied with what one has is never enough.

wanting more is good.

rant on guys.

imo miami has digressed.

it is what it is

Guest ramon

tsk tsk tsk ...

not a single person here have said YOU have not tried to make a difference when you book your events Ramon ... we have all aknowledge that, even when local djs give you thanks on their cd booklets ...

but it kinda gets annoying after a while when everybody says "biiza is so much better, la is so much better ... " where does that leave us ?

why dont we compromise and say, we are very lucky to have had the chance to see world class dj acts here

and! to be the home of international superstars like Oscar G and Robbie Rivera etc etc etc ;)

i didn't say anything was better .. i just wanted to show people that many musical ecosystems can coexist in a city like la.

we shouldn't have to comprimise. we should be able to do more miami has the resources that other cities wish they had. look im not saying we are going to be ibiza .. its impossible, but it wouldn't hurt to say have a few nights out there where people could listen to something out of the norm.

i know its hard and i know most people are happy with the top20 of 'insert producer of the week' here, but i also know there are people out there who wouldn't mind hearing something else.

i just hate to think sometimes there are some records that get airplay around the world and maybe just a few times here in a small lounge or something. great music deserves to be heard if not people will never know about it.

Guest pod

wanting more is good.

Oh, no one's saying that, but also appreciating what you have, especially when you have a lot, is good.

Most cities in the country have this:

1) One or two decent venues

2) A closing time of 3 AM or less

3) A government hostile to nightclubs and nightlife

They may get DJ Box-of-rocks from the messageboard, or up-and-coming DJ Sleazy Nikolaz Czerny dropping the baililaika breaks, but still, they're usually dealing with the 3 things I mentioned above.

Is there room for the Miami scene to improve? Sure, nobody's perfect. Hell, in the place you all worship and few have actually ever been to, Ibiza, there's room for improvement as well. Nothing's perfect, but to quote Bob MacKenzie..."Don't wreck our show, ya hoser!"

Guest Philip

we shouldn't have to comprimise. we should be able to do more miami has the resources that other cities wish they had. look im not saying we are going to be ibiza .. its impossible, but it wouldn't hurt to say have a few nights out there where people could listen to something out of the norm.

i know its hard and i know most people are happy with the top20 of 'insert producer of the week' here, but i also know there are people out there who wouldn't mind hearing something else.

i just hate to think sometimes there are some records that get airplay around the world and maybe just a few times here in a small lounge or something. great music deserves to be heard if not people will never know about it.

true

Guest lyrik

wanting more is good.

Oh, no one's saying that, but also appreciating what you have, especially when you have a lot, is good.

They may get DJ Box-of-rocks from the messageboard, or up-and-coming DJ Sleazy Nikolaz Czerny dropping the baililaika breaks, but still, they're usually dealing with the 3 things I mentioned above.

Here is a different take on the above that I have thought about...most of which I honestly do believe - though I am no saint and have bent the rules...but the point being that there were rules to be bent...what happenes when there are no more rules?

soooo.....

1 or 2 decent venues means less saturation of the scene...less shitty parties...more close knit community....and there are always a few other places other than the big 1 & 2 that provide a decent alternative.

2-3am closing times create a SENSE OF URGENCY...ya Miami that phrase kind of eludes your entire freaking population doesn't it! There should be a line of normalcy, maturity and general morality...the further we push that line away the more morals we lose and devalue...some people actually think its ok to be at a club by 10pm, have it stop selling liqour by 2-3am and close its doors by 4-5am the latest...why? Well by stopping liqour sales at 2am and having the club stay open until 4 it gives people time to dry up before stepping foot in the car....also in scenes such as these you will see a 110% increase in party atmosphere, vibe, dancing etc because people APPRECIATE it more.

Govt Hostility...to me I don't think a city/town...community whatever should revolve around 24 hour liqour sales and their downwards and upwards curves....again see the morality comment above...the more you value your vices as opposed to your ideals the more a community starts to lack any real substance.

Guest dancefloored

wanting more is good.

Is there room for the Miami scene to improve? Sure, nobody's perfect. Hell, in the place you all worship and few have actually ever been to, Ibiza, there's room for improvement as well. Nothing's perfect, but to quote Bob MacKenzie..."Don't wreck our show, ya hoser!"

LMAO! to Bob Mackenzie

"grass is always greener on the otherside" is very true. I got back from a 5 day trip to Toronto, my hometown. I got a 100% different nightlife style than Miami. I wanted to move back. Not to mention my 5th grade crush. Someone told me that the grass is always greener on the other side. WTF? then I thought about it. When I moved back to Canada for a year I wanted to be back in FL. You get the point!

Miami is a place of its own obviously, and there are some true points about the place that arent too attractive. But make a list of pro's and cons. I got more pro's; from weather, to fashion, to number of venues, to literally non stop partying

btw Pod where ya from ? must be north somewhere if ya know the mackenzie bro's

EH!

Guest Major

This is the upcoming week in LA.

Mon - Sean Miller @ MNS

Wed - Banco De Gaia @ King King

Wed - Phil Weeks @ Little Temple

Thu - 2many DJs @ Vanguard

Fri - PVD @ Vanguard

Fri - Mnookin/FFar @ Basic

Fri - Butane @ Deeper Moods Warehouse

Fri - Farina @ Soul Folks

Fri - Calderone @ Avalon

Sat - Howells @ Vanguard

Sat - Halo @ Balance

Sat - Speedy J @ Droid Behavior Warehouse

Sat - Sandy Collins + Richard 'Death in Vegas' Fearless (Patio) @ Avalon

Sun - Kerri Chandler @ Vanguard

something for everyone imo.

Chib, take a close look at this line up, we don't have anything remotely close to this outside of wmc, let alone in one week. With the exception of a couple of parties... i'm sick of hearing the same garbage week in week out. Wouldn't you like to hear some fresh talent and different music? Surely you can not be content with status quo?

Guest pod

I have no ideals. I'm all vice. ;D

You've got a valid point though, with higher barriers to opening a club, only the strong survive. Around here, anyone with a loan or the cash can open a club. A season later it is closed. The government already knows this, and has taken steps to combat it. I'm all for having viable, quality venues, as opposed to fly-by-night holes in the wall.

As for the closing times, good point. In some cities I've been with short operating hours, and a population that doesn't call house or trance "techno", the party ramps up real fast since you've only got 4 or 5 hours at the outside to do your thing. Here, even in a club that closes at 5, people roll in at 1 AM.

The drying out thing has been kicked back and forth a lot in this city. For one, it's been a suggestion to have the beach close at 6 AM, with alcohol cut off at 5. Typically it is hellacious to enforce that though, as you need to have code- or law-enforcement officers present at 5 AM and later to verify there's no alcohol sales at the bar. Modern POS systems can enforce that, per se, but there's ways around that. In Dowtown, where there's no set closing time, I've found that there's a lot of people who actually will take the responsibility to dry out before driving, or simply take a cab.

Nonetheless, I do consider early closing times draconian, and that the government needs to be more lax about such things. I'm also advocating personal responsibility. If you think drinking past 5 AM is wrong, don't do it. But don't tread on those (like myself) who consider it normal to sip a vodka tonic at six AM normal.

Dancefloored: From the Northeast. SCTV and Strange Brew were big when I was growing up.