Clubplanet Nightlife Community

reasons why LA doesn't suck.

Guest ramon

Guest Sela V

BTW, if you really want MIA to pick it up, the best thing one can do is get out there and help sell all those new condos. As I and others have pointed out numurous times, when Miami is compared to many of those other big cities, one of the issues is the size and affluence of Miami, or lack thereof. Miami is smaller than nearly all of the, and certainly poorer. Want more music events in Miami? Hope that all those new condos fill up with nice, well-off, young partiers.

That's right...tell those broke ass working class people to keep their poor asses at home and watch tivo...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^

Good point. Income is supposed to restrict whether you can go out or not? I know plenty of people even more broke-ass than I am, who manage to go out a lot, and either "work it", or contribute in other ways to enable their partying.

As a matter of fact, awhile ago, there was an article in the (now-defunct?) Ego Trip Magazine on a concept called "The Fabulous 300", which references that group of people that you see out and about at just about any party, be it a posh gathering at Mansion, an off-the-radar party in the Design District, or the out-and-out madness at Space.

Nonetheless, the whole story revolved around the fact that these people are at every party, and have the appearance of being well-off, but they sometimes (or a lot) barely have a pot to piss in.

Guest ramon

Do LA people get home right now after drinking legally in a top-flight establishment?

Nein!

hmm yes they coudlve. i'm not quite sure how late the afterhours for burridge went @ canteen though.

Guest coach

Whether income is *supposed* to restrict whether one goes out or not is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that there is a direct relationship between income and leisure activities, ask any economics professor. This is a trend, of course, and not an abolute, so, of course there will be exceptions. Anecdotal evidence is the worst kind to build any business plan on.

And income was only part of my point, the other part has to do with total population. As you are so fond of pointing out, Pod, you could fart into a mic in NYC and still get 200 people to show up, just through sheer numbers. There are so many people there, that even a microscopic percentage is still a decent amount.

So, my point remains, someone wants more parties and more diverse parties? Get more population.

This is true. We've only got 2 million to work with in Dade, and maybe another 2 or 3 in Broward and Palm Beach County. But effectively 2. New York has around 12 in the 5 boroughs, and due to a more extensive regional transit network (MTA, Metro-North, and NJ Transit) there's quite a few more in the outlying areas, much to the dismay of hipsters who pride themselve on living in Manhattan.

LA has more people than us as well. They're #2 in terms of population. Thus, from a certain perspective, a bit more diversity in parties. I could fart into a mic in LA, and get 50 to show up. However, those 50 would be from very close by. LA's transit system is worse than ours. Due to distances, you're really limited to maybe one party per evening, or one party, and then maybe a house party "up in those hills". Case in point, we were out there, we went to one party, and a friend wanted us to come by his party over near Venice Beach, but it wasn't doable. By the time we would have gotten there it would have been after 1 AM and left scant time to have fun.

However, Miami's not this monoglot people make it out to be, either. Like any major club town, we've got big venues who have the wherewithal to market the hell out of themselves. And like any major club town, you've got your below-the-radar parties you have to work a little to find. Just not on a bigger scale. And due to the population, some things just won't work. Your 200 in NYC becomes 50 in LA, and 20 in Miami. 20 won't cover your overhead. Farting into a mic costs money, ya know.

Guest Cosmigonon

Point is: There is no conspiracy to keep techno or whatever out of Miami, people are just no so into it. The day Miamians decide minimalism is the shit, that's the day you'll see gabber played in Space, and until that happens, it is what it is.

Guest Major

that's the day you'll see gabber played in Space

I'd be at Space every wknd if they played gabber.

My favourite gabber Djs: Dj Paul, Dj Rob, Dj Isaac, Rave Creator and MC Hughie Babe.

My favourite gabber Djs: Dj Paul, Dj Rob, Dj Isaac, Rave Creator and MC Hughie Babe.

what a fucking homo!!! :P

Guest funky junkie

They already did play gabber at space once. The week of armin van burren with the Euphoric project being there. It didn't do so well.

Guest Major

yea yea yea... we know you're a wooly woofter ;D

bitch..if your gonna call me something..make it interesting at least...what the fuck is a wooly woofter...i swear you fucking english people. ::).. :P

Guest Major

bitch..if your gonna call me something..make it interesting at least...what the fuck is a wooly woofter...i swear you fucking english people. ::).. :P

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wooly+woofter

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wooly+woofter

that shit is so gay i dont even have a rebuttal.....

Guest Major

They already did play gabber at space once. The week of armin van burren with the Euphoric project being there. It didn't do so well.

Tiesto and Ferry Corsten were making Gabber records before they started producing trance.

Guest JustBeFABOLOUS9

True enough. I don't sweat it that some DJs I wanna hear don't make it down to this city. Grant it, it's in my job description to go out, but at the same time, I enjoy more than just the music, so going out for me is easier I guess.

And I'll say it again, it's the "grass is always greener" syndrome in full effect. I've been to LA, and conversed with clubbers and DJs out there. They're jealous of us.

very true.. After partying in LA a few times compared to partying here in Miami you come to realize we have it pretty good.

In LA it's all about 'who's mansion in the hills your going to for an after party' the clubs suck, close at 2am and it's just wayy to different to even compare to Miami. For better or worse.

I vote in LA is worse ;D

Guest Marina22

you know ..

i will be the biggest bitch and the first one to compalint .. but i will also be the first one to give thanks for being here and have met, work, played with alongisde such wonderful local and international talent so !

im happy for what we have HERE, could things be better ? YES! things could always be better .. but they could also be worst .. other cities and countries have different tastes and opinions .. we just have to make the best out of it ..

when we go out, we all talk and say this and that about djs and music here and at some point we are right, we just have to live with it and support each other ...

when did i ever thought of have the chance to live in this city and be able to go to Club Space for example ....

Club Space is like the shit for everybody else but us (we dont really appreciate it) .. when did i ever thought of being in the dj booth while watching Josh Wink play a 5 hour set ?? huh ? never in my life

so again ! im glad i live here, im glad i have my friends and my music, im glad we have what we have in Miami, i do not live in LA or Ibiza or Detroit or Europe .. i live here in M I A M I and in the meantime im just gonna make the best out of it

:)

I agree with ya Andrew but I can't believe I read yet another one of these threads ::) It was worth it for the wooly woofter, gotta love the English slang, benders :P