Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Armand Van Helden @ Twilo Sep. 22

Guest aj2234

I love all those speed garage tracks he did in the 90s "Sugar is Sweeter", Professional Widow, Spin Spin Sugar. AVH's baselines are unmistakable.

+1

With the right system, spin spin sugar drops the nastiness...

not a fan of armand but "spin spin sugar" is a timeless classic. never heard that on a club only in a video game .. think it was jet grind radio on xbox ;D

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got there early .. it took about 35 min for the club to open .. very friendly staff at the door, ZERO hassle which is great! got inside and i was :o

i really liked the layout ...i liked how they kept the stairs from players where u actually have to go up a bit to get to the first bar and see the dancefloor ..

as for the sound .. it was good but i wasnt impressed, i think it still needs a tweak here and there ..

the place is also full of lights, walls, roof .. everywhere .. im sure it looks pretty nice with a full dancefloor

dj booth is great .. really good actually .you could have just a few of your friends up in a little area to the left side of the dj

saw a mac computer by the light guy ... a first at any club in miami ?

drinks are cheap !! for a club like that i was expecting $12+ drinks ... $7 for a vodka-redbull is >> ;D Diego would love this place .... "ask for Eric at the first bar"

now, i wont say anything about how the night went cause i was there for less than an hour .. just enough to take a look around .. i will be back for Josh Wink ... and i REALLY hope a good promotion for that night

best of luck ...

Guest mr.miami

It was decent crowd up till about 2:00, but at that time I was done with my 6th cuervo shot so nothing mattered. Nothing at all. mmmmmm...

Guest miamilawdj04

:P Well i headed out to TWILO for the first time yesterday. We got there around 12:45 or so. Place was EMPTY! Now i know it's a Friday--and people who work 9-5 or what not all week aren't exactly going to usually exhaust the energy on a Friday night---but--i expected more of a turnout. The place is pretty good sized....high ceilings.....great light set up....sound, etc. I really liked the place. Drink prices were also reasonable and the staff was friendly as has been said.

NOW the negatives. The crowd size is just horrible. Big place--little crowd. Just got an empty feeling. Now TWILO will need to do something soon---or it will float down the river and close down rather quickly. Gay night saturdays alone will not keep the place afloat. Whether it be promoting, or mismanagement---probably a bit of both. What i found completely unacceptable was the fact that we came out to see ARMAND VAN HELDEN. We stuck it out until around 3:30 a.m., and no ARMAND. Ridiculous. The place had really cleared out. They said he'd be on at 1 am. He was there---we saw him there. Then he disappeared down below to the little room next to the DJ booth. Never came back up again. Spoke to security, they told us that he "took too much crazy S++t, and was too f++ked up to come on." Unacceptable. now if someone is ill, or cannot make a date for a justifiable reason---i understand. But when you have people taking the time--on a FRIDAY no less to come out and see a particular DJ and that DJ VOLUNTARILY ingests chemical substances to put himself out of commission.....that is just low. The night was a wash. I didn't go out to see Ralphie broke ass Falcon. Night just was terrible. Big let down. Armand is a pile of dung man.....we all left pissed off and just disappointed in the whole experience at TWILO. The line up they are bringing in surely won't pack that place. If they want to do something special----LURE SASHA when he comes into down on DEC. 2nd....although Crobar will likely land him.

Guest Ralph Falcon

Night just was terrible. Big let down. Armand is a pile of dung man.....we all left pissed off and just disappointed in the whole experience at TWILO.

ah come on now little man, dont complain. i saw you dancin and having a good time out there. in fact here's the video.

Guest 0crystal0

actually i was sitting downstairs when he left. he did not look fucked up he looked pissed. he walked out hat and jacket in hand pissed off. i agree that he should have played but as to him being too fucked up i doubt it.

just my opinion

but club is great!

Guest mr.miami

actually i was sitting downstairs when he left. he did not look fucked up he looked pissed. he walked out hat and jacket in hand pissed off. i agree that he should have played but as to him being too fucked up i doubt it.

just my opinion

but club is great!

When did you see him leave? Also who has the real 411? Someone on this board has to know.

Guest 0crystal0

just my opinion

but club is great!

When did you see him leave? Also who has the real 411? Someone on this board has to know.

about 230-245ish i was sitting on teh couches by teh door and he walked out. and i was walking in the club when he walked up to the door about 1245 and he looked fine, had a quick conversation with the door people oh his way in.

i am curious to hear the story behind it all as well

Guest miamilawdj04

Well, who knows.....rumors are rumors....maybe the bouncer didn't know what he was talking about himself....but an explanation of some kind is in order. Last time it was the whole RANK 1 debacle with metropolis closing down (although that was salvaged with after hours at nocturnal)....i guess i just had built up friday up so much for Armand---since i had not seen him "live" before, that i was just really bummed out. No offense Ralph---i mean i've seen you a ton of times at Space and Mansion---and you do bring it----but with the crowd size being so terrible----it was hard to really get into it you know??? and i know you have nothing to do with that. Here's to hoping that future events will run smoother---because the place is fantastic---and the staff was very cool. was just pissed when i woke up earlier....sorry guys.

TwiloAngel----an explanation of what "really" happened?? thanks.

Guest ledgemaster

it's just unacceptable to have a big name like twilo be unable to deliver. not a good start for this club...never have seen such an empty crowd on a friday night...

Guest musicalmissionary

First of all... bouncers are the last people you ask about anything DJ related in a club. With that said, I guarantee you the problem had nothing to do with drugs. I don't know the whole truth either but it definitely wasn't drugs. I saw Armand several times pretty close up and he just looked very serious. The rumors I heard were that 1) he had not received his full deposit, and 2) he just didn't want to play for such a small crowd (it was actually pretty decent at 2am with heads across the entire dancefloor).

Regardless... I still squeezed some enjoyment out of my first trip to Twilo and look forward to many more. Ralph dropped a few tracks that lured everyone to the dancefloor and played some real ear candy that showed off the sound system. I hope they work out their promotions and keep building momentum because the place is poised to be great. I'm looking forward to Wink and Burridge for sure.

Guest Adam Singer

he just didn't want to play for such a small crowd

that would be a piss poor reason to not play - ive seen bigger names than him play to 10 people in a room before...

have no idea about the situation and wasnt there, but any dj that doesnt want to play because it's a small crowd doesn't deserve to get any bookings...

Guest musicalmissionary

he just didn't want to play for such a small crowd

that would be a piss poor reason to not play - ive seen bigger names than him play to 10 people in a room before...

have no idea about the situation and wasnt there, but any dj that doesnt want to play because it's a small crowd doesn't deserve to get any bookings...

I agree... IF that's the real reason...

<plug>

Check out DJ Spinna at Glass tonight for a rockin' good time. Aquabooty NEVER disappoints.

</plug>

Night just was terrible. Big let down. Armand is a pile of dung man.....we all left pissed off and just disappointed in the whole experience at TWILO.

ah come on now little man, dont complain. i saw you dancin and having a good time out there. in fact here's the video.

thats fucking hilarious :D

Guest miamilawdj04

damn i can't even see the video---sure it's a crack at me though. well deserved.

Sorry Ralph, no disrespect man. Like i said---was just in a bummed out mood this morning after last night. I like your style, always have---the lack of a crowd really was the main problem above all else. Without a crowd, it's hard to really "feel it"....no matter who is up there on the decks.

so----come on Twilo----Bring IT! I'm going back for sure though---place has huge potential.

Guest Adam Singer

just 1 more thing -

armand did taint his rep by not playing - because for whatever reason he didnt play was, if he did come back to miami how many people would show?

it's just bad PR, and a positive relationship with the world is more important than anything else for an artist ...worth way more than money

that's todays lesson... if you're on a flier, you should probably play the gig - pretty simple

Guest Marina22

I was kind of dissapointed when I saw him at Shine last time he came down because he only played a couple of hours. I believe he came on at around 1:30 or so and was off the decks by 3:30 at the latest. I went to go check out the pool and by the time I came back he was done. I don't know if that is the usual set set-up at Shine but I expected a longer set for a big name dj such as Armand. So last night he never even came on at all? I would be pissed if I drove down just to see him and didn't play at all. Would be interesting to know the real story though, bad move on his part for his rep.

Guest Marina22

Yeah, I wouldn't believe the bouncer's word since when I asked some of them before they usually don't know who is even spinning that night or what time they come on.