Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Mokai Lounge, there goes another one.

V. Barbarino

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fez

Hit up Mynt, Privé, or Mansion and it's hip-hop.

Prive & Mynt are not the same...you don't see rappers and basketball players @ Mynt...the only athlete you see there is Sammy Sosa....and he's there all the time...

and they play house 95% of the time :)

Guest sfgrl

Pod have you thought that maybe Mokai is trying to shift the whole scene in Miami and maybe they are trying to educate the VIP crowd. Cielo started out like Mokai and now they have some of the damn best house parties in the country. Lets just see what Rony and Karim, two guys that know their music, have up their sleeve. I'm sure Thursday nights with the Pure Behrouz night are going to become legendary.

Guest pod

I know Rony knows his music. You can see him all the time at Behrouz and Deep Dish parties, among many others.

However, when you're a club owner, sometimes, well a lot of the time, you've got to put what you like aside and concentrate on what the customers like, and in Miami, VIP people simply don't care who is on the decks.

I'm just being realistic. If they can pull off a Cielo, then go for it! Either way I wish them well.

Guest ramon

Pod have you thought that maybe Mokai is trying to shift the whole scene in Miami and maybe they are trying to educate the VIP crowd. Cielo started out like Mokai and now they have some of the damn best house parties in the country. Lets just see what Rony and Karim, two guys that know their music, have up their sleeve. I'm sure Thursday nights with the Pure Behrouz night are going to become legendary.

Cielo is the best club in the country. There is no comparison.

Cielo is the best club in the country. There is no comparison.

There is also no crowd like Cielo's in miami.

Guest coach

Even so, do they know or care who is on the decks?

Ah, but that wasn't related to your point. The point is, does the VIP like house (or something related to EDM)? I agree that they may not care who is on the decks, though some of them do. However, even a night where you are just out to be "seen" can be ruined by shitty music.

Behrouz is a known quality DJ. By that I mean that the club management knows that he is going to do a good job entertaining the crowd whether or not the crowd knows his name.

If Mokai can afford him without needing to use his name, then they step up the quality of experience that they offer over other VIP clubs who use DJ Box-Of-Rocks. As everyone knows, we do have quite a few VIP-type clubs & lounges in this town. How do you differentiate yourself enough to stand out?

Guest sfgrl

Even so, do they know or care who is on the decks?

Ah, but that wasn't related to your point. The point is, does the VIP like house (or something related to EDM)? I agree that they may not care who is on the decks, though some of them do. However, even a night where you are just out to be "seen" can be ruined by shitty music.

Behrouz is a known quality DJ. By that I mean that the club management knows that he is going to do a good job entertaining the crowd whether or not the crowd knows his name.

If Mokai can afford him without needing to use his name, then they step up the quality of experience that they offer over other VIP clubs who use DJ Box-Of-Rocks. As everyone knows, we do have quite a few VIP-type clubs & lounges in this town. How do you differentiate yourself enough to stand out?

Nicely put. I completely agree. Believe me, these VIP crowds are not as oblivious to music as you think. Especially the ones that come to Miami. They are jet setters that go to amazing parties in Ibiza, St. Tropez, NY, etc. etc..

Guest coach

And it may be that Pod and I are referring to two different VIP crowds. But the upper-end events that I have been to nearly all feature EDM of some type. There are a few that are hip-hop, though they tend to empty early. And the others are likely to be "open-format" featuring rock & pop, with a little of everything thrown in.

I do agree that the VIP crowd is not particularly interested in exactly who is playing, but I really don't think that is any different than any of the mass public. However, no matter what, the music creates the basis for the atmosphere. It is certainly not the *whole* atmosphere, but it sets the tone. And if the atmosphere is bad, eventually you will lose your crowd, no matter who they be.

Guest tres-b

I'm sure Thursday nights with the Pure Behrouz night are going to become legendary.

Im sure this will not happen...not that Behrouz isnt a good DJ, but when was the last time a Thursday party became "legendary"...

Do you promote this night?

Guest coach

I'm sure Thursday nights with the Pure Behrouz night are going to become legendary.

Im sure this will not happen...not that Behrouz isnt a good DJ, but when was the last time a Thursday party became "legendary"...

The Unrated Party at Mansion. Was that about a year ago?

Guest tres-b

Not sure but would you consider it legendary?

Here are some "legendary parties"...

David Mancuso's Loft parties in NYC

Larry Levan @ Paradise Garage

Danny Tenaglia's Be Yourself

Roger Sanchez's Release Yourself

Steve Lawler on the Space Terrace in Ibiza

Jonathan Peters @ Soundfactory for 24 and 36 hours straight

Sasha and Digweed's Residency @ Twilo

We Love Sundays@Space Ibiza

Oscar G @ Space

Circoloco(well on the way to Legendary status... 8))

Guest sfgrl

Well when I was in San Francisco, Behrouz's Pure Behrouz parties (marathon sets lasting 8-12 hours at least) are known to be legendary. So why not in Miami. At least to me and many others it is. God there are so many negative people on this board. Cheer up mates and no I'm not the promoter. Just a huge Behrouz fan. Give something a chance before you knock it down.

Guest tres-b

I am not being negative or knocking anything down. I am just questioning the validity of your statement. Legendary is inherently a strong word.

I like Behrouz ok. He is a decent dj...

Guest coach

Oscar G @ Space

Name some others in Miami for better comparison.

Guest sfgrl

I am not being negative or knocking anything down. I am just questioning the validity of your statement. Legendary is inherently a strong word.

I like Behrouz ok. He is a decent dj...

I agree legendary is a strong word and I think I've mentioned this before somewhere on this board. For me growing up in San Francisco, Behrouz is our Oscar G or NY's Danny T.. So, I'm basing it on my own personal experience in San Francisco. I'm just jaded in that I'm used to these long marathon sets from my fav dj's such as Behrouz, Danny Tenaglia, Francois K and others and when you are blessed with the opportunity to listen to their whole set from the beginning till the end, in my eyes and ears, it's beyond the norm. So hopefully that explains my choice of words :)

I would back up Danny or Francois any day as well.

Guest tres-b

Oscar G @ Space

Name some others in Miami for better comparison.

Weekly/Monthly:

Sundays at Nikki(like them or not)

Backdoor Bambi

Afterhours on the Space Terrace

Local Celebrity(any weekly lasting over a year in Miami is strong)

Annuals/Quarterly:

Danny Howells In BED(WMC)

Subliminal Sessions @ Space(WMC)

Sander at Space

For you Deep House Fans...Magic Sessions(Tony Humphries / Louie Vega)

Mokai is pretty nice...

but they shouldn't waste their time booking djs....people could care less who's behind the decks...

i'm going again for the Pablo ceballos gig in 2 weeks

when is this? actual date?

sim city! - vc dropped his track @ twilo 2 weekends ago - fucking sick esp in that phazon sound system in that dark ass room! insane!

Guest sfgrl

Damn Behrouz threw it down again. He was just perfect. Saw a lot of industry heads as well like Danny Tenaglia and Ralph Falcon. I told you guys that you can't miss Behrouz in a small club because he plays that West coast house music infused with the Behrouz dark signature sound.

Talked to Behrouz and he said that he is going to have his residency at Mokai until the new club on Lincoln opens (is it called Set? Its the old Spin). Heard great things about the sound system. Can't wait.

Guest Ariel

Went to QUATTRO and MOKAI last night .. very sexy places!!

:)

QUATTRO WAS THE SHIT!!!

Was there last night with my girl for dinner, Wow that chopped Veal was amazing. ;)

Guest coach

Went to QUATTRO and MOKAI last night .. very sexy places!!

:)

QUATTRO WAS THE SHIT!!!

Was there last night with my girl for dinner, Wow that chopped Veal was amazing. ;)

Have you been to Karu & Y? How does the food compare? We definitely need to check out Quattro.