Clubplanet Nightlife Community

After 50 years, Bob Barker to say goodbye to TV

ryan2772

the end of an era.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/31/tv.bobbarker.retires.ap/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Bob Barker is heading toward his last showcase, his final "Come on down."

The silver-haired daytime-TV icon is retiring in June, he told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

"I will be 83 years old on December 12," he said, "and I've decided to retire while I'm still young."

He'll hang up his microphone after 35 years as the host of "The Price Is Right" and 50 years overall in television.

Though he has been considering retirement for "at least 10 years," Barker said he has so much fun doing the show that he hasn't been able to leave.

"I've gone on and on and on to this ancient age because I've enjoyed it," he said. "I've thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm going to miss it."

Reaching dual milestones, 50 years on TV and 35 with "Price," made this an "appropriate" time to retire, Barker said. Besides, hosting the daily CBS program -- in which contestants chosen from the crowd "come on down" to compete for "showcases" that include trips, appliances and new cars -- is "demanding physically and mentally," he said.

"I'm just reaching the age where the constant effort to be there and do the show physically is a lot for me," he said. "I might be able to do the show another year, but better (to leave) a year too soon than a year too late."

Leslie Moonves, president and CEO of CBS Corporation, said Barker has left an enduring mark on the network, calling his contribution and loyalty "immeasurable."

"We knew this day would come, but that doesn't make it any easier," Moonves said in a statement. "Bob Barker is a daytime legend, an entertainment icon and one of the most beloved television personalities of our time."

Starting on 'Truth or Consequences'

Barker began his national television career in 1956 as the host of "Truth or Consequences." He first appeared on "Price" on September 4, 1972, and has been the face of the show ever since. (The show was originally called "The New Price Is Right"; the original, which ran in the '50s and '60s, was hosted by Bill Cullen.)

A CBS prime-time special celebrating the show's longevity and Barker's five decades on TV was already under way, a network spokesman said.

To kick off his retirement, Barker said he will "sit down for maybe a couple of weeks and find out what it feels like to be bored." Then he plans to spend time working with animal-rights causes, including his own DJ&T Foundation, founded in memory of his late wife, Dorothy Jo, and mother, Matilda.

He said he'd take on a movie role if the right one came along, but filmmakers, take note: "I refuse to do nude scenes. These Hollywood producers want to capitalize on my obvious sexuality, but I don't want to be just another beautiful body."

Freemantle Media, which owns "Price," has been looking for Barker's replacement for "two or three years," Barker said. And he has some advice for whoever takes the job: learn the show's 80 games backwards and forward.

"The games have to be just like riding a bicycle," Barker said. "Then he will be relaxed enough to have fun with the audience, to get the laughs with his contestants and make the show more than just straight games, to make it a lot of fun."

As for his fans, Barker said he "doesn't have the words" to express his gratitude.

"From the bottom of my heart, I thank the television viewers, because they have made it possible for me to earn a living for 50 years doing something that I thoroughly enjoy. They have invited me into their homes daily for a half a century."

But when it comes to saying his final TV goodbye, Barker said he'll do it the same way he does each day on "Price": "Help control the pet population. Have your pets spayed or neutered."

Guest JMT

:'( :'( :'(

the greatest game show host and the greatest game show of all time!

PC3.jpg

i dont see how the show can continue. CBS might as well cancel it.

Guest dahzel

"Help control the pet population, remember to get your pets spayed or neutered", I think I heard that before I even knew what spayed or neutered was.

I was wondering when this was going to happen, he's getting up there.

"THE PRICE IS WRONG BITCH"!!!

ya think he ever had "relations" with any of his show girls? :-\

Guest durrtylexx

BB made sexual harassment and bangin your hot female staff into American Intitutions...

Bob Barker, we salute you!

lol

;D

Guest swank

Hi Bling Blong -

Bob Barker has announced his retirement, so this could be your last chance to see a TV legend and become a contestant who comes home with a showcase!

On several dates starting on Nov.1, 2006 guests using HollywoodTickets.com will have priority tickets which bypass the normal 6:00 AM registration process and allow you to arrive at the check-in time of 10:45 AM. This is the most convenient and hassle-free way to get in to the show!

If you'd like free priority tickets, you can print them online at http://www.hollywoodtickets.com/ShowPages/PriceIsRight.asp while they are available. If shows are marked as "Full," please check back daily as dates are added as they become available.

Emails will NOT be sent for each schedule change, so look daily for more tickets to Price is Right at HollywoodTickets.com.

>>PLEASE DO NOT MAKE TICKETS IF YOU CAN NOT ATTEND. Guests who get tickets and do not use them will not be invited back. Thank you for your cooperation.

We've sent many showcase winners over the years and hope to add you to the list!. And don't forget to say goodbye to Bob!

Thanks,

Sarah Barques

www.HollywoodTickets.com

tickets@HollywoodTickets.com

818-688-3974

Guest JMT

Hi Bling Blong -

Bob Barker has announced his retirement, so this could be your last chance to see a TV legend and become a contestant who comes home with a showcase!

On several dates starting on Nov.1, 2006 guests using HollywoodTickets.com will have priority tickets which bypass the normal 6:00 AM registration process and allow you to arrive at the check-in time of 10:45 AM. This is the most convenient and hassle-free way to get in to the show!

If you'd like free priority tickets, you can print them online at http://www.hollywoodtickets.com/ShowPages/PriceIsRight.asp while they are available. If shows are marked as "Full," please check back daily as dates are added as they become available.

Emails will NOT be sent for each schedule change, so look daily for more tickets to Price is Right at HollywoodTickets.com.

>>PLEASE DO NOT MAKE TICKETS IF YOU CAN NOT ATTEND. Guests who get tickets and do not use them will not be invited back. Thank you for your cooperation.

We've sent many showcase winners over the years and hope to add you to the list!. And don't forget to say goodbye to Bob!

Thanks,

Sarah Barques

www.HollywoodTickets.com

tickets@HollywoodTickets.com

818-688-3974

i went to a taping last year and it was a bitch waiting in line that early in the morning. it was worth it however. its a very funny experience. thanks for posting this, my sister wants to try and go before hes done.

Guest JMT

The Top 10 Things We’ll Miss About Bob Barker

Yesterday, it was announced the Bob Barker will be leaving The Price is Right after 35 years as its host. The Price is Right was hands down our favorite gameshow of all time. To honor his departure, here are Top Ten Things We’ll Miss About Bob Barker:

10. The $100 bill he kept in his pocket. When someone in the opening game bid the exact right price, Bob would reach into his pocket and produce a reward of 100 bucks. So Grandfatherly, so warm. We imagine the bill smells like Werther’s Originals and pipe tobacco.

9. The Most Feminine Microphone in the Biz. It takes a real man to use a long, skinny mic like that.

8. The Ol’ “Let’s Check If You’re A Winner Fake-Out†Trick. Bob waits until the height of aniticipation, leans in the hit the revealing button to see if the contestant is a winner, then takes this opportunity to find out where the player is from, how many kids he/she has, etc. The audience groans, and fantastic television is made. This trick is most often employed during “The Dice Game†and “Spelling Bee.â€

7. Female contestants kissing Bob on the cheek. We long to feel the leathery crevaced surface of his face brush against our quivering lips.

6. His laugh. Sure, most of the time it’s done politely. But ever once in a while, a contestant would catch him off guard, and he would genuinely crack-up.

5. Bob and his Plinko Stick. Back before “modern technology†created a clog-free Plinko board, every now and again one of the oversized purple chips would get stuck between the pegs. Such an emergency forced Bob to retrieve his Unclogging Stick (a long white baton), and finagle the chip from its Plinko prison. And he did it with ease, folks.

4. His G.I. Joe Helmet Hair.

3. Bob losing his patience. Sure, he’s a game show host, but he’s also a game show proctor. He’s the captain of the pricing ship! Meaning sometimes he has to hurry people along and ends up losing his patience. Often seen when people have difficulty coming up with a bid during the Showcase Showdown (â€James, we need your bid.â€) Best exemplified in the following clip of probably the dumbest contestant in Price is Right history.

2. The Creepy Old Grandpa You’re Glad Isn’t Your Grandpa. You couldn’t compile a list of Bob Barker related memories without bringing up the famous sexual harassment suit brought about by one of his Barker’s Beauties (and more would attest to the constant sexual and verbal abuse around the studio.) In a way, it kinda made us love the creepy old dirty bastard, though we were always grateful to keep our Barker-related fantasies filed under “Imaginations Only.†Try watching this clip of Bob Barker and his Beauties without picturing the four of them in some sort of Ancient Chinese mating ritual, we dare you.

1. Bob’s Signature Sign-Off. We hate to think of what the future holds for animal population control without Bob’s trademarked sign-off, “Have Your Pets Spayed or Neutered.†Will the new host adopt this phrase? And if so, will it feel completely phony? But what of the animals? Is anybody thinking of the animals?!?! Let’s reminisce for a moment, and watch the following non-intentionally hilarious video featuring Bob, some Clip Art, and a message of hope.

click link to see videos: http://www.bestweekever.tv/2006/11/01/the-top-10-things-well-miss-about-bob-barker/

Guest JMT

That mic is a Neumann KM140. ;D I want one.

hilarious that you knew that. i did a search and i see that his is custom modified for the length.