Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Jews take root in Capitol Hill

Bling

Jews take root in Capitol Hill

Democrats may have conquered both houses of Congress, and so have Jewish politicians. Number of Jewish senators rises from 11 t o13 and number of Jewish representatives jumps to 30 thanks to six new faces creating all-time high of Jewish politicians in Congress. Another precedent: First Muslim elected to House

The picture isn't complete yet, but it seems that the Democrats executed a double takeover in the mid-term elections and have taken control not only in the House of Representatives, but also in the Senate. It also turns out that the number of Jews in the two houses of Congress has hit an all-time high.

Jewish Vote

87 percent of Jews vote Democrat / Yitzhak Benhorin

Democratic Party wins largest percentage of Jewish support since 1994. Elections expert: Jews voted for candidates good for Israel, but also focused on other issues

Full story

An accurate count shows that the number of Jewish senators has risen from 11 to 13, with the addition of two former representatives Benjamin Cardin (Maryland-D) and Bernard Sanders (Vermont-I) who were successfully elected to the Senate.

Sander's and Cardin's departure from the House didn't lower the number of Jews there – on the contrary. The number of Jewish representatives elected to the House of Representatives also grew.

They now number 30 thanks to six new faces: Gabrielle Giffords (Arizona), Ronald Klein (Florida), John Yarmuth (Kentucky), Paul Hodes (New Hampshire), Stephen Cohen (Tennessee), and Steve Kagen (Wisconsin). They are all Democrats.

'Time for US to see a moderate Muslim voice'

At the same time, a new precedent was set with the election of the first Muslim to Capitol Hill. Keith Ellison (Minnesota) was elected to the House of Representatives on the Democratic ticket. Ellison's election is also unprecedented in that he is the first African American to be elected to Congress from Minnesota.

During his campaign tour, Ellison, 43, decidedly didn't refer to either of these issues – the color of his skin, or the religion that he adopted at the age of 20.

He campaigned mainly on social and economic issues for advancing the middle class, and upgrading education. He was emphatic about not running as "the Muslim candidate," but as the American who wants to improve the conditions in his country.

However, he said that he knows that his election will send a clear message to the American public and to the legislators on Capitol Hill.

“I think it’s time for the United States to see a moderate Muslim voice, to see a face of Islam that is just like everybody else’s face,†Ellison said. “Perhaps it would be good for somebody who is Muslim to be in Congress, so that Muslims would feel like they are part of the body politic and that other Americans would know that we’re here to make a contribution to this country.â€

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3326053,00.html

Guest slamminshaun

Jewish Vote

87 percent of Jews vote Democrat

no surprise there .... 8)

87 percent of Jews vote Democrat, yet Israeli's are not happy about the outcome of this election?

only way i see it is historically Democrats have gotten the minority vote while the caucasian (upper middle class and rich votes) go to the GOP ...

I just think its apprehension on the part of Jewish Israelis when it comes to the way Democrats like to usually deal with crisis...mulitlateral negotiations instead of the way the GOP under Bush has done lately..

they see Iran as a immenent threat and they probably see a Democratic Congress as something that will slow down the pressure on Iran somewhat.

yeah its confusing

Guest coach

Jewish Vote

87 percent of Jews vote Democrat

no surprise there .... 8)

87 percent of Jews vote Democrat' date=' yet Israeli's are not happy about the outcome of this election?

[/quote']I would suspect it is because the American Jews prefer the Democratic domestic policy, whereas the Israelis like the military support that the Republicans offer.

Guest JMT

to me it's sh*t like this that constantly causes division between people. where's the unity in this country? who cares how many jewish politicians there are? i don't care how many gentile politicians there are...

i guess that means bling discriminates.

Guest slamminshaun

to me it's sh*t like this that constantly causes division between people. where's the unity in this country? who cares how many jewish politicians there are? i don't care how many gentile politicians there are...

Well, it's written by a Jewish guy for a Jewish website, what'd ya expect? I see the mainstream media running around making a big deal about Pelosi being a woman. Who cares right? It's the media that always points out our differences while simultaneously asking, why do we discriminate?

Guest cire

i agree.

Guest pod

For whatever reason, faith plays a huge part in how people vote.

To me, a preoccupation with the next world represents an inability to deal with this one, but that's just me.

Unfortunately, you could have the most gifted, respectable politician in the world, a man or woman who could make a lasting peace between the Arabs and Israel, a man or woman who could end poverty, and if he or she declared they were an agnostic or atheist, they'd be burned at the stake.

Guest slamminshaun

Agnostics can't comprehend how religious people view the world, yet expect the religious people to understand their Godless views. Religious people don't have an "inability to deal with the current life". Their preoccupation with the afterlife is due to the fact that they truly, 100% believe that the physical life is simply a test on which afterlife they'll pass on to.....the same way you truly, 100% believe it's a sham. So who's right? It really doesn't matter. In the end, one of you will be proven right....let's just hope for the agnostic's sake, it's not the religious folks.

Guest coach

Agnostics can't comprehend how religious people view the world' date=' yet expect the religious people to understand their Godless views.

[/quote']Whoa, Shaun made a good point.

Guest pod

I can comprehend how, I mean I don't demean those who choose to have faith in a higher power. I respect their beliefs, I just want them to respect mine.