Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is a weekly minimal night viable in Miami?

Guest Juniper

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DJ Nova

now your acccusing your audience of not being educated muscially. i tell you what, go talk to one of those kids at Space that are grinning from ear-to-ear and tell them they are being ripped off and the club owners just aren't "exposing them" to the cutting edge music they should be listening to. i hate to break it to you - but thats a tough sell.

i am sure pills have something to do with that...

I'm not accusing the audience of anything but being victims, the venues are the ones that are ultimately QUESTIONING the intelligence of all you "clubgoers" by not booking more diverse talent. They don't think you can handle it ......so then who is questioning who ?

Guest mr.miami

now your acccusing your audience of not being educated muscially. i tell you what, go talk to one of those kids at Space that are grinning from ear-to-ear and tell them they are being ripped off and the club owners just aren't "exposing them" to the cutting edge music they should be listening to. i hate to break it to you - but thats a tough sell.

i am sure pills have something to do with that...

I'm not accusing the audience of anything but being victims, the venues are the ones that are ultimately QUESTIONING the intelligence of all you "clubgoers" by not booking more diverse talent. They don't think you can handle it ......so then who is questioning who ?

When I go out I dont go out to get some intelligence I go out to have fun and get stupid on occasions. If I wanted intelligence Id hang out in a library.

My motivations to go out

1. Drink

2. the venue

3. I'm willing to listen to anything as long as it isnt only hip hop and country

4. dance some

5. Watch and see what type of jack asses other people make of themselves when they go out

6. Socialize some with complete strangers you would never have met shut in in your house on a Saturday night.

Guest pod

The clubs aren't questioning the intelligence, they're making wise business decisions by "playing it safe".

And as you well know, there's always politics. The top-quality venues can't just book whomever they desire. There's agency loyalites and such to be aware of.

Victims? Oh please. It's a fucking guy playing someone else's music. Victims are the kids in Africa stepping on landmines. Victims are the kids in Opa-Locka who have to be inside before it's dark lest they get beat up or worse.

Clubgoers victims? Hardly. Yeah I was a real victim at Space this past Sunday morning when I had a shot or ten with my friends. My friend was a real victim when he went home with a gorgeous Asian girl. Oh the humanity.

Get some priorities already.

Guest DJ Nova

don't take me out of context , we're in nightlife forum .....not a humanity forum......In life there are all kinds of victims.

It's not about educating it's about a better environment than what you presently have....that 's it....if you're satisfied with it fine, BUT if you're not.....then there are some options (should be more) hopefully sooner than later .

If you don't like what I have to say, that's fine , I'm being honest in what I say and I have some experience to back it up. It's nothing personal with anyone or vicious vendetta of mine......this has nothing to do with me and everything to do with the state of music in the US, and specially here in Miami , the fuckin mecca of commercialized music.

Guest myles hie

do the night, have a blast, maybe even educate some heads and spread your music..but don't come on here in 6 months and say the scene sucks 'cause no one showed up and you lost a bunch of money booking talent who nobody knows. Promoting your night will be the most thankless job you will ever have. Do it 'cause you want to do it, not because you have stars in your eyes.

Good luck, work hard and have fun. ;D

Guest Philip

my point is you got kids in hog-heaven (clubs like Space) having a great time listening to Oscar G, Cedric, etc. every weekend and they are having an absolute blast! hardly victims. give me one good reason why club owners should book more diverse talent. they aren't questioning or insulting clubgoers intelligence - they are giving them exactly what they want! you really must look at it from a business standpoint as well. why should i spend $15,000 more for say someone like Sasha when my club would be just as packed for Oscar G marathon night? if im club owner A and and all my patrons are happy why should i take a chance on switching talent? if you own a restaurant and people come from miles around for your meatloaf you wouldn't suddenly serve them noodle soup because you think its better. its not the resonsibilty of club owners to educate their audience. its the clubbers. something tells me if LP could make money on a minimal night it would have been here along time ago. Space isn't packed every weekend because people are just being so victimized and deprived. when i go there it looks to me like the time of their life.

Guest JMT
The most important thing in going out is the party. Not the DJ, not the music, but the overall party, of which the DJ is an element of.

this thread should have ended there.

Guest Juniper

so the 1st logical step would be to found a night based on current global dance trends, promote the fuck out of it...talk your way into a club which would gamble on such a thing; then see where you land?

Guest pod

Don't throw a loaded term like victim then. Nightlife forum or not, it's hardly a travesty because DJ Box-of-Rocks isn't getting booked. His own damn fault to be honest. There's no secret committee of club owners looking to keep him down.

Some people take going out and having fun way too seriously. Where's the fun in that. You stress so much over a stupid DJ booking that you forget that the purpose of going out at night is to have fun. If I want music education, I'll stay home and look it up on the Wiki where I can concentrate on the nuances. I'm out, I'm doing what I do, having a drink or ten, and hanging with my friends, not stroking my chin over the latest DJ Smellslikefish remix of Niles Crane's "My Camera Sucks at ISO 6400".

Guest Philip
The most important thing in going out is the party. Not the DJ, not the music, but the overall party, of which the DJ is an element of.

this thread should have ended there.

yeah. that pretty much says it all

Guest DJ Nova

Don't throw a loaded term like victim then. Nightlife forum or not, it's hardly a travesty because DJ Box-of-Rocks isn't getting booked. His own damn fault to be honest. There's no secret committee of club owners looking to keep him down.

Some people take going out and having fun way too seriously. Where's the fun in that. You stress so much over a stupid DJ booking that you forget that the purpose of going out at night is to have fun. If I want music education, I'll stay home and look it up on the Wiki where I can concentrate on the nuances. I'm out, I'm doing what I do, having a drink or ten, and hanging with my friends, not stroking my chin over the latest DJ Smellslikefish remix of Niles Crane's "My Camera Sucks at ISO 6400".

where's the fun in hearing the same djs and the same music over and over....?

these are some of the best parties in the world, and we're missing out on that. Maybe you don't tthink Miami deserves it but I do .....I mean if we were talking about any other form of music.......it would be a totally different story...

If we were talkin about rock music and our era was the 60-70's (below is just as a comparison of music, not real just as an example):

Then Miami only books these acts(while still very cool,also see who is NOT getting booked):

The Beatles

Sonni & Cher

The Beegies

Bob Dylan

(these acts over and over and over again)

Acts that are not getting booked(and it is to this degree, it's very serious):

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Kraftwerk

The Doors

it's just a comparison, but this is exactly what is happening here just with a diferent form of music.

Guest Juniper

It makes me die a little bit inside when I see M.A.N.D.Y, Trentemoller, even fucking Loco Dice booked stateside & they cannot be bothered to hit up Miami (WMC being our only saving grace)

Guest ramon

It makes me die a little bit inside when I see M.A.N.D.Y, Trentemoller, even fucking Loco Dice booked stateside & they cannot be bothered to hit up Miami (WMC being our only saving grace)

i feel exactly the same way.

Guest pod

Deserve? Deserve what? Every time I'm at a decent club in town, people are having a good time, and they really aren't paying attention to who is on the decks.

As long as they're having a good time, who cares who is playing? It could be you, Tiësto, or Box of Rocks.

At the end of the night if they had a good time, that's all that really counts.

Also, if you want to see these acts, we now own and operate a full-fledged travel agency. We can book your flight, hotel, car, and even arrange complimentary entrance into most venues in most cities around the world. Check out www.wanttravel.com for more info.

Self-promotion aside, what I mean is that part of the fun of traveling is seeing new things. If Miami was like these other markets, why would we travel? Let Miami be Miami, and wherever DJ Box of Rocks is playing be itself too.

You can't force your tastes on a populace that doesn't need or want them.

Guest DJ Nova

I'm not wanting to argue or fight with anyone .....my point is Miami has the potential to be just as dope as any other city: berlin, barcelona, paris, NY.....but it would need to book like such:

The Beatles

Sonni & Cher

The Beegies

Bob Dylan

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Kraftwerk

The Doors

and others...

instead of the one-sided-ness mentioned above :)

Guest Juniper
You can't force your tastes on a populace that doesn't need or want them.

Thats how I feel everytime I go out & hear 'WORLD THROW YOUR HANDS UP FOR MIAMI' by Ferry Van Douchenbag; if every other city, shit if Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale can get more progressivly musical artists than Miami must be able to support this emerging market for new musics. I much appreciate those who are trying and believe but the monotony must end somewhere..

Guest DJ Nova

POD you also DIDN'T grow up here.....so yeah to you...of course who cares Miami doesn't desrve anything.....

I know what this city is capable of. Of course it's nice to travel, but shouldn't be FORCED to ?! I can't believe some of the things I read here , but I'm glad it's allin writing in the end.

Guest Philip

i feel exactly the same way.

"dying inside" is a little harsh for me, but i know what you mean :). it would be incredible to have a scene supporting events like that.

Guest pod

But what's the justification? What would that do for Miami? We've got a club scene that most other cities would die to have.

You'd be happy, and maybe ten other people on this forum. In all honesty, the crowd here could give a rats ass about most of the talent you mentioned. Not to dispute their talent, they're good at what they do, but around these parts, what's the point? I don't market my photography to Time Magazine because Time could give a hoot about people getting drunk in nightclubs.

It isn't worth the effort of changing the minds of people whose minds don't want to be changed. If Miami wants DJ Niles Crane, they'll ask for him, and either LP or Grutman will book him.

As a businessman I would not bother with some booking when I could turn that around into production or just pure profit.

After all, the Benz, high-priced whores from Kiev, and kilos of blow don't magically pay for themselves. As a dirty capitalist, I've got to trod down on the proles and show them that The Man is really out to get them. Excuse me, I've got to go watch last night's TiVo of Family Guy on my 103" 1080p display.