Clubplanet Nightlife Community

our celebrity-driven music 'culture' blows...

Guest Adam Singer

Guest Adam Singer

(electronic music) is not about you or me or any one person or group of people... its not really about anyone, it is about a movement of exciting music (or at least it was)

all the promoters/publicists incessantly flooding us with people's names, and pushing their musical tastes on electronic culture suck - they're missing the point entirely of what music culture should be - and further serve to dilute "the scene" (or whatever is left of it, god i hate that word)...there is also accepted promotion, and there is hype...its a fine line, you know if you're crossing it

maybe im just tired of/don't buy all the hype around certain things in edm culture (especially in miami)...yeah yeah saleen its 'entertainment' not 'art' to you, and to many of you -- but not to some of us...

i challenge you to de-market/de-program yourself and seek out something unique, instead of embracing and following music that is the status quo...not anything specific, just try something different for a week -- you'll be surprised what's out there

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest musicalmissionary

Yin and yang man... everything has an opposite. If overhyped skin-deep bullshit didn't exist then genuine quality deep stuff wouldn't either. Chill the fuck out and stick to the good shit... it's out there... you know this.

Guest pod

Shut up, Klaus.

This old argument again?

I see this a lot. I hate to say it, but you have the luxury of doing what you do in dance music, because you're not dependent on it to make a living. You have a "normal" job during the day doing PR.

It's very common. I know a lot of artists who knock down historic buildings, sell cookie-cutter condos, car insurance, cars, etc during the day, and produce ambient noise, swirls of random color, or lumps of clay resembling turtles eating dogshit at night. Stuff that only their mothers would love.

Then there's the set of people (myself included) who don't have the temperament to deal with "regular" careers. I'll be honest, I'm the guy they worried would go postal in a normal office job. I was best suited stuck in a server room with no human interaction. But I'm digressing. What I'm getting at is, there's people who will conduct one form of their art to make ends meet (i.e. take product photography during the day, make commercial jingles, etc...) so they can do what they want with that art form at night, and also finance their art...i.e. get better lenses, better recording consoles, etc.

What I'm getting at is that unfortunately, nothing except the air we breathe is free, and sometimes people who make art have to make compromises in that art to survive and get by. I hate to say it, but if we let the "music heads" run clubland, there'd be no clubs.

Guest myles hie

(electronic music) is not about you or me or any one person or group of people... its not really about anyone, it is about a movement of exciting music (or at least it was)

all the promoters/publicists incessantly flooding us with people's names, and pushing their musical tastes on electronic culture suck - they're missing the point entirely of what music culture should be - and further serve to dilute "the scene" (or whatever is left of it, god i hate that word)...there is also accepted promotion, and there is hype...its a fine line, you know if you're crossing it

maybe im just tired of/don't buy all the hype around certain things in edm culture (especially in miami)...yeah yeah saleen its 'entertainment' not 'art' to you, and to many of you -- but not to some of us...

i challenge you to de-market/de-program yourself and seek out something unique, instead of embracing and following music that is the status quo...not anything specific, just try something different for a week -- you'll be surprised what's out there

Growing pains my friend. When a bigger audience gets involved, things cant help to spread out and change. Thats because you have a wider audience with different opinions and tastes. The "original concept or idea" may get diluted in the process but overall its ok because it means thats its getting bigger and more solidified.

I understand you want everybody to "get it", but it ain't gonna happen. Not everyone wants to rave till dawn, or go clubbing, but would still like to enjoy EDM. People will also have different tastes in music and styles but as long as its under the EDM umbrella, its all good imo. Every style of music has its cheese factor, pop, punk, country, rap all have "commercial" artists that people like.

What you should really be concerned about is this thing not getting bigger or evolving faster.

"Iknow a lot of artists who knock down historic buildings, sell cookie-cutter condos, car insurance, cars, etc during the day, and produce ambient noise, swirls of random color, or lumps of clay resembling turtles eating dogshit at night. Stuff that only their mothers would love. "

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO

Guest pod

It's the truth. You'd be surprised at it. Hell, Franz Kafka sold life insurance all his life. The downside was he really wasn't recognized as an author until he was dead. Hate to say it, but dying is a great way to drive the value of your art up.

Guest Philip

quit yer bitchin!

exactly. your worse than the stereo-typical woman Adam. who gives a fuck? culture is what it is. who are you to say whats right and wrong? culture can't be either. its a reflection. Christ on a bike - chill out and take a Xanax or something buddy ;)

EDM is more exciting to me than ever by the way

Guest pod

That's "Christ on a crutch".

At some point though, Adam is gonna have to make a decision though regarding his art. He'll find that his PR job will take more and more of his time, and he'll have less time to do 'art for art's sake'.

Guest pod

You're really not gonna get much of an indignant rise out of anyone. Pretty much the general consensus so far seems to be, "Shut up, Klaus".

Guest Philip

im not bitching, just stirring the waters

dude, when the call to "de-market/de-program yourself" theme appears in most articles you write - thats bitchn'. it also comes across as talking down to your audience. people that go out and have fun every weekend (unlike you) don't need to hear how bad or how wrong it is. that aspect of your writing makes you appear WAY out of touch as well.

Adam, I don't mean to rip into you to much - your a nice guy in person and every time ive seen you out. normally i wouldn't even take the time of day to respond to someone mouthing off on the board, but your presenting us with a published article that is representing are scene to the public. i think you would agree that automatically turns you into a dartboard. so if i disagree i am definitely gonna let it rip. nothing personal.

Guest pod

I've been on a lot of people about this. It's one thing to promote something you like, but never talk down to a potential audience, even if you're doing "art for art's sake...". The day may come where your special brand of music might be in demand, but no one will want to deal with you because their impression will be of "that ass from the forums...".

Guest Adam Singer

Go for it if you want, but you are talking down to people whether you realize it or not. Nobody likes to feel stupid or inadequate.

agreed...if you feel stupid or inadequate by what i said i apologize to you, although i dont think anyone does...

Guest myles hie

Go for it if you want, but you are talking down to people whether you realize it or not. Nobody likes to feel stupid or inadequate.

hmmm..Pot meeting Kettle? ;)

Guest pod

I don't make anyone feel inadequate. I make people angry, there's a difference. I'll call people assholes, ingrates, or just plain fuckstick, but never insult their intelligence.

Guest myles hie

I don't make anyone feel inadequate. I make people angry, there's a difference. I'll call people assholes, ingrates, or just plain fuckstick, but never insult their intelligence.

i don't know man, i have read a few comments inparticular where you stated that if someone had a certain opinion you said they were stupid. There's definitely some condescending overtones in your posts. But hey its your world we just post in it. right?

Guest obby

The man who follows the crowd, will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been before. You have two choices in life; you can dissolve into the mainstream, or you can be distinct. To be distinct, you must be different. To be different you must strive to be what no one else but you can be.

;)