Clubplanet Nightlife Community

JAMES BROWN - R.I.P

absolut_v

Singer James Brown, known as the "Godfather of Soul", has died at the age of 73, his agent has said.

He was admitted to hospital in Atlanta after being diagnosed with severe pneumonia but died at 0145 local time (0645 GMT), said Frank Copsidas.

The star was famous for hits including I Got You (I Feel Good), Papa's Got a Brand New Bag and Living in America.

"He is such an influence, I learned so much from him," Mr Copsidas told the BBC World Service.

"On Friday he had his toy giveaway, which is his annual toy giveaway in Augusta, Georgia.

"On Saturday, he went to his dentist up in Atlanta, and his dentist told him something was wrong, and he sent him to a doctor immediately."

String of hits

Brown was born in 1933 in South Carolina.

He joined a gospel group as a young man after his release from jail for trying to steal a car.

Brown's songs have been widely sampled by other artists

Here is link to a live show done last year @ age of 72

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5070028

Guest JoeBudious

james.jpg

The Godfather of Soul

Creator of the One Beat

Hardest working man in show business.

Hit me!

R.I.P. Mr. James Brown

I will dance to your music as long as my knees don't give out.

Guest phillydred

This could be the worst thing thats happened all year....... I know some of will think this is bullshit but if it wasn´t for this guy there wouldnt be house music.....no dnb.......no breaks......none of it. I wish he could´ve cut out all the drinking and drugs....He would have been able to bang out another 15 years. RIP

Guest pod

That it is, that it is. Unfortunately in our little slice of "heaven" most people can't see beyond the drinking or the drugs to realize that. Then they get pissy when you point that out. Don't get me started.

RIP James Brown.

this is very sad. most def. James brown is the forefather of House and of course Soulful music.......

also hip hop/rap.........

he did it all......

there are very few true legends left alive.... very sad

James Brown IMHO up there with Elvis.......