Defected Cancels Their 2007 WMC Event

Guest xmuzik

Guest xmuzik

post from their site

http://forum.defected.com/viewtopic.php?t=19827

The point is lost.

Reasons why we ain't going to do a party:

1. There way are too many parties.

2. There are fewer and fewer punters that actually know their shit.

3. It takes 3 hours to get through immigration.

4 It takes 3 hours for a cab to go 4 blocks up Collins Ave. The traffic is appalling

5. The sound systems are appalling and the attitude of the clubs is even worse.

6. The City of Miami does not actually want the event to happen. closing down parties for NOISE, parking your car outside a club, over crowding, people having a good time, some bloke picking their nose in public.

I am sure that it is going to happen, well something will be going on.... but as to if it is has been actually a 'happening' event over the last few yeras is something that has been discussed for a while now.

It used to be about networking, promoting your shit around the Fontainbleau. The moment they moved away from the poolside focal point the event gradually lost more and more focus.

It takes ages to plan an event like this and costs are considerable. If it was your time and money.....would you bother????

Guest web_norah

Defected was probably one of the better pool parties and (hardest to get into as it was industry only)..............Oh well. There will be 1000000 other daytime things going on.

They do make a bunch of good points though.

1. There way are too many parties TRUE

2. There are fewer and fewer punters that actually know their shit. YES

5. The sound systems are appalling and the attitude of the clubs is even worse. FOR OUTSIDERS, people travelling from other countries attitude and way people get treated is WRONG and makes one not want to come back ever.

Guest frankthetank

Treatment...

It's Miami man, everyone thinks their shit doesn't stink and everyone is out for themselves only. At least that is the generalization.

Guest frankthetank

They sound pretty ungrateful to me.

Actually it sounds like that person is having the Terrible Tuesdays and hasn't gotten laid in a month. ;D

Guest spinderella7713

I thought this opinion was just a rumor I was hearing from different people here and there, but turns out alot of big dj's are starting to have a bad image of Miami. I dont blame the half of them.

Guest pod

You hear that every year. And I have yet to hear a big DJ say substantially they aren't coming around conference time for anything like this.

Guest spinderella7713

You hear that every year. And I have yet to hear a big DJ say substantially they aren't coming around conference time for anything like this.

Im not saying conference ...Im saying in General.....When is the last time Carl Cox was in Miami? not since last WMC......he has been in Broward, yes...but not Miami. And I heard he doesnt like how the system has ended up hear either.

Guest pod

No big loss. We get plenty of other people coming down here outside of conference.

Some might complain, but when they get paid better than average, the complaining magically stops.

Guest coach
1. There way are too many parties TRUE

This is the funniest point of the bunch, in my opinion. So, who should we tell that they can't have their party here at that time?

Guest web_norah

well, here is my point ...a lot of these people are dishing out over 600 bucks on airfare coming from Europe or the northeast + crazy hotel fares and the amenities.....and to have a party shut down, poorly attended and or deal with all the club bs..................

it makes sense to me - if they don't feel like having one, financially speaking ....

Guest pod

Yeah if they can't afford it, they can't afford it. But why go all out like that? I'm tracking the thread on Defected's forum, and they're calling Barbarino "racist" and so forth, when the original poster, (Simon Dunmore?), is walking the line himself. If not racist, certainly elitist.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. I thought dance music was supposed to be inclusive, not exclusive. I don't go to a lot of parties of the trainspotter(i'll retire my use of this)music head genre because frankly I don't feel the inclusiveness. As if my lack of understanding the music is a sin. I'm no music expert, but I've audited enough classes to get by.

Guest web_norah

well i think Dunmore is venting out because the Defected party was in fact the 'industry' real deal and i guess over the years, they no longer feel that way about wmc and their party ..........

Guest web_norah

Well yeah, but let's be reasonable, with a huge label like Defected, how could one hope to still keep it "industry only"?

exactly. now they're big

10 yrs ago ...they were still small and buzz of the industry

hey so is it true that Subliminal is doing a pool party?

that'll be GUIDO heaven hehe.

Guest pod

No idea. I wouldn't think so, they tend to go all out for Subliminal at Space. Most of the big pools are spoken for and I haven't seen Subliminal listed on them.

I'd settle for guido events if that's where I have to go to hear someone like Chus & Ceballos who I have never seen live. We aren't spoiled like NYC in my own point of view that is when it comes to the NYC/Spain/Portugal Dj's playing in Miami.

Shit im going to Space to see them and the following day for the pool party along w/ vc/dt. That should be a good memorable 24 hours.

Than choice of either both of them once again with all of the Stereo crew or Boris @ the Shelbourne.

Tough decisions.

Guest Cosmigonon

I'd settle for guido events if that's where I have to go to hear someone like Chus & Ceballos who I have never seen live. We aren't spoiled like NYC in my own point of view that is when it comes to the NYC/Spain/Portugal Dj's playing in Miami.

Shit im going to Space to see them and the following day for the pool party along w/ vc/dt. That should be a good memorable 24 hours.

Than choice of either both of them once again with all of the Stereo crew or Boris @ the Shelbourne.

Tough decisions.

+1

Guest Tboyo

Let's face it, if you talk to most of the promoters/labels throwing parties at WMC they ALL have a similar attitude to Mr Dunmore only he's the only one taking a stand a saaying it.

I've thrown parties in Miami at WMC and it's a nightmare attituide all round, from Immigration on landing, the city officials with their noise monitors, the club owners and their attitudes to the 'spring breakers' who wouldn'y know the difference between House, Techno or Breakbeats. The USA seems to lump it all together and call it rave,(so 1987).

YES there are too many parties

YES it's too expensive

YES the spring breakers are tossers and shouldn't be asking a DJ to play R&B

YES the welcome mat is nowhere to be seen (City of Miami Beach / Immigration)

and YES WMC is in danger of imploding and the 'party' moving away.

Barcelona SONAR fesitval is where it's at, no attitude, they welcome the party crowds with open arms and the prices are not hiked up to screw the visitors.

YES I'll be at WMC again, where else am I going to get a tan in March.