Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Goodbye, touch-screen voting machines!

Guest saintjohn

Guest saintjohn

Good news for voters of every political persuasion:

Gov. Charlie Crist announced plans on Thursday to abandon the touch-screen voting machines that many of Florida’s counties installed after the disputed 2000 presidential election. The state will instead adopt a system of casting paper ballots counted by scanning machines in time for the 2008 presidential election.

Voting experts said Florida’s move, coupled with new federal voting legislation expected to pass this year, could be the death knell for the paperless electronic touch-screen machines. If as expected the Florida Legislature approves the $32.5 million cost of the change, it would be the nation’s biggest repudiation yet of touch-screen voting, which was widely embraced after the 2000 recount as a state-of-the-art means of restoring confidence that every vote would count.

Florida is leading the nation in voting process reform. Who knew?

Guest saintjohn
scantron sheets

Once upon a time, if you checked that little "key" box near the bottom of your Scantron sheet, you'd get a 100% on your test. And all of the sheets that went through the machine after yours would be graded according to your answers.

It took the Scantron company YEARS to figure out that kids were hacking the system that way. Most teachers never paid enough attention to notice, either.

It's good to have a paper trail.

scantron sheets

Once upon a time, if you checked that little "key" box near the bottom of your Scantron sheet, you'd get a 100% on your test. And all of the sheets that went through the machine after yours would be graded according to your answers.

It took the Scantron company YEARS to figure out that kids were hacking the system that way. Most teachers never paid enough attention to notice, either.

It's good to have a paper trail.

wow that's hilarious, i had no idea! f*ckin sneaky kids, i tell ya

Guest soozin

they should just use scantron sheets (w/ #2 pencil, of course)

lol awesome idea.. gonna have to search voters for chapstik, tho

Guest coach

Hey, nothing like abandoning the 21st century for the 19th. Maybe we should start bleeding people with leeches again.

I mean, if the fuctards at Diebold cannot make their machines operate properly, we should get our money back and find new machines that do work properly. But to just abandon a good technology is stupid.

Guest saintjohn

They don't have to abandon the technology, but Diebold pretty much refused to address documented security flaws, and I think that refusal destroyed whatever credibility their products might've had.

It would be nice to have physical ballots (without hanging chads) to recount in the event of a contested election.

Guest coach

They don't have to abandon the technology, but Diebold pretty much refused to address documented security flaws, and I think that refusal destroyed whatever credibility their products might've had.

It would be nice to have physical ballots (without hanging chads) to recount in the event of a contested election.

Personally, I think the Diebold execs should be tossed in the clink. In any case, I would say we NO WAY go back to them for new machines.

A paper trail would have been easy enough to install. You have a little printer printout that goes with each ballot, like a shopping receipt. Small, conserves paper and easy to handle.

Guest saintjohn
Personally, I think the Diebold execs should be tossed in the clink. In any case, I would say we NO WAY go back to them for new machines.

A paper trail would have been easy enough to install. You have a little printer printout that goes with each ballot, like a shopping receipt. Small, conserves paper and easy to handle.

+1