Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Operation no more junk mail...

Just checked my mail for 4 days worth, about 50% reduction so far.

Turns out the CC/Insurance peeps do their lists quarterly so I think I may be off their list already.

However the DMA didn't cash my check yet, so when that goes threw most of my mail should stop since 75% of junk mail comes from their list.

Got The Flyer today, sending another message to them to stop, this time in writing!

I think in about a month, I should have virtually no mail!

did you opt out yet?

Yes i did last saturday!!!!!!!! I opened all my junk mail to see if the OPT OUT numbers were the same, and they were.. so that alone should eliminate a lot of mail... i'm hoping to see it slow down in the next 90 days.

I don't see the opt out number on those missing kids cards though... but honestly, if i just quit getting citi bank and amex, i'll be happy. I get something from them every other day.

Guest Electric Eel

Hey guys, was reading a magazine and found this -

GreenDimes - The organization removes you (permanently) from those lists responsible for the 70 pounds of junk mail we each receive annually. As a bonus, every month that you are a member GreenDimes plants a tree on your behalf. ($4/month)

GreenDimes

• 3 weeks later...

Greendimes is just another company that is doing what I've done except I do it for free. There are a few more companies out there doing the same.

So far my results are great but all the companies did tell me it would take a while for it to stop. I've gotten the same mailers from people who said it would stop, it's just going to take a while. But the CC and Insurance stuff has stopped now for about 2 weeks.

Guest JMT

true. Penny Saver appears to have ceased, but ShopWise is still coming. they told me it might take 2 months to stop. kind of ridiculous it takes that long, but oh well, as long as it eventually stops.

My check for the DMA just got cashed for the 1 dollar, I wrote it on 4-5-07 and today it finally cashed so it took about a month, thus why if you are going to do it, do it online, it's much faster, but at least I know over the next few weeks my name and address are gone from 75% of the lists.

My bank now will stop sending me paper statements! And my CC company has stopped sending me checks already...

Guest Electric Eel

Greendimes is just another company that is doing what I've done except I do it for free. There are a few more companies out there doing the same.

So far my results are great but all the companies did tell me it would take a while for it to stop. I've gotten the same mailers from people who said it would stop, it's just going to take a while. But the CC and Insurance stuff has stopped now for about 2 weeks.

I paid them my $36 for a year, its worth me not having to make the phone calls or emails. Plus I can sign up old roomates or people that used to live here years ago, and stop their mail that I still get. Less then a week after I did it the DMA cashed my $1.

Plus they plant a tree a month for me, its nice to give something back.

No matter which way you do it, it needs to be done. Junk mail is so annoying and worthless! Just recently I got a letter from a mortgage company offering me $20 more then i currently pay. Did they really think this was a deal for me???

I get "refinance your auto loan" mail all the time, "You could save thousands!"

Well I have a 0% loan with Ford.. lol such waste

Any way, here is some good news

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- The postal rate increase that kicks in Monday is shaping up to be a big headache for many businesses.

For the first time, the U.S. Postal Service will be charging by the shape of the mail. Many companies say they are confused and frustrated as they try to adjust to the new rules, and some say mailings could be severely curtailed due to higher postage costs.

The new regulations mean larger envelopes and packages will automatically cost more than smaller mail. Currently, postage is determined by weight, unless it's an especially large or odd-shaped package that warrants special handling.

If your solution come Monday is to stuff the same amount of material into a smaller envelope, the Postal Service could get you there, too: There are new thickness restrictions.

For first-class, letter envelopes, the allowed thickness is a quarter inch. If you go over a quarter inch, you run into more costly large envelope or parcel rates.

Postal Service spokesman Dave Partenheimer said the new rates take shape into account because it requires more effort to process a larger piece of mail.

"Before, thickness didn't matter," he said. Now, "thickness does come into play. If it gets too thick you create a new shape."

Cindy Golebiewski, an office manager in Wilmington, Del., said her company faces much higher postage costs under the new rules.

"The price is just doubling," she said.

If not for the new thickness limits, "we would be better off stuffing a 6-by-9-inch envelope than putting it into a big brown envelope," she said.

The Direct Marketing Association in New York is "very, very unhappy," said spokeswoman Stephanie Hendricks. "The rates go into effect on Monday under protest."

She complained that businesses also have to deal with a new pricing category called "not flat-machinable."

That pertains to mailings that are not flat and more rigid because they might contain things like cardboard. As such, they don't go through processing machines as easily as letters -- they have "parcel-like characteristics," Partenheimer said.

The new rules pose a problem for Roska Direct Advertising in suburban Philadelphia, which produces marketing pieces in unique shapes like small boxes.

"We're trying to figure it out," said Mario Amici, senior vice president of production, operations and project management. "The post office hasn't really explained this."

Even mailing a simple brochure may pose a problem for businesses.

Postage for a three-panel brochure weighing an ounce might cost the new rate of 41 cents -- up from 39 cents -- unless it's not folded well and the envelope puffs up to half an inch. If the mail can't be easily flattened, then the postage would shoot up to 80 cents. Under the old rules, the envelope could puff out and still cost the same.

Details of the new rates are available at www.usps.com or (800) 275-8777.

• 2 weeks later...

I called up sallie mae this morning, I asked them how I could consolidate my loans if I only have 1 loan!!!!

They send me shit all the time, so these ass clowns are off the list as well... Don't they even check their lists???

The dam Flyer is still showing up, I'll give them another month before I call them again.

Overall though, my mail is down 90% at this point. I'm very happy so far.

Guest JMT

i think these coupon bastards might sell your address or something once you cancel them. ive had a couple new bundles pop up that i have never seen before, so who knows.

the latest one made me use their website to cancel, on which they required me to enter my email address for "confirmation". yeah right, so i can then get spammed mercilessly. i just entered a bogus one and it seemed to work regardless.

overall, i have definitely noticed a reduction though. Vinny, making a site for this info might not be a bad idea.

i think these coupon bastards might sell your address or something once you cancel them. ive had a couple new bundles pop up that i have never seen before, so who knows.

the latest one made me use their website to cancel, on which they required me to enter my email address for "confirmation". yeah right, so i can then get spammed mercilessly. i just entered a bogus one and it seemed to work regardless.

overall, i have definitely noticed a reduction though. Vinny, making a site for this info might not be a bad idea.

There are a few out there already. Some are for profit, some are just free.